BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Headlights on LCI

09-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #1
TommyD_WV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60 & 17 Boxster S

Headlights on LCI

Has anyone else noticed a weird pattern or dark area projecting ahead of the vehicle from the headlights at night? Both low and high beams.

I’ll try to grab a photo but I’m thinking the led beams may need adjusting.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #2
TMC3sticks
TMC3sticks
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyD_WV View Post
Has anyone else noticed a weird pattern or dark area projecting ahead of the vehicle from the headlights at night? Both low and high beams.

Yes. It looks like a digital skyline as I pull into my garage. I think that is normal and I don't notice it while driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 09:49 AM   #3
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

without a true matrix of adaptive headlights (which apparently isn't available on the LCI not as it was on the pre-LCI) I don't think it is possible to not have the dark area due to the nature of the two split-headlights geometry.

Unfortunately, they also removed the two fog lights, which I don't understand why. I found them to be really helpful to use when in town at night to light up the area right in front of the vehicle and the corners.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 02:02 AM   #4
ddno1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:

I'll try to grab a photo but I'm thinking the led beams may need adjusting.

First thing we noticed when driving up the drive way … its looking like there is something obstructing the lights in the middle…. Maybe someone can figure out how to adjust the lights so it doesn't show like that. On highway, I did not notice or it didnot bother me.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 10:15 AM   #5
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

BMW headlights continue to shift from the greatest to the worst in the industry!.
A couple of things that I have noticed during the past 5-6 years with multiple generations now that I had multiple ones and years.

In 2016-2020 the BMW headlights on the 5-series used to have all the features that anyone want with just the LED headlights, including: Adaptive (fully, left-righ path following) lenses, Cornering lights!, fog lights, and as an option laser light.

Then, starting in 2019 at the intro of X7 for all gens 2019-2022 pre lci, the headlights have the following: Adaptive (fully ,left/right path following), fog light lights, BUT THEY SECRETLY and in a nasty way removed the cornering lights and made it available ONLY if you have the laser as an option (I bet half owners do not know that their cornering light spots are just capped if they don;t have the laser light option). I would not be exaggerating if I tell you that my 530e has much better light/clarity during night time driving than my X7, at least for cornering lights (I don’t have them as you only get them if you get the laser optioned, which BMW did not make it clear anyway). If you don’t get laser, the corner lights will be capped with a plastic cap inside the headlights!).

Now in 2023, No laser lights!, NO adaptive headlights! And I guess no cornering lights too but will have check. Yet, not to mention (and I know this is subjective), opting for a stupid split headlight design with some design flaws as others mentioned above, and to make it works, removing the fog lights!

It is a shame that with time BMW continues the trend of designing nearly naked vehicles! It is a shame, all to reduce cost. If BMW continues this trend, am switching back to Mbenz soon. Can’t understand the logic of remove half of the features that we all love such as adaptive lights, laser, rear door comfort access, physical buttons, aluminum-like finished buttons in some areas, etc etc etc. It’s truly a shame and am disappointed as an owner and fan.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-24-2022 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 6
supdes48.00
NOVA99162.50
KRS_SN13535.50
srbabu790106.00
alic9613.50
      09-24-2022, 01:18 PM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
BMW headlights continue to shift from the greatest to the worst in the industry!.
A couple of things that I have noticed during the past 5-6 years with multiple generations now that I had multiple ones and years.

In 2016-2020 the BMW headlights on the 5-series used to have all the features that anyone want with just the LED headlights, including: Adaptive (fully, left-righ path following) lenses, Cornering lights!, fog lights, and as an option laser light.

Then, starting in 2019 at the intro of X7 for all gens 2019-2022 pre lci, the headlights have the following: Adaptive (fully ,left/right path following), fog light lights, BUT THEY SECRETLY and in a nasty way removed the cornering lights and made it available ONLY if you have the laser as an option (I bet half owners do not know that their cornering light spots are just capped if they don;t have the laser light option). I would not be exaggerating if I tell you that my 530e has much better light/clarity during night time driving than my X7, at least for cornering lights (I don’t have them as you only get them if you get the laser optioned, which BMW did not make it clear anyway). If you don’t get laser, the corner lights will be capped with a plastic cap inside the headlights!).

Now in 2023, No laser lights!, NO adaptive headlights! And I guess no cornering lights too but will have check. Yet, not to mention (and I know this is subjective), opting for a stupid split headlight design with some design flaws as others mentioned above, and to make it works, removing the fog lights!

