BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Child Car Seat tethers in Captain’s Chairs

03-13-2019, 11:47 PM   #1
SaintD
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera S E Hybrid

Garage List
16 Porsche  [0.00]
Child Car Seat tethers in Captain’s Chairs

I test drove a beautiful X7, and I noticed something in person that I have not seen or read online. The captain chairs’ tether anchors are mounted on the cargo floor, and not on the back of the chairs as I expected. I did not test it, but it appears a tethered car seat would render the back and forth sliding inoperable (or worse damaging) since the capt chair would be fixed to the cargo floor without flexibility.
For many this is inconsequential. However, as a father of 3 youngins it matters since a car seat in capt’s chairs with a tether anchor seems to prevent 3rd row access from that side.
A quick work around would be a LATCH/seat belt restraint only without using the floor anchor. Still, the potentially less restrictive, 3 across, cheaper, fold-able, higher capacity bench seat is starting to look more practical even though it doesn't look nearly as cool to me. The pics show the different locations of the bench & capt’s tether anchors, and the distance that the capt chair travels from the anchor point.
In every aspect I was Very Impressed with the fit, finish, comfort and driving dynamics of the X7 xDrive40i!

God Bless
Attached Images

Last edited by SaintD; 03-14-2019 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:08 AM   #2
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Same situation here, my friend. Two more things for you.

1. The center arm rests do not appear easily removable, as was communicated in the pre-production press drives that occurred 10 months ago. So no easy aisle access to the third row

2. Even if you can get by without tether in second row, the bench seems to have better folding functionality. The button on the side of the bench that starts the process of making room for a third row passenger to get in or out does not exist on the captains. What is in its place is that lever on the top of the chair. That seems to be the only want to get the chair to start its "slide forward, tilt up" process.
However, the captain seems to need to fold its back forward 15 degrees (as you can see in your picture) before it starts that process. So not only is the tether location limiting, but if that lever is the only way to get the cap chair to tilt up for third row ingress/egress you can't even have an untethered child seat in the second row. With installed, untethered child seats you'd be able to slide the seats back and forward but that's it.

There is a ray of hope. I touched on this in a previous thread. Look at this video. It's slightly edited, and BMW USA doesnt even know how this was done, but it appears the guy who shot this had the captain tilt up and forward without the back rest first folding forward. Would love to know how he did it cause then, at least, we can have third row people get in and out pretty easily.

Let me know if you figure anything else out with this and I'll do same. Here is the video I was referencing. Go to the 5:40 marker to see what I'm talking about. I've called the "Geniuses" and they claim that can't be done and it's magical video editing. I'm going to call BS on that and that there is some way to do what this guy did in this video. I sure as hell hope so, cause this vehicle does kind of drop the ball for people like you and I without being able to do this, the tether, and the center arm rests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=89rnETIfjoc
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 06:09 AM   #3
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

I have the captains chairs with 2-5 year olds. 2 booster seat(with 4 point harness) one is tethered to floor and uses seat belt through the inside of car seat and the other is using the 2 latch connections on the seat. One of my twins is 10 lbs heavier and 4" taller and has to use seat belt through seat and tether per seat manufacturer. If your car seats use the seat belts like mine, I believe you will be worse off with bench. Being that it won't be able to move forward at all. So my Bigger kids captain seat can not move at all. The other can only slide forward and back. Regardless, I'm 6'2" and I can get into third row between the captains chairs with car seats with out a prob and my kids can even easier. Here's a few pics. I did not move any seats
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
SaintD4.00
cncmastr1568.50
      03-14-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
sliu070
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 2019 G07

This is very useful information. I've got 2 car seats as well as having the need to fit the in-laws in. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #5
ppagiga
Major
Rep

great pics and info, ty.

so do you keep the center armrests straight down for the most part?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
great pics and info, ty.

so do you keep the center armrests straight down for the most part?
Yes they're mostly in the down position. Going to see if I can remove them to make access even easier. Honestly the worst part about access to the back seats has been bmw iPad mounts. We had them clipped into back of front seats and they stick out like 3-4 inches. Thought we could just leave them in and have kids take iPads in and out but the limbo they have to do daily just doesn't make sense. We took them out and store in the door pocket and use for longer trips.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Yes they're mostly in the down position. Going to see if I can remove them to make access even easier. Honestly the worst part about access to the back seats has been bmw iPad mounts. We had them clipped into back of front seats and they stick out like 3-4 inches. Thought we could just leave them in and have kids take iPads in and out but the limbo they have to do daily just doesn't make sense. We took them out and store in the door pocket and use for longer trips.
same observation on my end when in use in x5. and same solution. i've advised them to look out windows at trees and the sky and what not like humans used to

