BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Purist probably won't like this idea!

06-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

Purist probably won't like this idea!

I know that BMW has decided not to make the M2 into a convertible in order to keep its' pure trackworthiness but would it really be such a bad idea if this car came in a convertible??

Would sales be too low as a Vert? Or does this totally kill the idea/purpose for which this car would be conceived for??

The reason I say Purist probably won't like it because a Vert would be heavier or definitely too heavy to push as hard around a track as would a non-Vert.

I love Verts and I wanted the M2 so badly but since BMW said they are not going to make a convertible model I'm having to consider other Brands/other convertibles from other automanufacturers.

Your thoughts are appreciated. BTW, i still love the M2.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
hpapad01
BMW CCA member and you should be too!
Rep
Drives: DYII E93 M3,540 M-Sport,911C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I View Post
I know that BMW has decided not to make the M2 into a convertible in order to keep its' pure trackworthiness but would it really be such a bad idea if this car came in a convertible??

Would sales be too low as a Vert? Or does this totally kill the idea/purpose for which this car would be conceived for??

The reason I say Purist probably won't like it because a Vert would be heavier or definitely too heavy to push as hard around a track as would a non-Vert.

I love Verts and I wanted the M2 so badly but since BMW said they are not going to make a convertible model I'm having to consider other Brands/other convertibles from other automanufacturers.

Yeah, I don't think that it makes much sense for BMW to offer an M2 Vert variant. It would definitely add unwanted weight and it is not just a simple conversion. Plus they have the M235 the 2er and the M4 verts.

On the other hand, you have many choices within the BMW brand if you want to have the 'M' goodies. You can get a low mileage E93 M3, there are plenty around or if you want to splurge there is the M4.

IMO there is no other brand that offers the performance and the fun at this price point. I'm not saying there are not better cars than the 'M', but I have not found the magic formula to justify what you get with the 'M' brand.
      06-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
Bigcatkian
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I know how you feel I came from an e93 M3 to an M2 and I do miss the experience of top down driving. I feel like an M2 vert would be an awesome car but at the same time I never liked the look of the 2 series rag top.
2010 E93 M3 (sold)
2012 Wrx Sti (sold)
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapad01 View Post
Yeah, I don't think that it makes much sense for BMW to offer an M2 Vert variant. It would definitely add unwanted weight and it is not just a simple conversion. Plus they have the M235 the 2er and the M4 verts.

On the other hand, you have many choices within the BMW brand if you want to have the 'M' goodies. You can get a low mileage E93 M3, there are plenty around or if you want to splurge there is the M4.

IMO there is no other brand that offers the performance and the fun at this price point. I'm not saying there are not better cars than the 'M', but I have not found the magic formula to justify what you get with the 'M' brand.
Yes I agree with your recommendations and comments and I thank you for your input. I have looked into M3 and M4 ownership but it was just something unique about the M2 look and size that made me want it in a Vert model that said "This is Definitely Me" if they had it.

I know to each his own when it comes to car buying but I just felt like the M2 in a vert model was suitable in every way for me, guess I'll have to look at the M3 and M4 that much harder now.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
hpapad01
Rep

Quote:
Yes I agree with your recommendations and comments and I thank you for your input. I have looked into M3 and M4 ownership but it was just something unique about the M2 look and size that made me want it in a Vert model that said "This is Definitely Me" if they had it.

I know to each his own when it comes to car buying but I just felt like the M2 in a vert model was suitable in every way for me, guess I'll have to look at the M3 and M4 that much harder now.
I agree regarding the M2 uniqueness and that's one of the reasons that am getting one, although it is more for my son than it is for me.

However, the uniqueness of the E93 M3 V8 is something that is not offered at less than 50K. There is nothing like it with the top down to listen IMO. It will place a permenant smile in your face every time you drive it especially above 5K RPM. It is really amazing how linear the RPM climes and it just pulls and pulls until you red line the stupid thing. And then you listen to those menacing sounds.

Hell, I'm going out for a drive...
      06-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Bigcatkian
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
I agree regarding the M2 uniqueness and that's one of the reasons that am getting one, although it is more for my son than it is for me.

However, the uniqueness of the E93 M3 V8 is something that is not offered at less than 50K. There is nothing like it with the top down to listen IMO. It will place a permenant smile in your face every time you drive it especially above 5K RPM. It is really amazing how linear the RPM climes and it just pulls and pulls until you red line the stupid thing. And then you listen to those menacing sounds.

