12-26-2023, 06:50 PM   #45
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
--Just kidding!
Haha. Well as long as you agree with me then you’re always gonna be right.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 06:55 PM   #46
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Haha. Well as long as you agree with me then you’re always gonna be right.
I agree that this one has run its course
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 07:40 PM   #47
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnem05 View Post
I've owned a Model 3 and it will go down as one of my favorite vehicles of all time!

I've currently just traded in my X5 for an X7 as I wanted a bigger SUV to more comfortably transport my family on longer road trips. I was THIS close to getting a Model X and the main reasons I went back to the X7 were:
  • The Model X falcon wing doors are just too "showy" for me. I love the convenience of them but I just don't think I'd be comfortable knowing that people are looking at us all the time.
  • The M60 engine in the X7 is almost as fun as the Model X. Close enough!
  • The fit/luxury of the Model X is quite good but the X7 still edges it out considerably.
  • FSD (even in its current state) is better than BMW's driver assistance. However, BMW's driver assistane modes are close enough to what Tesla's offers (excluding their FSD Beta) to give me what I want.

I originally wanted to get the Captains Chairs for the X7 but there's not a good way to slide between them to access the back row... even for my 11 year old son. So I went with the bench seat which will give me WAY more storage and still give my son his own space in the back instead of wedging in between his two sisters!
I agree.. I would not get the Model X over the X7 if I only wanted the SUV. For a sedan, nothing on earth beats the Model S though in that price range for what I want. This is the reason I have the X7 and X5 for SUVs, but the Tesla Model S for the sedan. Greatest stable I ever had. If there is one Sedan I’d rather want, it’d be the 20-23’ M760 LCI with V12, but I can’t yet find the one with the right spec’s, so am good with my current toys.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 12-26-2023 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 08:05 PM   #48
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I agree.. I would not get the Model X over the X7 if I only wanted the SUV. For a sedan, nothing on earth beats the Model S though in that price range for what I want. This is the reason I have the X7 and X5 for SUVs, but the Tesla Model S for the sedan. Greatest stable I ever had. If there is one Sedan I’d rather want, it’d be the 20-23’ M760 LCI with V12, but I can yet find the one with the right spec’s, so am good with my current toys.
I agree. The "S" is a very impressive sedan. I only have one vehicle and need an SUV or I would consider the "S" once they have FSD at a more reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 08:25 PM   #49
Saejin
Captain
Rep

I just noticed this, but did member "Giggler" get banned? It shows as Banned under his username?

If so, why? Did it have something to do with this thread? I didn't find his responses to be offending or rude or otherwise break any rules.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 08:35 PM   #50
turnem05
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60

Quote:
I agree.. I would not get the Model X over the X7 if I only wanted the SUV. For a sedan, nothing on earth beats the Model S though in that price range for what I want. This is the reason I have the X7 and X5 for SUVs, but the Tesla Model S for the sedan. Greatest stable I ever had. If there is one Sedan I’d rather want, it’d be the 20-23’ M760 LCI with V12, but I can yet find the one with the right spec’s, so am good with my current toys.
Oh man this makes me jealous! LOL!! Sounds truly like nirvana.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 09:06 PM   #51
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I just noticed this, but did member "Giggler" get banned? It shows as Banned under his username?

If so, why? Did it have something to do with this thread? I didn't find his responses to be offending or rude or otherwise break any rules.
Intentionally spreading false information is enough for me; well deserved ban… though I don’t know the “ultimate” reason why he got banned and didn’t read his deleted posts.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 12-26-2023 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
tatoweb69.00
      12-26-2023, 09:10 PM   #52
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I agree. The "S" is a very impressive sedan. I only have one vehicle and need an SUV or I would consider the "S" once they have FSD at a more reasonable price.
FSD if anything would only go up in value/cost with time. As they continue to refine it, I’d become super attractive for robo-taxi and uber, and they cost would just increase in my view.

