BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
Michaelf90
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5 F90

Can bmw m5 f90 run a squared set up 285/30/20 and 10.5 each rim???

So I bought the vossen forged rims of my good buddy and it's a squared se tho each rim is 10.5 so I wonder if it will be good around tho
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 12:53 PM   #2
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

So you already bought the rims that you are now asking the forum whether or not will be good?

I don’t understand why you would purchase first and ask later, much like I don’t understand most of your post.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelf90 View Post
So I bought the vossen forged rims of my good buddy and it's a squared se tho each rim is 10.5 so I wonder if it will be good around tho
Yes and no. Technically yes you can run it; but the axels and drivetrain isn't built for it unless you're modified it.

You will almost certainly break an axle if you push the car too hard into a corner or over rough terrain.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #4
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Really? You think the structural tolerances of the M5 suspension are so close that additional corning force generated by a little wider wheel will brake it? It's not an aircraft! I doubt your assertion. I think you MAY however find that the track of the front and rear wheels may be oddly off. I'm not sure if the actual distance form the outside of the wheel to the inner surface of the rim at the hub is the same or different. If the rear hubs are actually closer to gather than the front to allow the wheels to all be lined up on the outside, then you may end up with a front wheel sticking out more than the rear. I double the drive axle will break.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
cream
Private
Rep
Drives: 19' BSM M5

Do not do this or you will break your car! I bought new wheels for my F90 and the shop I dealt with ordered the wrong size. On my way home after the install the car kept jerking back and forth on the road and the AWD malfunction light came on. Then the car put itself into RWD to protect the transmission because it was overheating since the front kept fighting with the rears due to the incorrect sizing.

Appreciate 2
      05-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #6
Danny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

you'll be fine a 10.5 rim can fit 285 front and rear, or 275 front and 285 rear.
Isn't that the original tire size anyway ?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 07:11 PM   #7
Michaelf90
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
Do not do this or you will break your car! I bought new wheels for my F90 and the shop I dealt with ordered the wrong size. On my way home after the install the car kept jerking back and forth on the road and the AWD malfunction light came on. Then the car put itself into RWD to protect the transmission because it was overheating since the front kept fighting with the rears due to the incorrect sizing.

Yeah I see but rear wheels are fine they are like original 285/30/20 rim width is 10.5 and offset 30, but front ones are the same as back ones so if the dont fit or will damage the car I will just simply buy 2 rims with rim width of 9.5
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2021, 07:12 PM   #8
Michaelf90
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakerStyle View Post
So you already bought the rims that you are now asking the forum whether or not will be good?

I don’t understand why you would purchase first and ask later, much like I don’t understand most of your post.
I got the rims from my buddy as I said I'm just asking if the will work for my car since all 4 are the same!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 12:43 AM   #9
Jakerx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do not do this or you will break your car! I bought new wheels for my F90 and the shop I dealt with ordered the wrong size. On my way home after the install the car kept jerking back and forth on the road and the AWD malfunction light came on. Then the car put itself into RWD to protect the transmission because it was overheating since the front kept fighting with the rears
When you say wrong wheel size, how do you mean? Did you have differing overal diameters?
Quote:
I got the rims from my buddy as I said I'm just asking if the will work for my car since all 4 are the same!
You shouldn’t have any issues running a wider wheel in the front, but it all depends on the offset and your tire size.

You can use a wheel/tire size calculator (Google it) to calculate the new clearances. Pending the answer from Cream to my above question, I think you’d be fine. I have a suspicion he had mismatched diameters but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #10
Michaelf90
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakerStyle View Post
Quote:
Do not do this or you will break your car! I bought new wheels for my F90 and the shop I dealt with ordered the wrong size. On my way home after the install the car kept jerking back and forth on the road and the AWD malfunction light came on. Then the car put itself into RWD to protect the transmission because it was overheating since the front kept fighting with the rears
When you say wrong wheel size, how do you mean? Did you have differing overal diameters?
Quote:
You shouldn’t have any issues running a wider wheel in the front, but it all depends on the offset and your tire size.

You can use a wheel/tire size calculator (Google it) to calculate the new clearances. Pending the answer from Cream to my above question, I think you’d be fine. I have a suspicion he had mismatched diameters but I could be wrong.
Thank u, the offset is 30 and the wheels is 285/30/20 with rim width 10.5
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 03:38 PM   #11
Jakerx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank u, the offset is 30 and the wheels is 285/30/20 with rim width 10.5
Here's a link to a wheel offset calculator. Input stock and your new size and you'll be able to compare more accurately.
Appreciate 0