F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Does anyone have HR Springs or Dinan Springs on BASE (non-sportline) suspension???
proTUNING Freaks

05-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i AW MSport

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Does anyone have HR Springs or Dinan Springs on BASE (non-sportline) suspension???

Hey does anyone here have Dinan or HR Springs on a 3 series with the base suspension (non-sportline), the no-line/luxury suspension?

If so,

1) which springs?

2) how's the ride/your review?

Trying to decide which springs to lower, but not sure which to go with as most people have SportLine/MSport Suspension on the forums....

Last edited by kromix; 05-27-2014 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Revms1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Most xdrive f30's without dhp are on base suspension so check the Dinan review posting and you'll see my feedback as well as others
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revms1 View Post
Most xdrive f30's without dhp are on base suspension so check the Dinan review posting and you'll see my feedback as well as others
Oh I didn't know that, so Xdrive cars without DHP even if they are MSport are on base suspension ??
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Revms1
Lieutenant
Rep

Yup I found out the hard way as when I took delivery it was then stated as non sport suspension because it's an xdrive
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup I found out the hard way as when I took delivery it was then stated as non sport suspension because it's an xdrive

Cool didn't know, so after owning the Dinan springs for a while, worth it? U like it?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
Revms1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromix View Post
Cool didn't know, so after owning the Dinan springs for a while, worth it? U like it?
I've only had it for 2 days so far and I can say the car should've come from the factory with this suspension. The stock non dhp suspension on a xdrive is too soft in my opinion. It nose dives terribly and the body roll is just ridiculous. These Dinan springs eliminate these bad attributes on an otherwise great car. I'm very satisfied so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Quote:
I've only had it for 2 days so far and I can say the car should've come from the factory with this suspension. The stock non dhp suspension on a xdrive is too soft in my opinion. It nose dives terribly and the body roll is just ridiculous. These Dinan springs eliminate these bad attributes on an otherwise great car. I'm very satisfied so far.
Cool thanks for the 411,

Now I'm really confused, researching It seems like the X-Drive base suspension is different than the Base RWD (non-sportline) suspension... lol
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
Revms1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Cool thanks for the 411,

Now I'm really confused, researching It seems like the X-Drive base suspension is different than the Base RWD (non-sportline) suspension... lol
If I'm not mistaken, rwd sportline's and m sports all come with the sports suspension even without dhp. So if u order a no line rwd and don't opt for the sports suspension it then should be the base suspension. Even though xdrives without dhp are therefore non sports suspension it's a base suspension but tuned for the heavier weight of the xdrive.
Are you ordering a rwd or xdrive?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, rwd sportline's and m sports all come with the sports suspension even without dhp. So if u order a no line rwd and don't opt for the sports suspension it then should be the base suspension. Even though xdrives without dhp are therefore non sports suspension it's a base suspension but tuned for the heavier weight of the xdrive.
Are you ordering a rwd or xdrive?
You are right about what u said from what I read, and I have a RWD with base suspension... Maybe that's it, same suspension between both but heavier weight tune?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #10
Revms1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You are right about what u said from what I read, and I have a RWD with base suspension... Maybe that's it, same suspension between both but heavier weight tune?
Yup that's correct. If you're on the fence about choosing Dinan or H and R springs on a base suspension, I've heard a lot of people don't like the H and R's because they don't match well with the softer base struts. I decided to go with Dinan after many conversations that they were for sure using base suspensions without dhp prior to my purchasing them. Also the progressive bump stops that come with the dinans springs makes a big difference. Hope this helps making your decision as I couldn't be happier with the Dinan springs. I'm pretty much doing my entire car Dinan anyways to keep the warranty intact
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup that's correct. If you're on the fence about choosing Dinan or H and R springs on a base suspension, I've heard a lot of people don't like the H and R's because they don't match well with the softer base struts. I decided to go with Dinan after many conversations that they were for sure using base suspensions without dhp prior to my purchasing them. Also the progressive bump stops that come with the dinans springs makes a big difference. Hope this helps making your decision as I couldn't be happier with the Dinan springs. I'm pretty much doing my entire car Dinan anyways to keep the warranty intact
Wierd, according to the Dinan review thread they spoke to Jeff and finally confirmed both test cars were sportline w/ DHP and sportline without DHP so both 704 SPorts Suspension...

Either way, ur very happy with ur ride/comfort + drop right? That's what matters.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
Revms1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wierd, according to the Dinan review thread they spoke to Jeff and finally confirmed both test cars were sportline w/ DHP and sportline without DHP so both 704 SPorts Suspension...