However, I don’t really think u need FSD… it is an over-kill and way too much of control. To me, the standard free Auto-pilot which does everything that FSD but in straight and curvy roads is just enough. I do not want the car to take turns or u-turns and hence I do not need FSD… free auto-pilot alone is great and better than any other drive assist… that was enough….. Cheapest way to get FSD, if u really need it, is to just get it for 200 USD/month once or twice a year, only when needed for a long road trip. Even then, to me, the free auto-pilot is good enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 09:30 PM   #53
tatoweb
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

Quote:

His last post was a total embarrassment, very disrespectful to other member in this thread and it was deleted when they banned him. Thank goodness there are mods keeping this forum clean.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71061.50
      12-26-2023, 09:40 PM   #54
tatoweb
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

Quote:
This went downhill fast. Understand people can get passionate about their cars and was enjoying reading the different perspectives. The problem is depending on how you look at things everybody is right and everybody can be wrong.

Anyway, on to the next thread, think this one has run its course.
You can get passionate about your car. The problem is when you don’t respect other’s opinions and start becoming offensive.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71061.50
      12-26-2023, 10:38 PM   #55
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
FSD if anything would only go up in value/cost with time. As they continue to refine it, I’d become super attractive for robo-taxi and uber, and they cost would just increase in my view.

However, I don’t really think u need FSD… it is an over-kill and way too much of control. To me, the standard free Auto-pilot which does everything that FSD but in straight and curvy roads is just enough. I do not want the car to take turns or u-turns and hence I do not need FSD… free auto-pilot alone is great and better than any other drive assist… that was enough….. Cheapest way to get FSD, if u really need it, is to just get it for 200 USD/month once or twice a year, only when needed for a long road trip. Even then, to me, the free auto-pilot is good enough.
Thanks for your suggestion, but my needs are as stated. That said, I respect your preferences and understand their basis.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 10:48 PM   #56
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatoweb View Post
You can get passionate about your car. The problem is when you don’t respect other’s opinions and start becoming offensive.
I get it, but respect goes both ways. I can probably pinpoint the exact comment that pushed this thread downhill and him to probably take the route he did. I didn't see his last post, but if it was enough to get him banned then so be it...that's on him.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 10:57 PM   #57
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Intentionally spreading false information is enough for me; well deserved ban… though I don’t know the “ultimate” reason why he got banned and didn’t read his deleted posts; but he seemed like someone who doesn’t deserve to be around here to begin with… glad he got kicked out.
Kinda harsh saying he seemed like someone who doesn't deserve to be around here...his previous posts outside this thread were pretty benign and he seemed to be a good contributor.

Maybe he was having a bad day, who the heck knows. Context and tone are hard to read through the screen, so he might have taken some responses to his posts a little too personally. I didn't get the sense he had a history of disrespecting everyone he engaged with on other threads.

I didn't see his last post, so if he crossed the line which it seemed he did, then so be it, that's on him and he's out.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 11:16 PM   #58
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Kinda harsh saying he seemed like someone who doesn't deserve to be around here...his previous posts outside this thread were pretty benign and he seemed to be a good contributor.

Maybe he was having a bad day, who the heck knows. Context and tone are hard to read through the screen, so he might have taken some responses to his posts a little too personally. I didn't get the sense he had a history of disrespecting everyone he engaged with on other threads.

