07-18-2023, 04:18 PM   #1
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
The Perfect X7

The X7 has some innovative and helpful features that I really like! That said, it has some DTD functionality that I dislike!

1. No automatic speed limit adoption. The road I drive daily, Florida Hwy A1A fluctuates frequently between 30, 35, 45, 50, and 55 mph. My 4-year-old Lincoln Aviator and virtually all vehicles with ADAS have the option to read speed signs and automatically adopt a new speed. BMWs used to have the feature, but it was apparently removed in the US for some strange reason and continues in other countries. The problem is less of an interstate highway issue with a constant speed limit and in my view Highway Assitant is wonderful.

2. Automatic height adjustment when parked is too high for entry and exit if you are under 6' or so. There should be an option to allow automatic vehicle lowering when parked.

3. As I have said, the recent option to disable automatic locking and unlocking at home was a very innovative and very nice change.

Feel free to comment if you believe there are some issues I missed and/or to post opinions on my suggestions.
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      07-18-2023, 04:20 PM   #2
JayM40i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW x7 40i

Hate that the trailer hitch disables the foot kick to open the trunk
Appreciate 5
      07-18-2023, 05:05 PM   #3
Brinkley77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cadillac SRX

Garage List
2024   [0.00]
BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
The X7 has some innovative and helpful features that I really like! That said, it has some DTD functionality that I dislike!

1. No automatic speed limit adoption. The road I drive daily, Florida Hwy A1A fluctuates frequently between 30, 35, 45, 50, and 55 mph. My 4-year-old Lincoln Aviator and virtually all vehicles with ADAS have the option to read speed signs and automatically adopt a new speed. BMWs used to have the feature, but it was apparently removed in the US for some strange reason and continues in other countries. The problem is less of an interstate highway issue with a constant speed limit and in my view Highway Assitant is wonderful.

2. Automatic height adjustment when parked is too high for entry and exit if you are under 6' or so. There should be an option to allow automatic vehicle lowering when parked.

3. As I have said, the recent option to disable automatic locking and unlocking at home was a very innovative and very nice change.

Feel free to comment if you believe there are some issues I missed and/or to post opinions on my suggestions.
So I assume you have I drive 8.5? If so how do you like it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 05:06 PM   #4
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:

I did not know about the option to disable auto locking at home?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 05:08 PM   #5
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM40i View Post
Hate that the trailer hitch disables the foot kick to open the trunk
Me too. I feel like I'm in the minority but I love the kick to open feature. I use it ten times a week at least, and unlike others on this forum, it works every time for me. Actually dissuaded me from getting the hitch. If I could have had both I for sure would have gotten the hitch too.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 05:10 PM   #6
JayM40i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
Me too. I feel like I'm in the minority but I love the kick to open feature. I use it ten times a week at least, and unlike others on this forum, it works every time for me. Actually dissuaded me from getting the hitch. If I could have had both I for sure would have gotten the hitch too.
I used it all the time on my last car. Very helpful with little ones and hands full. Got a 22 with the trailer hitch and really miss it.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2023, 05:30 PM   #7
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley77 View Post
So I assume you have I drive 8.5? If so how do you like it.
I don't have 8.5, but saw the video posted on this forum showing the no lock at home.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/C4f1vAIkqJM
Appreciate 2
alic9613.50
      07-18-2023, 06:08 PM   #8
Brinkley77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cadillac SRX

Garage List
2024   [0.00]
BMW X7  [0.00]
Right. I saw that too.

I thought you had it because you had it in your things I like. I'm curious how that will work, in that post the guy who upgraded said he did not have that feature.

I'm wondering is the 5 and 7 series will have different features in their 8.5. I'm probably just over thinking lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 06:37 PM   #9
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley77 View Post
Right. I saw that too.

I thought you had it because you had it in your things I like. I'm curious how that will work, in that post the guy who upgraded said he did not have that feature.

