BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2015 Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix

04-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #23
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Nico Rosberg determined to rectify form in China

Nico Rosberg determined to rectify form in China

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...ese-grand-prix

Nico Rosberg says a strong finish at the Chinese Grand Prix is vital if he wants to turn his early-season form around.

Despite finishing second and third in Australia and Malaysia, Rosberg has been out-paced by Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton in qualifying and the race on both occasions. In fact, Rosberg has only beaten the world champion on track once - with victory in Brazil - since winning the 2014 German Grand Prix.

In Malaysia Rosberg did not look close to catching Hamilton, while Mercedes' run of victories was finally ended by Ferrari, and the German wants to put things right in Shanghai.

"The last race weekend was not great for me," Rosberg said. "I didn't get my lap together in qualifying, then losing time in the pits made it a tough race to fight back and try to catch Lewis. We've definitely learned some lessons and it's time to take that to the track in China."

Rosberg is hoping to draw on good memories from Shanghai, notably his maiden Formula One triumph three years ago.

"Shanghai is a great circuit for me. It's where I got my first pole and my first win back in 2012 - my third season with the Silver Arrows. It's not been a perfect start to my sixth year with the team and I'm determined to turn that around this weekend. Of course, my team-mate will have other ideas - and so will my compatriot [Sebastian Vettel] in the red car, I'm sure. But this is a track that has always suited me well, so I'm aiming to put in a strong weekend."
      04-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #24
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Renault sure it will catch Mercedes ... it's just not sure when

Renault sure it will catch Mercedes ... it's just not sure when

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...-not-sure-when

Renault says there is no reason why it cannot catch up with Mercedes under the current regulations and believes the law of diminishing returns will curb its rivals' progress in the coming years.

Despite winning three races with Red Bull last year, Renault got life under the new V6 turbo regulations off to a slow start with a significant power deficit to Mercedes. Such was the difference that Red Bull called for changes to the engine regulations at the end of last year, but Renault insists it will catch up over time.

"I would never say that we need to change the regulations in order to be assisted to catch up," Renault Sport F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul told ESPN. "I think we believe there is absolutely no reason why we could not catch up. I guess the question is just when and the amount of time needed to catch up.

"At some point at time the law of diminishing returns will kick in and it will kick in for Mercedes first and then Ferrari. This law will help us in catching them, although I'm not saying we are waiting for them to be limited. But clearly we are behind and need to develop faster and that will be supported by this law. That will happen, we have to be a bit patient but also we have to build a plan so that this delay and period that is difficult for the Red Bull-Renault group is as short as possible."

However, the rules are set so that development of the power unit is restricted further each year as parts become frozen by the regulations. By the end of 2017 35% of components will be frozen and by the end of 2018 95% of the power unit will be set in stone from a performance point of view. Abiteboul says the next two years will be crucial for the long-term success of the Renault RS34 power unit and believes the main limiting factor could be the French manufacturer's budget.

"Clearly one thing we need for the next two years is to really have the right strategy and perfect alignment with all entities that are involved to make sure we make the best possible use of the tokens we have available. This season we have some tokens remaining and more than any other engine manufacturer, so we need to make very good use of that and next year there will be quite a lot [of tokens to spend].

"We pretty much have a completely new engine [this year] and we only used 20 tokens, so you can do quite a lot of changes with the tokens we have and we may actually be more limited by funding than by tokens because it's quite expensive to use those tokens. The one thing that where we need to be very careful is that there is no guarantee that you get performance improvement when you use a token and that's why you have to use it extremely wisely.

"It's not a race of token usage and from my perspective and the next discussion we must have [at Renault] is that the objective is not to consume tokens but to improve lap time. That's why we need to stay calm, not overreact and build a plan not just for this year but next year and also 2017. It's not the job of one winter to cover the type of deficit we have [to Mercedes]."

Speaking in Malaysia, Abiteboul said there was still a lot of performance to be unlocked from this year's power unit.

"We had better driveability, that's for sure, but in two weeks [between Australia and Malaysia] we could not address 100% of the problem, I would say we have addressed 60% and it is already making a big difference. There is more to come on the driveability side and now we really need to put all of that behind us and focus on what is really missing which is a bit of power. I say a bit because we are not miles away and we start to see that at certain straights and at certain parts of the race. We know what we must do and we are not too surprised to be where we are."

Renault insists there is no reason why it cannot catch up with Mercedes under the current regulations and believes the law of diminishing returns will curb its rivals' progress in the coming years.

