XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

M2 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
XPEL,
Any idea when coverage options for the M2 Competition will be available? Been checking your website weekly for updates.
Thank you for your patience here, our update on M2 Comp pack is....

The way we get patterns most of the time is when a dealership in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, or Houston get a car in, we can go and design our templates. So we're just waiting for one of the stores in those cities to get a car in and allow us to pattern it. Our best guess as of right now is mid-August but that could be delayed a bit.

The best way to know if we have it, is to check our website as that auto updates when our design team uploads a new pattern.
Appreciate 1
pz6193280.00
      07-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #24
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
Thank you for your patience here, our update on M2 Comp pack is....

The way we get patterns most of the time is when a dealership in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, or Houston get a car in, we can go and design our templates. So we're just waiting for one of the stores in those cities to get a car in and allow us to pattern it. Our best guess as of right now is mid-August but that could be delayed a bit.

The best way to know if we have it, is to check our website as that auto updates when our design team uploads a new pattern.
Thanks! Car is due around end of October, hope it's available by then. Also, the car is simply called "M2 Competition", it does not have "pack" in its name.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #25
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

XPEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Thanks! Car is due around end of October, hope it's available by then. Also, the car is simply called "M2 Competition", it does not have "pack" in its name.
Oh great, we should definitely have the kits by then. Gotcha, M2 Competition it is.
Appreciate 1
Tag18434.50
      07-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #26
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
Oh great, we should definitely have the kits by then. Gotcha, M2 Competition it is.
FYI, the new parts on the M2 Competition are the front bumper and side mirrors. My understanding is the side mirrors are identical to the M3/4, so in theory all you guys will be measuring for is the revised front bumper. Rest of the car panels are unchanged.
Appreciate 1
XPEL350.00
      07-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #27
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
As soon as I receive mine, I plan to do a Full Xpel Stealth wrap. Not only do I want the paint protected but I also want a Frozen Silver effect - to be unique (seeing as Hockenheim Silver is a popular choice).
      07-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #28
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

If you decided to go partial, make sure you do on rear quarter panel... I know that there is a factory installed film on there but not big enough to protect road hazard.

I did full front including A-pillars and partial roof + side mirrors, rocker panels, rear bumper, but regret that I did not make rear quarter panel no being covered.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 08:49 PM   #29
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

I only see on major change on our cars which is the bumper, the rest we can pull from the M3/M4 like the mirrors. The fenders, hood, a pillars, roof, doors, rear qtrs, gas lid, rear bumper are pretty much the same.

here is my m2 just for the heck of it.
Appreciate 2
XPEL350.00
mtoosexy734.50
      07-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #30
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
I only see on major change on our cars which is the bumper, the rest we can pull from the M3/M4 like the mirrors. The fenders, hood, a pillars, roof, doors, rear qtrs, gas lid, rear bumper are pretty much the same.
What will complicate things is the new Mperf body panels.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #31
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I live in AZ where Xpel is mandatory for the survival of your car. I am a big proponent of the full front of the car being covered, a seam across the hood and fenders is terrible and the Xpel only works where it is so why take a chance on rock skipping across your hood? BTW that happened to me a week after I got my car covered. I also recommend the rockers get covered, the shape makes them susceptible to rocks hitting them right in front of the rear wheels, I didn't get mine done until I noticed mine taking a beating. Finally I had my guy remove the factory piece in front of the rear wheels, they are too small and so thick it looks terrible, he covered the entire area from the door seam to the body line. It has proved to be very valuable protection because I have had both replaced since from taking hits from crap in the road flying up. The body curves of the M2 make it more susceptible than most cars I have owned so if your OCD like me Xpel is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #32
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Is it mandatory in AZ because of unpaved roads? I would think because you don't get snow in most of the state that your roads would be in better shape and you don't have to deal with debris from road sanding and such that are major issues up north as even after winter we have a lot of gravel on the side of the road until the city gets around to cleaning the streets.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #33
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Is it mandatory in AZ because of unpaved roads? I would think because you don't get snow in most of the state that your roads would be in better shape and you don't have to deal with debris from road sanding and such that are major issues up north as even after winter we have a lot of gravel on the side of the road until the city gets around to cleaning the streets.
Mandatory because were in the desert so lots of tiny rocks get washed on the road during our heavy rains in the summer time. That stuff gets picked up by your car, the car in front and cars going in the other direction and basically sandblast the car. Additionally on the freeways 85 MPH is a common speed so that adds to it. At 33,000 miles on my M2 it looks great, the XPEL has taken a pretty big beating so I will likely get some sections redone at some point but the paint has just one chip on the A pillar which I didn't get covered. My OCD didn't take me to the point of covering the whole car so I knew it was a matter of time before I got a chip on the roof or A pillar.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #34
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post

here is my m2 just for the heck of it.
Hey DD,

Are you guys using the xpel ultimate plus ppf? If so what are your thoughts compared to xpel ultimate?

