BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2011 Formula 1 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix

04-10-2011, 05:19 AM   #45
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
why cant adrian make KERS work properly on the RBRs everyone else's is working!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #46
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkx5m View Post
why cant adrian make KERS work properly on the RBRs everyone else's is working!
I think because he's more of an Aerodynamist...instead of mechanical, or electrical engineer......
      04-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #47
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Some more sunday pics...
Attached Images

04-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #48
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso have no complaints about the punishments handed to them by the stewards of the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Both drivers were given 20-second post-race penalties for their driving during a close battle that ended in a collision.

Hamilton was deemed to have breached Article 20.2 of the Sporting Regulations, which outlaws "manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers" - in Hamilton's case changing his line twice while blocking Alonso on lap 45.

"I knew I was going to get a penalty, I'm not surprised," Hamilton was quoted by Autosport. "I was in with the stewards, so I anticipated it. I always try to assume the worst-case scenario. It's only one spot, and it's not really made me feel any worse than how the weekend has gone anyway."

When asked if it was fair, he replied: "It's racing. I'm not going to argue or disagree with the penalty. From my side I'm not allowed to move more than once. Do I class it as dangerous? No, but that's the rule.

"Twenty seconds is not such a bad penalty for it. As for Fernando, he hit me, he got a 20-second penalty, but it didn't really do anything to him. It doesn't exactly work out as a penalty, but again, that's racing."

Alonso was penalised for breaking Article 16.1 when he caused an avoidable accident attempting to pass Hamilton on lap 46. The collision resulted in damage to the rear of the McLaren and a broken front wing on the Ferrari.

"It doesn't change positions, so there is no a big drama," he said. "I finished sixth in the race anyway, and it was a race incident. I tried to overtake, we touched each other and unfortunately I broke the front wing and had to pit again, and I lost the podium possibility. But in the next race I will try again."

Asked who he blamed for the collision, Alonso said: "It is one of those things. You try and race and we touched each other. The stewards called us to see our opinions and the decision is this.

"We are not the ones that decide, or have anything to say about the decision. We try to race, to try to enjoy the race in the cockpit and hopefully next time we finish both with no problems."
http://en.espnf1.com/malaysia/motors...ory/45719.html
      04-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #49
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

DRS System

Sorry if this has been asked and answered previously, but why do some of the rear wings (Torro Rosso during qualifying), not completely close when not in use? There is definitely a gap that can be seen when the wing is supposed to be fully closed. Any ideas?

PS: please forgive my post title faux pau. DRS = Drag Reduction System, so my title reads as Drag Reduction System System. YIKES!

Last edited by SonnyJack; 04-10-2011 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: i'm an idiot
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #50
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Interesting. I didn't see that LH did anything wrong during that contact, and that FA just seem to misjudge his closing rate. Was a Steward review really necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #51
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

another bullshit penalty. I saw TONS of multiple defenses during that race and only one driver got a penalty, a lot of them way way WAY worse.

Such BS.
      04-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #52
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Great race by Renault, both drivers had a fantastic start

But Vettle dominated from pole again, wonder what happened to Webber at the start

The LH penalty seems bs but I don't even remember seeing it. Happened a lap before Alonso hit LH, maybe it wasn't even broadcasted
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #53
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The rules state that you are only allowed one move to block. Hamilton by his own admission made two moves to block Alonzo forcing Alonzo to draft until the last second to pass him thus resulting in Alonzo touching Hamilton's right rear tire and damaging Alono's wing. Alonzo would have finished fouth instead of seventh if Hamilton had not blocked twice, so Alonzo is the one who lost out.
According to that article, the accident happened lap 46, while hamiltons illegal block happened on lap 45
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #54
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Interesting. I didn't see that LH did anything wrong during that contact, and that FA just seem to misjudge his closing rate. Was a Steward review really necessary?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The rules state that you are only allowed one move to block. Hamilton by his own admission made two moves to block Alonzo forcing Alonzo to draft until the last second to pass him thus resulting in Alonzo touching Hamilton's right rear tire and damaging Alono's wing. Alonzo would have finished fouth instead of seventh if Hamilton had not blocked twice, so Alonzo is the one who lost out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
According to that article, the accident happened lap 46, while hamiltons illegal block happened on lap 45
I don't really recall, but the same thing happened last year when Petrov was following LH on Malaysia. And LH was warned for excessive weaving...this time he got a penalty...

and FA was the move that broke his own wing....

I'd say the penalty was a bit harsh regardless..
      04-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #55
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
I just watched the review, technically LH did "moved" more than "once"....

