BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum GCWWR and towing

04-11-2022, 08:00 PM   #1
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

GCWWR and towing

Does anyone know what the GCVWR is for the x7 in particular m50i?

Im looking to purchase a new x7 and trying to make sure it will sufficiently pull a 6600 lbs boat & trailer. It sounds like a lot of people are happy with how well the x7 tows.
      04-11-2022, 08:05 PM   #2
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///bproden View Post

Im looking to purchase a new x7 and trying to make sure it will sufficiently pull a 6600 lbs boat & trailer. It sounds like a lot of people are happy with how well the x7 tows.
As usual with the unibody (hence no WD hitches allowed) German SUVs the max tow weight isn't your limiting factor but rather the allowable tongue weight of 606lbs in the case of the X7. So if with a 6600lbs boat you'd want at least 660lbs on the tongue (10%-15% of trailer weight to prevent sway), you're already beyond OEM specs. That being said, plenty of people pull this kind of setup anyway and have no issues. FYI - the electronically built in anti sway system in the OEM tow equipped X7 is a reactive system, not a preventive one.

EDIT: I think you'll have to calculate the GCVWR yourself using trailer and door stickers. Definitely have not come across this being advertised anywhere. The max trailer weight for the X7 is 7507lbs with the V8 and OEM Trailer Package
      04-11-2022, 08:08 PM   #3
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///bproden View Post

As usual with the unibody German SUVs the max tow weight isn't your limiting factor but rather the allowable tongue weight of 606lbs in the case of the X7. So if with a 6600lbs boat you'd want at least 660lbs on the tongue (10%-15% of trailer weight to prevent sway), you're already beyond OEM specs. That being said, plenty of people pull this kind of setup anyway and have no issues. FYI - the electronically built in anti sway system in the OEM tow equipped X7 is a reactive system, not a preventive one.
Thanks, yeah I have found out that the boat actually only has a tongue weight around 550 lbs. Just curious on the gcvwr, as I have yet to find that info anywhere
      04-11-2022, 09:07 PM   #4
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

Unibody is not limiting factor for using weight distribution hitch. BMW simply does not test their vehicles for weight distribution hitches (these hitches are not allowed in Europe). However, a number of other German manufacturers are testing SUV for WDH. BMW for decades ignored US customers who want to with bimmers. Nothing new.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 12:13 AM   #5
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Unibody is not limiting factor for using weight distribution hitch. BMW simply does not test their vehicles for weight distribution hitches (these hitches are not allowed in Europe). However, a number of other German manufacturers are testing SUV for WDH. BMW for decades ignored US customers who want to with bimmers. Nothing new.
I read somewhere once that WD effects different forces on the body than a normal hitch and that unibody is more likely to experience damage from said forces:
"When you place the trailer's tongue weight on a vehicle with a steel frame, the weight can distribute through the frame rails without issues. A unibody vehicle is not nearly as rigid as a steel frame, so distributing trailer tongue weight on a unibody vehicle can be problematic."

Could be right or wrong, I'm no expert. Maybe the X7's carbon core is even more rigid - who knows. Either way - WD is called out in the manual not to be used!
      04-12-2022, 01:41 AM   #6
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

Merc has the WD and non-WD sticker on the hitches. VW/Audi/Porsche were not consistent with the stickers on the hitches, but generally the hitches are ok to be used with WDH.

Unibody is more stiff than body on frame. The only concern with unibody could be the mounting points and the design of the hitch. As an example, E70 has long drop plates to the receiver which results with a lot of pressure on receiver when WDH is used. Reinforcement solves the issue. Just Google Can am hitch reinforcement.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 06:03 AM   #7
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Merc has the WD and non-WD sticker on the hitches. VW/Audi/Porsche were not consistent with the stickers on the hitches, but generally the hitches are ok to be used with WDH.

Unibody is more stiff than body on frame. The only concern with unibody could be the mounting points and the design of the hitch. As an example, E70 has long drop plates to the receiver which results with a lot of pressure on receiver when WDH is used. Reinforcement solves the issue. Just Google Can am hitch reinforcement.
I actually tried finding the line in the manual yesterday and couldn't find it anymore. Last I saw it was on a 2019 X7 manual but my 2022 doesn't have the "Don't use weight distribution equipment" line. Maybe now it's game to use WD hitches with the X7? Are you recommending to use the Can Am reinforcement with the X7 when using a WD? Or maybe it works without it too. I am going to look under the hitch today and see if I find any of those stickers you mentioned.
      04-12-2022, 11:23 AM   #8
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

I don't know the situation with X7. I will know when LCI arrives. Andy Thomson at Can Am in Canada would know and he is willing to discuss such questions. I have reinforcement on my E70.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50