E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Preaching to the Choir....

06-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Preaching to the Choir....

It has been about three weeks now since I have owned my diesel. An exciting and satisfied three weeks.

I thought I would share some of my observations albiet most of this will be preaching to the choir since you all already know how amazing these cars are.

Background, I am 37yo, travel 75 miles a day for work roundtrip. Prior daily driver was an '05 X3 which was a solid dependable vehicle, but at 20mpg I was filling up every 3 or 4 days. I've been a BMW junkie since high school, started out with stick shift e30s, then had a few e28s, a couple e36s, two e34s, two e46s. I've also done my share of performance drivers schools in my younger years, back when I did not have a mortgage or a child. So I can attest I have a passion for performance and have owned three M cars. Just recently I sold my pristine E46 M3, I wasn't using it enough and 2 doors is awkward with a 3 year old son. Plus as great as the M3 was, I never developed the Zen oneness with it like I have with my E30 M3. Suprisingly I did not have that much remorse in the sale and it went to a great new owner and CCA member.

In addition, back in 2004 my father and I spent 10 days driving through Germany, Austria, and Switzerland in a Sixt rental 320d. I was so impressed with the performance and economy I knew diesel was going to be in my future.

All that said, you get the picture that I admire a car that performs while also achieving economy. In 2009 when the 335d was released I lusted after it, but no way could my checkbook stretch that far. Finally I have the car I have been lusting for. 2010 335d Sport Package and Premium Package.

The story is an interesting one. Since the sale of my e46 M3 I had been dilligently scanning the web for a 335d sport in my price range and lurking among you all here to learn everything there is to know about the M57. Finding a Sport pack car is difficult, beleive only 1 in 30 have it. I had also been working with my trusted Sales Advisor at my local dealer and he was searching the wholesale channels and possible leases that would be up. I also had a preference for either white or space grey and required it to be CPO given the DDE / injector / etc issues we've seen.

One Thursday he calls me, he located one in NC on a wholesale site. I stopped in after work to look at the pics and learn more. It was a clean car from the pics, no red flags, had all of the equipment I was looking for with the exception of nav....but I conceeded on that one. I gave him the green light. He made arrangements with the selling dealer and my father flew down to get it. My father does dealer exchange work part time in his retirement.

Dad got 40mpg on his return trip from Charlotte. Once it was back at my local dealer they had it about a week to fully go over it and CPO it. They installed new tires, had the wheels completely refinished due to light curb rash, installed a new battery, front brake rotors and pads along with fluid flush, flushed DEF system, new microfilter, wheel locks, PA state inspection, and insured it was up to date on campaigns followed by a thorough detail.

I couldn't be happier. This car is absolutely amazing. I use to love taching out my M3s and rowing through the gears. I honestly don't miss that one bit. In fact I get a thrill out of keeping her under 2k rpm and giggle with the economy this car gives. Plus the speed and acceleration is unreal when you do mash the warp drive pedal. I am use to loud revs being indicative of speed....this car has caused me to relearn what speed is. It is so quiet and effortless you don't even realize you've hit 120mph.

I've nicknamed it Rudy so as to pay homage the inventor of the diesel engine, Rudolph Diesel.

I use to enjoy modding my cars with coilovers, wheels, swaybars, etc. But honestly, this car is perfect. It gives me the perfect balance of sport handling and daily street civility. I even kinda like blending in to the masses. There is something sublime about appearing like just another 3 on the road all the while getting amazing mpg but having the hammer big enough to stomp most other makes on the road if the need should arrise.

Favorite memory so far, took my bud for a ride who drives a 135. We got on the highway. Found an open spot and I pounced on it. The diesel lump just launched us forward catapulting us well into the triple digit speeds without any loud groaning. My buddy looked over at the speedo and then gave me a fearful look and told me that was enough. Aka...slow it down.

Hoping to have this amazing machine for a long time!

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Blue water metallic with sports package (Style 195 wheels)

Looks exactly like mine. I love mine, you seem to love yours too!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Im glad your happy as well as I am I DONT plan to get rid of it for a LOOONNGGG time if not give it to my son as an inheratance item LOL. Now you need to step up mod the car either with a piggyback a la JBD or RENNtech flash as i have and to add insult to injury add the WAGNER IC and then you will see the progress. Some have been able to delete DPF those guys from Canada and some here in the states. Glad you joined us!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Amazing how BlueWater and SpaceGray look alike in some lighting. Same wheels make it look a lot like my bluewater. Of course, I have Cold Weather, so my bumper shows the headlight washer popup cover.

Looks like the previous owner blacked out the front side markers.

Welcome and have fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Congratulations on your buy!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Amazing how BlueWater and SpaceGray look alike in some lighting. Same wheels make it look a lot like my bluewater. Of course, I have Cold Weather, so my bumper shows the headlight washer popup cover.

Looks like the previous owner blacked out the front side markers.

Welcome and have fun.
Yep. Those reflectors look like they've been tinted.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
DC-IT
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Congrats and enjoy your D.
Looks like it could use a tint for the windows?
It looks in mint condition.
2011 White Gold VW Jetta TDI
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
It has been about three weeks now since I have owned my diesel. An exciting and satisfied three weeks.

