BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Ceramic coating or other ways of protecting your paint?

02-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #45
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Awesome discussion thanks everyone! I've got a Carbon Black on order and have been thinking about the best way to protect the exterior. I'm leasing so wondering if there are any issues with applying one of these solutions? Will anyone know or care at lease end? My assumption is that it's a plus since you're protecting the car's exterior?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #46
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
Having bought the X7 in carbon black -- probably the most difficult paint to keep swirl free and looking good, though when it looks good, it's amazing -- I'm wondering what can be done to protect my paint. I went to a brushless hand wash the other night, and already spotted a couple swirls in my paint when looking at certain angles.

I started reading that ceramic is all the rage now and wax is on the way out. I ended up after a little web research picking up this Avalon King ceramic coating DIY kit:

https://avalonking.com/

I liked the idea that one application supposedly lasts 3-5 years, and it'll have your car shining and looking better than wax or anything else.

What are thoughts on these ceramic coatings? As good as advertised? Anyone have any other techniques for keeping the carbon black and other dark paint jobs looking their best? (Note: as a younger man, I washed and polished my cars myself; these days, a busy job and young family don't afford me the time for that kind of thing anymore... so, hopefully some options that are not overly timing consuming!)

Thanks!

Lots of options out there but I would tell you it depends on how long you are keeping the vehicle.

PPF really is a big investment if you trade often.

Ceramic I do on every vehicle I own regardless. 1-2K and it looks awesome, easy to wash, has a warranty, and gives it a good protection from things minus high impact.

With a Lease or Loan you aren't getting that money back so it really is a piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #47
bmwx7lover
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW X7

Ceramic quoting

In NOVA

http://www.tlcautodetail.com/

I have not used their services yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:00 PM   #48
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfield View Post
I am also very interested in ceramic coating. Anyone knows any quality shop around dc/nova metro? Got a quote over the weekend and 2.5k for a silver plus seems a bit deep to me. Thanks in advance.
I had my X5 recently ceramic coated with XPEL Fusion Plus at Patriot Auto Detail. They performed a 2-stage paint correction, ceramic coated the entire vehicle including all surfaces and glass. I also had them perform 4 wheel ceramic coating ($100/wheel - $400) where they take the wheels off the vehicle, cleaning entire wheel and brakes, ceramic coated entire wheel and brake calipers. They're certified XPEL Ultimate and Fusion Plus installers. Veteran owned and personally recommend them.

https://patriotautodetail.com

If you're in Maryland, All American Paint Protection comes highly recommended. Had my previous X5 detailed there. They specialize in CTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra and XPEL Fusion Plus ceramic coating and XPEL Ultimate PPF.

https://www.aapaintprotection.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 07:10 AM   #49
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
I had my X5 recently ceramic coated with XPEL Fusion Plus at Patriot Auto Detail. They performed a 2-stage paint correction, ceramic coated the entire vehicle including all surfaces and glass. I also had them perform 4 wheel ceramic coating ($100/wheel - $400) where they take the wheels off the vehicle, cleaning entire wheel and brakes, ceramic coated entire wheel and brake calipers. They're certified XPEL Ultimate and Fusion Plus installers. Veteran owned and personally recommend them.

https://patriotautodetail.com

If you're in Maryland, All American Paint Protection comes highly recommended. Had my previous X5 detailed there. They specialize in CTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra and XPEL Fusion Plus ceramic coating and XPEL Ultimate PPF.

https://www.aapaintprotection.com
Outstanding and I’m glad you’re supporting my brothers in arms!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #50
midfield
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Thanks! Will give them a ring.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #51
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Does anyone know of a reputable ceramic certified shop(s) in or around Denver, CO?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #52
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Question

Does anyone know of a great place to do tint/ppf/ceramic in the Chicago area? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #53
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

All of your rides look fantastic. I'm new to this process and reading this thread has really got me considering doing this.

1. How long does the typical coating last?
2. What happens at the end when the coating begins to wear, or does it?
4. What happens if it becomes damaged, scratches or dens?
5. I'm leasing. Any concerns returning the vehicle at lease end?
6. Can you still go thru a car wash?
7. I assume there's no need to wax, at anytime after?
8. Are weather conditions a concern after applying the coating, extreme hot or cold temps?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #54
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Just one guys opinion but a worthwhile read:

https://canadiangearhead.com/paint-p...ting-worth-it/
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #55
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

My installer shared this with me before I had it done on our X7. Clearguard is the premium product and I have been very happy with it on our. Been 3 months and only washed it once couple weeks ago. Everything came off very nicely and I did not get the ceramic coating over the film.

