BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 M60i 6 month review + surprise bonus review!

11-21-2023, 03:06 PM   #1
2001S15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 911 Targa / 24 X7 / 08 S2K

Cool X7 M60i 6 month review + surprise bonus review!

I’ve had my X7 M60i since May of this year as my daily driver. I got it to replace my old M5 Competition and a Honda Odyssey minivan. I wanted something a bit comfier from a ride perspective than my M5, with luxury interior finishes. I briefly looked at the i7 but for a variety of reasons didn’t go that way.

Here’s my 6 month thoughts on the X7:

Pros:
  • Great looks, especially inside.
  • Rich materials, front and back. Everyone is pampered. Leather looks, feels and smells great. Real sense of occasion on the interior. Seats are so comfortable.
  • The digital key is gamechanging.
  • Tech is great, apart from the lack of physical buttons. A few things could be simplified a bit (e.g. why are there Driving Assistant and Assistant Plus? Just make one that works and don’t make me select.)
  • Handling is out of this world amazing considering how massive this car is. You can just throw it into corners and it begs for more.
  • Plenty of space with the third row down.

Cons:
  • Still a bit too much “texture” in the ride, though this is my own fault as I ordered the black 22s. My wife’s X5 has 19s and it rides like a dream… somewhat at the expense of handling sharpness.
  • Trunk with the third row up is a little tight.
  • The usual complaints: lack of physical controls for common buttons like Max AC, totally pathetic A/C in what was a fairly mild norcal summer.
  • Sport buttons are hard to get to when driving.
  • OK here we go… Biggest complaint for me is the power delivery from the engine+transmission+tuning. This thing is supposed to have less than a 100hp deficit vs. my M5 (albeit weighing much more) but it feels so much slower. I don’t actually think it’s anything about the engine itself… it’s the way the throttle response is tuned and the interaction with the transmission. The throttle response seems to be programmed for a uh… relaxed response unless you have it wide open. Then the transmission drops a cog or two and jerks the whole car to life in a decidedly non-luxurious manner. Meanwhile my old M5 would respond strongly even with the default/comfort settings. This has made the X7 somewhat miserable to drive in certain settings, because it’s either too hot or too cold and can’t find the sweet spot. I have to imagine this was done for efficiency reasons, but it’s basically made the car fairly non-luxurious/unpleasant to drive at times.
  • And on the efficiency front, this thing drinks like a sailor. For my limited commute, consuming nearly a full tank per week. This is substantially worse than I was seeing in my M5 and I don't drive with a light foot. The problem is many gas stations in my area are putting $100 limits on credit card transactions at the pump. This means filling up is taking longer. It’s a pain in the ass.

Verdict: Would I get another one? Probably not. Maybe for my wife, especially if it was a PHEV or EV. Otherwise agree with reviewers that the sedate throttle tuning mean this car is best with the I6.

Bonus review:
So… with all of the above, I ended up also getting a Hyundai IONIQ5 as my real commuter and saving the X7 for when I needed to take the kids/friends/others around (i.e. weekends). The Hyundai is of course much cheaper/smaller but suits the purpose well. I don’t expect many in this forum to be interested in this perspective but I wanted to share it nonetheless…

The IONIQ5 is an astoundingly impressive car for what it is. Pros from my perspective:
  • Exterior design is amazing - first car to actually make me want to get a Hyundai. I am as surprised as anyone else.
  • Feature-for-feature, tech offerings largely comparable with my X7 - with a few additions even like digital rearview mirror and blindspot cameras, and a summon feature you can use from the keyfob without having to futz around with the app on your phone.
  • Awesome safety tech like an alert when you’re parallel parked and about to open your door into a car whizzing past your blindspot.
  • Build quality seems great (other than the paint, see below).
  • Something nonetheless pleasant about the austere vegan interior.
  • And now its main strength vs. the X7 - instantaneous, buttery smooth power delivery. OMG. It feels like it can accelerate just as fast (if not a titch faster in sport mode) as the X7 but the power is just linear and there. All the time. From a stop. At 30, 40, 50. Whenever you need it, it’s there. And the sport button is in the same place it is on my 911 - on the steering wheel, where it should be.
  • Related: Really surprisingly good handling. Low center of gravity really working in its favor.

