Yesterday, 12:43 PM   #1
dmytro_usa
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Bmw x7 bowers&wilkins installation

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Thinking of installing used original B&W sound system in my vehicle. Is it even possible? This set is on Ebay
Attached Images

Last edited by dmytro_usa; Yesterday at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tyriondo120.50
      Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #2
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
Where’s the center speaker from the dash?

Unless you have significant experience as installer you’d probably be asking for trouble.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #3
dmytro_usa
United_States
Rep

Other pictures have center speaker. I can handle wiring but my main concern is programing or coding.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #4
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytro_usa View Post
Thinking of installing used original B&W sound system in my vehicle. Is it even possible?
Hellooo

In all honesty, you are diving into expensive, yet DANGEROUS territory with trying to retrofit the B&W Diamond Surround Sound System - given how complex the system is, I wouldn't risk my warranty being voided if that thing fails for some reason.

That said, an alternative solution I could suggest to you would be coding the B&W sound settings via bimmercode. I drive a 2021 BMW 330i that has iDrive 7 and Harman Kardon (his name is Hrag!) and I have the B&W sound settings coded/enabled! With these new settings, I can change the music profiles (e.g., Movie Theatre mode, concert mode, etc.) and I think it enhances the sound on the H/K system!

If you know anyone who is a sound/audio engineer, they can go into the equalizer and get crazy! Although if you are like me and you don't, then I would suggest that you still mess with the equalizer and see if that helps? I don't know anything about frequencies or what an equalizer even is, I just kept moving things around until it sounded good.

Lastly, I've been fooling around with some music software and I've added both a reverb and a 3D effect to some of my favorite songs and I think that, along with the B&W settings on the H/K system, really enhances the experience! I've got quite a few compliments on my vehicle's sound system and so I hope this helps!

Keep us posted and let us know if you decide to go through with it or maybe another alternative!

Down below is a link to "Bavsound", which is a company that offers sound system - upgrades that are specifically compatible to BMW's and I've heard good things about them! There is also a user who did a Bavsound upgrade on his/her/their X5 and they posted a DIY - link will also be down below!

Bavsound: https://www.bavsound.com/

User DIY (Bavsound): https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1846757

Best,
Cameron!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:17 PM   #5
dmytro_usa
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam330i View Post
Hellooo

In all honesty, you are diving into expensive, yet DANGEROUS territory with trying to retrofit the B&W Diamond Surround Sound System - given how complex the system is, I wouldn't risk my warranty being voided if that thing fails for some reason.

That said, an alternative solution I could suggest to you would be coding the B&W sound settings via bimmercode. I drive a 2021 BMW 330i that has iDrive 7 and Harman Kardon (his name is Hrag!) and I have the B&W sound settings coded/enabled! With these new settings, I can change the music profiles (e.g., Movie Theatre mode, concert mode, etc.) and I think it enhances the sound on the H/K system!

If you know anyone who is a sound/audio engineer, they can go into the equalizer and get crazy! Although if you are like me and you don't, then I would suggest that you still mess with the equalizer and see if that helps? I don't know anything about frequencies or what an equalizer even is, I just kept moving things around until it sounded good.

Lastly, I've been fooling around with some music software and I've added both a reverb and a 3D effect to some of my favorite songs and I think that, along with the B&W settings on the H/K system, really enhances the experience! I've got quite a few compliments on my vehicle's sound system and so I hope this helps!

Keep us posted and let us know if you decide to go through with it or maybe another alternative!

Down below is a link to "Bavsound", which is a company that offers sound system - upgrades that are specifically compatible to BMW's and I've heard good things about them! There is also a user who did a Bavsound upgrade on his/her/their X5 and they posted a DIY - link will also be down below!