This.

thinking about it is making me regret trading in my vert nothing like top down cruising with the s65 matched with test pipes and an eisenmann race climbing up to 8600 rpm but even tuned my vert felt like a fat pig in some situations
2010 E93 M3 (sold)
2012 Wrx Sti (sold)
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:

Then you don't want the M2 badly enough to snuff out your love for convertibles.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Then you don't want the M2 badly enough to snuff out your love for convertibles.

No, I just felt as if that was the best of both worlds. Having a convertible is like having two cars at the same time, you can go coupe when the weather is too unbearable or playboy when it is fair.

I still love the M2, just not bad enough to have it in a coupe only option.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 07:08 PM   #9
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I agree 100%!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

I think a convertible M2 would make more sense than an M2 GC; that being said, probably best that neither will come to fruition. Leave it as is.

I too love verts. I've had my S2000 for 11 years now. Nothing beats driving top down in beautiful spring weather. I will always have a vert in the family...

-c
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #11
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcatkian View Post
This.

thinking about it is making me regret trading in my vert nothing like top down cruising with the s65 matched with test pipes and an eisenmann race climbing up to 8600 rpm but even tuned my vert felt like a fat pig in some situations
LOL, I feel you on the fat pig, when I first got my e93 335i, it felt like a pig but after all the mods, the thing flies especially after 60 and the sound of the downpipes going under an overpass is just lovely.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #12
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Convertible? Hell they can't give me a sunroof here in the states. And I came from a Z4. I just want some air and sun.

Oh wait, I have an M2. I'm over it.
      06-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

An M2 vert would have been my ideal car too. As you say it's two cars in one.

Have you considered the 718 Boxster? if you don't need the 4 seats that is.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #14
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I don't think a convertible would be a terrible idea, BMW had done several M convertible over the years and still does. With the M2 I think they work hard to hit their price point and once they added the costs inherent with a convertible I suspect it would be right up against the M4 convert so I don't know they would get a ton of sales. If you price out a well equipped M235i convert it exceeds the cost of a loaded M2. Having said that they make a car for every niche group so perhaps we will see an M2 convert at some point down the line??
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #15
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

That clickbait title, tho!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:25 AM   #16
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

I too wanted an M2 convertible. If I'm going to fork out a lot of money on a new car I want to be able to admire the way it looks. The M235i is a pretty car but, with its narrow hips, just doesn't do it for me even in convertible form. It looks too ordinary. The M2 looks beefy, athletic and aggressive. I've therefore ordered one and hope I won't regret too much not having a soft top. My delivery is june 2017 so you can bet that BMW will announce the M2 convertible in july 2017.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #17
hpapad01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
Convertible? Hell they can't give me a sunroof here in the states. And I came from a Z4. I just want some air and sun.

Oh wait, I have an M2. I'm over it.
The issue with the sunroof is not BMW but rather BMW NA. They decided that U.S does not need a sunroof on the M2.
      06-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #18
hpapad01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I too wanted an M2 convertible. If I'm going to fork out a lot of money on a new car I want to be able to admire the way it looks. The M235i is a pretty car but, with its narrow hips, just doesn't do it for me even in convertible form. It looks too ordinary. The M2 looks beefy, athletic and aggressive. I've therefore ordered one and hope I won't regret too much not having a soft top. My delivery is june 2017 so you can bet that BMW will announce the M2 convertible in july 2017.
I wish that was true and I want to be proven 100% wrong, but there is not going to be a vert M2 so please don't hold your breath.
      06-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #19
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I don't see anything wrong with making an M2 convertible. I wouldn't buy it, but nothing wrong with it existing. The X4, 3GT, and 5GT are annoying because I find them ugly and a bit pointless. But whatever makes BMW money I guess.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #20
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
While I agree with your comments regarding the aesthetics of the M2 with its' gorgeous figure I believe I read somewhere that BMW has no plans whatsoever to make the M2 into a convertible.

I would hope to heavens that I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #21
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I don't think a convertible would be a terrible idea, BMW had done several M convertible over the years and still does. With the M2 I think they work hard to hit their price point and once they added the costs inherent with a convertible I suspect it would be right up against the M4 convert so I don't know they would get a ton of sales. If you price out a well equipped M235i convert it exceeds the cost of a loaded M2. Having said that they make a car for every niche group so perhaps we will see an M2 convert at some point down the line??

I doubt that very seriously.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #22
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
An M2 vert would have been my ideal car too. As you say it's two cars in one.

Have you considered the 718 Boxster? if you don't need the 4 seats that is.
I love Porsches too but I haven't looked into a Boxster yet, might be a little out of my price league at the moment (sorry to sound so cheap/poor, lol) but I will look into it a little more though I prefer the look of BMWs over them.
Appreciate 0