forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Disadvantages that infuriate

02-18-2024, 11:40 PM   #1
Kurt2023
Rep
Drives: BMW i7/XM

Disadvantages that infuriate

1. Wind sound at the top of the driver's door. It feels like a window is slightly open. This is especially noticeable in crosswinds. I tried to bend the window frame so that it would fit more tightly to the body. I tried adjusting the door lock to make the door fit tighter to the body. I tried to seal the junction of the glass. None of this helped.
2. Creaking of the rear shelf in the trunk on bumps. I managed to partially solve this problem. I taped with soft K-Flex tape the places where the reinforcements were made. But I didn't expect to have to do this in a $160,000 car.
3. The floor mats for rear passengers are not equipped with Velcro to secure them to the floor. That's just terrible! Has anyone solved this using a makeshift method? Or are there original solutions from BMW?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 11:54 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
None of the new BMW OEM formats have the Velcro anymore. I returned mine initially, then they ordered me another set which came the same way. They don’t move around though. I have the same mats that you do.

The noise is a known issue that probably can’t be fixed because we think it’s related to the mirror and the design of the vehicle.

If your parcel shelf is loose, it will rattle. This was a known issue on the iX which the part was swapped out by the dealer, but I haven’t had this issue on my XM.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 12:41 AM   #3
Kurt2023
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
None of the new BMW OEM formats have the Velcro anymore. I returned mine initially, then they ordered me another set which came the same way. They don’t move around though. I have the same mats that you do.

The noise is a known issue that probably can’t be fixed because we think it’s related to the mirror and the design of the vehicle.

If your parcel shelf is loose, it will rattle. This was a known issue on the iX which the part was swapped out by the dealer, but I haven’t had this issue on my XM.
Thanks for the answer. It adds a little optimism that my car was not the only one with such serious shortcomings.

My three kids can move the mats directly under the front seats. Adults may be more reserved when traveling.

Wind noise is also present on my i7, but still it is much stronger on the XM. This sucks. None of the 30 cars I've owned have had this problem.

I can put up with the shelf and its creaking by occasionally updating the soft tape.

It seems BMW treats its customers as complete idiots. I wonder how long it can last until the complete decline of this automotive giant?

Last edited by Kurt2023; 02-19-2024 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 06:50 AM   #4
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Finally started hearing the creaking in the rear from cargo cover. I didn’t hear it at first but now I do probably due to removing cover and reinserting many times it doesn’t fit as tight. I did same as you with some black electrical tape wrapped around 4 posts that hold larger cover on

Depending on how much time you want to spend on it, you can shave down the grid pattern on rear mats and stick Velcro on using 3M backing. I know crazy to DIY fix such an expensive car for something they could have fixed easily by putting Velcro on at factory.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 07:25 AM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
Finally started hearing the creaking in the rear from cargo cover. I didn’t hear it at first but now I do probably due to removing cover and reinserting many times it doesn’t fit as tight. I did same as you with some black electrical tape wrapped around 4 posts that hold larger cover on

Depending on how much time you want to spend on it, you can shave down the grid pattern on rear mats and stick Velcro on using 3M backing. I know crazy to DIY fix such an expensive car for something they could have fixed easily by putting Velcro on at factory.
The Velcro is missing from the floor mats, not the vehicle. They do come with the BMW floor liners for whatever reason, just not with the rubber floor mats. They’re heavy enough where they really don’t move around..
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2024, 10:55 AM   #6
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
The Velcro is missing from the floor mats, not the vehicle. They do come with the BMW floor liners for whatever reason, just not with the rubber floor mats. They’re heavy enough where they really don’t move around..
Good to know. My floor mats are in a box. Replaced with BMW all weather liners. I actually also used my rear aftermarket liners from the X5 and they fit fine and as an added bonus covers middle hump on floor.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 11:12 AM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
Good to know. My floor mats are in a box. Replaced with BMW all weather liners. I actually also used my rear aftermarket liners from the X5 and they fit fine and as an added bonus covers middle hump on floor.
The weather liners are much better. It’s unfortunate they don’t make them for the rear on these vehicles like they do on the five series. The rubber mats in the back never move, but I was disturbed when I first saw them because they usually come with the other side of the Velcro. I had them check five different boxes and none of them had them.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 05:44 AM   #8
Kurt2023
Rep

