BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Acoustic Glass?

08-21-2023, 12:02 PM   #1
It's Good
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

Acoustic Glass?

Greetings.I own a 2023 G70 760i and post on that forum.I think BMW is selling X7 owners a "bill of goods" on "acoustic glass" in your vehicles.From everything I see, it is not true acoustic glass in that it does not appear to have the special PVB sound deadening layer in the lamination sandwich.It does not have the markings of the word "acoustic",the letter"A",or a pictogram desingnating it as such.The glass markings are the same as on my car which BMW Genius states is not acoustic but just standard laminated glass.Yet, they state that glass on the X7 is indeed "acoustic".Furthermore,the X7 I saw on a dealer lot this morning had Fuyao glass all around.Their website does not include BMW as a user of their AG product.Also,there are numerous examples of Fuyao acoustic product online that is marked as such.Probably not that big of a deal to most owners,but it does make a difference in certain frequencies for wind and traffic noise.Also,IMHO it's not particularly good practice for BMW to market something it does not appear to be.It would be interesting to get other's opinions and/or thoughts, if any, or if anyone could shed any light on the subject.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 12:42 PM   #2
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

The side windows are double pane. Besides that I have no clue. Turn the radio up, problem solved.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2023, 01:23 PM   #3
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
The '24 X7 was noticeably quieter than the '23 GLS when I test drove both (acoustic glass is optional on the Benz). Measurements from videos show something along the lines of 65 dB in the cabin, which is not bad!
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2023, 05:43 AM   #4
It's Good
Private First Class
Rep

CJ,thanks for the warm welcome to your forum and your rude,dismissive advice.We can agree that you're clueless in that you missed the point of my post.If being snotty to a guest is how you get to be a "captain" guess I'll stay a "private".Wow!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 06:50 AM   #5
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Good View Post
CJ,thanks for the warm welcome to your forum and your rude,dismissive advice.We can agree that you're clueless in that you missed the point of my post.If being snotty to a guest is how you get to be a "captain" guess I'll stay a "private".Wow!
I did not find his post rude or dismissive. He gave a possible solution should the acoustic glass not be enough.

Out of curiosity, what cars have you owned in the past that you consider reference quality for "acoustic glass"?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 07:48 AM   #6
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Lol. It's hard to decipher what people mean on forums sometimes. I stated I have no clue, just to add that the side windows are double pane and should offer some acoustic benefit. The last part I was joking. Should have put a smiley after. Didn't mean to offend. Also, as I was growing up, the joke was always when something is wrong with your car and you hear a noise just turn the radio up. Lol.

I don't know about this captain stuff. I'm a nobody.

Welcome to the forums!
Appreciate 1
EWL5891.00
      08-22-2023, 08:03 AM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Just assume a post is well intended if any possible interpretation is required. This forum will eat you alive if you get chippy by mistake.
Appreciate 1
EWL5891.00
      08-22-2023, 08:12 AM   #8
SMKS
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x7 m60i

Quote:
Greetings.I own a 2023 G70 760i and post on that forum.I think BMW is selling X7 owners a "bill of goods" on "acoustic glass" in your vehicles.From everything I see, it is not true acoustic glass in that it does not appear to have the special PVB sound deadening layer in the lamination sandwich.It does not have the markings of the word "acoustic",the letter"A",or a pictogram desingnating it as such.The glass markings are the same as on my car which BMW Genius states is not acoustic but just standard laminated glass.Yet, they state that glass on the X7 is indeed "acoustic".Furthermore,the X7 I saw on a dealer lot this morning had Fuyao glass all around.Their website does not include BMW as a user of their AG product.Also,there are numerous examples of Fuyao acoustic product online that is marked as such.Probably not that big of a deal to most owners,but it does make a difference in certain frequencies for wind and traffic noise.Also,IMHO it's not particularly good practice for BMW to market something it does not appear to be.It would be interesting to get other's opinions and/or thoughts, if any, or if anyone could shed any light on the subject.