I thought I would share some of my observations albiet most of this will be preaching to the choir since you all already know how amazing these cars are.

Background, I am 37yo, travel 75 miles a day for work roundtrip. Prior daily driver was an '05 X3 which was a solid dependable vehicle, but at 20mpg I was filling up every 3 or 4 days. I've been a BMW junkie since high school, started out with stick shift e30s, then had a few e28s, a couple e36s, two e34s, two e46s. I've also done my share of performance drivers schools in my younger years, back when I did not have a mortgage or a child. So I can attest I have a passion for performance and have owned three M cars. Just recently I sold my pristine E46 M3, I wasn't using it enough and 2 doors is awkward with a 3 year old son. Plus as great as the M3 was, I never developed the Zen oneness with it like I have with my E30 M3. Suprisingly I did not have that much remorse in the sale and it went to a great new owner and CCA member.

In addition, back in 2004 my father and I spent 10 days driving through Germany, Austria, and Switzerland in a Sixt rental 320d. I was so impressed with the performance and economy I knew diesel was going to be in my future.

All that said, you get the picture that I admire a car that performs while also achieving economy. In 2009 when the 335d was released I lusted after it, but no way could my checkbook stretch that far. Finally I have the car I have been lusting for. 2010 335d Sport Package and Premium Package.

The story is an interesting one. Since the sale of my e46 M3 I had been dilligently scanning the web for a 335d sport in my price range and lurking among you all here to learn everything there is to know about the M57. Finding a Sport pack car is difficult, beleive only 1 in 30 have it. I had also been working with my trusted Sales Advisor at my local dealer and he was searching the wholesale channels and possible leases that would be up. I also had a preference for either white or space grey and required it to be CPO given the DDE / injector / etc issues we've seen.

One Thursday he calls me, he located one in NC on a wholesale site. I stopped in after work to look at the pics and learn more. It was a clean car from the pics, no red flags, had all of the equipment I was looking for with the exception of nav....but I conceeded on that one. I gave him the green light. He made arrangements with the selling dealer and my father flew down to get it. My father does dealer exchange work part time in his retirement.

Dad got 40mpg on his return trip from Charlotte. Once it was back at my local dealer they had it about a week to fully go over it and CPO it. They installed new tires, had the wheels completely refinished due to light curb rash, installed a new battery, front brake rotors and pads along with fluid flush, flushed DEF system, new microfilter, wheel locks, PA state inspection, and insured it was up to date on campaigns followed by a thorough detail.

I couldn't be happier. This car is absolutely amazing. I use to love taching out my M3s and rowing through the gears. I honestly don't miss that one bit. In fact I get a thrill out of keeping her under 2k rpm and giggle with the economy this car gives. Plus the speed and acceleration is unreal when you do mash the warp drive pedal. I am use to loud revs being indicative of speed....this car has caused me to relearn what speed is. It is so quiet and effortless you don't even realize you've hit 120mph.

I've nicknamed it Rudy so as to pay homage the inventor of the diesel engine, Rudolph Diesel.

I use to enjoy modding my cars with coilovers, wheels, swaybars, etc. But honestly, this car is perfect. It gives me the perfect balance of sport handling and daily street civility. I even kinda like blending in to the masses. There is something sublime about appearing like just another 3 on the road all the while getting amazing mpg but having the hammer big enough to stomp most other makes on the road if the need should arrise.

Favorite memory so far, took my bud for a ride who drives a 135. We got on the highway. Found an open spot and I pounced on it. The diesel lump just launched us forward catapulting us well into the triple digit speeds without any loud groaning. My buddy looked over at the speedo and then gave me a fearful look and told me that was enough. Aka...slow it down.

Hoping to have this amazing machine for a long time!

Excellent color choice. In that lighting it doesn't look like SG though.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Looks great, just like mine except mine's black. If you choose a reflash there are more options than just renntech. I really dont know how you got 40mpg, as the best fuel economy I got was 34mpg and that's driving like a grandpa lol. I could get better with a tailwind perhaps?

congrats!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
Looks great, just like mine except mine's black. If you choose a reflash there are more options than just renntech. I really dont know how you got 40mpg, as the best fuel economy I got was 34mpg and that's driving like a grandpa lol. I could get better with a tailwind perhaps?

congrats!
I think the issue for you is that in Texas the miles are longer than in the rest of the country.

I got 40 mpg exactly on one leg of my recent trip from MD to FL and back, but those weren't Texas miles. And I was not exactly babying it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Glad you're pleased with it! I know you've been pondering the acquisition of a d for a while! The best part is that the novelty of the balance of the vehicle (performance, luxury, efficiency) never really gets old. I've had mine for 1.5 years now and still giggle every time I mash the pedal to the floor then look at my mpg. If anything, I love it even more today and I'm even more determined to keep it on the road for a long time to come.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
I think the issue for you is that in Texas the miles are longer than in the rest of the country.

I got 40 mpg exactly on one leg of my recent trip from MD to FL and back, but those weren't Texas miles. And I was not exactly babying it.
ah! i see my problem now lol, these texas miles are way bigger than the ones in the rest of the country, plus its really windy around here. I probably drive 80~85 on the highway. i did get my car back finally from the shop so i'll try and measure the mpg again.. i'll post the results as soon as i know.
Appreciate 0