Cons:
  • No proximity digital key! Proximity unlock though.
  • Software not quite as consistent/usable as iDrive. But not too bad.
  • Vegan interior is austere.
  • Lots of orange peel in the paint.
  • Rides like you might expect a Hyundai would on the freeway. A whole lot less planted than the BMW & much more jittery.
  • Had to buy it from a Hyundai dealer with the expected customer service.

Verdict: I love this little hatchback. When I'm done with this & the X7, I'll probably move over to an i7.

Meanwhile, I do hope is BMW pushes more electrification through its lineup including the SUVs and not just the “weird” looking ones like the iX. The IONIQ5 shows what can be done at a low price point. I imagine BMW could execute this better if it wanted - with richer interiors and better tech.

CURRENT: 2024 X7 M60i / 2024 IONIQ5 / 2017 911 Targa 4 GTS / 2008 Honda S2000
RETIRED: 2019 M5 Competition, 2018 BMW X3, 2014 Audi S6, 2011 BMW 550i, 2006 Infiniti M45, 2004 Infiniti G35C, 1993 Nissan Altima, 2001 Nissan S15 Silvia
Appreciate 1
supdes48.00
      11-21-2023, 06:11 PM   #2
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

A plug in hybrid such as the x50e in the X7 would be the dream. A few HP less than the M60, smoother off the line, fuel efficient, and effective for short commutes or long hauls. Probably would push mpg up 10-20% for those road trips which is helpful.

I still think the 40i is smoother than the M50/60. Not as powerful but the luxurious smoothness reminds you it’s a comfortable, capable land yatch - not an M3/5.

While I wait to find the right one, I’m driving a Model Y. The convenience of the phone key, simple software, user profiles (especially syncing with individual Spotify profile for wife and I) is an excellent car. Not as comfortable or quiet, but just so easy to drive around.

Good write up!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 06:14 PM   #3
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

X7 will warn if you are about to open the door into the path of a car or cyclist. I believe the accent lighting on the door will flash and a tone will sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 09:29 PM   #4
tatoweb
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsen203 View Post
A plug in hybrid such as the x50e in the X7 would be the dream. A few HP less than the M60, smoother off the line, fuel efficient, and effective for short commutes or long hauls. Probably would push mpg up 10-20% for those road trips which is helpful.

I still think the 40i is smoother than the M50/60. Not as powerful but the luxurious smoothness reminds you it’s a comfortable, capable land yatch - not an M3/5.

While I wait to find the right one, I’m driving a Model Y. The convenience of the phone key, simple software, user profiles (especially syncing with individual Spotify profile for wife and I) is an excellent car. Not as comfortable or quiet, but just so easy to drive around.

Good write up!
I LOVE my Model Y and S. We are almost closing the deal on a X7 and the Y will have to go 😭😭😭😭😭
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 09:37 PM   #5
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I traded in my X7 M60i for an X5 50e after 4 months of ownership. Not because I don't like the X7 overall, but because of some of the points you made about the drivetrain. Specifically for me was the start/stop execution with the V8 and not being able to turn it off without resorting to pressing sport mode and or turning off traction control. As you, I was driving it to work as the sole occupant. One day I really started thinking... I don't really like the way it drives, as compared to the 6cyl. I'm driving an over 500hp twin turbo V8 and 6k pound vehicle that gets 16mpg city and 20 if I'm lucky on the highway. With 22" tires that don't last long and cost over $2k for a set. It just didn't make any sense for how we were using it. I had been wanting to try an electric/hybrid type of a car. Stopped at the dealer and they gave me a favorable trade in and price on the 50e that I could live with.

So far I'm loving the electric portion of the 50e. It has more than enough power for daily driving duties. With the combined B58 and electric it is only barely slower than the m60i. After 700 miles, I've only put gas in it once. The driving position and interior is basically identical to the X7, so I am not missing much.

The main differences as compared to the x7 is the 50e even with air suspension rides a little bit firmer, is a little bit louder and of course doesn't have the same room.

I still love the X7, and if they come out with a phev version like the 50e, next vehicle I will consider another X7.