When he exit the last turn onto the start-finish straight, he moved left to the middle of the track....then moved right about 3/4 car width....then move right to prepare for turn 1....

the move was very smooth and gradual....i dun see it as "excessive weaving" like last year....

for FA....I hardly calls it "avoidable accident"....then FIA is gonna penalize everyone has a broken wing on the first lap....c'mon...this is motor racing....its wheels to wheels and close battle...what's that to discourage a quality battle.....

we don't need fake overtake with KERS and DRS....i'd prefer a good battle between drivers like SPA 2008, Interlagos 2009, Turkish 2010, and between LH/FA and NH/MW yesterday.....friggin FIA...
      04-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #56
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't really recall, but the same thing happened last year when Petrov was following LH on Malaysia. And LH was warned for excessive weaving...this time he got a penalty...

and FA was the move that broke his own wing....

I'd say the penalty was a bit harsh regardless..
Agreed. If LH had been warned and he engaged in the same activity then his penalty was warranted, but I don't see how FA (and I ain't a fan) did anything wrong except make a mistake and damage his own car/chances for a podium. Harsh result for FA.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #57
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
LH is probably drowning his sorrows on Zima and low-fat bon-bons. Oh well. On to China!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #58
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
I just watched the review, technically LH did "moved" more than "once"....

When he exit the last turn onto the start-finish straight, he moved left to the middle of the track....then moved right about 3/4 car width....then move right to prepare for turn 1....

the move was very smooth and gradual....i dun see it as "excessive weaving" like last year....

for FA....I hardly calls it "avoidable accident"....then FIA is gonna penalize everyone has a broken wing on the first lap....c'mon...this is motor racing....its wheels to wheels and close battle...what's that to discourage a quality battle.....

we don't need fake overtake with KERS and DRS....i'd prefer a good battle between drivers like SPA 2008, Interlagos 2009, Turkish 2010, and between LH/FA and NH/MW yesterday.....friggin FIA...
Lewis' penalty was unexpected, but as he said that is the rule. Unfortunate that the rest of the field got away with it though.

For Alonso, hitting the back of the car infront is what i'd call an avoidable accident. Plus, Lewis' pace was shot ever since he put on the Hard tires. Alonso would have had him at the next corner regardless. I'd say both penalties had merit.

However, it is unfortunate that Lewis was the only one to truly be penalised from it as Alonso remained P6 and Lewis dropped to P8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
LH is probably drowning his sorrows on Zima and low-fat bon-bons. Oh well. On to China!
What are you talking about?
      04-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #59
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I'll admit, I was disappointed that Lewis didn't bring home the 3rd place. Nothing he could do about his shoddy pit stop. It almost felt like they put on a wrong set of tires for him though. As soon as he came out of the pits he had no pace.
      04-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #60
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I'll admit, I was disappointed that Lewis didn't bring home the 3rd place. Nothing he could do about his shoddy pit stop. It almost felt like they put on a wrong set of tires for him though. As soon as he came out of the pits he had no pace.
Tire management seems as though it's going to be a BIG ongoing problem. The announcers were speculating that LH used up most of his soft tire allotment during qualifying and therefore had no more soft sets to use, thus requiring the hard compounds. With the huge difference in performance between the hard and soft tires I'm thinking they will have to re-evaluate their qualifying strategy going forward because the hard tires appear to be absolute shit.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #61
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Looking at the results, perhaps. But actually watching Q3 was anything but boring. Hamilton got robbed on the very last lap in the session.
Agree. I thought it was anything but boring. I was really nervous thinking that LH had pole for sure, then at the last minute to see SV pull out a fabulous lap had me jumping out of my seat Exciting stuff.

Exciting race. McLaren are catching RBR which should make things interesting. Hope MW's bad luck stops soon. Want to see him in the hunt for the championship. I was so stoked for Heidfeld! What a great way to shut the mouth's of the critics. Fantastic first corner pass and podium finish. I'm hoping that Renault continue to show this type of competitiveness. A 4 team battle to the wire for the championship at season's end would be fabulous. Man....really hope MS can get his shit together soon. It's starting to smell like Jordan's second comeback

Last edited by KANdaddy; 04-10-2011 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #62
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black M3 DCT

Another dominating performance by SV. This race was more interesting I believe. One person I am still sort of shocked to see doing so bad is Schumacher- getting passed by rookies is not a good look for him.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #63
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
I am not sure if LH problem were tires of some sort of mechanical problem. Right after he put on the hard tires, he was catching up to Vettle. Then he pits out of nowhere, so I thought maybe his tires were shot, but even after the stop he was still off the pace

and how can the penalty of FA be too harsh when it didnt cost him anything? lol
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #64
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I actually thought I heard LH lift off the throttle a bit to cause FA to rear-end him. Maybe I'm crazy but I erased it from my TiVo so I can't go back and listen.

I thought Lotus Renault ran an awesome race. Hell, even the Petrov incident was interesting. Kobayashi is intriguing as hell to watch and it keeps seeming like Shumi is phoning it in.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #65
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Is Petrov ok? He got a few feet off the ground and I cant imagine that something like that is good for your back.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #66
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

I was at the race... Never thought F1 could be THAT loud. I mean, I know it wasn't a fricking Prius, but Jesus Christ.

So sick though
Appreciate 0