Bavsound: https://www.bavsound.com/

User DIY (Bavsound): https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1846757

Best,
Cameron!
Thank you for good info but I'm still thinking of going with hard way as long as I can find good deal on B&W set. I'll do detail video if I ever come up installing this system. I used to have B&O in my Audi A8 and it was amazing.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:35 PM   #6
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

Quote:
Thank you for good info but I'm still thinking of going with hard way as long as I can find good deal on B&W set. I'll do detail video if I ever come up installing this system. I used to have B&O in my Audi A8 and it was amazing.
I have a 2023 Audi A8 with B&O and IMHO its garbage. It is amazing how we think grass is greener on the other side.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #7
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

Quote:
Thinking of installing used original B&W sound system in my vehicle. Is it even possible? This set is on Ebay
This would be very very difficult and could be causing all kinds of electrical issues and likely no one, even the dealer would be able to easily fix.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #8
dmytro_usa
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
I have a 2023 Audi A8 with B&O and IMHO its garbage. It is amazing how we think grass is greener on the other side.
Possibly.
I would not argue with you on that.

I used to have Audi A8 D4 2011 with B&O and again it was impressive.
As we know 10-15 years ago the quality of build used to be way better then nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:59 PM   #9
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

It will be a nightmare on many levels. I don’t think it’s worth the risk. It would be far better in trading in and repurchase a factory B&W vehicle. Not to mention no body will want your retrofited vehicle with such extensive work let alone what you paid for the equipment.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #10
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' X7 M60i; 22' TRX

I guess I'll be the lone supporter here. Theoretically I can see this retrofit entirely possible with the pre-LCI.

I'm 99% sure the 16 matching speakers between the HK and B&W would be a plug and play (which makes sense from a manufacturing perspective), where you would have to get creative would be the 4 "3D speakers" in the headliner, make sure you measure twice and cut once on those... Now I agree with others the value proposition isn't there, but if you wanted to do it because you can, then go for it.
Appreciate 1
ledphut164.50
      Yesterday, 04:39 PM   #11
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek View Post
I guess I'll be the lone supporter here. Theoretically I can see this retrofit entirely possible with the pre-LCI.

I'm 99% sure the 16 matching speakers between the HK and B&W would be a plug and play (which makes sense from a manufacturing perspective), where you would have to get creative would be the 4 "3D speakers" in the headliner, make sure you measure twice and cut once on those... Now I agree with others the value proposition isn't there, but if you wanted to do it because you can, then go for it.
There are supposedly gray market B&W systems on AliExpress that are plug and play. I thought posters here had done that changeover (with no issues) from HK to the gray market B&W system that is a dead ringer for the factory B&W system.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #12
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' X7 M60i; 22' TRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
There are supposedly gray market B&W systems on AliExpress that are plug and play. I thought posters here had done that changeover (with no issues) from HK to the gray market B&W system that is a dead ringer for the factory B&W system.
I can believe it. There are 2 levels of install here. You can absolutely just swap out the existing speakers, that's not a problem, which I assume the AliExpress retrofits are. The more difficult parts are the 4 extra speakers as well as swapping the amp/controller(s) out and then the coding to the B&W system. I know some folks have used Bimmercode or equivalent to code their pre-LCI to have the B&W sound profiles, so that's why I think it should be possible to fully retrofit it in.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:22 PM   #13
tinfoiltuna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

How much are you willing to spend? I ask because you can get an aftermarket system professionally installed that will be in another world. Talking Morel speakers, JL subs, Helix active DSP. It’s what I have in my X3, and the B&W - though still being a great system that also looks great - really is astonishing.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:20 PM   #14
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Garage List
As someone who has the B&W system, I think a much more realistic and cost effective option would be adding a sub to the HK system. It'll give you a lot of the low end that's missing and make the system sound fuller. I'd argue that unless you're a serious audiophile you're apt to get similar gains going that route. The B&W does mids and highs really well, but it's still lacking on the low end.

