BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion The Hollywood-Elite University Cheating Scandal

View Poll Results: Are you surprised that the Hollywood Elite have been caught in another scandal?
Nope...their hypocrisy knows no bounds. 48 73.85%
Yes...they are just like you and me with more money. 4 6.15%
Nothing to see here folks...just 21st century Helicopter Parents x 10. 13 20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #133
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
1714
Rep
4,828
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Ummmm....perhaps those that work hard and didn't get in because these people were able to lie, deceive, and buy their way in. Most importantly, much of what transpired was illegal hence the reason why the FBI got involved. There is no rationalizing this.

So whats the difference when rich parents make a donation to the school. You don't that that sort of thing influences recruiting? What about schools that have reserved seats for foreign students who pay higher tuition then local kids? How about nearly every athletic scholarship?

This is a market driven economy folks...sure it's not right but no one should be surprised.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #134
spetsnazos
Captain
655
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
^ This really hits the nail right on the head, but it also comes back around and proves it is worse in 'Hollywood'.

The problem here, is that the vast majority of wealthy individuals in America (contrary to popular belief) are not mean and evil crooks. It is very difficult to get rich and be a total asshole. To make it to the top of a large company as CEO or CFO, or to really do well starting your own business requires hard work, drive, and an aura or attitude that makes people like you and want to work for you and around you.

Seriously - if you go and spend time at any C-Suite function or somewhere where wealth is present, you will find some of the most hard working yet likable people you've ever met.

When it comes to Hollywood, however, these traits rarely apply and most have ended up where they are through hard work, but also through lots of luck and receive paychecks that are not commensurate with what normal people in the real world receive for the same work and ambition. As such, these types of folks are not usually in the same mindset and category as most wealthy people and as the poster I quoted stated, lie in an area "where wealth far exceeds your integrity thing".

I would imagine it is the same for sports stars, trust fund people, and the like.

Throw the book at them - because this type of behavior screams 'bourgeois class' and is the antithesis of what America is supposed to be.
Most intelligent post in the thread.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent8622.00

      03-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #135
adc100
Captain
544
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
So whats the difference when rich parents make a donation to the school. You don't that that sort of thing influences recruiting? What about schools that have reserved seats for foreign students who pay higher tuition then local kids? How about nearly every athletic scholarship?

This is a market driven economy folks...sure it's not right but no one should be surprised.
OK so is it right or not??
You said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Why is this even a story. Who does this hurt? If they want to buy their way into school who cares.
You are just throwing out words. How about explaining what YOU THINK
And apparently you care..you are posting :shrug"

After rereading:
Well guess you really think it is wrong, but that's about it...its no big deal.

Last edited by adc100; 03-16-2019 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #136
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1303
Rep
2,156
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Do you know the number of seats acquired through this particular fraud? Hint: it isn't "almost nil."

Also- while I understand the point you're making about other programs impacting the number of truly open seats... It is flawed reasoning to equate bribery and fraud with achieving an advantage legally.
It’s doubtful the total number would add up to a single state university, such as 30,000 students. There are approximately 19m undergrad college students. Even if the number were 30k of fraudulent entries it would represent .15%, meaning 99.85% wouldn’t have been impacted. But I do get that the 1% are not targeting podunk colleges so the impact is not consistent across the board. Unless somehow the fraudulent students are much higher.

And please do not take that as I am defending these people. These are the same people who expect a cop not to give them a ticket because of their status or literally be able to get away with murder.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #137
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
4254
Rep
4,411
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard5040 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
When in doubt, name Trump. So weak. So pathetic. Was there really not a single conservative family involved in this scandal? Did you even try to find one; or did TDS cause your to "pop off before you know the facts?"
What's that old law school maxim, "Don't ask a question you don't already know the answer to". In no particular order and I did add their contributions to republican candidates where I could find them: Mossimo Giannulli and Lori Loughlin ($13k), Gamal Abdelaziz ($73k), Gregory and Marcia Abbot, Todd and Diane Blake, Gordon Caplan ($63k), Robert Flaxman ($135k), Douglas Hodge ($44k), Amy and Gregory Colburn, Toby MacFarland, John Wilson, Robert Zangrillo ($86k), Michelle Janavs and Dayna and Bruce Isackson. I didn't bother with the coaches and admissions officers who took bribes. It looks like the hypocrisy is split pretty evenly between both parties. Imagine that, an unethical Republican. What's TDS? I like how you assumed I didn't know "the facts".And
what caused you to shoot YOUR mouth off before you knew them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard5040 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Please point out the conservatives.
I guess I do have to spell it out, they are all registered Republicans. The dollar figures in parenthesis was contributed to the RNC or individual Republican candidates during the last election cycle. And you still haven't told me what TDS is.
Citation needed. What is the source of your data on political affiliations and donations?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #138
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
1714
Rep
4,828
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
OK so is it right or not??
You said:


You are just throwing out words. How about explaining what YOU THINK
And apparently you care..you are posting :shrug"
I don't care...right or not. It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #139
adc100
Captain
544
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Ha
This fully calls him out as the liar that he is - so unsure if he is going to slink back in here and post a comment again.

A conservative hater lying??? Say it ain't so!!!
Appreciate 1
Run Silent8622.00

      03-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #140
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
2989
Rep
2,731
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Why is this even a story. Who does this hurt? If they want to buy their way into school who cares.
Please tell me this isn't a serious question.

It hurts every more qualified student that was turned away from one of these schools.

Did you think about this for 2 mins before typing that?
Appreciate 2
Run Silent8622.00
MKSixer12522.00

      03-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #141
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
6960
Rep
6,832
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
It hurts every more qualified student that was turned away from one of these schools.
Slippery slope there.

