BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Infotainment - sucks

02-04-2024, 05:38 PM   #1
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 Jerez Black, 13 x5

Garage List
Infotainment - sucks

Been driving a 2013 M3 and X5 for a while now and the infotainment ins’t very good compared to other cars same age and newer cars. But I expected that for a few generation back.

Got a 2020 x50i X7 and was hoping things would have gotten better over these years. But it still sucks compared to my 2018 Tesla Model 3 that cost way less than the X7.

Maybe I’m not doing things right so here goes:
1) I can’t enter address while driving. It says I have to be parked? While driving I can only use the dial? the dial is nice but sooo figgin slow especially if you make a mistake.
Also, there were some addresses that it didn’t recognized and it simply showed nothing. Not even the general area of address entered.
On my 2018 Tesla, I can type any destination or address and it shows up and I just select while driving. Why didn’t BMW do this? Do the newer models have better interface?
The 2018 Tesla is like a google search engine. You can type locations or destinations and within a split second give you a bunch of choice without having to enter the entire address.
I realize carplay is an option but it doesn’t project on HUD. I think the apple map does? but google map way better.

2) the voice command sucks!! I tried it many times and it doesn’t get most of what I say. Is there a trick to this?
Tesla does kinda suck in this area, but not as bad.

3) map updates. On my Tesla the maps are auto updated. I think I pay like $10 a month for that and other features. Does BMW have something similar? or do I have to buy some update? on the 2013 Bimmers we have, usually just use phone (they do not have carplay).

Anyway, just comments, not expecting BMW is listening to this post. But anyone have thoughs?

Are the 2023 and newer BMWs any better? Did BMW just give up and say, ‘heck, just use your smart phone and plug into car play’?

Name:  IMG_7582.jpeg
Views: 379
Size:  73.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 05:41 PM   #2
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013M3 View Post
Been driving a 2013 M3 and X5 for a while now and the infotainment ins’t very good compared to other cars same age and newer cars. But I expected that for a few generation back.

Got a 2020 x50i X7 and was hoping things would have gotten better over these years. But it still sucks compared to my 2018 Tesla Model 3 that cost way less than the X7.

1) I can’t enter address while driving. It says I have to be parked? While driving I can only use the dial? the dial is nice but sooo figgin slow especially if you make a mistake.
Also, there were some addresses that it didn’t recognized and it simply showed nothing. Not even the general area of address entered.
On my 2018 Tesla, I can type any destination or address and it shows up and I just select while driving. Why didn’t BMW do this? Do the newer models have better interface?
The 2018 Tesla is like a google search engine. You can type locations or destinations and within a split second give you a bunch of choice without having to enter the entire address.
I realize carplay is an option but it doesn’t project on HUD. I think the apple map does? but google map way better.

2) the voice command sucks!! I tried it many times and it doesn’t get most of what I say. Is there a trick to this?

3) map updates. On my Tesla the maps are auto updated. I think I pay like $10 a month for that and other features. Does BMW have something similar? or do I have to buy some update? on the 2013 Bimmers we have, usually just use phone (they do not have carplay).

Anyway, just comments, not expecting BMW is listening to this post. But anyone have thoughs?

Are the 2023 and newer BMWs any better? Did BMW just give up and say, ‘heck, just use your smart phone and plug into car play’?

Attachment 3380463
Tesla is an IPad on wheels. An iPad will always have a better infotainment than a car.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 05:51 PM   #3
ST23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 40i

I think other cars disable also the ability to type while driving, except Tesla. I saw this in all my previous cars. I’m pretty sure it’s a safety feature.

Tesla will be better in this space since they are tech focused while BMW is not.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 06:56 PM   #4
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Garage List
For the map updates, as long as you have a BMW Conntected Drive subscription, they update automatically.
      02-04-2024, 10:34 PM   #5
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Don't get anything newer than an X7 as you can't enter addresses at all. I don't have any features disabled while driving, though might of coded them out originally.

Of course a Tesla will let you do anything anytime, they have no regard for safety. At least the X7 has a great turning radius where the ipad on wheels turns as bad as a truck.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 12:17 AM   #6
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
You can draw the letters/numbers of the address you’re looking for on the top of iDrive controller while driving. It’s not perfect, but it works in a pinch.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 06:49 AM   #7
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Haha, I've had cars back to 2013 that have disabled the navigation while driving! But regarding voice recognition, mine has been very reliable and I've only had a few issues but it's worked very well for the last 2 years I owned it.

I guess the only trick is, once you say "Hey BMW", just start talking normally, don't have pauses and speak the complete address. I noticed if you pause for too long after saying Hey Bmw then it messes up.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 09:30 AM   #8
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013M3 View Post

3) map updates. On my Tesla the maps are auto updated. I think I pay like $10 a month for that and other features. Does BMW have something similar? or do I have to buy some update? on the 2013 Bimmers we have, usually just use phone [...]
You can use your BMW app on your smartphone to send your destination address while driving!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 09:46 AM   #9
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritu_o0o View Post
You can use your BMW app on your smartphone to send your destination address while driving!!
Cause that's easier than just voicing it...and yes I already replied that I've had great luck using the voice recognition but maybe accents are issues for other.