lmk if you figure out a arm rest solution and i'll do same. bmw usa basically said they aren't for removal, but i'm sure someone will figure it out
Appreciate 2
PIPE_DR354.50
Wild Blue3676.50
      03-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #8
don20111
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
I have the captains chairs with 2-5 year olds. 2 booster seat(with 4 point harness) one is tethered to floor and uses seat belt through the inside of car seat and the other is using the 2 latch connections on the seat. One of my twins is 10 lbs heavier and 4" taller and has to use seat belt through seat and tether per seat manufacturer. If your car seats use the seat belts like mine, I believe you will be worse off with bench. Being that it won't be able to move forward at all. So my Bigger kids captain seat can not move at all. The other can only slide forward and back. Regardless, I'm 6'2" and I can get into third row between the captains chairs with car seats with out a prob and my kids can even easier. Here's a few pics. I did not move any seats
what color seats are they?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #9
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by don20111 View Post
Diono Extended Merino Black.

Tartufo on the x7
Appreciate 1
PIPE_DR354.50
      03-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by don20111 View Post
Diono Extended Merino Black.

Tartufo on the x7
Lol. Thanks for the help on that answer!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #11
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Good discussions, fellas.

I find it really interesting how parents of toddlers are in the market for an X7. I'm an upper middle class fellow, a person that appreciates and can afford an average BMW. My years with toddlers in car seats ended about 5 years ago, and while I would have LOVED to have owned an X7 during those years, even if it had been available, I just couldn't have afforded it. We got the wife a 3-row Infiniti QX56 during those years, at maybe 60% of what an X7 would have cost, had it been available.

As it is, now that I'm a little older, with kids now getting into the double digits, and a significantly higher income level, I still am seriously questioning whether I can really afford an X7, or whether if I'm realistic with myself, if I'd be overextending finances.

Certainly not questioning y'alls judgement, or negatively commenting on your lives. Quite the contrary. I'm impressed and somewhat jealous that you guys, in the age of life with kids in car seats, can afford such an awesome vehicle!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #12
Petegd
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350, GLK

Same here. I thought I'd be the only one with two kids (5 years/3 years) in the market for an X7, but am pleasantly surprised to see that others have kid related questions.

I'm back and forth between captain chairs, which I think the kids would like more, but I think are less useful now. Although PipeDr may convince me otherwise.

My ever so practical wife - who will be driving the car predominantly - actually wants a Subaru Ascent. I kind of see her point (half the price, super reliable), but honestly see that car as not a car, but a transportation device. Having owned the highlander for 2 years, I can say that it was the most boring car I have ever driven in my life.

The X7 would be a no-brainer for me, were it not the usual first gen model issues that I anticipate to occur with the My2019. I may wait until the 2020, but in the meantime look forward to reading more posts from all of you.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #13
swenzi
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 Escalad / 17 Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Good discussions, fellas.

I find it really interesting how parents of toddlers are in the market for an X7. I'm an upper middle class fellow, a person that appreciates and can afford an average BMW. My years with toddlers in car seats ended about 5 years ago, and while I would have LOVED to have owned an X7 during those years, even if it had been available, I just couldn't have afforded it. We got the wife a 3-row Infiniti QX56 during those years, at maybe 60% of what an X7 would have cost, had it been available.

As it is, now that I'm a little older, with kids now getting into the double digits, and a significantly higher income level, I still am seriously questioning whether I can really afford an X7, or whether if I'm realistic with myself, if I'd be overextending finances.

Certainly not questioning y'alls judgement, or negatively commenting on your lives. Quite the contrary. I'm impressed and somewhat jealous that you guys, in the age of life with kids in car seats, can afford such an awesome vehicle!
Some are more fiscally liberal than others, of course nothing wrong with anyone's choices including yours. We all have different priorities, sounds you like to exercise more fiscal constraint than perhaps many others. To me since I will spend a lot of time in this vehicle with my kids no less, it is worth the expense because it would make me look forward to doing the drive and get on the road everyday.
Appreciate 2
SaintD4.00
Wild Blue3676.50
      03-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #14
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Blue as a father I commend you for holding off and waiting til the time feels right.

One more thing about captains. When I sat in a vehicle with them I really liked having that little channel to stretch a leg out into from the third row. Kind of like how you prefer an aisle seat to a middle seat on a plane. Really makes it more comfortable and less claustrophobic
Appreciate 1
SaintD4.00
      03-14-2019, 11:24 PM   #15
SaintD
Rep

Garage List
16 Porsche  [0.00]
ppagiga I agree that the gap between the capt chairs is too narrow for a child pass through even with the armrest down. It’s things like that which make the Navigator more accommodating for large families. The X7 definitely drives much better than the huge Gator/Expedition though, so to me it’s worth the size compromise.
I wonder if the seat from the vid that you posted moved that way because it was a pre-production showroom car?

