BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Tesla Model 3 AWD impressions after 15 years of BMWs

08-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #45
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWest View Post
I thought this was an interesting take on the Model 3 - Review starts at 1:07
Finally watched the video - I'm 90% with this guy. I think the audio is better than what he says, my iphone works as a key 100% of the time, and the fit and finish on my car is definitely better than the one he drove, but otherwise my experience and impressions match his.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #46
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: yes please

Question to the OP: there are a ton of iPhone speedometer apps that have regular view and HUD view. Why not get an older used iPhone and mount it in front of the steering wheel (ghetto instrument cluster) and use the phone's Speedo app. Most also have hud view so you can also mount on top of dash so it reflects in the windshield for you...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #47
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I picked up my new Model 3 AWD (non-Performance) today. First impressions after 50 miles:

Bottom line: my dream car will have a BMW body and a BMW interior with Tesla drivetrain and infotainment. But until such a thing exists, I'll keep happily driving the Model 3.
Here is your dream car...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #48
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
Question to the OP: there are a ton of iPhone speedometer apps that have regular view and HUD view. Why not get an older used iPhone and mount it in front of the steering wheel (ghetto instrument cluster) and use the phone's Speedo app. Most also have hud view so you can also mount on top of dash so it reflects in the windshield for you...
Sure. But it's an ugly kludge. I hate kludges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Here is your dream car...
No. Doing this to an E36 M3 is a capital crime.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #49
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
No, I didn't miss your point. I just think that our previous driving experience taught us to associate engine noises and gasoline smell with fun, so it's now like a reflex. While in reality, the only kind of fun that can't properly be had without noise and smell is the one you have in bed.
Lol. No.
Mechanical exhaust note = aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #50
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Finally watched the video - I'm 90% with this guy. I think the audio is better than what he says, my iphone works as a key 100% of the time, and the fit and finish on my car is definitely better than the one he drove, but otherwise my experience and impressions match his.
WSJ has a report saying that their Model 3 sample has missing bolts and welds too, that is of concern since the backbone of the chassis can be compromised.

The video actually is pretty good, the guy seems to drive pretty fast and the car handles competently. It is just that the chassis may eventually break apart from the missing bolts and welds?!?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #51
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Lol. No.
Since we're in a BMW forum, you surely mean the fake ASD sounds, right?
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #52
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Since we're in a BMW forum, you surely mean the fake ASD sounds, right?
Interestingly, the i-Pace seems to be have artificial engine sound added.

As your post said, without HUD nor engine sound, EV in general is hard to judge speed. It is analogous to space travel, 100miles/minute does not feel much when there is no frame of reference(e.g. sound and vibration).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 01:23 PM   #53
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lol. No.
Since we're in the F30 forum, you surely mean the fake ASD sounds, right?
Only in your "purified" wet dreams.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #54
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
While I could see myself falling into the second category (second family car), Tesla would be the wrong choice for that, besides the fact that I am horrified by their interior design (or lack of) and cheap approach with a tablet bolted in the middle.
Our family is very interested in a second family car as EV to try out the next tech, so we are on the wait list of the $35k standard range(200 miles) Model 3.

However based on comments from friends working at Tesla, there is no plan to ship any SR at least for a year, if not two, because Musk is having a hard time cost cutting to fit the $35k price points. WSJ says if any SR sold@$35k will incur $6k loss to Telsa, and there is not enough volume and pricing power to make suppliers drop prices.

Given that status quo, our plan probably will be changed to grab a Bolt or Leaf, or just stick with our bimmers for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #55
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Our family is very interested in a second family car as EV to try out the next tech, so we are on the wait list of the $35k standard range(200 miles) Model 3.

However based on comments from friends working at Tesla, there is no plan to ship any SR at least for a year, if not two, because Musk is having a hard time cost cutting to fit the $35k price points. WSJ says if any SR sold@$35k will incur $6k loss to Telsa, and there is not enough volume and pricing power to make suppliers drop prices.

Given that status quo, our plan probably will be changed to grab a Bolt or Leaf, or just stick with our bimmers for now.
If you can't get the Model 3, the Volt looks like a solid choice:

https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/volt
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #56
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Only in your "purified" wet dreams.
Screenshot of your ASD settings from Carly or Bimmercode would be appropriate here.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #57
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post

The math is kinda funky here. If you get a Tesla before the end of the year, you get full $7500 from the Fed. On 1/1/19 this drops to $3750, six months later to $1875. Given the $9K difference between LR Premium and SR Base, buying LR Premium now is only $3K more expensive than buying SR Base after 7/1/19, and just $1500 if you wait until 2020. So keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #58
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The math is kinda funky here. If you get a Tesla before the end of the year, you get full $7500 from the Fed. On 1/1/19 this drops to $3750, six months later to $1875. Given the $9K difference between LR Premium and SR Base, buying LR Premium now is only $3K more expensive than buying SR Base after 7/1/19, and just $1500 if you wait until 2020. So keep that in mind.
That is a valid consideration, and the window is closing to get a Model 3 by end of December too.