The glass usually comes on the mercedes benz brands like gls 63 amg and so forth not 1 bmw has acoustic glass from what I know
A true acoustic glass is 3 layer type
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 08:33 AM   #9
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodtone9 View Post
The glass usually comes on the mercedes benz brands like gls 63 amg and so forth not 1 bmw has acoustic glass from what I know
A true acoustic glass is 3 layer type
https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...7qhlev/summary

Click on "View Standard Features" and then expand "Comfort and Convenience" and you'll see acoustic glass listed.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 08:38 AM   #10
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's Good, you're probably right that no BMW has true acoustic glass. The question is does it make a difference on the test drive?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 09:20 AM   #11
It's Good
Private First Class
Rep

CJ,thanks for the clarification and the other posts.The point of the post is that BMW is marketing something that it's not.It's misleading,confusing,and simply untrue.Obviously,standard laminated glass offers fairly good sound insulation but true AG offers a further reduction of up to 3db in wind and traffic noise frequencies.Enough to be noticeable.BMW could easily offer it as many less premium manufacturers do.It appears they don't but say they do.I think I've got my answer in that it doesn't seem to make much difference to forum members. Thanks for your responses and sorry for any misunderstanding.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 10:53 AM   #12
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Decoding glass, always a fun exercise ...

On my '21 X7 m50i, by the numbers (I have circled relevant code in pictures):

Windshield

Marked - II - Standard Multilayer Glass (no indication of acoustic layer)

Driver - Side

Marked - XI - Laminated-Glass Panes, except Windscreens (also no indication of acoustic layer)

2nd Row & 3rd Row

Marked - V-XI:
V - glass panes with less than 70% light transmittance
XI - Laminated-Glass Panes, except Windscreens (also no indication of acoustic layer)

Tailgate

Marked - V - glass panes with less than 70% light transmittance

So it does not look like BMW is using a typical acoustic sandwich glass.

It may be that the side laminated layer in the side glass acts as an acoustic layer, OR the laminated layer found in BMW glass is specific to BMW and it acts as an acoustic barrier, in which case the windshield laminated layer would count as well -- all pure speculation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      08-22-2023, 11:57 AM   #13
It's Good
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your post.I've also gotten in the weeds on decoding glass.Your markings just as I saw on the one yesterday at the dealer.Windshield and front side glass marked similar to my 2023 760i which BMW Genius says is not acoustic glass.No acoustic designation text or pictogram on either.Appears to be same glass,one called "acoustic" and one not.BMW appears to be gaming us,but folks don't seem to care to much.Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 12:21 PM   #14
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for your post.I've also gotten in the weeds on decoding glass.Your markings just as I saw on the one yesterday at the dealer.Windshield and front side glass marked similar to my 2023 760i which BMW Genius says is not acoustic glass.No acoustic designation text or pictogram on either.Appears to be same glass,one called "acoustic" and one not.BMW appears to be gaming us,but folks don't seem to care to much.Thanks again!
Surely you didn't think BMW "games" ended there, did you? Specifically for the X3, the advertised wattage on the Harman Kardon system is 600W (which was true when it had ID6) vs 464W on the latest offerings (X3 has been ID7-based for a while now).

MY24 X3 Options Page
https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...7z0097/options

HK Official Site
https://www.harmankardon.com/bmw.html
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 09:08 AM   #15
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I guess true acoustic glass or not, the X7 was rated as the 3rd quietest car in C&D's testing (behind only the Bentley Bentayga and Rolls Royce Cullinan). So even if BMW isn't using true acoustic glass, they're doing something to make it as quiet as it is.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
EWL5891.00
      08-23-2023, 10:39 AM   #16
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I guess true acoustic glass or not, the X7 was rated as the 3rd quietest car in C&D's testing (behind only the Bentley Bentayga and Rolls Royce Cullinan). So even if BMW isn't using true acoustic glass, they're doing something to make it as quiet as it is.
I guess, the main point of the post is not if the car is quiet or not, but the false advertisement issue.