Not trying to slam the use of the app, it's a great feature, but once again all features in the car makes it so much easier to get off the damn phone and be hands free. Now, yes with a passenger, sure hand them the phone.

Sorry, but when I almost died on my motorcycle due to a cell phone user, I get somewhat frustrated with unnecessary phone use.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 11:47 AM   #10
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Tesla is ahead of the game when it comes to software. That said, I'd put iDrive 7 far ahead of Porsche's same generation infotainment system (PCM 5) as well as Land Rover's (InControl Touch Pro Duo)
      02-05-2024, 12:14 PM   #11
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
Cause that's easier than just voicing it...and yes I already replied that I've had great luck using the voice recognition but maybe accents are issues for other.

Not trying to slam the use of the app, it's a great feature, but once again all features in the car makes it so much easier to get off the damn phone and be hands free. Now, yes with a passenger, sure hand them the phone.

Sorry, but when I almost died on my motorcycle due to a cell phone user, I get somewhat frustrated with unnecessary phone use.
I agree about using phones while driving is dangerous, so is the typing on the screen.

I have been using Tesla model S since 2017 and it can let me input test while driving and the only reason I think of is, Tesla marking their cars as autonomous and controlled completely by their screen!! Actually they shouldn’t!!
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      02-05-2024, 01:40 PM   #12
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

You need to embrace CarPlay and Google Maps and move on.

Yeah, I get the HUD is a fun toy but the reality is that it forces you into an archaic navigation system that behaves more like 2004 than 2024. And in the end it's about being sent on the right route, it's far more important than having two or three different screens telling you the same information.

HUD in and of itself is pointless today, it was designed for a window in time when in-car LCD screens were tiny. iDrive 8 screens are gigantic, iDrive 7 plenty spacious to see all the information clearly and easily. Use your HUD for speed and changing radio stations, it's good for that. Let the big screen handle the navigation.

And you get major pluses from Google Maps (or Apple or Waze if you prefer) that BMW simply cannot match because they don't have the crowdsourced information that these massive platforms have. And the biggest feature of all IMO is Google's ability to show you what happens if you choose a different route in real time, right on the screen, little speech bubble, you don't have to tap a button or take your eyes off the road.

CarPlay itself is brilliant because of the multi-window display that shows your media controls and album art at the same time as the nav, and of course there's Siri for map commands (yes, even using Google Maps or any other third-party app), Apple Music, sports scores, texts, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 03:50 PM   #13
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
The HUD is much more than a “fun toy” for many of us. It allows you to keep your eyes fully on the road to follow directions in an unfamiliar area instead of needing to repeatedly glance over at the iDrive screen.

I would also argue that the built in Nav does an excellent job with providing updated routes based on real time traffic information.

Google maps is far from infallible. It had sent so many incorrect directions to my drivers when we used it for my expedited freight business that my drivers deleted it off their my phones entirely and now we use Apple Maps (imagine that).
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      02-06-2024, 05:54 AM   #14
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledphut View Post
The HUD is much more than a “fun toy” for many of us. It allows you to keep your eyes fully on the road to follow directions in an unfamiliar area instead of needing to repeatedly glance over at the iDrive screen.

I would also argue that the built in Nav does an excellent job with providing updated routes based on real time traffic information.

Google maps is far from infallible. It had sent so many incorrect directions to my drivers when we used it for my expedited freight business that my drivers deleted it off their my phones entirely and now we use Apple Maps (imagine that).

Yeah same, the nav has been pretty flawless for us. I do compare to Google often and never really had any issues. Now, I do think Google's crowd sharing with the speed traps is better but just overall route accuracy, the BMW has been fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 07:37 AM   #15
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

Quote:
Yeah same, the nav has been pretty flawless for us. I do compare to Google often and never really had any issues. Now, I do think Google's crowd sharing with the speed traps is better but just overall route accuracy, the BMW has been fine.
Agree on both counts. We live in Chicago and are always trying to figure out best route to places as traffic is horrible. We often compare google, apple and the BMW. There usually isn’t much of a difference on the suggested routes.

On longer trips we use the bmw navigation and have Waze open as well for the speed traps and other real time alerts it offers. We’ve had the bmw nav make sudden changes and odd recommendations (ie suddenly saying to get off next exit instead of in 100 miles)- we quickly fact check it with another and find there is usually an accident or backup of some sort that it’s trying to have us avoid.
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      02-06-2024, 09:06 AM   #16
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

You should have purchased a Tesla SUV if that’s your priorities.
Didn’t you test drive the BMW before you bought it and tested some of these things out??
Then again the Tesla driving experience and build quality “sucks”.
Appreciate 1
ledphut211.00
      02-06-2024, 11:20 AM   #17
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Quote:
I agree with that. Have been using BMW navigation for fun on routes I am used to and it is spot on. Also, having the camera appearing on the screen showing where to turn is pretty awesome.
Appreciate 3
blutob2283.00
MystroX56289.50
ledphut211.00