It is a shame that with time BMW continues the trend of designing nearly naked vehicles! It is a shame, all to reduce cost. If BMW continues this trend, am switching back to Mbenz soon. Can’t understand the logic of remove half of the features that we all love such as adaptive lights, laser, rear door comfort access, physical buttons, aluminum-like finished buttons in some areas, etc etc etc. It’s truly a shame and am disappointed as an owner and fan.
Yep. Before I bought my X7 I did a lot of research so I knew about all the shit they removed. Not only the shit you mentioned but the fact that there is no ventilation/air ducts in the the 3rd row unless you order the "Cold Weather Package". That is just freaking ASININE!!! If an auto manufacturer puts seats in the third row they should be required to put vents back there.

This kind of shit seems to be the German Way of building cars. Call it a luxury vehicle but skip on options that came as a standard option on a freaking Yugo!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 02:09 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Yep. Before I bought my X7 I did a lot of research so I knew about all the shit they removed. Not only the shit you mentioned but the fact that there is no ventilation/air ducts in the the 3rd row unless you order the "Cold Weather Package". That is just freaking ASININE!!! If an auto manufacturer puts seats in the third row they should be required to put vents back there.

This kind of shit seems to be the German Way of building cars. Call it a luxury vehicle but skip on options that came as a standard option on a freaking Yugo!
This is mainly a BMW move. Porsche has been able to produce fully loaded 911's the past few years. That said you have to pay more and the option list is extensive but you can get them and that is all I care about buying a high end vehicle. BMW seems to be aiming more mid level builds than aiming top tier which makes the brand very blah to me.
As far as the BMW headlight designs, BMW pretty much makes you get the top level headlights or they are crap by design and then BMW goes out of their way to change the day time running lights so the low end lights look compromised even in daylight. This seems like a game VW would play at their price point. Absolutely shameful. Dont get me started with top tier options you still cant get on their "flagship" 7 series suv.

Last edited by MystroX5; 09-24-2022 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #8
guywithcat
Private
Rep

Headline and shadow in road

I see a number of you are experiencing the 2023 X7 headlights casting a shadow line that looks like a weird skyline out in front. It get's more pronounced if you put on the brights in our case. That said, does anyone know if this is something all X7s have? Or if it is being fixed? Do only
-some- X7s have it? I understand it's only the 2023s. I just got my 2023 X7 and it's really distracting.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 05:47 AM   #9
Vivalamatt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540 and 2021 BMW X5

Can someone post of picture of what you're referring to? Maybe parked in front of a garage with the headlights on?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 03:21 PM   #10
guywithcat
Private
Rep

bump?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 07:06 PM   #11
makers46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i, Mercedes S550

Quote:

I noticed it the first night of driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 07:13 PM   #12
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalamatt View Post
Can someone post of picture of what you're referring to? Maybe parked in front of a garage with the headlights on?

This. a
Appreciate 1
LeKayz85.50
      09-28-2022, 09:33 PM   #13
Vivalamatt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Quote:

This. a
Haha exactly.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 01:32 PM   #14
makers46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i, Mercedes S550

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Quote:

This. a
Haha exactly.
I will try and get an image. Direct on garage door or wall does not show. It's at distance out in front as you drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 01:54 PM   #15
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makers46 View Post
I will try and get an image. Direct on garage door or wall does not show. It's at distance out in front as you drive.
Ah, well be safe. May not be worth it.
It also may be tough to capture with a phone from the passenger seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:01 AM   #16
guywithcat
Private
Rep

I tried to do it last night on my garage. It's not clear enough to see with a phone camera. I will try again soon. But if you have a 2023, you should definitely see it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:06 AM   #17
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord - Manual

This is my attempt last night. It gets worse (more obvious) when it's further out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
arciga181728.50
MystroX56289.50
EvanX10.50
      09-30-2022, 08:08 AM   #18
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord - Manual

Not sure why it turned sideways
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 09:11 AM   #19
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Interesting. Definitely can see how that is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 09:52 AM   #20
guywithcat
Private
Rep

YES! That's exactly it. I feel better knowing I am not alone (But yet his photo is sideways)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 10:17 AM   #21
M_Chronos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Yeah, that's a feature not a bug. The pattern is made to maximize the illumination you get, to include signs and sidewalks. Read into variable light distribution. In the US, the variable part (based on speed and conditions) is what we have coded out. What you are seeing is fixed light distribution. But main point here is the light distribution is absolutely not flat.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 01:53 PM   #22
Vivalamatt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh wow that can't definitely be annoying. The lasers in my G80 are pretty much a crisp line. Wonder if the X7's headlights area better or worse than laser headlights and illuminating the roadway.
Appreciate 0