E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP problem (WHAT YOU SHOULD DO)

10-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #23
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

I replaced my HPFP with this...Whenever I get long cranks I pull a new one out of a cage in my garage.

I should sell this to BMW

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #24
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by packinDSS View Post
LEMON LAW IT!!!!

I kept the car and got 10k along with an additional 2 years of warranty on my 03 cobra that overheated 5 times in the first year I owned it! Turned out the overflow tank threads were slightly stripped and sucking air into the system causing the overheating which they eventually fixed.

You guys with multiple HPFP failures qualify for Lemon Law. Google lemon law attorney....I do not want to plug anyone here. You will be able to keep the car and get a settlement. If more people make BMW pay for this shi**y fuel pump design they will act to permantly fix it with a redesign!

updated 10/01/2009

Drive it normally and let it fail......replace...fail....replace....then call Lemon Law attorney. They will review your repair history from the dealer and then only take the case if they think you have a claim. THERE IS NO OUT OF POCKET COST TO YOU!! IF ATTORNEY WINS THEY ARE PAID BY MANUFACTURER! IF ATTORNEY LOSES YOU OWE NOTHING! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain (for all of us)

A buyback is the worst case scenario for the manufacturer. They take a total loss and have to scrap (crush) your vehicle as it cannot legally be resold if they buy the car back as a Lemon. My attorney said that 95% of time the manufacturer will settle for $XXXX and a warranty extension (w/BMW you could push for Maintenance too). You have nothing to lose.....talk to a Lemon attorney (google it).

wow you are a former 03 CObra owner as well. I had one for 4 years and had nothing but issues with it. Over heated a lot as well. The driver side head had to be replaced because of the faulty valve guides and then the diff leaked all the time. I got rid of mine for this car thinking I would no longer have issues but 1200 miles in and already had an HPFP go bad. The lemon laws are different in most states but after it has failed I think 3 times here in CA it qualifies or if it is a failure that can cause death like an improper sealtbelt system or airbags, brakes things like that. You can bet that if mine fails 3 times before 18k miles I will be demanding they take the car back and get an attorney invloved to get money back on the car as well. BMW needs to address this fast and find a fix for it. Most people will let BMW steam roll them and bully them, but you cant let them do that. You have be tough, and that is what the attorney is for in most cases.
      10-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #25
packinDSS
Lead Foot
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
wow you are a former 03 CObra owner as well. I had one for 4 years and had nothing but issues with it. Over heated a lot as well. The driver side head had to be replaced because of the faulty valve guides and then the diff leaked all the time. I got rid of mine for this car thinking I would no longer have issues but 1200 miles in and already had an HPFP go bad. The lemon laws are different in most states but after it has failed I think 3 times here in CA it qualifies or if it is a failure that can cause death like an improper sealtbelt system or airbags, brakes things like that. You can bet that if mine fails 3 times before 18k miles I will be demanding they take the car back and get an attorney invloved to get money back on the car as well. BMW needs to address this fast and find a fix for it. Most people will let BMW steam roll them and bully them, but you cant let them do that. You have be tough, and that is what the attorney is for in most cases.
I had a lot of problems with my 03 cobra in the first 18months. But then everything got straightened out and I got my 10k check and warranty extension! Had Steggy Stage IV ported blower and all supporting mods.....that thing was a beast that very few cars could pull away from.

I had been looking at the 335i's modiability (is that a word?) and thinking about selling the cobra prior to the wreck..... I "hope" to get my 335i to the 500rwhp level so I can enjoy the "power" I once had in a more refined/smoother/quieter and grown up vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #26
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
I had a lot of problems with my 03 cobra in the first 18months. But then everything got straightened out and I got my 10k check and warranty extension! Had Steggy Stage IV ported blower and all supporting mods.....that thing was a beast that very few cars could pull away from.

I had been looking at the 335i's modiability (is that a word?) and thinking about selling the cobra prior to the wreck..... I "hope" to get my 335i to the 500rwhp level so I can enjoy the "power" I once had in a more refined/smoother/quieter and grown up vehicle.
I understand about the refined nature of the BMW. I was getting sick of the bare bones look and fell of the CObra interior and the issues with the car just having poor build quality. I had a ported blower with 17psi and all the bolt ons making almost the exact HP yours was. The car was a beast but just not fun to drive anymore. Even with that power I still got my butt handed to me by a stock ZO6. those are not easy to beat. Needed a twin screw which I was going to get until my motor went south and just decided to dump the car at less of a loss then fixing it would of cost me.
      10-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #27
packinDSS
Lead Foot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
I understand about the refined nature of the BMW. I was getting sick of the bare bones look and fell of the CObra interior and the issues with the car just having poor build quality. I had a ported blower with 17psi and all the bolt ons making almost the exact HP yours was. The car was a beast but just not fun to drive anymore. Even with that power I still got my butt handed to me by a stock ZO6. those are not easy to beat. Needed a twin screw which I was going to get until my motor went south and just decided to dump the car at less of a loss then fixing it would of cost me.
A friend has a Kenne Bell's 04 cobra 675rwhp......you take your life in your hands full throttling it at any speed...it can get away from you. I thought about getting a kenne/whipple but I couldn't keep the 500rwhp on the ground as it was. I lost mine on the highway with light rain.....I spun into the divider at 60mph. Luckily the car went backwards first into divider. Got insurance money and then bought car back and sold for $7500
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #28
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Depends on which state you live in, I know in VA its not only if the same/similar parts go bad 3x, but also if your car spends more than xx amount of consecutive days in the shop for a problem than its also considered a lemon. Imagine making payments on a 1-2 yr old car thats been sitting at the stealership for 60 days!!