Car looks awesome!

~I
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #35
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
What will complicate things is the new Mperf body panels.
you are right I would just bulk /custom those until the templates come out.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #36
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyasha View Post
Hey DD,

Are you guys using the xpel ultimate plus ppf? If so what are your thoughts compared to xpel ultimate?

Car looks awesome!

~I
yes we are an authorized xpel installer in NJ and we love it or we would not use it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #37
Bimm3rM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Is it coming soon ?
What’s the solution if there is not the pre kit

Last edited by Bimm3rM4; 08-24-2018 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #38
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

If you’re going to pay for paint protection, go full front (front bumper, entire hood, front fenders, a pillars, side mirrors, and/or leading edge of roof). I personally would even cover rockers, and the rear fenders in front and on top of wheel well. Maybe even the portion of rear bumper directly to the rear/adjacent to rear tires. I always do a paint detail and correction as needed on the surfaces to be protected, then carefully drive the car over to my PPF guy. As I get older, and with kids, I now want to spend the least amount of time on weekends washing the car haha

For the M2 comp, I’m with Msport X1. Im going full Xpel Stealth.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #39
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Mandatory because were in the desert so lots of tiny rocks get washed on the road during our heavy rains in the summer time. That stuff gets picked up by your car, the car in front and cars going in the other direction and basically sandblast the car. Additionally on the freeways 85 MPH is a common speed so that adds to it. At 33,000 miles on my M2 it looks great, the XPEL has taken a pretty big beating so I will likely get some sections redone at some point but the paint has just one chip on the A pillar which I didn't get covered. My OCD didn't take me to the point of covering the whole car so I knew it was a matter of time before I got a chip on the roof or A pillar.
I agree. I’ve been back in AZ for 5 months now. 2 cracked windshields already. I don’t think I could emotionally handle what the paint would like if it wasn’t protected...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #40
diggis_tennis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i Msport

sorry for non related question on the thread but didnt want to start a separate thread. quick question, is PPF zero touch car wash friendly? whats a typical way to maintain ppf?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 07:33 PM   #41
PaulAZ
Rep
Drives: Tecoma

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to ceramic coatings before Clear Bra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil///M View Post
Should get ceramic coating done as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #42
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil///M View Post
Should get ceramic coating done as well.
There's no value on covering a ceramic coat with film. The film is for protection, the ceramic is for easy cleaning. In fact, to apply the film they actually have to scuff up the smooth ceramic surface.
      08-23-2018, 08:47 PM   #43
PaulAZ
Rep
Drives: Tecoma

Clear Bra material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry.beck View Post
There's no value on covering a ceramic coat with film. The film is for protection, the ceramic is for easy cleaning. In fact, to apply the film they actually have to scuff up the smooth ceramic surface.
Thank You Sir! Is it still prudent to apply the ceramic coating to the top of the Clear Bra material, or is that not a compatible nano product with the "vinyl-plastic, not sure what it is?" Clear Bra material?

Also, Is the Clear Bra material easily removable and how long does it last?

What should it cost (say in California) to clear cover an entire car? or the option of just the front half?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 09:07 PM   #44
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry.beck View Post
Thank You Sir! Is it still prudent to apply the ceramic coating to the top of the Clear Bra material, or is that not a compatible nano product with the "vinyl-plastic, not sure what it is?" Clear Bra material?

Also, Is the Clear Bra material easily removable and how long does it last?

What should it cost (say in California) to clear cover an entire car? or the option of just the front half?
Absolutely worth putting ceramic over the film if you want the easiest wash experience for several years. How long will depends on the product, whether you maintain it, and how you wash.

The film life very much depends on the product. Many many many years if you select a top tier product.

I'm sure cost varies widely from region to region. I typically see around $2500 for a full front end as a rough order of magnitude.