Either way, ur very happy with ur ride/comfort + drop right? That's what matters.
I believe the original Dinan review was for rwd's so they had the sport suspension. On all xdrives their test vehicle was without dhp which is what I have and it's great. All that matters is that hopefully everyone is satisfied
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe the original Dinan review was for rwd's so they had the sport suspension. On all xdrives their test vehicle was without dhp which is what I have and it's great. All that matters is that hopefully everyone is satisfied
Cool, gonna order it, hope I have the same experience as you :P
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:57 AM   #14
ocarioca1m
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have sport suspension without the electronic dampers. I've only had the springs installed for a week. I hesitated to install them because i read some bad reviews. But it rides much nicer. Floatiness almost totally gone while maintining a confortable ride. Car sits lower without looking slammed stupid. Looked so good that I thought there wasnt a difference from stock, until I was leaving the gym the other day and there was another 3 series parked next to my car and It was sitting much lower. I never had coilovers or anything like that so I'm not an expert on suspension or anything but I can tell there has been an improvement. Haven't had the chance to test it in the highway yet. I really hated the stock suspension after I did some highway miles on it. But I like these springs so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 BMW 328i

Dinan on Base F30 non-sport non-X Drive suspension

I realize this is an old thread, but for those that are interested, and I know there are others out there besides me, I installed the Dinan Springs and Ride Quality Kit on my 2013 328i base line model yesterday. The drop leaves just under two fingers width at the top. I will post pictures once I have a chance to clean up the car.

The ride quality is noticeably stiffer. It is not a harsh ride, but you know what you are driving over. The dip, dive and body roll are all significantly and noticeably reduced when cornering and accelerating. I am trusting in the Dinan name, reputation, advertised compatibility, warranty and conversation with one of their sales representatives, that these are made to work with the suspension in the base model 328i and will improve the car and not degrade or damage it. But, time will tell. I will certainly report back with any problems I encounter.

Just as a point of interest, as far as cost of installation, I had a local shop I use install them. It was about 6 hours of labor and cost $550. I probably could have found another place to install them for less money, but I live on an island and I would have had to take an entire day off to get the work done as well as travel costs to the shop which would most likely negate the savings between the two prices.

So overall, very satisfied with the first days use.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #16
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

I would like to install Dinan springs on my sport wagon too but unfortunately Dinan does not make springs for the sport wagon.. yet...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
Koer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 2014 Sec. 50i

OP,

just a word of warning, as i stated in my other thread, lowering your base suspension (lux or no line) with springs (eibach in my case) will shorten the lifespan of your shocks by quite a bit.

mine took 10,000 km on lowering springs to fail. You start bottoming out on every bump from about 5,000 km into the timebomb.

my advice is: get reinforced shocks for lowered cars along with the springs or start with a thicker rollbar if you want better cornering. or just wait until they fail, but have some replacements ready.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #18
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

@Koer

Just curious which springs you were using and how much they lowered the vehicle. I have used springs on 2 cars prior to this (an 06 WRX and a 98.5 A4) and eventually adjustable coil overs on the A4. But neither cars shocks failed. The A4 was just a progression of improvements. I understand, and am expecting, that this will cut into the life of my suspension, but 10000 seems drastically short. In any event, I am very interested in more information on the subject.

Thanks for any information.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #19
sgp
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Quote:
Have 2013ix with Dinan springs and bump stops and experiencing issues with bottoming out over harsh bumps. Been like this from the start. Talking to Dinan and so far they are balking at any labor costs. Offering to refund my money for the springs which is less than half of the cost to install and align. Very unhappy right now. My car only has 18k miles and Dinan is indicating that it's the dampers and not the springs.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 12:23 AM   #20
Koer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 2014 Sec. 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbovill
@Koer

Just curious which springs you were using and how much they lowered the vehicle. I have used springs on 2 cars prior to this (an 06 WRX and a 98.5 A4) and eventually adjustable coil overs on the A4. But neither cars shocks failed. The A4 was just a progression of improvements. I understand, and am expecting, that this will cut into the life of my suspension, but 10000 seems drastically short. In any event, I am very interested in more information on the subject.

Thanks for any information.
hi!

i have the eibach pro kit, that lowers the car 1 inch so the i think it's around the same range as the HR sports. funny thing is only the front shocks are shot. My rear shocks are still riding relatively good.

i'm as surprised as you are. Did not expect this at all, but ultimately i was not very happy with the sloppy suspension so a full coilover replacement was well overdue.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #21
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

@Koer

Fair enough. I definitely have felt the burn of a premature failure of car parts before. If something should fail on my suspension early I will definitely be right back here putting it on the thread to try and help others no make a similar mistake.

Thanks for the response. I believe I used Eibach on my A4 before switching to coilovers, the WRX used Cobb Tuning's springs.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #22
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

@SGP

When did the bottoming (I presume you mean hitting the bump stops) out start? Immediately? After 5000 miles?
Appreciate 0