BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Were They Supposed To Give Me My OEM Wheels Too?

10-01-2023, 08:54 PM   #1
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BSM M5C w/ 813m's

Were They Supposed To Give Me My OEM Wheels Too?

It's probably too late now considering it's been 10 months but it's something someone has brought up to me in the past.

Last November I bought 2023 Comp from the dealer. When the car got to port (I'm assuming) they had 813M's put on the car which are M8 wheels. Payed $6300 for an additional wheel package for them. Should I have been given the OEM wheels that came from the factory? Considering they're #1...already included in the price of the car and #2...I payed $6300 for other wheels which are not a factory option.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 09:45 PM   #2
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

That’s a good point.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 10:52 PM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriggsyG22 View Post
It's probably too late now considering it's been 10 months but it's something someone has brought up to me in the past.

Last November I bought 2023 Comp from the dealer. When the car got to port (I'm assuming) they had 813M's put on the car which are M8 wheels. Payed $6300 for an additional wheel package for them. Should I have been given the OEM wheels that came from the factory? Considering they're #1...already included in the price of the car and #2...I payed $6300 for other wheels which are not a factory option.
My understanding and as confirmed by micvite’s experiences, is that they actually destroy those “other” (original) wheels and you do not in fact get them back.

I believe the sole exception to this to be if your car comes with a summer wheel and tire set (i.e PS4Ss or P Zeros on 789M, 706M, etc. wheels), and you’ve ordered a winter wheel and tire set (i.e. the 705 Orbit Grey 19” set) as a port installed option, and the port/VPC does in fact install the winter set (say, in case you’re taking delivery in winter); then and only then do you get the summer (in this case, “other”) set. If one summer set is replaced by another summer set, you do not get the “initial” (factory) set.

I cannot confirm 100%, but I also believe this is case with replacing factory OE parts with CF; i.e., you won’t get your body colored mirror caps when swapping with CF mirror caps, if ordered as a port installed option.

I remember when you first got your car and posted your wheels that I commented that I was sure the dealership did that wheel “upgrade” with take offs from another car and just used it to charge you more. IIRC, you produced the Monroney sticker that showed it was in fact an option tied to your VIN, and not on the “additional dealer installed options” slip of paper that generally gets affixed next to the Monroney label (such as, for example, when the dealers add something like Simoniz protection).

Do I personally think you (and everyone else this happens to) should get the “original” set? Yes; after all, as you mentioned, you paid for them. Unfortunately, BMW evidently doesn’t share that same sentiment with us and this seems to be their policy.
      10-01-2023, 10:58 PM   #4
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
My understanding and as confirmed by micvite’s experiences, is that they actually destroy those “other” (original) wheels and you do not in fact get them back.

I believe the sole exception to this to be if your car comes with a summer wheel and tire set (i.e PS4Ss or P Zeros on 789M, 706M, etc. wheels), and you’ve ordered a winter wheel and tire set (i.e. the 705 Orbit Grey 19” set) as a port installed option, and the port/VPC does in fact install the winter set, then and only then do you get the summer (in this case, “other”) set.

I cannot confirm, but I also believe this is case with replacing factory OE parts with CF; i.e., you won’t get your body colored mirror caps when swapping with CF mirror caps, if ordered as a port installed option.

I remember when you first got your car and posted your wheels that I commented that I was sure the dealership did that wheel “upgrade” with take offs from another car and just used it to charge you more. IIRC, you produced the Monroney sticker that showed it was in fact an option tied to your VIN, and not on the “additional dealer installed options” slip of paper that generally gets affixed next to the Monroney label (such as, for example, when the dealers add something like Simoniz protection).
This is correct. If you order the winter wheels and tires the port is supposed to actually put them on the car (even if it's summer) and I'm not sure what they do with the summers (either stuff em in the car or maybe ship to dealer?) When I did the performance center delivery and was supposed to have the winter wheel and tire package (19 in wheels) my dealer had requested and gotten approval to leave the summers on and have them ship the winters to the dealership instead for me to pick up otherwise they'd just be like here! And give me the other wheels to figure my own stuff out in SC.

But as confirmed by MULTIPLE vpcs, all oem parts are destroyed to prevent anyone from wanting to steal them or sneak them out. Wheels? Spokes are cut. Trims? Broken in half. Etc. Im sure they eventually recycle the materials but it prevents anyone from being like oooo wheels in a dumpster don't mind if I do!
Appreciate 2
      10-01-2023, 11:11 PM   #5
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I believe the sole exception to this to be if your car comes with a summer wheel and tire set (i.e PS4Ss or P Zeros on 789M, 706M, etc. wheels), and you’ve ordered a winter wheel and tire set (i.e. the 705 Orbit Grey 19” set) as a port installed option, and the port/VPC does in fact install the winter set (say, in case you’re taking delivery in winter); then and only then do you get the summer (in this case, “other”) set. If one summer set is replaced by another summer set, you do not get the “initial” (factory) set.

