BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BMW v Tesla Autodrive

01-31-2024, 12:34 PM   #1
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 Jerez Black, 13 x5

Garage List
BMW v Tesla Autodrive

Just completed a 1000+ mile road trip after buying a new to me 2020 X7 m50i with 18k miles. Could have it delivered but wanted to test road trip. Fully loaded with original MSRP of close to 120k.

Comparison car is 2018 Tesla Model 3 performance with full self driving (not the autopilot). Owned it for 5 years at over 80k miles.

First impression, the m50i is so quiet, feels really sturdy and overall luxurious. The ambient lights, seats, massagers, heated arm rests, rear entertainment system all fantastic.

The Tesla seems like a cheap car when the interiors are compared.

BUT BUT BUT … the autodrive/or drive assist on the BMW is way sub par compared to the Tesla full self driving (FSD). It doesn’t take you from regular road to the highway on its own. It only works on high way. And at times it seems to not recognize lanes and would disengage without me knowing. Also seems to correct it self constantly to say in the lanes. On lanes that have construction or crossed out lane markers it doesn’t work. It doesn’t change lanes on its own; just slows down to not run into the car a head. Doesn’t recognized posted speed limit. It pretty much stays in lane.

On my Tesla, it drives itself from anywhere onto the highway. Turns, brakes, signals etc, drives itself in town and gets on the highway. On the highway it recognizes non traditional/constructions paths, speed limits, will change lanes on its own if it approaches a slow car. Get back to the right lane all on its own. Signals and exits the highway all on its own and keeps driving in town. I could drive for hundreds of miles without having the need to intervene the drive. IT IS NOT perfect, but long high way drives are so easy with it. Again this is not Autopilot on the Tesla, this is the Full Self Driving Beta.

So hands down, Tesla wins on the software part. And with each update, it gets better overall.

I’d be interested to hear if the 2024 BMW are better now. I have a 2020 so the software might be older.

Love the X7 with all the bells and whistles; will keep both cars.

Name:  IMG_7598.jpeg
Views: 268
Size:  493.8 KB
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 05:35 PM   #2
jofbay
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

What a beautiful car. We are all so blessed to be able to own and drive something as magnificent as an X7

With that said, my 2021 X7 does lane changes for me. Also it does self steer on city streets not just highway. Also, it does something better than Tesla in Traffic Jams. No touching the steering wheel, it's just fully automated. This is a really nice feature. I think in heavy bumper to bumper highway traffic, BMW X7 wins over Tesla.

Nice review and comparison. Thanks for the information
Congrats on the new ride
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 06:05 PM   #3
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i 2014

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
I bought the X7 only for its luxury features. Over years of owning these cars, tech is something that makes a car very quickly feel outdated. Teslas are an exception to that.

I hardly use X7s adaptive cruise or lane change assist. Before buying, not having this feature was a deal breaker for me.

Between my X7 M50i, Tesla Model 3 and my 08 M3, I find M3 as the most appealing car. I work nights and even after a busy schedule, the engine sound and engaging drive keeps me alert.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 06:39 PM   #4
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Not a surprising conclusion.

I had (or currently have) them ALL.

Tesla software as well as Autopilot and FSD is way superior to BMW, including the 2024 one. There is not just on the plant better than Tesla software or even close to FSD, hands now.

I drive my BMW for different reasons. When I feel like I di not want to do much driving, I take our Tesla. For road trips, I 100% take the Tesla cause I don't want to get tired by driving much and Tesla feels safer.

I guess that's a normal conclusion when comparing a Tech company vs company like BMW focused on driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 09:52 PM   #5
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Tesla is an iPad on wheels not a real car. Yes, it is about technology but in terms of car experience there is no comparison and the BMW is way more car. Now, you have a 2020 X7 so wondering how you would compare the 2024 X7 with Highway Assistance with your Tesla. Probably not even close but better than what you have on your X7.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 08:06 AM   #6
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013M3 View Post
I’d be interested to hear if the 2024 BMW are better now. I have a 2020 so the software might be older.
The 2024 X7 now has Highway Assistant and an updated sensor/computer package to support it. It allows for hands free highway driving up to 85 mph. It's not perfect, but for long highway drives, it does a very good job 99% of the time maintaining speed/distance and staying centered in the lane. The older system tended to bounce around a bit in the lane lines, but the latest drive system does not. You can find a lot of videos demoing Highway Assistant on YouTube.

As it's hands free, in some ways it exceeds Tesla's hands-on autopilot capabilities. But again, it's only meant for highways and not local streets.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 09:49 AM   #7
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post
The 2024 X7 now has Highway Assistant and an updated sensor/computer package to support it. It allows for hands free highway driving up to 85 mph. It's not perfect, but for long highway drives, it does a very good job 99% of the time maintaining speed/distance and staying centered in the lane. The older system tended to bounce around a bit in the lane lines, but the latest drive system does not. You can find a lot of videos demoing Highway Assistant on YouTube.

As it's hands free, in some ways it exceeds Tesla's hands-on autopilot capabilities. But again, it's only meant for highways and not local streets.
I agree with everything said here
Appreciate 0