Quote:
The weather liners are much better. It’s unfortunate they don’t make them for the rear on these vehicles like they do on the five series. The rubber mats in the back never move, but I was disturbed when I first saw them because they usually come with the other side of the Velcro. I had them check five different boxes and none of them had them.
If you have children behind you, the mats will always be in the same position as in the picture.
Also, the seat belts will be twisted. It is almost impossible to twist the belt on the driver and passenger seats. But in the rear seats this is very easy to do. And I encountered this for the first time.
Also, the plastic in the driver and passenger door pockets is cheap and easily scratched. For the rear doors, the pocket trim is made to a three-star standard, but the pockets in the front doors are of the worst quality. I already bought alcantara and want to fix it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 06:06 AM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt2023 View Post
If you have children behind you, the mats will always be in the same position as in the picture.
Also, the seat belts will be twisted. It is almost impossible to twist the belt on the driver and passenger seats. But in the rear seats this is very easy to do. And I encountered this for the first time.
Also, the plastic in the driver and passenger door pockets is cheap and easily scratched. For the rear doors, the pocket trim is made to a three-star standard, but the pockets in the front doors are of the worst quality. I already bought alcantara and want to fix it.
Is there anything about the vehicle that you like? No offense, but all you’ve done is complain about things that you could have noticed during the test drive or inspection prior to delivery. At the end of the day, it’s still just a machine made by a bunch of parts from hundreds of suppliers on an assembly line. There’s no such thing as perfection unless you spend 3-5x more on a Rolls Royce (also owned by BMW).

I hope you enjoy it at some point and appreciate what it has to offer. It’s a great ride.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 02:53 PM   #10
Kurt2023
Rep

Quote:
Is there anything about the vehicle that you like? No offense, but all you’ve done is complain about things that you could have noticed during the test drive or inspection prior to delivery. At the end of the day, it’s still just a machine made by a bunch of parts from hundreds of suppliers on an assembly line. There’s no such thing as perfection unless you spend 3-5x more on a Rolls Royce (also owned by BMW).

I hope you enjoy it at some point and appreciate what it has to offer. It’s a great ride.
I'm not one of those people who likes negativity. It’s just that the i7 parked nearby was assembled and made on a completely different level. It seems to me that not many people who have spent 160 thousand dollars can admit their mistake in choosing a car.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kurt2023; 02-20-2024 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
Bankerbry307.00
      02-20-2024, 03:20 PM   #11
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

I admit
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 08:53 PM   #12
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

I had a 2023 760 prior to the XM and no, they are absolutely not built to the same standard. Things like the wind noise by the driver window should’ve easily been noticed during development of the car and yes, you could certainly argue that being even more expensive then a 7-series it should be built to the same standard. I wish it was but personally I still love the XM. It’s not perfect but it’s pretty damn awesome for what it is; a really sporty SUV.

I put my golf clubs in the XM for the first time this past weekend and it was so easy. The trunk space in the 7 series is so small I could barely fit them without taking the driver out.

Anyway, very different cars. If the X7 had the XM engine I would probably have leased that instead as the “best of both worlds” but that’s not an option. Having said al that, I don’t miss my 760 at all. If I didn’t have the XM I know I’d miss it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 06:19 PM   #13
theboosh
Rep
Drives: 23 XM,64MGB,64Morris,60JagMk2,

That small 1 inch gap between the top of the mirror's protrusion piece and the car is where the noise comes from at high speed & cross winds. I believe during wind tunnel tests - for aerodynamics testing - no one was INSIDE the car to hear that whistling. I am fashioning a black rubber piece that can slip over that open plastic edge point to extend nearly to the car. Let you know if it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 11:41 AM   #14
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt2023 View Post
Thanks for the answer. It adds a little optimism that my car was not the only one with such serious shortcomings.

My three kids can move the mats directly under the front seats. Adults may be more reserved when traveling.

Wind noise is also present on my i7, but still it is much stronger on the XM. This sucks. None of the 30 cars I've owned have had this problem.

I can put up with the shelf and its creaking by occasionally updating the soft tape.

It seems BMW treats its customers as complete idiots. I wonder how long it can last until the complete decline of this automotive giant?
There is an actual BMW TSB for the 7 Series. Problem fixed, but you need to make a Service appt.
Appreciate 0