I cannot confirm 100%, but I also believe this is case with replacing factory OE parts with CF; i.e., you won’t get your body colored mirror caps when swapping with CF mirror caps, if ordered as a port installed option.

Do I personally think you (and everyone else this happens to) should get the “original” set? Yes; after all, as you mentioned, you paid for them. Unfortunately, BMW evidently doesn’t share that same sentiment with us and this seems to be their policy.

That's genuinely silly considering as I stated. It seems almost as if they could choose the more expensive wheel option when they ordered the car to increase the price and then throw the M8 wheels on as an additional option to further increase the sticker price.

Hell I could take and probably sell the stock, unused wheels for like $3,000 or even if I liked them I could just have them powdercoated. But instead they get destroyed? Seems like a total waste.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2023, 11:21 PM   #6
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's genuinely silly considering as I stated. It seems almost as if they could choose the more expensive wheel option when they ordered the car to increase the price and then throw the M8 wheels on as an additional option to further increase the sticker price.

Hell I could take and probably sell the stock, unused wheels for like $3,000 or even if I liked them I could just have them powdercoated. But instead they get destroyed? Seems like a total waste.
Agreed 100%! And I’m sure there are unscrupulous dealers who will do exactly that. That’s why I assumed that your set were dealer takeoffs back then.

I also agree about the waste, but their rationale seems to be what micvite mentioned. Even if the materials are recycled, there is some serious waste going on.

I think a problem that would also occur (at least for dealer stock cars) is the logistics of what happens to the factory wheels. Two in the back seat and two in the trunk?

I think micvite’s case was a true exception and I’d be surprised to hear of that happening with any sort of frequency.
      10-01-2023, 11:45 PM   #7
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Agreed 100%! And I’m sure there are unscrupulous dealers who will do exactly that.

I also agree about the waste, but their rationale seems to be what micvite mentioned. Even if the materials are recycled, there is some serious waste going on.
Is it a waste? To them it's just a write off, in fact you paid for both sets of wheels already so who cares? Heck you almost paid for 3 sets😂😂😂 you do realize that the 813s with tires from bmw are 4200$ get them from an online store or cca discount you're at 3500 for the set WITH tires that cost neaely 2k on their own. It's why I didn't order the ferric grey wheels I want to get (7600 from factory) style 863m they can be had for right around 6200 with tires brand new from bmw plus I get to keep the stock wheels. Now the real reason for the inflated pricing is the difference between msrp and invoice cost for the dealership. All of these port installed options have an msrp, dealer cost, invoice cost etc. In theory you can negotiate each option down individually if you know what the cost is for the dealership. Will they do it? Who knows. But the difference between what the part costs online and what you're paying for when adding it to your build is pure dealer profit other than maybe a small install fee. For the cf stuff I'd rather just let bmw handle it because if they fk it up at the port they're at least better equipped to fix stuff there than a body shop for example. And it's not worth penny pinching the difference between a 500$ mirror cap vs a 450$ one imo. Sure I get the stock parts but who's really gonna want or need most of those body or trim pieces.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2023, 11:51 PM   #8
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Well here's the thing, those wheels were essentially pure profit for the dealership. And who knows if someone just ordered the car like that and backed out of it and they got stuck with it. Also not sure what you mean by choose the more expensive wheel option then add the m8 wheels to increase sticker price. Like stock wheels are "free" only the m8 wheels or the 863m ones cost extra and it's never worth it.

Yeah, you could've, heck you could've gotten this set of wheels for less than a third of what you paid for it. But once it's on the window sticker nothing can be done.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 11:59 PM   #9
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Qne of the other reasons is because of certain options and add ons being able to be residualized the case of a lease.

Realistically, unless it's a factory added option included in the MSRP, or an add-on that can be residualized I would NEVER have a port added option or dealer added. The prices are inflated, and generally speaking those items can be had or purchased separately for a lot less money. So unless it actually raises the value of the car, and not just an additional cost on top of MSRP, it's wise to just add that stuff later.Adding the stuff later is 1) cheaper, 2) you get to keep the original equipment. But in the case of a lease, some of these options you only pay for a percentage of the item. MPE, I believe is one of these add ons that can be residualized, but I dont recall 100% if thats the case or not.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 12:01 AM   #10
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Is it a waste? To them it's just a write off, in fact you paid for both sets of wheels already so who cares? Heck you almost paid for 3 sets😂😂😂 you do realize that the 813s with tires from bmw are 4200$ get them from an online store or cca discount you're at 3500 for the set WITH tires that cost neaely 2k on their own. It's why I didn't order the ferric grey wheels I want to get (7600 from factory) style 863m they can be had for right around 6200 with tires brand new from bmw plus I get to keep the stock wheels. Now the real reason for the inflated pricing is the difference between msrp and invoice cost for the dealership. All of these port installed options have an msrp, dealer cost, invoice cost etc. In theory you can negotiate each option down individually if you know what the cost is for the dealership. Will they do it? Who knows. But the difference between what the part costs online and what you're paying for when adding it to your build is pure dealer profit other than maybe a small install fee. For the cf stuff I'd rather just let bmw handle it because if they fk it up at the port they're at least better equipped to fix stuff there than a body shop for example. And it's not worth penny pinching the difference between a 500$ mirror cap vs a 450$ one imo. Sure I get the stock parts but who's really gonna want or need most of those body or trim pieces.
All fair points. I did mean waste in the environmental sense if they are not fully recycled, and even if they are, there’s a ton of waste/environmental damage that occurs in manufacturing them just to ultimately destroy them.