The other purse string holder is a bit worried about the build quality of Model 3, and the new Leaf with 200-mile range(supposedly) is coming out soon, so her "preference" is to wait.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #59
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Guys, just drove a Jaguar i-Pace. My dealer had one with 'Prototype' stickers on it but they let me test drive. It felt like a finished production vehicle to me. It's a superb car, competitor to a Tesla Model S I would say, much bigger than it looks in pictures because the wheels are very large. Very low and wide so very, very sporty looking for an 'SUV'.

The drive was amazing, very fast and sporty, felt a a fair bit quicker than my car, a Merc C400, which is no slouch. I much preferred it to the Model S I drove a few months ago because it felt more sporty inside and it has a very nice Jag interior with lots of wood and contrast-stitched leather. It has tons of room for passengers (2-row), but the trunk isn't huge, nowhere near as big as a Model S. I really think Tesla are in trouble now. Hope this will be my next ride!
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-30-2018, 06:13 PM   #60
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Guys, just drove a Jaguar i-Pace. My dealer had one with 'Prototype' stickers on it but they let me test drive. It felt like a finished production vehicle to me. It's a superb car, competitor to a Tesla Model S I would say, much bigger than it looks in pictures because the wheels are very large. Very low and wide so very, very sporty looking for an 'SUV'.

The drive was amazing, very fast and sporty, felt a a fair bit quicker than my car, a Merc C400, which is no slouch. I much preferred it to the Model S I drove a few months ago because it felt more sporty inside and it has a very nice Jag interior with lots of wood and contrast-stitched leather. It has tons of room for passengers (2-row), but the trunk isn't huge, nowhere near as big as a Model S. I really think Tesla are in trouble now. Hope this will be my next ride!
I-Pace is getting great reviews indeed. However, it will do nothing to Tesla's chances to succeed. Tesla never planned to be profitable off S or X. Their future depends on Model 3. I-Pace is priced much higher than any but the top level 3.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #61
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Just my opinion having driven the model S in a few different configurations...

1.) they are nothing more than a fast golf cart

2.) body and fitment workmanship is equivalent to 1990 Chevy's and Ford's

3.) very expensive for a car that doesn't have an engine

4.) reliability is somewhat questionable

5.) the perfect "car" for those who know little about cars

6.) the perfect "car" for those who are susceptible to Tesla's hype

7.) a way overvalued company for its reserves and cash flow
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #62
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I-Pace is getting great reviews indeed. However, it will do nothing to Tesla's chances to succeed. Tesla never planned to be profitable off S or X. Their future depends on Model 3. I-Pace is priced much higher than any but the top level 3.
To be specific, Tesla needs $35k Model 3 to clear those 400k+ reservation, but that can't happen until the volume hits 250k+/year, so it is a chicken-and-egg scenario.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:26 PM   #63
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post

Well I really mean Tesla are in trouble not just from the Jag but also the other EV competitors from upmarket makes about to hit the showrooms...this is just the first of many Tesla alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #64
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If you can't get the Model 3, the Volt looks like a solid choice:

https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/volt
Typically my thinking is that hybrid is the sweet spot with the current gen of battery techs, which really should not be used for more than 50+ miles of urban/short drives. So 50 miles of EV range, plus fossil fuel power for the remaining 400-500 miles, will be a good goal.

Given govt mandates and incentives are skewed together pure EV with battery tech(e.g. hydrogen EVs have no Fed rebates), it appears that pure EV route will consume resources from most automakers for quite some time.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #65
NateDog07V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto

Test drove a RWD model this past wkend (46k before 7500 tax incentive - mid range not available yet). Current vehicle is 6spd ATS-V, previous was an F30 335i RWD w 19s. Few thoughts:

- it's fast... on the street I'd bet the LR RWD could keep up with a 335/340 in spirited driving w corners. The MR RWD probably more in line with a 328/330
- not much on center feel, but I didn't hate the steering coming from my ATS-V. Very good turn in
- short hood so great visibility, albeit a little high Vs a sporty bucket
- car looks small on outside but rear seat room much larger than ATS or 3 series
- starting to see lots of these on the road.. can't help thinking it's the next iPhone, everyone will have one, just a matter of what glittery case or chachkis you add to it
- having a 'full tank' everyday for a few bucks is amazing and super convenient (not sure why people hung up on needing to go 400+ miles and refuel in 5 min)
- interior is fine for what it is, screen easy to use
- OTA updates should be standard on every car
- would be cool if u could dial up performance on any Tesla model and just suck the battery dry quicker
- if someone was shopping an A4, ATS, c300, 330, etc. I would encourage them to get the Tesla instead.. I suppose that's praise ?

11/11 is the last date to order for Tesla to guarantee you'll get your Model 3 by the end of the year in east coast for the tax incentive... I'll probably pass for now, plenty of great used performance cars in 30k range to hold me over for a bit until everything is electric self driving eggs
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      11-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #66
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

I need my pops and bangs
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50