BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 vs Ford Edge

07-31-2023, 10:55 AM   #1
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 528

X7 vs Ford Edge

I own a 2024 X5, have a 2024 X7 on order (long story for another post), my wife drives a 2023 Q7, and none of them can hold a candle to the air conditioning in my rental Ford Edge. We are in Maui this week with a Ford Edge as our rental, and this thing has the cooling power of our X5 and Q7 combined. Makes me miss 'merican cars a bit. Why are the germans so weak on AC? Is this just an efficiency thing?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 11:15 AM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

All I can say is my 2020 X7M50i on max cold will freeze me out on a 90 degree day in under 2 minutes and I have to turn the cold back up to mid temp. It works very very well. That said, I had a loaner base 2023 X5 40i for a day and set on max including the vent temp and it took 30 minutes of driving just to get livable cold. I am convinced not all HVAC systems are equal in the BMW line up.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 11:22 AM   #3
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 528

I've owned a 2020 X7 50i and 2019 X5. Both are underwhelming....I do think the LCI is even a little weaker than the pre-LCI, but I am also averaging 28.6 MPG in my X5 LCI, which makes me think they reduced the AC to up the fuel economy. Interestingly my wife's Q7 is weaker than her preface-lifted Q7 which makes me think it's a regulatory thing. If you have been to Germany, you know they don't believe in AC....but I don't get it for a car built for the whole world.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 12:32 PM   #4
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

I have zero issues with our 2022 X7 40i. Temps have been 100+ with higher heat index and it's been fine. And I'm always hot and tend to hack hotel thermostats to drop them to 60 so me saying our X7 has cold air, then that means something haha!
Appreciate 2
MystroX56289.50
rjabend368.50
      07-31-2023, 01:20 PM   #5
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

We just spent 2 weeks in 100+ degree weather (many days in 115-120 degrees), and the AC in our 2020 X7 has had no issues keeping the interior cool.
Wife and kids even said it's too cold. Asked me to turn the temp up and they also put on a light sweater or blanket.

Make sure you have good ceramic/carbon tint on all glass. and make sure you have the AC setup to blow cold air. In old BMW there used to be a knob near the vents that adjust the temperature of the air coming out. That has now been moved into a sub menu in the idrive system.
If that is not set correctly, you could have MAX AC on and it'll still blow out warm/hot air.
Appreciate 1
77SU42.50
      08-01-2023, 12:57 AM   #6
007 G07
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '05 Odyssey EX-L

Garage List
In my 2020 X7 M50i, I find that it has no issues cooling the cabin and keeping it cool - on "AUTO" mode, that is. When I manually set the fan speed to a lower speed, then it takes a bit of time, but not too long. Once it's cool, it's able to keep it that way.

I've found that "AUTO" mode, though, almost instantly cools the cabin.

Interestingly, all the zones can have the "AUTO" mode active even when selecting different fan speeds manually. I don't think I've had another car with a single "AUTO" option be able to allow manual selection of fan speeds.

We have another car that has an overall AUTO option, but it also has individual AUTO options for fan speed, air position, heat/cool seats if you want to manually set some of the components but leave others on AUTO.

Anyways, you could give AUTO mode a try or try verifying that your temperature coming from the vents is a cold temperature like the above-mentioned post - I actually have not tried the latter myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 07:10 AM   #7
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by baca8302 View Post
Why are the germans so weak on AC? Is this just an efficiency thing?
Please don't lump my GLS450 into this as the A/C is perfect in that car (secondary battery continues when engine is stopped at a light).

I've had some recent software updates to my X3 and I could almost swear the A/C has been a bit worse than when I first got the car nearly 10 months ago!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 09:33 PM   #8
supdes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
Please don't lump my GLS450 into this as the A/C is perfect in that car (secondary battery continues when engine is stopped at a light).

I've had some recent software updates to my X3 and I could almost swear the A/C has been a bit worse than when I first got the car nearly 10 months ago!
Same with my VW Atlas SEL R line… it’s a fridge. Moreover, the cooled seats really get you chilled after a while to the point I have to turn them down especially when wearing breathable sports clothing.
On the contrary, however, I do have to precondition my 23 X7 m60i due to the weak air flow, especially considering the size of the interior space it has too cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 03:00 PM   #9
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I have ceramic tints all around, all windows, windshield, even both sunroofs. That helps a LOT. I've never had any issues with the AC and I'm convinced it's partly because of the ceramic tints keeping things a little cooler to begin with.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 03:10 PM   #10
LeKayz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Garage List
24 x7 m60i, no issues with a/c. Still very cold just on low.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 11:38 AM   #11
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

2023 40i, after some fiddling and some adjustment to tolerance of noise. ours works just fine. traced root of “feel issue” to a few primary causes
1) front vents design limits flow in general so natural desire to keep fan setting in very low to avoid unwanted NVH from the front ac system. Had to adapt to just dealing with the noise and moving it up to low or medium on a regular basis
2)upper air setting for driver and passenger, make sure this is set on the colder side if not all the way cold, otherwise the car will mix warm air in and this very much affects feel. You can even do a comparison to the rear b pillar vents and the front center vent, rear b pillar was noticeably colder (which is perfect for us with car seats and wanting to be sure kids get most cold air swirl)
3)be sure recirculation is on auto, discovered our factory setting (or just some dealer lot person) was off so car was fighting outside air constantly