Also, I am not bashing the M60i in anyway. The engine at full song is glorious. I loved the sound of it and the effortless acceleration. It's a bad mofo. Just not what I needed for a daily driver or even for long trips.

Does your X7 have idrive 8.5? With the 50e and 8.5 once you engage the self driving, it will then say "assist ready" and you don't have to press any buttons any more. You simply let go of the steering wheel and it is active.
Appreciate 2
tatoweb69.00
supdes48.00
      11-21-2023, 09:52 PM   #6
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

They have plugin hybrids of the X5, the 7 series and even the XM. Seems the X7 is a major omission. I’d get one myself if it was an option
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 10:04 PM   #7
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
I traded in my X7 M60i for an X5 50e after 4 months of ownership. Not because I don't like the X7 overall, but because of some of the points you made about the drivetrain. Specifically for me was the start/stop execution with the V8 and not being able to turn it off without resorting to pressing sport mode and or turning off traction control. As you, I was driving it to work as the sole occupant. One day I really started thinking... I don't really like the way it drives, as compared to the 6cyl. I'm driving an over 500hp twin turbo V8 and 6k pound vehicle that gets 16mpg city and 20 if I'm lucky on the highway. With 22" tires that don't last long and cost over $2k for a set. It just didn't make any sense for how we were using it. I had been wanting to try an electric/hybrid type of a car. Stopped at the dealer and they gave me a favorable trade in and price on the 50e that I could live with.

So far I'm loving the electric portion of the 50e. It has more than enough power for daily driving duties. With the combined B58 and electric it is only barely slower than the m60i. After 700 miles, I've only put gas in it once. The driving position and interior is basically identical to the X7, so I am not missing much.

The main differences as compared to the x7 is the 50e even with air suspension rides a little bit firmer, is a little bit louder and of course doesn't have the same room.

I still love the X7, and if they come out with a phev version like the 50e, next vehicle I will consider another X7.

Also, I am not bashing the M60i in anyway. The engine at full song is glorious. I loved the sound of it and the effortless acceleration. It's a bad mofo. Just not what I needed for a daily driver or even for long trips.

Does your X7 have idrive 8.5? With the 50e and 8.5 once you engage the self driving, it will then say "assist ready" and you don't have to press any buttons any more. You simply let go of the steering wheel and it is active.
This was my exact impression of the V8. The B58 is buttery smooth and plenty of power for light duty stuff. I like the comfort and quiet ambience so I prefer the 7 over the 5. Wish it has the PHEV stuff though as that would make it gold. If they announce one before April, I’ll duly sign up to be on the wait list.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 11:05 PM   #8
2001S15
Private First Class
Rep

My wife has a X5 45e. It was the gateway to EVs for me. But the full EV of the IONIQ has been more game changing...

The 45e needs to charge daily, which means in practice she charges it at home overnight (no free charging at her work)... whereas the IONIQ can get a full week of commute charge in one 20-25 minute fast charging session. Oh and that fast charging session at Electrify America is free for the first 2 years of ownership (I know BMW also offers this on its EVs). So on Saturday mornings I cruise over to the nearby shopping mall and plug in and check my phone for a little bit then go home happily with the equivalent of a week's free gas. The iX would be the sweet spot here except... ugh. the frontend.

Also the 45e's power is "enough" to be competent but it's certainly not what I'd call fun. The IONIQ can get to 60mph probably at least a second faster than the X5 and you can feel the difference. And in the X5 if you hammer the throttle the car will just cut over to the ICE.

Thanks for letting me know about the "door" protection in the BMW. Never knew. Great feature. Will feel safer using it.