A quality sub can go a long way. My personal reccomendation would be the Audison APBX 10 AS2, which is a powered and compact unit that can fit in the spare tire well.
      Yesterday, 06:27 PM   #15
dmytro_usa
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No worries on the headliner 4 speakers installation, it’s pre-stamped from the factory, every BMW X7 headliner have marks on the back side where you need to cut the holes. By looking on wiring diagram H/K(this what I have) and B&W it’s not 100% plug and play some wires needs to be exchange but again wiring is not an issue for me, I can handle that. Programming and coding what I’m studying right now.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:30 PM   #16
dmytro_usa
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
Only used original! No China 🙂
Appreciate 1
keg97154.50
      Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #17
dmytro_usa
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can believe it. There are 2 levels of install here. You can absolutely just swap out the existing speakers, that's not a problem, which I assume the AliExpress retrofits are. The more difficult parts are the 4 extra speakers as well as swapping the amp/controller(s) out and then the coding to the B&W system. I know some folks have used Bimmercode or equivalent to code their pre-LCI to have the B&W sound profiles, so that's why I think it should be possible to fully retrofit it in.
Every BMW X7 headliner factory pre-stamped! Back side headliner will have marks where to cut the holes.
I could’ve went with swapping speakers but I want 100 % B&W factory setup.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #18
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
As someone who has the B&W system, I think a much more realistic and cost effective option would be adding a sub to the HK system. It'll give you a lot of the low end that's missing and make the system sound fuller. I'd argue that unless you're a serious audiophile you're apt to get similar gains going that route. The B&W does mids and highs really well, but it's still lacking on the low end.

A quality sub can go a long way. My personal reccomendation would be the Audison APBX 10 AS2, which is a powered and compact unit that can fit in the spare tire well.
Agree with this! We added a sub to the HK system and then added in the B&W programming through Bimmercode and it's an entirely different system.

Sounds like OP is skilled enough to knock out the full B&W install though. Can't wait to see the pics of the final product!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #19
dmytro_usa
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoiltuna View Post
How much are you willing to spend? I ask because you can get an aftermarket system professionally installed that will be in another world. Talking Morel speakers, JL subs, Helix active DSP. It’s what I have in my X3, and the B&W - though still being a great system that also looks great - really is astonishing.
Only used original parts. Hopping to find good deal on set! Don’t want to spend over 3k for it.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #20
dmytro_usa
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon View Post

It’s not about a bass, I think H/K pushing enough bass (my opinion). It’s about symphony sound that I believe B/W do.
I see you in CA, I’m in FL! I guess I need to find someone locally with B&W to check it out myself and make a call after that if I need one or not. Problem is it’s hard to make a decision because some people say it’s way better than H/K and some like you that it’s not worth it. I don’t know maybe I’m to picky but in my previous audi A8 2011 B&O was amazing and I’m hopping B&W does the same.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:31 PM   #21
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

Quote:
It’s not about a bass, I think H/K pushing enough bass (my opinion). It’s about symphony sound that I believe B/W do.
I see you in CA, I’m in FL! I guess I need to find someone locally with B&W to check it out myself and make a call after that if I need one or not. Problem is it’s hard to make a decision because some people say it’s way better than H/K and some like you that it’s not worth it. I don’t know maybe I’m to picky but in my previous audi A8 2011 B&O was amazing and I’m hopping B&W does the same.
Yea I had H/K in my X5 and I think the sound is muddy. It has good enough bass for my ears but lacks detail for the mids and highs
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:01 PM   #22
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
Yea I had H/K in my X5 and I think the sound is muddy. It has good enough bass for my ears but lacks detail for the mids and highs
Agree with this. I have the 5K 23 speaker B&O upgrade in our Q7. It's awesome- lots of crisp highs and nice mids. I did add a sub into it to get a nice low end ooomph. It is worlds better than the HK system in our X7s.

Describing the stock HK as muddy is on target. However giving it the B&W processing through Bimmercode allows you to hide some of the lack of depth, highs/mids through the surround sound processing.
Appreciate 0