BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Change LCI gear shifter to pre-LCI

03-16-2024, 08:39 AM   #1
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Change LCI gear shifter to pre-LCI

Has anyone researched if it would be possible to change the LCI gear shifter to pre-LCI? especially with the crystal controls pack, it looks much better having the actual shifter and not a stupid little button. Saw this on AliExpress and I wonder if it works without problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 03:41 PM   #2
jh87
Rep
Drives: x7

like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 03:57 PM   #3
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh87 View Post
like this?
Is this LCI? Mind sharing how you did it? What parts you bought and how did you go about the installation?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 07:37 PM   #4
jh87
Rep

yes, it is LCI, 2024, pictures for reference
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mattsrs624.00
      03-30-2024, 07:46 PM   #5
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yes, it is LCI, 2024, pictures for reference
Wow impressive! Thank you for all the pictures and details. Does the new shifter light up at night? How's the fit? are there any additional play or feeling of being loose when you change gears? Also, I don't see the P button on your modded picture. I assume the park button on the new shifter would not be functional?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 08:17 PM   #6
jh87
Rep

yes, it lights up. I don't really want to make it a DIY post because I have changed it back due to safety concern.
These new BMW shifters do not have a release button for reverse, therefore, you can shift from D to R directly in low speed, eg idle speed, the car will stop then go into reverse.
With the new LCI design, it is probably difficult to accidentally bump the tiny gear shifter into R. However, for big old style handle aftermarket modification like above, I am concerned it may happen.
It feels excellent though.
Appreciate 1
salfeet84309.00
      03-30-2024, 08:36 PM   #7
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yes, it lights up. I don't really want to make it a DIY post because I have changed it back due to safety concern.
These new BMW shifters do not have a release button for reverse, therefore, you can shift from D to R directly in low speed, eg idle speed, the car will stop then go into reverse.
With the new LCI design, it is probably difficult to accidentally bump the tiny gear shifter into R. However, for big old style handle aftermarket modification like above, I am concerned it may happen.
It feels excellent though.
I hear you re safety concern. We have a Mercedes EQS which has a stalk on the right side of the steering wheel and you can go from D to N at any speed if you accidentally hit it.

Perhaps the right way to do it is to replace the LCI shifter and its panel with the one from XB7 LCI but going to cost more.
Attached Images

Last edited by mattsrs; 03-30-2024 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 10:07 AM   #8
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

mattsrs, before you go for it, I thought I'd weigh in...

Maybe you can source better parts from Asia, but those installed from the factory, on the G07 LCI shown below from my 2024 LCI, even though in photo's it looks great, are garbage.

The crystal is merely clear plastic, that has the mold seam still on the shifter...feel it every time you shift, and could have easily been polished off....and, the i-drive has zero weight to it, which make it feel very cheap. The old style ceramic touch control i-drive knobs were actually worth the upgrade. This crystal version is NOT.

Shame on BMW for putting this in their flagship "7".
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mattsrs624.00
      03-31-2024, 10:28 AM   #9
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
mattsrs, before you go for it, I thought I'd weigh in...

Maybe you can source better parts from Asia, but those installed from the factory, on the G07 LCI shown below from my 2024 LCI, even though in photo's it looks great, are garbage.

The crystal is merely clear plastic, that has the mold seam still on the shifter...feel it every time you shift, and could have easily been polished off....and, the i-drive has zero weight to it, which make it feel very cheap. The old style ceramic touch control i-drive knobs were actually worth the upgrade. This crystal version is NOT.

Shame on BMW for putting this in their flagship "7".
Thank you so much for the insights! It certainly not worth the effort and $ if it feels cheap to touch. So much for "Swarovski Crystal"! I wonder if these were actually Swarovski crystals 5 years ago when it out but over the years, they changed to crystal looking plastic to increase the margin. There is no mention of Swarovski or crystal anymore on the option list, just says "hand-made, diamond-cut glass trim elements"
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 01:58 PM   #10
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Mine (2020) feels very high quality with perfect polishing and weight to it. Perhaps BMW has moved on to a different supplier?

Appreciate 1
mattsrs624.00
      03-31-2024, 09:06 PM   #11
jh87
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
I hear you re safety concern. We have a Mercedes EQS which has a stalk on the right side of the steering wheel and you can go from D to N at any speed if you accidentally hit it.

Perhaps the right way to do it is to replace the LCI shifter and its panel with the one from XB7 LCI but going to cost more.
the LCI shifter panel probably will cost in thousands. as you can see, the shifter panel seems to integrated with the whole center console. this is different than other models like x5 or x3 etc. you also probably need to program it to work, which can not be done for LCI x7.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 09:11 PM   #12
jh87
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Mine (2020) feels very high quality with perfect polishing and weight to it. Perhaps BMW has moved on to a different supplier?

does the pre-LCI shifter has a release button on the handle for reverse? I can not tell from picture.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 09:36 PM   #13
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
does the pre-LCI shifter has a release button on the handle for reverse? I can not tell from picture.
Yes. On the drivers side of the handle there is a lever lock.

Engaging selector lever position D, N, R A selector lever lock prevents the following faulty operation:
• Unintentional shifting into selector lever position R.
• Unintentional shifting from selector lever position P into another selector lever position.
Appreciate 0