Despite winning three races with Red Bull last year, Renault got life under the new V6 turbo regulations off to a slow start with a significant power deficit to Mercedes. Such was the difference that Red Bull has called for changes to the engine regulations since, but Renault insists it will catch up over time.

"I would never say that we need to change the regulations in order to be assisted to catch up," Renault Sport F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul said. "I think we believe there is absolutely no reason why we could not catch up. I guess the question is just when and the amount of time needed to catch up.

"At some point at time the law of diminishing returns will kick in and it will kick in for Mercedes first and then Ferrari. This law will help us in catching them, although I'm not saying we are waiting for them to be limited. But clearly we are behind and need to develop faster and that will be supported by this law. That will happen, we have to be a bit patient but also we have to build a plan so that this delay and period that is difficult for the Red Bull-Renault group is as short as possible."

However, the rules are set so that development of the power unit is further restricted each year as parts become frozen by the regulations. By the end of 2017 35% of components will be frozen and by the end of 2018 95% of the power unit will be set in stone from a performance point of view. Abiteboul says the next two years will be crucial for the long-term success of the Renault power unit, although he believes the main limiting factor could be the French manufacturer's budget.

"Clearly one thing we need for the next two years is to really have the right strategy and perfect alignment with all entities that are involved to make sure we make the best possible use of the tokens we have available. This season we have some tokens remaining and more than any other engine manufacturer, so we need to make very good use of that and next year there will be quite a lot [of tokens to spend].

"We pretty much have a completely new engine [this year] and we only used 20 tokens, so you can do quite a lot of changes with the tokens we have and we may actually be more limited by funding than by tokens because it's quite expensive to use those tokens. The one thing that where we need to be very careful is that there is no guarantee that you get performance improvement when you use a token and that's why you have to use it extremely wisely.

"It's not a race of token usage and from my perspective and the next discussion we must have [at Renault] is that the objective is not to consume tokens but to improve lap time. That's why we need to stay calm, not overreact and build a plan not just for this year but next year and also 2017. It's not the job of one winter to cover the type of deficit we have [to Mercedes]."

Speaking in Malaysia, Abiteboul said there was still a lot of performance to be unlocked from this year's power unit.

"We had better driveability, that's for sure, but in two weeks [between Australia and Malaysia] we could not address 100% of the problem, I would say we have addressed 60% and it is already making a big difference. There is more to come on the driveability side and now we really need to put all of that behind us and focus on what is really missing which is a bit of power. I say a bit because we are not miles away and we start to see that at certain straights and at certain parts of the race. We know what we must do and we are not too surprised to be where we are."
      04-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #25
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
James Allison explains Ferrari's nose design

James Allison explains Ferrari's nose design

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...ri-nose-design

James Allison has explained the reasons behind Ferrari's long nose design this year and revealed that the team is working on shorter versions as a part of future updates.

From launch it was clear Ferrari had adopted a different philosophy to its nose design than most of its main rivals. Unlike the short noses on the Mercedes, Red Bull and Williams for example, the Ferrari design sees the nose tip extend beyond the front edge of the front wing.

The general thinking among Ferrari's rivals is that the shorter the nose the better and Red Bull is believed to have an even shorter nose in the pipeline which has yet to pass the necessary crash tests to make it to the car. Although the Ferrari appears to be the odd one out among the front runners, Allison explained that the design of the front bulkhead means it is unlikely the nose on the SF15-T will get significantly shorter.

"We will keep working on it, is the honest answer," he said when asked if there were plans for a shorter nose. "There's a few physical limitations, the rules for the crash tests are such that you have to absorb a certain energy without going above a certain G level, and that requires your nose to be a minimum length.

"Where our front bulkhead is makes it rather difficult for us to get a nose that is super-duper short and still pass the crash test. We can go shorter than we are now, but we probably can't go as short as some of the others, but that's one of those things."

Allison said the updates would continue to come thick and fast to the Ferrari as the team aims to consistently challenge Mercedes for wins.

"We're not going to stay conservative, we ae going to be shovelling performance onto the car as quickly as we can find it and make it. There is a bag load in the pipeline at the factory at the moment and that will find its way onto the car as soon as we can. There will be more coming after that, but the aero programme is performing strongly and these are still quite young aero rules, so we can expect more from it.

"Ditto the engine, the whole situation with the tokens means it's a very different situation to last year and, notwithstanding the gains we've made to date, we think we can add a lot more during the year."
      04-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #26
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

04-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #27
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Shanghai to be warmer than expected

Shanghai to be warmer than expected

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/04/0...than-expected/

Hot temperatures played a pivotal role in deciding the outcome of the last race in Malaysia, where in sweltering temperatures Ferrari seized the initiative from Mercedes because they were able to take better care of their tyres.