I didn't see his last post, so if he crossed the line which it seemed he did, then so be it, that's on him and he's out.
I haven’t seen his previous posts, so u know better than me in this case. I agree that sometimes people may have a bad day… however, based on a private message I received from someone else on this forum, it seems that he got way out of context and crossed some extreme lines. It takes a lot for someone to get banned after he has some history, and while I haven’t seen the post, it was apparently very bad from what i heard. Anyway, it is what it is…. This forum like I said generally sees a lot of disagreements but is one of the best if not the best sub-forums I’ve seen. To maintain such reputation, moderators need to be strict sometimes…
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 11:19 PM   #59
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion, but my needs are as stated. That said, I respect your preferences and understand their basis.
I say keep the X7 for now, lol. Really if BMW can offer us a fully electrified X7, with slightly better drive assist for in-town that works as good as it does on highways, that’d be my dream car… I just don’t like the trend of very low mileage of BMW EVs, so I hope the next X7 EV would have sufficient range.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 11:26 PM   #60
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
I say keep the X7 for now, lol. Really if BMW can offer us a fully electrified X7, with slightly better drive assist for in-town that works as good as it does on highways, that’d be my dream car… I just don’t like the trend of very low mileage of BMW EVs, so I hope the next X7 EV would have sufficient range.
Thanks. I hadn't paid much attention to BMW EV range. I took a look at the I7 and it is on the low side as you say.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 11:29 PM   #61
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I hadn't paid much attention to BMW EV range. I took a look at the I7 and it is on the low side as you say.
Yeah, and then factor in the fact you’d avoid using the last 10%, and the fact that 90 to 100% charge speed is too slow, you end up with 80% of that claimed range, and then on top of that some EVs fail to get close to their EPA range, the i7 ranges becomes almost a joke… For my use I really need a minimum of 350-400 total EPA range to begin with. Same is true for i5…the usable range is a joke… am not sure why BMW opted for small battery capacities (probably to keep the MSRP somewhat reasonable)… Am hopping that their cost would improve in the future so they could offer large batteries for a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 11:33 PM   #62
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do you think the next X7 will go full EV or PHEV based off what they learn in the XM drivetrain.

If full EV, that would be the largest EV on market...that's a lot of weight to push around. Range would be very limited like you said based on the 10-80% charging targets for speed.

Honestly, think it would be great if the next X7 goes PHEV and incorporates more lux features from the 7-series sedans.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 11:39 PM   #63
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Yeah, and then factor in the fact you’d avoid using the last 10%, and the fact that 90 to 100% charge speed is too slow, you end up with 80% of that claimed range, and then on top of that some EVs fail to get close to their EPA range, the i7 ranges becomes almost a joke… For my use I really need a minimum of 350-400 total EPA range to begin with. Same is true for i5…the usable range is a joke… am not sure why BMW opted for small battery capacities (probably to keep the MSRP somewhat reasonable)… Am hopping that their cost would improve in the future so they could offer large batteries for a reasonable price.
My need for range is in the same vicinity as yours. From most reports I have seen, EVs are not selling well and cost may be slowing adoption by the public. Some manufacturers appear to be slowing market entry. Time will tell.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71061.50
      12-26-2023, 11:39 PM   #64
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Do you think the next X7 will go full EV or PHEV based off what they learn in the XM drivetrain.

If full EV, that would be the largest EV on market...that's a lot of weight to push around. Range would be very limited like you said based on the 10-80% charging targets for speed.

Honestly, think it would be great if the next X7 goes PHEV and incorporates more lux features from the 7-series sedans.
Yes, I think I posted what I know before about this subject.

The full electric X7, will be labeled as iX7 (formally will be G67), and will be in production starting 08/27 through 11/34, fully electric.
Expect some spy shots on the roads around Q2–Q3 2026. We will see the X5 EV (iX5) a bit sooner though, production starting 8/2026.

The EV variant will share the same body and hardware with ICE variants just like we are seeing now for i5, i4 and i7. Unfortunately we might not see the V8 again on the ICE variant, but that’s yet to be 100% confirmed. B58 engine will be the top ICE model.

Weight shouldn’t be an issue for range, BMW can use large batteries and better motors for efficiency… but BMW needs to figure the battery and motors efficiency game… Check the new LUCID Gravity SUV.. they have a plenty of range (~440 miles) and they are HUGE and heavier than the X7. Using their 900-volt electric architecture, their batteries deliver a lot of range from a rather smaller battery. BMW is a bit new in this game.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 12-26-2023 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
rjabend368.50
chicagox7190.00
      01-05-2024, 01:45 PM   #65
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 Jerez Black, 13 x5

Garage List
I echo this!