Not exactly a a tree hugger here by any means, but just making a point.
Wills28717.50
      10-02-2023, 12:02 AM   #11
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
Qne of the other reasons is because of certain options and add ons being able to be residualized the case of a lease.

Realistically, unless it's a factory added option included in the MSRP, or an add-on that can be residualized I would NEVER have a port added option or dealer added. The prices are inflated, and generally speaking those items can be had or purchased separately for a lot less money. So unless it actually raises the value of the car, and not just an additional cost on top of MSRP, it's wise to just add that stuff later.Adding the stuff later is 1) cheaper, 2) you get to keep the original equipment. But in the case of a lease, some of these options you only pay for a percentage of the item. MPE, I believe is one of these add ons that can be residualized, but I dont recall 100% if thats the case or not.
Also a lot of great points, and yes, the MPE can in fact be residualized.
      10-02-2023, 12:02 AM   #12
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post

Yeah mpe and all the carbon stuff wheels etc can all be residualized iirc since they're part of the msrp and window sticker.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 12:05 AM   #13
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Also a lot of great points, and yes, the MPE can in fact be residualized.
Still even if u rezidualize wheels it doesn't make sense, just get a set for yourself and sell them when the car is due back or get a used set etc. So many options that are still cheaper than the rezidualized cost. It's why I didn't both with the winter wheels this time around
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 12:10 AM   #14
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Still even if u rezidualize wheels it doesn't make sense, just get a set for yourself and sell them when the car is due back or get a used set etc. So many options that are still cheaper than the rezidualized cost. It's why I didn't both with the winter wheels this time around
I agree as it comes to the wheels. I’ve actually gone the even leaner route. I have one set of wheels and two seasonal sets of tires. Changeover, dismount, and mount, twice a year, with storage for the off season wheels costs me $1800 total over the course of a 36 month lease (not including the winter tires themselves).
      10-02-2023, 12:13 AM   #15
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I agree as it comes to the wheels. I’ve actually gone the even leaner route. I have one set of wheels and two seasonal sets of tires. Changeover, dismount, and mount, twice a year, with storage for the off season wheels costs me $1800 total over the course of a 36 month lease (not including the winter tires themselves).
Again I could NEVER lease... can you spot why?😂
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 12:17 AM   #16
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL love that they make sure to tell you it’s impressive. Fortunately for me, despite being my DD, I do have other cars and I’ve only put on about 12k in 15ish months.

Also, is that in the Android MyBMW app, or are you on the mobile site in your browser? I don’t have anything that looks like this.
      10-02-2023, 12:19 AM   #17
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
LOL love that they make sure to tell you it’s impressive. Fortunately for me, despite being my DD, I do have other cars and I’ve only put on about 12k in 15ish months.

Also, is that in the Android MyBMW app, or are you on the mobile site in your browser? I don’t have anything that looks like this.
Android app. And I too have other cars... that makes it worse because I also put like 3-4k in my other 2 cars as well😂😂😂
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 12:24 AM   #18
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Android app. And I too have other cars... that makes it worse because I also put like 3-4k in my other 2 cars as well😂😂😂
Looks awesome and nothing like the iOS version.

I know your Tesla sees high mileage duty as well. At least your dispersing!

Sorry OP, for the threadjack!
      10-02-2023, 12:52 AM   #19
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
How do I see this?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 12:56 AM   #20
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well here's the thing, those wheels were essentially pure profit for the dealership. And who knows if someone just ordered the car like that and backed out of it and they got stuck with it. Also not sure what you mean by choose the more expensive wheel option then add the m8 wheels to increase sticker price. Like stock wheels are "free" only the m8 wheels or the 863m ones cost extra and it's never worth it.

Yeah, you could've, heck you could've gotten this set of wheels for less than a third of what you paid for it. But once it's on the window sticker nothing can be done.

If I'm not mistaken aren't there wheel options that are more expensive? Sure some are "free" but aren't some an additional.cost if you were to build the vehicle yourself? Whether it be $500 or $1000 more?

What I'm trying to say is couldn't they have say built the vehicle with the more expensive option in return raising the sticker price? Then replacing the wheels with the 813M's anyways further increasing the sticker price?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 01:12 AM   #21
GriggsyG22
Private First Class
Rep

Safe to assume these were the factory wheels? Lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 09:11 AM   #22
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Safe to assume these were the factory wheels? Lol
Yup those are what was selected most likely. You can see on your window sticker exactly which ones (it'll be under the competition package)
Appreciate 0