RETIRED: 2019 M5 Competition, 2018 BMW X3, 2014 Audi S6, 2011 BMW 550i, 2006 Infiniti M45, 2004 Infiniti G35C, 1993 Nissan Altima, 2001 Nissan S15 Silvia
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2023, 12:54 AM   #9
Zer00
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
This was my exact impression of the V8. The B58 is buttery smooth and plenty of power for light duty stuff. I like the comfort and quiet ambience so I prefer the 7 over the 5. Wish it has the PHEV stuff though as that would make it gold. If they announce one before April, I’ll duly sign up to be on the wait list.
An X7 PHEV I don't think would provide any $ savings as far as fill up is concerned. The X5 in EV mode is pretty inefficient (1.5m/ kwh). Considering cost of electricity(0.4cent\kwh) and gas ($5) where I live and assuming X7 will be further inefficient (say 1.3m\kwh), it'll cost about $5 in electricity to travel 16 miles. Same as cost of gas for the V8 to travel 16 miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 08:55 AM   #10
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer00 View Post
An X7 PHEV I don't think would provide any $ savings as far as fill up is concerned. The X5 in EV mode is pretty inefficient (1.5m/ kwh). Considering cost of electricity(0.4cent\kwh) and gas ($5) where I live and assuming X7 will be further inefficient (say 1.3m\kwh), it'll cost about $5 in electricity to travel 16 miles. Same as cost of gas for the V8 to travel 16 miles.
This is true. The benefit of the PHEV is preconditioning without opening garage, EV like instant torque, less heat cycles for short drives where you can use battery only mode. City driving should recoup additional energy and help with MPG. Reduced wear on motor and emissions is a win.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 09:11 AM   #11
tatoweb
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

Quote:
This is true. The benefit of the PHEV is preconditioning without opening garage, EV like instant torque, less heat cycles for short drives where you can use battery only mode. City driving should recoup additional energy and help with MPG. Reduced wear on motor and emissions is a win.
Preconditioning only works if battery has enough charge. How much is enough?, I don't know.

I was considering the 50e, but to be able to ALWAYS precondition is a must for me, so I discarded it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 09:28 AM   #12
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatoweb View Post
Preconditioning only works if battery has enough charge. How much is enough?, I don't know.

I was considering the 50e, but to be able to ALWAYS precondition is a must for me, so I discarded it.
I pre-condition the 50e almost every time I get into it, and you can do it while the car is parked inside. It warms the steering wheel and the interior fan is blowing circulating warm air. I don't know or haven't found out yet how low you can go on % battery for it to work. In the winter/cold times, simply press "battery hold" and save some battery % so you can pre-condition. It's not real complicated.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 09:31 AM   #13
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer00 View Post
You need to move. We pay 0.12 cents/kwh. And if I'm calculating right, I've driven 272 miles on electric and the charging history says 118 kwh. So if you add the 40 miles of potential range, since it's fully charged at 118 kwh usage. 272+40= 312 / 118 = 2.64 miles/kwh?

You have to remember that the car also re-captures energy going downhill and then uses that until depleted before switching to ice. so that increases the efficiency of the miles traveled while on electric.

And gas in my area is $3.29 for 87 and $3.80ish for 93.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 09:49 AM   #14
wamochi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

i'm putting in my vote for X7 PHEV as well!

you all are making me want to go check out the X5e now

once you've driven an EV for extended periods, it's hard not to be a little disappointed in anything ICE, even a beast like the V8 X7. we like having a large 3 row SUV in the garage for road trips and occasional need for extra passengers, but we've been driving EVs since 2014 and the EV quickly became the dominant get around town car and we put 17000 miles on that vs 5000 on the ICE.

charging in So Cal with EV rates is about 15c/kwh. i drive 1400 miles per month and "pay" about $80-90 (we have solar but that is what it would be without any solar). i can't fill up the X7 ONCE for that amount, and i maybe get about 13-14mpg doing kid hauling and shuttling around. we primarily work from home and are able to share the etron most days, but if the X7 had to be a solo-driver short local trip commuting car, it would not be a great fit for us either.
      11-22-2023, 09:57 AM   #15
wamochi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001S15 View Post
Thanks for letting me know about the "door" protection in the BMW. Never knew. Great feature. Will feel safer using it.
i have not experienced it myself with the X7 yet, but i have several times in the audi. on the audi, for 30 seconds after parking, it is "on" and looking for cars coming up on you when you are parallel parked on the street. if it senses something coming, not only is there a red ambient light strip illuminated, it actually prevents you from opening the door briefly. pulling the handle does nothing for that split second. not that i ever swing my door out a full 90 degrees when i get out, but a pretty good safety feature nonetheless.
      11-23-2023, 08:01 AM   #16
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