I think my model 3 performance from 2018 by far the best care I’ve owned. I currently have a 2013 M3 V8, 2013 x5, 2020 X7 m50i, and a GMC 2500 diesel. Have owned other bimmers, jag, toyota, and subaru.

There are cars for different purposes. But for most of us who drive to work/or drop kids off daily under 100 miles and get back home every night, a Tesla makes sense the most.

No need to ‘start’ the car, no need to wait for oil/what ever other fluid needs to warm up, instant power, press brake, shift and off she goes.

In 5 years of ownership and close to 100k miles driven, no ‘fluid to flush’, so far no brake work, no wires to change. My other BMWs need constant maintenance to keep them running. Tesla needed to replace 12V batter at around 50k miles. other than wiper/fluid, and tire rotations; ZERO maintenance so far. Hoping it will go another 100k miles with minimal things to fix. BMW maintenance - yuck!!

never needing to ‘fill’ anything up. Every one sleeps at night, so car will always be charged when you wake!! Superchargers all over if you need quick charge.

And the Full self driving (FSD) is incredible. NO OTHER car can do what my 2018 model 3 can do. It does close to 95% of the driving all the time if I want it. Gets on highway, gets off highway, turns on signal, turns on its own, drives around town on its own, brakes on its own etc…. all full self driving. I have to maybe occasionally intervene (on complicated traffic even for human) but you already have hands on wheel and paying attention. it is so effortless to drive long distances or even around town. I can keep going.

But that being said, it isn’t for every situation.

It is a small car and you do need a home charger to make it practical. The inside is no where near my 2013 X5. We got X7 for the size and better 3rd row seating. And X7 range isn’t that much off from the model 3. If Tesla made a large (larger than X) SUV with 3rd row seating, I might not have the X7.

On technology Tesla hands down (unless you like buttons).
On design and ‘luxury’ BMW all the way.
Maintenance - hands down Tesla.
Model options - BMW
Noise (V8s) and appeal of actually driving - BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatoweb View Post
- Digital keys don’t conflict between two users. The car always recognizes who is driving.
-No turning on and off
-Instant torque and no gearbox shifting can’t be compared to anything else.
-One pedal driving is super comfortable.
-One pedal driving means you never need brakes service.
-One pedal driving means your wheels don’t get dirty instantly like in many cars.
-Car is practically 100% maintenance free.
-Many warranty stuff can be done by Tesla at your house.
-Car is fully charged every morning.
-Tons of fuel savings.
-Tesla navigation and software is years ahead of any other brand. I mean, it even recommends to charge 100% when a hurricane is coming.
-Turn signal cameras for blind spots.
-Cruise control can be activated from 10mph. Useful for school zones. (BMW 20mph minimum).
-Theater system is amazing.
-Not only software and features keep improving very frequently, but they also keep coming up with new ones.
-Front and rear trunks storage.
-Phone can be seen while on the wireless charger.
-Car is always recording its surroundings parked and driving.
-You can view all the cameras live from the app.
-You can leave the A/C on all you want while parked without an engine idling.
-A/C is VERY strong.
-Seats A/C works.

…among many others.

My point isn’t that it is a perfect car. Our X7 has some things that are better than our Tesla like a more luxurious interior, a very soft ride, B&W sound is amazing, etc. and I do like the X7, but definitely if one car has to go, it will be any other before the Tesla. But hey, to each their own ✌🏻.
Appreciate 2
tatoweb69.00
      01-05-2024, 01:52 PM   #66
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
I am not familiar with the 2018 but currently, FSD is no longer "Full Self Driving" and $12K for something that isn't is pretty expensive

Last edited by rjabend; 01-05-2024 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0