BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2018 Honda Civic Type R?

12-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #45
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

My dealer just got one in and I took it for a good drive. I own a Mk7 GTI (2016 DSG Perf Pkg) and I've also driven the Golf R, Focus RS and the STI plenty.

In terms of sheer performance and driving dynamics, it feels a step on from my GTI for sure. The steering is sharper, the ride more buttoned down, the brakes stronger. The clutch and shifter are fantastic, as per the norm with Honda. The car rode shockingly well. Grip was really great, I took it through some turns I've hit in far more expensive cars at higher speed than those cars.

It is without a doubt the best FWD car I've driven from a driver's standpoint. That said, it isn't perfect. Though it is definitely quick, feeling as strong as a Golf R from a roll, to me the engine felt kinda flat. The noise- or lack thereof- was of course pronounced, but even just the feel of the engine. Though it wasn't lacking in power or linearity, it just didn't feel very special or offer a much character. Especially not compared to the great Honda engines of past. Also, without being able to adjust each parameter individually- steering, engine, etc- I couldn't find a perfect setting. In 'Race', the steering felt far too heavy and unnatural for my tastes. I also didn't like the rev-matching feature.

Getting away from how it drove, the car starts to fall apart. The interior is an absolute visual mess. It's every bit as juvenile as the exterior, if that were possible. The fit and finish and build quality is fine, but the layout and look is appalling. The infotainment is frustrating. The lack of matching upholstery from front to back drives me nuts. Then there's the outside, which looks like Wings West had a hand in designing it.

From a driving perspective, there's a lot to like here, and in truth, it's the sharpest, most dynamic car of it's respective set. And it feels special for 35K. That said, I feel like my GTI could close the gap up greatly with just a few choice mods. And it is wholly more refined and tasteful. In the end, I couldn't buy one just out of looks. I know it's vain, but it's just the truth. If they had a more visually restrained model, even if it were the same price, I'd be tempted, but as it stands, my GTI isn't in danger of getting kicked out of my garage.
Appreciate 3
Viffermike1753.00
GERMAN M34182.00
      12-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #46
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I've only driven the Si, but the ride was great, as you mentioned about the R. Definitely smoother and better negative travel control than our GTIs.

But ouch, my eyes! Honda/Acura is so out to sea. Not a single good looking product (sorry NSX.)
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #47
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I've only driven the Si, but the ride was great, as you mentioned about the R. Definitely smoother and better negative travel control than our GTIs.

But ouch, my eyes! Honda/Acura is so out to sea. Not a single good looking product (sorry NSX.)
Yeah, even with how good they drive, the styling alone kills any chance their product has with me.

I really, really wish we got the GTI Clubsport here. That would be my perfect DD. I'd trade my car in tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #48
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Quote:

Yeah, even with how good they drive, the styling alone kills any chance their product has with me.

I really, really wish we got the GTI Clubsport here. That would be my perfect DD. I'd trade my car in tomorrow.
Is the clutch any stronger? I think I'm tempting fate just with the Neuspeed controller. I'd take a three pedal RS3 hatch, if Audi/VW USA didn't suck.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #49
Marmugmotleocay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

I went to the dealership today to look at it. My first impression is that its big. It seems much bigger and taller than the M235ix. The next thing is it feels cheap. They wanted $5000 over sticker. I left feeling more satisfied with the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #50
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is the clutch any stronger? I think I'm tempting fate just with the Neuspeed controller. I'd take a three pedal RS3 hatch, if Audi/VW USA didn't suck.
I think so. But I'd buy a DSG any way.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #51
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think so. But I'd buy a DSG any way.
Pretty sure the 6s DSG has more issues with higher torque than the manual. Of course the new 7s DSG addresses some of that.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #52
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure the 6s DSG has more issues with higher torque than the manual. Of course the new 7s DSG addresses some of that.
The 6sp DSG can handle much higher power levels than the manual. But the 7sp is even higher, yes.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4465.00
      12-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #53
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:

Agreed....the GTI Clubsport is an awesome vehicle. To bad we can't get it over here. Seems like we are always missing out.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #54
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Agreed....the GTI Clubsport is an awesome vehicle. To bad we can't get it over here. Seems like we are always missing out.
Yeah, VW really shits on the US market. If we got the Golf R Wagon w/ Special Order colors or GTI Clubsport like other markets, without a doubt I would buy one of those 2 as a 'forever' car.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4465.00