On BMW website, they are listing acoustic glass as one of the model features. If the car is being marketed as having an acoustic glass and in fact it does not, isn't this dishonest and misleading? Wouldn't this fall under false advertising clause? Any lawyers out there?

'Models & Features' - scroll down to Comfort and Convenience: BMW USA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 10:45 AM   #17
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly! Let your ears be the judge! I wish my GLS was quieter for sure!
Appreciate 1
wtwo317971.00
      08-23-2023, 10:49 AM   #18
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
I guess, the main point of the post is not if the car is quiet or not, but the false advertisement issue.

On BMW website, they are listing acoustic glass as one of the model features. If the car is being marketed as having an acoustic glass and in fact it does not, isn't this dishonest and misleading? Wouldn't this fall under false advertising clause? Any lawyers out there?

'Models & Features' - scroll down to Comfort and Convenience: BMW USA
Yeah I figured that was the reason for the post. Back when I ordered my X5 prior to my X7, Acoustic glass was a $600 option. Would be surprised if I paid $600 for absolutely nothing. As far as I know "acoustic glass" isn't a trademarked term, so it's very possible acoustic glass means something to BMW, just not as what's described above.

My point is, if the car is one of the quietest cars on the market, and "acoustic glass" isn't some trademarked term/feature, does it really matter? BMW is doing SOMETHING to have the sound insulation be among the best in the industry.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2023, 10:33 AM   #19
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I figured that was the reason for the post. Back when I ordered my X5 prior to my X7, Acoustic glass was a $600 option. Would be surprised if I paid $600 for absolutely nothing. As far as I know "acoustic glass" isn't a trademarked term, so it's very possible acoustic glass means something to BMW, just not as what's described above.

My point is, if the car is one of the quietest cars on the market, and "acoustic glass" isn't some trademarked term/feature, does it really matter? BMW is doing SOMETHING to have the sound insulation be among the best in the industry.
Point more than taken. Yes, X7 is one of the quietest SUV out there, and frankly, I do believe it has to do in large part to the use of laminated glass in the side glass panes.

In terms of acoustic glass, the definition is definitely kind of vague:
"Acoustic glass is a type of automotive glass that is designed to reduce noise levels inside the vehicle. It typically consists of two layers of glass, with an acoustic vinyl layer in between (a sound-blocking PVB (Polyvinyl Butyral) membrane). This layer helps to absorb and deflect high-frequency sound waves, making it much quieter inside the car."

Laminated layers can vary depending on applications, i.e. HUDs require a special laminated layer in order to prevent ghosting (or duplicating) of reflected image. We are unable to confirm what kind of laminated layer BMW has requested the glass manufacturers to put in the glass, therefore we can't absolutely conclude if the glass in our vehicles is acoustic glass or not. What we can say with 100% certainty is that it is laminated glass, which acoustic glass is a subset of. We can only present the results of the searches and research that's available to us publicly, and let others make up their own minds.

Now, we can argue about a minutia all day long, but you are right !! The car is very quiet, the sun will rise tomorrow, we all should just put the gas in the tank and enjoy the driving experience of one of the most over-engineered vehicles out there

Cheers !!!!
Appreciate 4
wtwo317971.00
EWL5891.00
Dunnor11.00
      08-24-2023, 10:45 PM   #20
SUVLustMaster
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
The side windows are double pane. Besides that I have no clue. Turn the radio up, problem solved.
NVM!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 12:34 PM   #21
meccha
Private
Rep
Drives: ’23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
Exactly! Let your ears be the judge! I wish my GLS was quieter for sure!
Does your gls come with the ~$1100 acoustic option? I always wondered if that option take the gls to the next level quietness.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 12:56 PM   #22
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by meccha View Post
Does your gls come with the ~$1100 acoustic option? I always wondered if that option take the gls to the next level quietness.
No, I don't have the optional acoustic glass. I took a build that was coming in and was glad to only pay MSRP for it since nearly every other Benz dealer wanted ADM!
Appreciate 0