PIPE_DR Are you saying that a capt chair will not slide if a car seat is strapped by seat belt? Does that mean that both the seat belt and tethered option restricts access to the 3rd row, and LATCH only car seats are the only way to permit access to the back? If so, that definitely means that a bench seat would be more serviceable for us.
Also, I thought the same thing when I saw the built in entertainment system. I would actually like to fork over the $2200 to get the entertainment value. I just can’t see the rigid protrusion lasting long with 3 kids bouncing around during entry/exit for multiple years. 3 warrantied iPads seem like a better value.

At this point I would probably suggest these 2 configurations to my wife:
1 Capt Chair: 2 car seats in the 3rd row (secured by LATCH, tether & seat belt) with one high back booster (latch & seat belt) on passenger side capt.

2 Bench Seat: 3 across (outboards LATCH, tethered & seat belt; middle tethered & seat belt)

There are other ways to do it which include kids trampling over a folded 2nd row 40 split bench seat to get to the 3rd row. However this vehicle is way too nice for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 05:02 AM   #16
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Saint D, i've been where you are. I think I can answer your questions until Pipe comes through.

A. Ultimately decided against american despite how awesome the extended wheelbase/captains config is on Yukon, Suburban, Escalade, etc. Those vehicles are just so damn big, and drive like the trucks they are. Not a bad thing, but nothing like the GL/GLS and X7. I would say tho, that the Navigator has the same third row space whether you go normal wheelbase or extended so it's packaging is the most efficient of all the american monster suvs. Plus, I love the interior. But it's still a very large vehicle in SWB trim and drives much differently.
B. I feared the in seat entertainment for same reasons. While it doesnt protrude nearly as much as the plug in "travel and comfort" accessories, it's still a daily risk to be banged or broken. Plus, the guys at the car wash won't respect them as much as much as they should.
C. All three of these installs restrict third row access in Captains: 1) latched and tethered captains; 2) seatbelt no tether install captains 3) tethered and seatbelt installed captains. For bench installations, installs 2 and 3 restrict access but not 1 (that is because the tether hook is on the seat itself). The reason the seatbelt install restricts access for bench and captains is because the seatbelt comes from the C pillar area of the vehicle itself. So once you strap a seat in tight, that seat's not moving.
D. Regarding what we saw in that video, I'm not sure how they did that with the captains. Only way to know definitively is have one in your garage and try yourself. The geniuses I spoke to claim they put a car seat in the seat and tried to recreate that motion but couldn't. But there are so many damn buttons and settings in this vehicle i'm not sure they left no stone unturned in trying things out.

There is a possibility that Benz offers captains with seat belts originating in the seat itself (for the new GLS that will be introduced in about 4 weeks that goes on sale in say 6 months) but I think it's unlikely. It's probably a crash test load concern that is best alleviated by keeping the seatbelt in the pillar. However, Benz has put the belt in seats before (starting in 1990 I believe, with the R129 SL) so it could happen again. But with the R class captains they used the pillar for the. belts

Last edited by ppagiga; 03-15-2019 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
PIPE_DR354.50
      03-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #17
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swenzi View Post
Some are more fiscally liberal than others, of course nothing wrong with anyone's choices including yours. We all have different priorities, sounds you like to exercise more fiscal constraint than perhaps many others. To me since I will spend a lot of time in this vehicle with my kids no less, it is worth the expense because it would make me look forward to doing the drive and get on the road everyday.
You bet. I've found that having a very enjoyable car can bring a spark of joy every day into the monotony of life. I think its worth investing in the things you use the most, and/or the things that are most enjoyable. That includes car, house, and bed. (spend 1/3 of your life in bed)

I'm looking at the X7 as being not just a great car for me, but for the family too. So far, they're loving it, and (other than the cost) are totally on board with me getting one. Would make for awesome family drives, whether short drives or long road trips.

ppagiga I see that 2nd row seat movement is important to you. Have you tried to contact the person that made it via YouTube to find out how they did that?
Appreciate 1
SaintD4.00
      03-15-2019, 07:20 AM   #18
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
You bet. I've found that having a very enjoyable car can bring a spark of joy every day into the monotony of life. I think its worth investing in the things you use the most, and/or the things that are most enjoyable. That includes car, house, and bed. (spend 1/3 of your life in bed)

I'm looking at the X7 as being not just a great car for me, but for the family too. So far, they're loving it, and (other than the cost) are totally on board with me getting one. Would make for awesome family drives, whether short drives or long road trips.

ppagiga I see that 2nd row seat movement is important to you. Have you tried to contact the person that made it via YouTube to find out how they did that?
yeah shot them a line, no response.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:25 AM   #19
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintD View Post
ppagiga I agree that the gap between the capt chairs is too narrow for a child pass through even with the armrest down. It’s things like that which make the Navigator more accommodating for large families. The X7 definitely drives much better than the huge Gator/Expedition though, so to me it’s worth the size compromise.
I wonder if the seat from the vid that you posted moved that way because it was a pre-production showroom car?

