BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Audio not muting for CarPlay

01-14-2024, 08:28 AM   #1
turnem05
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60

Audio not muting for CarPlay

Anyone else have this issue? When I'm replying to a text or in general, talking to Siri, the existing audio (like the radio) doesn't lower/mute so that Siri can hear me.

I've looked for a setting and can't find one.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 10:50 AM   #2
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnem05 View Post
Anyone else have this issue? When I'm replying to a text or in general, talking to Siri, the existing audio (like the radio) doesn't lower/mute so that Siri can hear me.

That sounds like an iPhone issue more than a BMW issue. I'd make sure the iPhone was up to date, then unpair it from the car and reboot the idrive, then turn the phone off and back on again, and finally pair it to the car again and and see how it works.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 10:58 AM   #3
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:

If you are running a third party navigation app (Waze, Google, Apple, etc.) those apps have settings such as "don't mute car audio", "disable voice navigation", and "play voice over Bluetooth". Check those settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 11:53 AM   #4
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:

I'm not sure if this applies, but you might test it: general settings -> sound -> volume settings -> volume reduction. High setting will reduce the radio volume during system or speech output. I'm not sure if it also applies to speech input?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 01:11 PM   #5
turnem05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd99 View Post
I'm not sure if this applies, but you might test it: general settings -> sound -> volume settings -> volume reduction. High setting will reduce the radio volume during system or speech output. I'm not sure if it also applies to speech input?
Good suggestion. Tried this and then I noticed that it doesn't mute for "Hey BMW" either! Seems like the function isn't working in general.

Also rebooted iDrive with no change.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 01:12 PM   #6
turnem05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
That sounds like an iPhone issue more than a BMW issue. I'd make sure the iPhone was up to date, then unpair it from the car and reboot the idrive, then turn the phone off and back on again, and finally pair it to the car again and and see how it works.
Tried this. No dice.

Also noticed that the car isn't muting for "Hey BMW" either so it's definitely a car issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 02:52 PM   #7
turnem05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Figured it out finally. If you have the "Siri" toggle enabled under voice assistants then it doesn't seem to mute the car when engaging with Siri OR BMW. Pretty sure this is a bug in the software.

Once I untoggled that option, everything worked exactly as expected. Siri still engages with the "hey Siri" phrase... I assume it's being activated via the phone and not via iDrive.

Odd behavior but at least I got it working. The only downside now is that it changes my audio source when Siri turns back off.
Appreciate 0