But while it is expected that a return to cooler conditions in Shanghai will play into Mercedes’ hands, the weather this weekend is not going to be quite as cold as originally expected.

Shanghai typically sees fairly cool conditions compared to the other races on the calendar. Air temperatures have struggled to get above 15C since the teams arrived at the track.

However the weekend forecast has been steadily improving. All week long models have indicated a progressive increase in temperatures between now and Sunday, and the race day high is now expected to exceed 20C.

But that’s still considerably less than at Malaysia, where air temperatures frequently surpassed 30C. Unlike Malaysia, however, as yet there is no indication rain is likely to affect proceedings, though a light shower may arrive as teams are packing up on Sunday evening.
      04-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #28
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
This will be a Merc 1-2 (I'm going to copy and paste this into every race thread for the rest of the season. It's probably going to be accurate 80-90% of the time).
You know it.
Unless something happens that is crazy, Merc will own it again.
It's fine for me, I like Hamilton.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #29
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
You know it.
Unless something happens that is crazy, Merc will own it again.
It's fine for me, I like Hamilton.

Hoping for a Merc smack down.

Last edited by hellrotm; 04-09-2015 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #30
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Man arrested after running across track during Chinese Grand Prix FP2

LOL WTF???

Man arrested after running across track during Chinese Grand Prix FP2

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...grand-prix-fp2

A man who ran across the pit straight during the second practice session for the Chinese Grand Prix has been arrested.

The man managed to climb the 10-foot high catchfencing that lines the pit straight and hurdle the Armco barrier to gain access to the live race track. He then crossed the pit straight as a Force India exited the final corner before scaling the pit wall and heading for the Ferrari garage.

The intruder, who was in possession of a grandstand ticket, reportedly said he wanted to try a car before he was apprehended by marshals and handed over to local police.

The FIA is investigating the incident along with circuit officials.
      04-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #31
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #32
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

My predictions:

1. Hamilton
2. Vettel
3. Rosberg
4. Kimi
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #33
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

damn i am in hk and going to china on wednesday. didn't realize the race was this weekend!!
      04-10-2015, 03:07 PM   #34
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Kimi looked hungry in the practice sessions. He was not happy after the last race to say the least. I think we can look forward to a really good fight between Kimi and Vettel this weekend, hopefully both cars will run ok and without crashes. They are both rather shrewed in wheel to wheel racing and don't give an inch.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #35
Tibo
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 128i M6 Sport Pkg

Kvyat didn't make Q3 :

'I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence.'
Ayrton Senna
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 01:00 AM   #36
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Will Maldonado crash today?
      04-12-2015, 02:07 AM   #37
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Maldonado almost crashed at the pit entrance. lol
      04-12-2015, 02:45 AM   #38
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
CRASH-DONADO tapped with Button and then retired with brake failure.

Ham/Ros/Vet. Most boring race ever.
      04-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #39
Tibo
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 128i M6 Sport Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post

Ham/Ros/Vet. Most boring race ever.
100% agree...
+ race finish with the SC with Kimi coming back on VET, could have been the only big moment...but no

'I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence.'
Ayrton Senna
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #40
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Highlight of the race:

- Maldonado overshoot pit entrance, trying to kill Chinese Marshals.
- Watching the Marshals doing a 52-point-turn to remove the stranded Toro Rosso.

conclusion: watching Chinese Marshals are more exciting than the race/drivers.
      04-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #41
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Thank God for Maldonado's comic relief. Otherwise they could have phoned this one in.

Mercedes 1-2, Ferrari 3-4, Renaults blowing up all over, Maldo looking like a fool. Like they're following a script.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #42
dim635csi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Highlight of the race:

- Maldonado overshoot pit entrance, trying to kill Chinese Marshals.
- Watching the Marshals doing a 52-point-turn to remove the stranded Toro Rosso.

conclusion: watching Chinese Marshals are more exciting than the race/drivers.
Are yellow flag finishes now a regular routine for open wheel racing ? Even Nascar figured something to get some racing for checkered flag...

Inaugural NOLA Indycar had like 7 yellows with first afterlap incidents and Hinch crawling to the victory just by staying out of trouble...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #43
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Kimi gets foiled yet again.
      04-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #44
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Eh, it wasn't a bad race. Then again, it wasn't a particularly good one either. At least it was watchable.

Oh and https://twitter.com/didpastorcrash

*SPOILER*
THEY'RE COUNTING IT!!!
Appreciate 0