PIPE_DR Are you saying that a capt chair will not slide if a car seat is strapped by seat belt? Does that mean that both the seat belt and tethered option restricts access to the 3rd row, and LATCH only car seats are the only way to permit access to the back? If so, that definitely means that a bench seat would be more serviceable for us.
Also, I thought the same thing when I saw the built in entertainment system. I would actually like to fork over the $2200 to get the entertainment value. I just can’t see the rigid protrusion lasting long with 3 kids bouncing around during entry/exit for multiple years. 3 warrantied iPads seem like a better value.

At this point I would probably suggest these 2 configurations to my wife:
1 Capt Chair: 2 car seats in the 3rd row (secured by LATCH, tether & seat belt) with one high back booster (latch & seat belt) on passenger side capt.

2 Bench Seat: 3 across (outboards LATCH, tethered & seat belt; middle tethered & seat belt)

There are other ways to do it which include kids trampling over a folded 2nd row 40 split bench seat to get to the 3rd row. However this vehicle is way too nice for that.
I would not try sliding Captains chair with seat belt and tether. I don't want to risk breaking something. It's essentially inoperable. And as I mentioned before, I think If seat belts are engaged through car seat always (like mine) a bench would be inoperable as well regardless of tether, being that seat belts come from D pillar. So With all do respect, I'm speaking from actual real life use. My kids go into the third row to buckle/unbuckle their stuffed animals 2-4 times daily with ease. I have gotten back there several times between captains chairs with little strain. It's not something I'd expect/ recommend an adult to do daily but the 3" between arm rests down is plenty of space for my kids legs to pass. With arm rests off/ down there's 8" between seats. I choose to go captains and very happy with my decision, it fits my families use perfectly. Would highly recommend.
As far as BMW infotainment, we choose not to go with it based on price for what it is and from what I understand it works by mirroring a phone to access things like Netflix/ YouTube and it's not an actual internet browser tablet style device with apps . I really couldn't find / look deep enough for how it actually works for entertainment. My kids have iPads already and the don't need to control lighting, etc. Best wishes in your decision making process. Bring the car seats to dealership and try it all out real life
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cncmastr1568.50
      03-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #20
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
I would not try sliding Captains chair with seat belt and tether. I don't want to risk breaking something. It's essentially inoperable. And as I mentioned before, I think If seat belts are engaged through car seat always (like mine) a bench would be inoperable as well regardless of tether, being that seat belts come from D pillar. So With all do respect, I'm speaking from actual real life use. My kids go into the third row to buckle/unbuckle their stuffed animals 2-4 times daily with ease. I have gotten back there several times between captains chairs with little strain. It's not something I'd expect/ recommend an adult to do daily but the 3" between arm rests down is plenty of space for my kids legs to pass. With arm rests off/ down there's 8" between seats. I choose to go captains and very happy with my decision, it fits my families use perfectly. Would highly recommend.
As far as BMW infotainment, we choose not to go with it based on price for what it is and from what I understand it works by mirroring a phone to access things like Netflix/ YouTube and it's not an actual internet browser tablet style device with apps . I really couldn't find / look deep enough for how it actually works for entertainment. My kids have iPads already and the don't need to control lighting, etc. Best wishes in your decision making process. Bring the car seats to dealership and try it all out real life
really helpful again, ty. I don't have an opinion of whether the arm rests not being removable impacts me or not, I just know id prefer to remove them. But 8" of space is great, even if it means needing to step over the arm rests.

that being said, if one cap is kept significantly further forward or back than the other, that creates a little lane that would help you not have to step over the the arm rests at all
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #21
SaintD
Rep

Garage List
16 Porsche  [0.00]
ppagiga The Fast Lane Car review shows the bench seat sliding forward before tilting. However, the video appears to have been recorded some time ago, so it may be a pre-production car as well.
Thanks for your advice. I think we'd prefer the bench for more flexibility. I like the option to install our 3 car seats in the 2nd row bench, and fold the 3rd row for additional luggage capacity on road trips. Plus, being able to LATCH and tether the outside bench seats without blocking access to the 3rd row is beneficial.
I wonder if/when a site like the car seat lady will give it a professional review?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #22
Petegd
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350, GLK

Why don't you simply buy latch car seats? Problem solved.
Appreciate 0