BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BMW X7 SUV Arriving in 2018, Including Higher Luxury Bespoke Version

04-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #67
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Be more ambitious and wait for the full size cargo van M variant.
For the blue-collar working man? They already got that covered back in 2011 buddy:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501785

I actually do want one of those...then again, I did grow up in Australia.
      04-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #68
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
So I put a post up about the 760Li and how the M Performance division is making some great cars. It got moved then locked.
But this thread is fine?

Bad moderating.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:05 AM   #69
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
Have you ever owned a G-Wagen? I've never had one of our Land Rovers or Range Rovers leave me broken down, but every AMG G ('14 G63, '15 G63, '16 G65) has at least once.
3 of my best friends have a G63 and I myself have an SL63 with an uprated version of the same engine and transmission and not a single problem for any of us so far. My father's S-class was bulletproof too. Meanwhile my girlfriend's new Range Rover Sport lasted all of 3 weeks before it failed to start. I'm trading in my Cayenne turbo for the new G500 4X4^2 soon.

I've only started driving for 5 years now but I'm pretty sure there's going to be a lot more Mercs and AMG's in my future given the kind of build quality and reliability they offer. Maybe Land Rovers appeal to older people - I wouldn't know
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #70
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
3 of my best friends have a G63 and I myself have an SL63 with an uprated version of the same engine and transmission and not a single problem for any of us so far. My father's S-class was bulletproof too. Meanwhile my girlfriend's new Range Rover Sport lasted all of 3 weeks before it failed to start. I'm trading in my Cayenne turbo for the new G500 4X4^2 soon.

I've only started driving for 5 years now but I'm pretty sure there's going to be a lot more Mercs and AMG's in my future given the kind of build quality and reliability they offer. Maybe Land Rovers appeal to older people - I wouldn't know
The UAE/ME is a unique environment (not much rain). MB G's in more moist markets are showing early rust at the lower windshield seal (right side, 25-50mm from the edge), 2014 builds had a QC problem with the roof to body welds and leak water like crazy, the AMG's cannot meet the minuscule 15" Fording Depth as the off-throttle vacuum created when the remaining boost is dumped over-board sucking water into the cats which destroys them, and there isn't much room in the engine bay to deal with heat so turbo seals and gaskets are prematurely failing. Add to that the crappy hood springs that bind leaving the hood to lift and bend the latch at even low speeds, door strikers that need adjustment every 1500-2500 miles, and wheel speed sensors that are susceptible to moisture and contamination, leading to persistent ESP faults and reduced driving performance.

Not sure what you'd count as "older", but I doubt early 30's in my case constitutes that description.

A G-Wagen is a special thing, especially in AMG guise; uncomfortable, impractical, and noisy as hell inside. It also has a certain panache, feels as if it's made from depleted uranium, is beastly loud outside to the point small children cry at its growl, and spits flames out the side-pipes on downshifts. To say it's better, more capable, higher quality, and more reliable than a Range Rover though is stretching reality quite far.

The BMW Range Rover years were awful. I won't deny that. I worked for JLR at the time of the Tata Acquisition, and warranty claims dropped 60% just by dumping the BMW powerplants. Reliability continued to improve as more and more BMW sub-systems went away. Then came the 2010 Range Rover and the first attempt at current technology. Not the best idea, but they had to start somewhere. All brands have more problematic cars at times, but LR is night and day difference from where it was 10 years ago.
Appreciate 0