We have (wife’s) x5 40i and I bought a x7 in May. While I don’t disagree with the original post, I also think each to his/her own. For the first time in my life, my work is on way to my wife’s work. So we use one car to commute and I get to be the passenger (x5). X5 is great for that, I can imagine a x5 50e in future for something like that would also be very useful.
We use X7 for bigger trips or on weekends when I drive (even if it’s around town), generally with less traffic. Longer trips is where x7 excels imho (for us). Sit back, turn massage on and auto drive assistant, … it is m60i and I never feel impoverished for power but I’m not heavy footed on the pedal driver. The sports mode, when I want a bit of thrill, is certainly not disappointing. IAS etc was only available on x7 m60i when I bought it and it makes a huge difference in turning radius while parking.

For us x5 40i and x7 m60i combo works. Just thought I would add another perspective use case.

Have a great TG.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 12:19 PM   #17
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Appreciate both reviews!

I had a loaner Venza while my GLS was in the shop and it was definitely something that was much classier than my older Toyota days!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 02:07 PM   #18
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
[*]OK here we go… Biggest complaint for me is the power delivery from the engine+transmission+tuning. This thing is supposed to have less than a 100hp deficit vs. my M5 (albeit weighing much more) but it feels so much slower. I don’t actually think it’s anything about the engine itself… it’s the way the throttle response is tuned and the interaction with the transmission. The throttle response seems to be programmed for a uh… relaxed response unless you have it wide open. Then the transmission drops a cog or two and jerks the whole car to life in a decidedly non-luxurious manner. Meanwhile my old M5 would respond strongly even with the default/comfort settings. This has made the X7 somewhat miserable to drive in certain settings, because it’s either too hot or too cold and can’t find the sweet spot. I have to imagine this was done for efficiency reasons, but it’s basically made the car fairly non-luxurious/unpleasant to drive at times.[*]And on the efficiency front, this thing drinks like a sailor. For my limited commute, consuming nearly a full tank per week. This is substantially worse than I was seeing in my M5 and I don't drive with a light foot. The problem is many gas stations in my area are putting $100 limits on credit card transactions at the pump. This means filling up is taking longer. It’s a pain in the ass
This I agree with 100%. The tuning of the throttle response is terrible. There is such a delay that the car doesn’t move until the pedal is halfway down and doesn’t feel responsive at all. I had a Durango SRT before and I loved how it was tuned for instant torque/acceleration. It’s probably why I don’t love my X7 M50i but it is a good roadtrip SUV.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 09:44 PM   #19
Zer00
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
You need to move. We pay 0.12 cents/kwh. And if I'm calculating right, I've driven 272 miles on electric and the charging history says 118 kwh. So if you add the 40 miles of potential range, since it's fully charged at 118 kwh usage. 272+40= 312 / 118 = 2.64 miles/kwh?

You have to remember that the car also re-captures energy going downhill and then uses that until depleted before switching to ice. so that increases the efficiency of the miles traveled while on electric.

And gas in my area is $3.29 for 87 and $3.80ish for 93.
There is no way its doing 2.64 m/kwh given its size and drag coefficient. The pre facelift had a electric range of 31 miles and 17kwh usable battery so that would put it at 1.8m/kwh. So an X7 PHEV may be able to do 1.5m/kwh at best. So it would cost you ~$2 to travel 31 miles at 0.12c/kwh. A B58 hybrid I would guess would get you closer to 30mpg. So I guess little over half the cost of gas for equivalent miles based on prices of gas and electricity in your area.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 10:55 AM   #20
stavstavcc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Is the A/C really that bad? I have an X7 and now getting second thought as A/C is super important in California
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 07:33 PM   #21
2001S15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavstavcc View Post
Is the A/C really that bad? I have an X7 and now getting second thought as A/C is super important in California
For me at least it's pretty terrible. SF Bay Area. Takes about 10-15mins for the car to get to a reasonable temp in high summer on Max AC mode. Unacceptable.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 11:47 PM   #22
stavstavcc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
For me at least it's pretty terrible. SF Bay Area. Takes about 10-15mins for the car to get to a reasonable temp in high summer on Max AC mode. Unacceptable.
Wow, I guess I have to cancel my order then. I am in same region. I really like my car to be my sanctuary
Appreciate 0