I'm wondering is the 5 and 7 series will have different features in their 8.5. I'm probably just over thinking lol.
If I understand your question correctly, once you save your home location, the GPS can determine when you are there and disable locking and unlocking. I didn't understand why the person that upgraded said that. He may not have known where the option was in the menu . . . just a guess.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2023, 08:07 PM   #10
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
I didn’t get a hitch for the same reason. With groceries or golf bag and shoes, this n that I use the foot kicker.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2023, 09:39 PM   #11
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Just thought I would add that the hatch kick opening reliability being degraded by a hitch seems to be a common problem across brands. It was the case with my previous Audi and Lincoln. I suspect there may be like electronics/locations.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 10:36 AM   #12
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Just thought I would add that the hatch kick opening reliability being degraded by a hitch seems to be a common problem across brands. It was the case with my previous Audi and Lincoln. I suspect there may be like electronics/locations.
I think that when you're hooking up a tow hitch / harness there are a lot of things like wires, etc which may trigger the automatic opening.

Honestly I have a hard enough not triggering the darn close function when I am loading stuff into the car sometimes that I wish I had gotten the tow kit just to avoid that 'feature'
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 10:41 AM   #13
Streetdaddy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

I need the tow for bikes and back porch for long vacations
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 12:26 PM   #14
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking they could provide both the kick to open function and the hitch if they just offset the sensor for the kick function. Just to the left of center, or right of center. Owners would learn where to kick and it wouldn't be an issue that it's not centered.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 01:21 PM   #15
JayM40i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

I test drove a Mercedes GLE and it had the hitch and foot kick option. Sucks BMW doesn’t.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 03:24 PM   #16
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM40i View Post
I test drove a Mercedes GLE and it had the hitch and foot kick option. Sucks BMW doesn’t.
Our Audi Q7 has both.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 08:22 AM   #17
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
I have the optional hitch (which I didn't ask for) and the kick to open liftgate (which I wanted) on my GLS.

BMW may be the only German luxury make that won't do both!
Appreciate 1
JayM40i59.00
      07-20-2023, 04:52 PM   #18
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
I have the optional hitch (which I didn't ask for) and the kick to open liftgate (which I wanted) on my GLS.

Yes, and altering the liftgate electronics/hardware to facilitate operation with a hitch ain't exactly rocket science.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 09:14 PM   #19
77SU
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i; 2022 X5 40i

Quote:
If I understand your question correctly, once you save your home location, the GPS can determine when you are there and disable locking and unlocking. I didn't understand why the person that upgraded said that. He may not have known where the option was in the menu . . . just a guess.
In the video the SA goes to Locks, then Comfort Access and choses the At Home option. I still only have two choices: HOME is saved, also. Genius today was saying my update may get a further remote update, but since this was his first time to see a display with 8.5, he really was just guessing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 09:39 PM   #20
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77SU View Post
In the video the SA goes to Locks, then Comfort Access and choses the At Home option. I still only have two choices: HOME is saved, also. Genius today was saying my update may get a further remote update, but since this was his first time to see a display with 8.5, he really was just guessing.
Interesting. The video showing the Home disable feature is from BMW of Fort Washington PA. I thought it might have been out of the US and invalid for US cars, but that does not appear to be the case.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 10:37 PM   #21
taylor7373
Taylor
Rep
Drives: X7

I had to turn off the trunk feature in my x7 because the dog kept opening it, and I didn’t use that feature much anyway, so I haven’t missed it. I have so much I love about my first BMW, but not having the auto start stop off button and the weaker air conditioning may make it my last. I don’t like putting it in sport mode, and when I stop at a light and the air conditioning stops blowing cold I’m certain that I may die. I’m trying all the tips and tricks, but so far those are the only things I’d change to make it perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 01:42 AM   #22
X7 Recruit
out driving
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X7, 997.2, Mini Cab, M440i Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

Easy there cowboy, BMW does both! - for RoW cars. My ‘22 Euro spec has power hitch and kick to open feature. As mentioned in other posts, it’s hit and miss if the kick will get the hatch to open, but the invisible power hitch is great.
Appreciate 1
JayM40i59.00