Overall I think they missed the mark, especially with the nvh, I think if folks defaulted to medium or low airflow without sounding like we are stuck in a wind tunnel the complaints would be lower.
We know bmw errs towards “sustainable and efficient” so my expectation is not the refrigerator cold that blows from my raptor even on lowest setting. The flip side being after 30 min in the truck my hands are freezing and there is no lower setting other than off. Win some, lose some I guess.
Appreciate 2
      08-05-2023, 11:53 AM   #12
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
2023 40i, after some fiddling and some adjustment to tolerance of noise. ours works just fine. traced root of “feel issue” to a few primary causes
1) front vents design limits flow in general so natural desire to keep fan setting in very low to avoid unwanted NVH from the front ac system. Had to adapt to just dealing with the noise and moving it up to low or medium on a regular basis
2)upper air setting for driver and passenger, make sure this is set on the colder side if not all the way cold, otherwise the car will mix warm air in and this very much affects feel. You can even do a comparison to the rear b pillar vents and the front center vent, rear b pillar was noticeably colder (which is perfect for us with car seats and wanting to be sure kids get most cold air swirl)
3)be sure recirculation is on auto, discovered our factory setting (or just some dealer lot person) was off so car was fighting outside air constantly

Overall I think they missed the mark, especially with the nvh, I think if folks defaulted to medium or low airflow without sounding like we are stuck in a wind tunnel the complaints would be lower.
We know bmw errs towards “sustainable and efficient” so my expectation is not the refrigerator cold that blows from my raptor even on lowest setting. The flip side being after 30 min in the truck my hands are freezing and there is no lower setting other than off. Win some, lose some I guess.
Agree with everything you said. It took me some time to figure out what you laid out here, but now I'm much more content with the AC in my X7. I have my fan speed set to the 2nd from highest setting and it works well for me. There are still some odd things that occur from time to time, like when the outside air temp is 72, the auto air temp is set to 75 and it's blowing super cold air on me. But the design on the vents to turn them off works great. Truly seals the vent closed and stops the cold air from blowing on me when I don't want it to. One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to stop the 2nd and 3rd row from blowing so hard. I manually turn the fan speed down because of the noise. I do not have passengers back there often, so I wish it would just default to the lowest fan speed setting back there.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 08:23 PM   #13
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
Agree with everything you said. It took me some time to figure out what you laid out here, but now I'm much more content with the AC in my X7. I have my fan speed set to the 2nd from highest setting and it works well for me. There are still some odd things that occur from time to time, like when the outside air temp is 72, the auto air temp is set to 75 and it's blowing super cold air on me. But the design on the vents to turn them off works great. Truly seals the vent closed and stops the cold air from blowing on me when I don't want it to. One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to stop the 2nd and 3rd row from blowing so hard. I manually turn the fan speed down because of the noise. I do not have passengers back there often, so I wish it would just default to the lowest fan speed setting back there.
Can't you shut off 2nd and/or 3rd row A/C?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 07:06 AM   #14
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
As stated, I believe settings are the problem some folks have. The ability to set upper level air temp is kind of unique, but even with it set to mid or warm, I don't have any issues. I never use the 3rd row which may be a plus factor. I guess it is possible some AC units don't work properly, but consider that unlikely. In my case, I haven't found a way to degrade AC performance other than the obvious of setting the wrong temperature.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 10:34 AM   #15
ddv2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

3rd row AC is a real issue. When 3rd row AC is on, the front AC much warmer than without. But biggest problem is a sync button behavior. Actually it should be 3 sync buttons, for front seats, for 2nd and 3rd rows. But even with one sync button it should honor on/off for 2nd and 3rd row and just sync all other settings. But sync button just keep 3rd row on even if 99% people dont need it. Just VERY stupid.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 10:57 AM   #16
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddv2005 View Post
3rd row AC is a real issue. When 3rd row AC is on, the front AC much warmer than without. But biggest problem is a sync button behavior. Actually it should be 3 sync buttons, for front seats, for 2nd and 3rd rows. But even with one sync button it should honor on/off for 2nd and 3rd row and just sync all other settings. But sync button just keep 3rd row on even if 99% people dont need it. Just VERY stupid.
In configurations with the climate comfort pack the third row gets it’s own compressor, anyone who thinks they need to fight meaningful heat/humidity should check that box
Appreciate 1
rjabend368.50
      08-06-2023, 11:44 AM   #17
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddv2005 View Post
Aha. You may have hit on a factor. Other than making sure they deployed when I picked up the X7, I have never had the 3rd row up. I also am not sure there aren't AC differences on the 2024's.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 01:58 PM   #18
Brinkley77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cadillac SRX

Garage List
2024   [0.00]
BMW X7  [0.00]
I have learned a lot about the BMW AC, but I still choose to buy one. I don’t have it yet, but one dealer told me the auto start/stop will not engage while max AC is on. I have not been able to test that theory. Another dealer told me it would not engage auto start-stop when it’s a certain degree outside. I will say when I test-drove one in San Antonio, Texas hell, the auto start/stop did NOT engage but I also had max AC on so I’m not sure which one is true.
Appreciate 0