Why should one student, of equal ACADEMIC merit other than ethnicity get in?

Why should one student, of equal ACADEMIC merit other than athletic ability get in?

Why should one student, of equal ACADEMIC merit other than parents' ability to fund the university infrastructure get in?

The above 3 are still perfectly acceptable
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #142
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
2989
Rep
2,731
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Slippery slope there.

Why should one student, of equal ACADEMIC merit other than ethnicity get in?

Why should one student, of equal ACADEMIC merit other than athletic ability get in?

Why should one student, of equal ACADEMIC merit other than parents' ability to fund the university infrastructure get in?

The above 3 are still perfectly acceptable
#1 - I didn't say "equal", I said "more qualified".

#2 - We're not talking about parents paying for the new library. We're talking about parents paying people to correct college entrance exam answers, paying for other kids to take the test in place of their kid, paying direct bribes to school faculty to lie about them being on a sports team, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #143
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
6960
Rep
6,832
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
#1 - I didn't say "equal", I said "more qualified".

#2 - We're not talking about parents paying for the new library. We're talking about parents paying people to correct college entrance exam answers, paying for other kids to take the test in place of their kid, paying direct bribes to school faculty to lie about them being on a sports team, etc.
#1, replace equal with more qualified and it's even worse

#2 how does buying a library differ really? Because all the students benefited?


By the way, I'm appalled at the actions of the elite few.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #144
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
2989
Rep
2,731
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
#1, replace equal with more qualified and it's even worse
Agreed. Which is an obvious example of "who suffers" - that was precisely the point I was making in response/rebuttal to Mr Roboto's question.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
#2 how does buying a library differ really? Because all the students benefited?


By the way, I'm appalled at the actions of the elite few.
Well, bribing coaches and other faculty is illegal, paying for a building or donating to the school is not. Paying someone to "fix" your kids answers is illegal. Paying someone to take a test pretending to be your kid is illegal.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #145
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
1714
Rep
4,828
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Please tell me this isn't a serious question.

It hurts every more qualified student that was turned away from one of these schools.

Did you think about this for 2 mins before typing that?
So tell me how is that any different then reserved seats for foreign students? Universities want them because they can charge them substantially more then domestic students...nothing to do with grades.

Take 2 minutes to think about that.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #146
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
2989
Rep
2,731
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
So tell me how is that any different then reserved seats for foreign students? Universities want them because they can charge them substantially more then domestic students...nothing to do with grades.

Take 2 minutes to think about that.
Because.

It's.

Fucking.

ILLEGAL.





Your argument appears to boil down to: "Some bad things are allowed, so allowing even more bad things doesn't matter." Please tell me I'm wrong, but that's precisely how it reads.
Appreciate 3
glennQNYC4253.50
MKSixer12522.00

      03-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #147
adc100
Captain
544
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Because.

It's.

Fucking.

ILLEGAL.



.
lol...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #148
TheWatchGuy
Major
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
1634
Rep
1,244
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Please tell me this isn't a serious question.

It hurts every more qualified student that was turned away from one of these schools.

Did you think about this for 2 mins before typing that?
debatable. most schools dont have a hard "we only are taking X amount of students." It is a more fluid thing like "we are only taking X amount of students but we make exceptions as we need to." This is so they can take in those kids that the parents bri... i mean donate to the school. There is rarely any outrage or discussion about someone more qualified not getting in when a rich kid gets in after their parents donate 100k to the school

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
So tell me how is that any different then reserved seats for foreign students? Universities want them because they can charge them substantially more then domestic students...nothing to do with grades.

Take 2 minutes to think about that.
Well this involved cheating and bribery and fraud. So that would be different.

As ive said before, if the parents just sent that money directly to the school in the form of a donation for something, this is a non issue.
__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 3
Jockey1682.00
MrRoboto1713.50
MKSixer12522.00

      03-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #149
schoy
Captain
545
Rep
724
Posts

Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

What boggles my mind is that people on here canít tell the difference between a donation quid pro quo vs cheating. Letís make this very clear: One involves an intent to deceive, the other does not. State of mind matters, even if the end result wouldnít have made much difference. In our legal system, the ends do not justify the means.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer12522.00

      03-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #150
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
1714
Rep
4,828
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
debatable. most schools dont have a hard "we only are taking X amount of students." It is a more fluid thing like "we are only taking X amount of students but we make exceptions as we need to." This is so they can take in those kids that the parents bri... i mean donate to the school. There is rarely any outrage or discussion about someone more qualified not getting in when a rich kid gets in after their parents donate 100k to the school



Well this involved cheating and bribery and fraud. So that would be different.

As ive said before, if the parents just sent that money directly to the school in the form of a donation for something, this is a non issue.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #151
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
2989
Rep
2,731
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
debatable. most schools dont have a hard "we only are taking X amount of students." It is a more fluid thing like "we are only taking X amount of students but we make exceptions as we need to." This is so they can take in those kids that the parents bri... i mean donate to the school. There is rarely any outrage or discussion about someone more qualified not getting in when a rich kid gets in after their parents donate 100k to the school

I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's a fact that teachers and classroom space are a finite resource, no? As such, the line has to be drawn somewhere.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer12522.00

      03-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #152
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
636
Rep
1,678
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I am just now catching up on this story, people were really paying $500k or so for their kid to go to USC or UT? I could maybe understand Harvard or Yale, but what exactly is so great about a UT or USC diploma? This doesn't seem like it has much to do with the kids, just embarrassed parents not wanting to tell their friends that their kid didn't get into college.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST