BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Calling all Punks! - Favorite Bands / Favorite Stories

12-14-2018, 11:55 PM   #67
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Has to be in the top five:

Top 5 punk bands? :
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 03:45 AM   #68
The Reverend
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435i

It's unfortunate that some posters mention Me First & the Gimme Gimme's but may not know of a far superior cover band called Manic Hispanic who did old punk rocks covers by bands like X, Bad Religion and others but with some real barrio type humour.

Fortunately, if that was their only thing you'd never give them a second listen but they are a veritable super group of old punkers like Steve Soto (RIP) from the Adolescents. Give them a listen if you can find their stuff. Indecision Records in California is reissuing their 2nd album.

Also, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Keith Morris' epic band OFF!. They are incredible. Also, check out a band called Modern Terror from the Sunshine Coast of BC. Great guys.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      12-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #69
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
It's unfortunate that some posters mention Me First & the Gimme Gimme's but may not know of a far superior cover band called Manic Hispanic who did old punk rocks covers by bands like X, Bad Religion and others but with some real barrio type humour.

Fortunately, if that was their only thing you'd never give them a second listen but they are a veritable super group of old punkers like Steve Soto (RIP) from the Adolescents. Give them a listen if you can find their stuff. Indecision Records in California is reissuing their 2nd album.

Also, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Keith Morris' epic band OFF!. They are incredible. Also, check out a band called Modern Terror from the Sunshine Coast of BC. Great guys.
Great post, thank you! Agreed, OFF! is epic. Anyone who says punk is dead has simply stopped listening.

Have not heard of Manic Hispanic. Can we even say that? Do I need to show my self over to the "Hey That's Offensive!" thread in the politics section? Will poke around the old internets and see if I can dig some of their stuff up. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #70
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Ride into work this morning, was listening to Pandora and a few bands I haven't mentioned here yet I don't think.

Playlist started with Suicide Machines, moving to Goldfinger, and then some pop punk from the 90's in the form of SR-71. Also included one of the best Rancid songs "Journey to the End" and Less Than Jake's cover of Phil Collins' "Science of Selling Yourself Short".

Good stuff.
      12-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #71
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Ride into work this morning, was listening to Pandora and a few bands I haven't mentioned here yet I don't think.

Playlist started with Suicide Machines, moving to Goldfinger, and then some pop punk from the 90's in the form of SR-71. Also included one of the best Rancid songs "Journey to the End" and Less Than Jake's cover of Phil Collins' "Science of Selling Yourself Short".

Good stuff.
God, I completely forgot about SR-71 until now. People hate on the punk-pop of the 90s but damn if I don't still love me some Sum41. Punk pop from the 90s is like riding a moped. Everyone makes fun of it but deep down, yeah it's pretty entertaining, and you don't want your friend to know just how much you enjoy it.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      12-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #72
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
God, I completely forgot about SR-71 until now. People hate on the punk-pop of the 90s but damn if I don't still love me some Sum41. Punk pop from the 90s is like riding a moped. Everyone makes fun of it but deep down, yeah it's pretty entertaining, and you don't want your friend to know just how much you enjoy it.

Yup - I really enjoy the 90's pop-punk - I think the main reason is that most of it was rather fun, happy, upbeat stuff - which is nice. I don't always need lyrics that talk about how crappy everything is.

When I go snowboarding, I will frequently start my first run listening to "Fat Lip" - for some reason, it always gets me into a more aggressive attitude to tackle that first run of the day.

I also dig "Bowling for Soup" - haha.
      12-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #73
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Yup - I really enjoy the 90's pop-punk - I think the main reason is that most of it was rather fun, happy, upbeat stuff - which is nice. I don't always need lyrics that talk about how crappy everything is.

When I go snowboarding, I will frequently start my first run listening to "Fat Lip" - for some reason, it always gets me into a more aggressive attitude to tackle that first run of the day.

I also dig "Bowling for Soup" - haha.
Totally agree. Yes, the world is sh*t, I know. Sometimes I want to listen to music that makes me forget about that. And what better way than 90s punk-pop?

Do you still snowboard? I had to give it up finally and go back to skiing. Started skiing when I was 4. Switched to snowboarding when I was 20 and never looked back. I herniated my L4 in a motorcycle mishap 3 years ago and cant snowboard anymore. I'm pretty tall so I ride a 165. I really have to wind up to swing the board around. I just cant get the rotation anymore like I used too. Range of motion is limited and it just hurts like a b*tch by the end of the day. Makes the ride home off the mountain horrible. Switched back to skiing last winter. I hate it, but at least I'm still on the mountain. I just want to be carving through the trees in some fresh powder on my board soooooooo bad!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #74
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Totally agree. Yes, the world is sh*t, I know. Sometimes I want to listen to music that makes me forget about that. And what better way than 90s punk-pop?

Do you still snowboard? I had to give it up finally and go back to skiing. Started skiing when I was 4. Switched to snowboarding when I was 20 and never looked back. I herniated my L4 in a motorcycle mishap 3 years ago and cant snowboard anymore. I'm pretty tall so I ride a 165. I really have to wind up to swing the board around. I just cant get the rotation anymore like I used too. Range of motion is limited and it just hurts like a b*tch by the end of the day. Makes the ride home off the mountain horrible. Switched back to skiing last winter. I hate it, but at least I'm still on the mountain. I just want to be carving through the trees in some fresh powder on my board soooooooo bad!
Sorry about your back. Yep, still snowboarding. I never skied, though. I grew up on the beach and was on my high school surfing team. When I moved to the mountains, it was a natural progression to pick up snowboarding. I ride a 156 Burton Custom.
Attached Images

King Rudi13152.00
      12-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #75
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

I reached into my archives and found Angry Samoans "Back from Somoa" over the weekend. Killer album for those that haven't ever heard it.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      12-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #76
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Weird, I ski and snowboard and don't plan on going back to snowboarding until my (surgically reconstructed) knees call uncle on skiing. Just always felt it was lower impact and more reliant on core and larger muscles.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #77
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:

Good stuff.
Huge less than Jake fan......pretty positive "science of selling yourself short" was a band original written by the drummer

Where di you read it was a phil Collins cover?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #78
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
Huge less than Jake fan......pretty positive "science of selling yourself short" was a band original written by the drummer

Where di you read it was a phil Collins cover?
As am I - I grew up just an hour or so away from them, so used to watch them play a lot in either Gainesville or nearby in Daytona or Orlando. I looked it up, and of course you are absolutely correct! Never realized this, I don't know why I always that it was a cover. Crazy.

And since we are on the topic - my all time favorite song by them....

12-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #79
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
As am I - I grew up just an hour or so away from them, so used to watch them play a lot in either Gainesville or nearby in Daytona or Orlando. I looked it up, and of course you are absolutely correct! Never realized this, I don't know why I always that it was a cover. Crazy.

And since we are on the topic - my all time favorite song by them....

Not gonna lie.....a little part of me was ready to die if phil Collins wrote that song jahaha.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      12-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #80
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Mother in-law got me this shirt for my birthday, today.

She gets me.
Attached Images

DETRoadster11446.00
spazzz116.00
      12-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #81
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Mother in-law got me this shirt for my birthday, today.

She gets me.
NICE!! And happy birthday!
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      12-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #82
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Well, happy belated b-day!
      12-24-2018, 12:46 AM   #83
The Reverend
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435i

Quote:
Great post, thank you! Agreed, OFF! is epic. Anyone who says punk is dead has simply stopped listening.

Have not heard of Manic Hispanic. Can we even say that? Do I need to show my self over to the "Hey That's Offensive!" thread in the politics section? Will poke around the old internets and see if I can dig some of their stuff up. Thanks for the tip.
Thanks! I saw OFF! live when they only had their first two EP's out and after they finished their set, Keith said "well, we don't have any more songs for an encore so we'll just play our entire set over again!"

Their video with Jack Black is also pretty funny. Some real punk rock royalty in that band.

I think someone else mentioned it but Idles out of the UK are pretty good, not sure they qualify as punk but maybe that's what makes them punk?
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      12-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #84
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Can you really make the claim if you haven't done a prison set??

My DAD got me this for Christmas, but had to give it to me in the back room, out of mixed company
Attached Images

Last edited by UncleWede; 12-26-2018 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
kscarrol8784.50
Run Silent15127.00
      01-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #85
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thought this was cool.
Attached Images

01-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #86
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Recently, Jack-FM blurted out a prediction that Hootie and the Blowfish are set to make a major comeback in 2019
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #87
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Why are we talking about them in this thread? Want to talk about Yanni too?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #88
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Why are we talking about them in this thread? Want to talk about Yanni too?
Building reputation as Pot-Stirrer extraordinairé
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
Red Bread4462.00
DETRoadster11446.00