BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Highway Assistant...how well does it work?

06-13-2023, 01:50 PM   #23
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrazdan View Post
I finally had a chance to take my x7 60i on a road trip to the Oregon coast and really for the first time used highway assistant. I will also compare it to Tesla auto pilot which I used once briefly in my friend’s car. I have professional driver pkg so it’s all well loaded.

1. On the interstate I5 it fared much better as one would expect. But it still requires squeeze of the steering wheel may be once a min. I didn’t time it.
On the winding state road, mostly 2 lane (one lane in each direction), not so much. It was almost dangerous as I was going at 60 mph. When it gets confused and wants you to take charge you may not have much road around bend of the curve combined with the steering that resists going outside the lane if you were avoiding hitting something. Bottom line I would not use it on curvy roads, interstates are different with multiple lanes etc.
2. What it doesn’t do … compared to Tesla … on Tesla by putting destination it did a pretty good job of taking exit ramps and coming to stop at stop sign. I forget what it did on a red light. X7 does nothing like that. What it has is excellent ACC and assisted lane keeping. It’s no auto pilot.
3. BMW has a long ways to go. But of course it never claimed otherwise.
Thank you for providing an actual, first hand, impression of the new highway assistant feature is like, which is only available on 2024+ and provides hands free driving up to 85mph. This seems similar as the hands free driving in the 19-23 MY that was capped up to 45mph but now can be enabled up to 85mph.

What you describe is what I expected, an extension of the previous gen system, useful only on multi lane interstates. I drive ~60 miles round trip a few days a week in a combination of stop and go and 60-70mph traffic on mostly interstate so I wondered if this new tech would make a big difference compared to the 19-23 MY and I could keep hands off for longer periods.

I assume this system works similar to the previous gen where there’s a camera that tracks your head movement and will not let you look away for too long, correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 03:09 PM   #24
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbad View Post
Thank you for providing an actual, first hand, impression of the new highway assistant feature is like, which is only available on 2024+ and provides hands free driving up to 85mph. This seems similar as the hands free driving in the 19-23 MY that was capped up to 45mph but now can be enabled up to 85mph.

What you describe is what I expected, an extension of the previous gen system, useful only on multi lane interstates. I drive ~60 miles round trip a few days a week in a combination of stop and go and 60-70mph traffic on mostly interstate so I wondered if this new tech would make a big difference compared to the 19-23 MY and I could keep hands off for longer periods.

I assume this system works similar to the previous gen where there’s a camera that tracks your head movement and will not let you look away for too long, correct?
There is a camera at the top of the screen which ensures you are focusing on the road.

I used it extensively on a recent roadtrip (500+ miles). I can confirm the following:
  • It truly is handsfree--as long as you are looking at the road and not the radio/passenger/yourphone/etc. I was not asked to keep grabbing the wheel except occasionally if it hit a section of highway under construction and needed to switch to assist mode vs assist plus.
  • It works with sunglasses on
  • It works with light/moderate rain
  • It asks you to take over if there is heavy rain (presumably this interferes with the sensor, or maybe it is a safety feature)
  • It gradually decelerates and accelerates (it is not abrupt). Note: I do have the distance control set to the lowest option, otherwise the gap between me and the vehicle in front of me causes other vehicles to cut me off. Even the low option leaves a significant safety gap.
  • It is smooth even at 85mph. I kept mine locked into 85mph for the majority of my road trip.
Appreciate 4
Tinbad147.00
abcsoup197.50
alic9613.50
      06-13-2023, 03:21 PM   #25
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbad View Post

In reading your post, I remembered that there is a small problem reading your eyes in that the steering wheel can block your eyes from the camera in a somewhat normal position.
Appreciate 1
Tinbad147.00
      06-13-2023, 03:23 PM   #26
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
There is a camera at the top of the screen which ensures you are focusing on the road.

I used it extensively on a recent roadtrip (500+ miles). I can confirm the following:
  • It truly is handsfree--as long as you are looking at the road and not the radio/passenger/yourphone/etc. I was not asked to keep grabbing the wheel except occasionally if it hit a section of highway under construction and needed to switch to assist mode vs assist plus.
  • It works with sunglasses on
  • It asks you to take over if there is heavy rain (presumably this interferes with the sensor, or maybe it is a safety feature)
  • It gradually decelerates and accelerates (it is not abrupt). Note: I do have the distance control set to the lowest option, otherwise the gap between me and the vehicle in front of me causes other vehicles to cut me off. Even the low option leaves a significant safety gap.
  • It is smooth even at 85mph. I kept mine locked into 85mph for the majority of my road trip.
Agree except first one - may be i need to adjust my steering wheel. I was wearing polarized sun glasses but you say it shouldnt impact requiring hands on.

Also, hmm where did I see this - may be another thread, there are some interstates/roads that are fully BMW hands free and may be that is also a difference between your and my experience.
Appreciate 1
Tinbad147.00
      06-13-2023, 03:27 PM   #27
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrazdan View Post
Agree except first one - may be i need to adjust my steering wheel. I was wearing polarized sun glasses but you say it shouldnt impact requiring hands on.

Also, hmm where did I see this - may be another thread, there are some interstates/roads that are fully BMW hands free and may be that is also a difference between your and my experience.
The steering wheel is not a big problem and can be adjusted easily, but it can cause intermittent hands-free cancelation.
Appreciate 1
Tinbad147.00
      06-14-2023, 12:54 AM   #28
4gv70x7
Rep
Drives: 2023 x7 40i, 2020 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post

• It works ith sunglasses on
The one thing I notice in my 2023 LCI with the older DAPP, is that in instances where

1. traffic slows down,
2. speeds up a bit and
3. then slows down again immediately,

the acceleration and subsequent braking is a bit more aggressive between 2 and 3. When I'm in control, I usually look ahead as I'm starting to accelerate, and see that traffic is slowing down again ahead and so am much easier on the throttle and brakes. Looks like the Highway Assistant is more optimized and smoother in that scenario? I have my distance control set to the intermediate setting
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2023, 08:22 PM   #29
Streetdaddy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Do i need to code my 2020 to go up to 85?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 09:22 AM   #30
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetdaddy View Post
Do i need to code my 2020 to go up to 85?
No you would need to buy a 2024 model.
Appreciate 0