Spool had his 335i lemoned in VA!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #29
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

So once you get your car back it's labeled a lemon and your dealership hates your guts and won't deal with you anymore - where does that leave you?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #30
kirby135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
So once you get your car back it's labeled a lemon and your dealership hates your guts and won't deal with you anymore - where does that leave you?
go to a different dealership...anyway its not your fault the manufacturer cant fix your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #31
packinDSS
Lead Foot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
A settlement does "NOT" make your car a Lemon. Your title will not say lemon and will be clean. The settlement just means that you and the manufacturer came to an agreement in which they gave you a refund of some amount for the problems you expierenced. YOUR CAR WILL NOT BE RE-TITLED AS LEMON.

Now if they buy the car back from you then it IS A LEMON and the title will state LEMON. BUt you wont own the car anymore so who cares.

God so many excuses in this thread not to go the Lemon route.......Hey can I sell you something for 50k and then when it constantly breaks and I fix it you just keep your mouth shut because you don't want to make me angry.....LOL...and I keep collecting your payments.....DOES ANYONE HEAR THEMSELVES.

Why is everyone (or most folks) so afraid to go this route? BMW knows there is a problem with the HPFP and doesn't want to spend the $$$$ to recall it...... Do you want to let them get away with that???? Or do you want to do something about it ? (triumph't song plays in background..)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #32
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

If the first report of the problem falls within a time frame dictated by eavh state then the other events have to be withina certain period of time after, but the key is getting the first report in. Also there have to be attempted repairs and documentation of a problem. If the work order reads, cannot duplicate, then it doesnt count. They actually have to diagnose and attempt to repair or replace it.
Then there is the new extemded warranty on the HPFP. I am not sure how that plays into the lemon law aspect but I think that the warranty was extended to avoid a NHTSA ordered recall. But that is just a thought.
I dont think the dealership will hate you. They donot pay for the buyback and they are not the ones who engineered the HPFP. Shit they know the part is bad because they get to see all of them. As long as the dealership isnt penalized they wont hold a grudge. They might like you more since you wil be happier and they can sell you all new mods for the new one you just got from BMW.
      10-06-2009, 02:45 AM   #33
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

you people in the US should take advantage of the lemon law. Canadians don't get this.. and we are pretty screwed once the warranty expires. I'd be all over an S4 or S5 if I were in the US, and my pump failed 3rd time.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 03:30 AM   #34
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

is there an equivalent lemon law in Europe Belgium or Germany???
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #35
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Quote:

Now if they buy the car back from you then it IS A LEMON and the title will state LEMON FOR that SPECIFIC STATE. BUt you wont own the car anymore so who cares.
My car was a buyback originally sold in CA. There is no lemon designation for the Tx title. And I have had ZERO FP probs for 18 months.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #36
packinDSS
Lead Foot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
My car was a buyback originally sold in CA. There is no lemon designation for the Tx title. And I have had ZERO FP probs for 18 months.
But they disclosed to you that is was Lemon'd and or bought back? Maybe they decided to buy the the car back so it would not be titled Lemon....thus they used the word "buy back"........and avoided the lemon law and now can resell....?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #37
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

The CA title was classified as 'lemoned'.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #38
TheNightLighterno1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW 352i

2005 325i
was leasing the car, then bought it out and started to finance in start of 09.
car has 96k miles.
been at the dealer's shop, in total, since day 1, added up....around 18months(various times).
So far, litterally since the day it became a finance, i've had, in a 2yr period.......2 transmissions blown & replaced(they paid)......and 1 of them literally blew up.
Then(between those jobs actually), 3 entire fuel pump replacements needed. 3 fuel pumps blew and wiring screwed. on that particular model, its 1 piece, so each job cost nearly 8-9g's. its in the shop for its 3rd now, 2 weeks after getting the car back from a transmission job. that last time, before having it towed back, i only realized there was a problem due to me starting the car(after it drove perfect) and it didn't start. I cranked the car 3 times and the 3rd made the starter go on fire. had i not lifted the hood to check, and was able to put the fire out.....the car would be burned to a crisp right now. among other things breaking or collapsing(driver side visor, passenger & driver fron and back windows, other interior pieces snapping or breaking like a cheap toy model car). also, and i know im forgetting an even larger list....the ac now blows hot air through the bottom vents while cold comes out/sort of.....the main ones.
do i have a lemon......? can I get a replacement car from them? it only almost killed me 3 times.......
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #39
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Here is something to look at for those that cant lemon

http://www.prweb.com/releases/BMW-la...web4615794.htm
      10-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #40
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

I just read that link on the class action suit. The problem in that suit is the issue of "Turbo Lag" How can someone completely remove that from a car that has turbos? It is technically impossible. All turbos have some lag. Some have a small amount and others have a huge amount of it. To expect a car to have no lag is a crock of shit. That is what they make superchargers for. I do agree on the fuel pump issue though. That is rather interesting.
      10-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #41
Quisp
United_States
Rep

It would not be something that a potential buyer would expect UNLESS the company that manufactured and sells the car specifically stated in their advertisments and brochures that they elminated turbo lag. If you see that then you expect it to be true and that was what happened. That was one of thier bigest sales pitches and people bought the car and at first it really did not have lag, but then ..