03-27-2020, 12:01 AM   #56
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

it's definitely personal preference and personal taste. don't get fooled into thinking it will resale for any more or help in anyway in today's car market. unless you resell to a private party.

for personal looks, it's worth it and awesome. however in DC we don't get many rock chips, so we don't need PDF films. and we get mostly rain, so cermaic coatings would help but the inside of my car gets more dirty than outside with dirt, rain and mud.

for me, I found that a full detailing at $200 per year was better and cheaper than $1250 for a ceramic coating or $1850 for full films.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #57
SRL311U
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, G07

I had the ceramic coating performed on the Tanzanite Blue Metallic. It has made a huge difference. For the first 3 months, I have yet to wash the car and simply pressure wash off any dirt or (now pollen). In addition, I had the wheel faces and barrels coated. That has made a huge difference as no need to use wheel cleaner. Again, simply pressure-wash off the brake dust and it just flows off the wheel and the interior barrels. I had a very good experience and the shop also coated the brake calipers, suspension components, etc.

This is my first experience with ceramic coating a vehicle, but would highly recommend it. For what it's worth--and I have no real opinion on brands, the shop used IGL's Kenzo on the body and windows and one of their commercial/industrial coatings on the wheels (i.e., it was not one of their automotive products).
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      03-30-2020, 10:36 PM   #58
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL311U View Post
I had the ceramic coating performed on the Tanzanite Blue Metallic. It has made a huge difference. For the first 3 months, I have yet to wash the car and simply pressure wash off any dirt or (now pollen). In addition, I had the wheel faces and barrels coated. That has made a huge difference as no need to use wheel cleaner. Again, simply pressure-wash off the brake dust and it just flows off the wheel and the interior barrels. I had a very good experience and the shop also coated the brake calipers, suspension components, etc.

This is my first experience with ceramic coating a vehicle, but would highly recommend it. For what it's worth--and I have no real opinion on brands, the shop used IGL's Kenzo on the body and windows and one of their commercial/industrial coatings on the wheels (i.e., it was not one of their automotive products).
Awesome to hear. Curious, since you're in SC. What shop did you have the work done at?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #59
SRL311U
Rep

They did it at executive detail on Laurens Road (although they do it in a wet-floor paint booth off-site in Mauldin, SC). Really good experience, although I admittedly have nothing to compare it against.
Appreciate 1
ChexBMW30.00
      03-31-2020, 04:44 PM   #60
Habsone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

SRL311U
Can you tell how much you paid and what kind of service was done. I live in Hendersonville,NC an hour drive. Also, mine is leased MW so don't want to spend lot of $$$. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #61
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL311U View Post
They did it at executive detail on Laurens Road (although they do it in a wet-floor paint booth off-site in Mauldin, SC). Really good experience, although I admittedly have nothing to compare it against.
Excellent, thank you! I've been considering does PPF and/or ceramic coating straight from a PCD delivery, and had received multiple recommendations for Extreme Colors Auto Spa, also in Greenville, SC, and incidentally only 4 miles away from Executive Detail. Curious, if there's any reasoning why you went with Executive Detail, or did comparison shopping?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #62
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

I don't bother with any protection anymore. My current vehicle is a deep blue and the only thing I've done for two years is hand wash and use Aero Cosmetics Wet or Waterless Car Wash. I have next to zero swirls. If it does get bad, I'll have someone detail which I'd still have to do if it was wrapped/coated.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #63
SRL311U
Rep

I've used Executive Detail for years to keep the M3, my boat, and a few race cars cleaned up. They do paint correction and detailing for me. I looked at Extreme Colors and some others, but got pretty good reviews of IGL from a buddy who is an FI Manager at a dealership.

The pricing was fairly consistent for everyone. Around $1k for the basic workup and around $1500 for the longer-lasting coatings and to coat the suspension/inner "barrels" of the wheels.

I also liked that the cost at Executive Detail included compounding out any swirls, doing paint correction, and then doing a cured-on coating in a paint booth.

I've heard really good things about Extreme Colors as well, just no long-term relationship with them.

What was most shocking is the condition of the pain post-PCD delivery. There were some pretty major scratches and swirls already in the paint (about 22 miles on the car when I took it in). (I'll see if I can get the "before and after" pictures).

I was hesitant given that I lease cars, but the time-savings in washings and the savings on waxing has been pretty amazing. I didn't know that I would "buy in" to the ceramic coating stuff, but I am a true believer now.
Appreciate 2
Habsone73.50
Wild Blue3676.50
      04-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #64
SRL311U
Rep

For what it's worth, the coating of the barrels of the wheels would be wroth "alot" to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #65
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

PPF

I just received my car back today after having the PPF installed over the whole car (paint correction done first). Firstly I'm surprised these businesses are still open when most other places are closed. Secondly, I dont see me using the car much over the coming weeks so hopefully this keeps it clear until then.

The quality seems really good, the entire car is silky to the touch. The wing mirrors were done, but not the front grille as apparently the film wouldn't stay there.

For anyone interested, the brand is Crystgard.

A few pics...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3676.50
Habsone73.50
      04-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #66
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

How much is full film?
Appreciate 0