BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 LCI / iDrive 8 Odometer display when driving

01-19-2023, 09:21 PM   #1
Zer00
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
X7 LCI / iDrive 8 Odometer display when driving

Is there a way to display the odometer permanently/when driving? It seems to disappear when I start the car and I only have access to the trip meters during the drive.

Also weird how the BC button does nothing when you have the instrument cluster displaying map. Guess they forgot about it when developing the new iDrive! The only way to make it work is go into your content setup, change it to display trip data and then press BC to go thru various trip meters? Terrible integration.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 08:34 AM   #2
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer00 View Post
Is there a way to display the odometer permanently/when driving? It seems to disappear when I start the car and I only have access to the trip meters during the drive.

Also weird how the BC button does nothing when you have the instrument cluster displaying map. Guess they forgot about it when developing the new iDrive! The only way to make it work is go into your content setup, change it to display trip data and then press BC to go thru various trip meters? Terrible integration.
I can feel you totally!! I’m wondering about it too! I mean how could developers can show odometer only on trip data and not anywhere else! If I wanted to keep track of total mileage then I have to keep one screen engaged with trip data. It’s insanely stupid!
I also wanted to create custom trips to track various things like tires rotation and wheel alignment but I didn’t find a way, if anyone can help in there??
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 01:50 PM   #3
Zer00
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
This seems to have been fixed with the Ota update. All the trip meters now also show a "Total" reading. Would have preferred to have it at the bottom but atleast I can see it now.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 02:24 PM   #4
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

question that bmw asked themselves: what is the point of the odometer when driving?
answer they found: pointless in everything but the most rare use cases

For service/paperwork or anything like that, use cases that occur outside the vehicle, current mileage is easily available in the app
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 04:23 PM   #5
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
question that bmw asked themselves: what is the point of the odometer when driving?
answer they found: pointless in everything but the most rare use cases

For service/paperwork or anything like that, use cases that occur outside the vehicle, current mileage is easily available in the app
If they ask questions to themselves, in followers cases?
1. When did I do my last wheel alignment?
2. When did I do my last tyre rotation?
3. Why do I need to see the back of X7’s picture when I set trip data on instruments cluster?

There are lot more!!

Perhaps, their answer would be “write on the piece of paper and stick it to the windshield” in case of wheel alignment and tyre rotation?
Appreciate 0