BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Sensafin vs leather

10-12-2022, 01:22 AM   #1
JayM40i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW x7 40i

Sensafin vs leather

Anyone have experience with the sensafin vs leather? Found an x7 with decent options except no leather.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 04:44 AM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I would avoid as it feels way out of place like paper cups and plastic flatware at a 5 star restaurant.

Unless you are a hard core vegan and have some moral reason to not embrace the circle of life there is no place for plastic leather in a 7 series. I found it horrifically cheap looking on a demo X5 I got as a service loaner. Honestly it felt like it should be a price point option on a entry level X1 and nothing higher in the lineup.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-12-2022 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 3
      10-12-2022, 06:53 AM   #3
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

I usually agree with MystroX5 on many topics. But I can’t on this one.

I have synthetic leather in my current X5. It’s 3 years old has worn very well. No cracks, scuff marks etc what so ever.

I saw and touched the sensafin on a new X5 that came in before placing my order for the X7.. I also like the diamond pattern better on the sensafin. I can’t see the extra money being spent for a leather option. Though I did spend the extra money on the led sky lounge and massaging seats.. so go figure. It’s all in what you want.

Unless you’re ordering an M60i… leather is standard on it. There is not even an option to get sensafin.

I had a 2019 LX570 before my X5. It had some of the softest leather I have ever felt. Down side is that you can drag your fingernail across it and scratch it. So care is needed when full leather is involved.

Save your money for an additional package etc. go to the dealer and put your hands on both first before ordering.

Just my 2 cents anyways.. now you have a quarter.. 🙂
Appreciate 5
Jakkk6.00
JayM40i59.00
EvanX10.50
GuyOh1067.00
Vnoxdev39.50
      10-12-2022, 07:02 AM   #4
black_F10M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

We just took delivery of an LCI xdrive 40i with Sensafin and have zero regrets. The primary reason is that my wife loved the Silverstone color and it is not available in the Merino leather options. It looks, feels and smells like leather. Does not look cheap and I agree with Ace I like the design as it is something new and different over the usual Merino leather design. No vegans over here!

IND cosmetic | M Performance , RKP , 3D Design aero | Eisenmann Race exhaust | AMS catted downpipes | MSR intake | CSF charge coolers | DME Stage 2 tune | KW v3 coilovers | BBS FI | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Appreciate 1
EvanX10.50
      10-12-2022, 07:55 AM   #5
Jakkk
Rep
Drives: 2021 Ford f150, 2023 BMW X7

I do not regret choosing Sensafin. My wife came from an Audi and although there is a big difference in the 2 vehicles, there is no noticeable difference between Sensafin and Audi leather. She had no clue, I only recently mentioned it was not leather. I do realize there is a huge difference in quality leathers, but after weighing my options and living with the Sensafin for several weeks, I have no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 02:02 PM   #6
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I think this topic has been discussed before. The new sensafin is a MAJOR improvement over the previous sensetac. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and real leather. It's very comfortable, looks great, and is a great option if you're trying to save money.

That being said, I psychologically had an issue with optioning a 6 figure car with fake leather So I went with full merino leather on my build and am very glad I did.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
PNWM3539.50
NGT25679.00
      10-12-2022, 03:37 PM   #7
Sensibletom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_F10M5 View Post
We just took delivery of an LCI xdrive 40i with Sensafin and have zero regrets. The primary reason is that my wife loved the Silverstone color and it is not available in the Merino leather options. It looks, feels and smells like leather. Does not look cheap and I agree with Ace I like the design as it is something new and different over the usual Merino leather design. No vegans over here!
How do you like the silverstone? My salesman talked me out of it saying it is too white and it will stain very easily. What do you think? I think it looks fantastic online.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 03:48 PM   #8
black_F10M5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensibletom View Post
Quote:
How do you like the silverstone? My salesman talked me out of it saying it is too white and it will stain very easily. What do you think? I think it looks fantastic online.
Honestly I have always gone with black interiors and have never really been a fan of lighter colors. I especially do not like pure white or ivory color interiors. But my wife was in love with light gray and I have to say she was right. It is definitely light but has just enough silvery gray for my liking. I really love the way it pairs up with the matte dark grayish poplar wood trim.

Including pics but I would say they look grayer in person compared to how they appear here
Attached Images

IND cosmetic | M Performance , RKP , 3D Design aero | Eisenmann Race exhaust | AMS catted downpipes | MSR intake | CSF charge coolers | DME Stage 2 tune | KW v3 coilovers | BBS FI | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Appreciate 2
JayM40i59.00
      10-12-2022, 05:21 PM   #9
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

You are going to get all kinds of different answers.

The summary is:
- Is it good: yes
- Is it as good as real leather: No, Merino leather remains the best quality you can get
- Should you get it? No if budget is not an issue of if you want the best seats; but Yes if budget is an issue “or if you only want the silverstone color” as black_F10M5 said :

Last edited by BMW5and7; 10-12-2022 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
JayM40i59.00
      10-12-2022, 06:46 PM   #10
black_F10M5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
You are going to get all kinds of different answers.

The summary is:
- Is it good: yes
- Is it as good as real leather: No, Merino leather remains the best quality you can get
- Should you get it? No if budget is not an issue of if you want the best seats; but Yes if budget is an issue.
I would say one other option for "Should you get it?" Yes if you want Silverstone color interior. Not everything is about budget.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 09:54 PM   #11
BMWFanBoi
Private First Class
Rep

Sensafin vs leather

Happy wife = happy life! At the end of the day, get what makes you and the family happy!
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2022, 11:03 PM   #12
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

I personally think they're going to be a dirt magnet. I've had several gray colored seats and while they're better than beige or white they still attract and show dirt more than darker colors. Again, just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 11:34 PM   #13
Sensibletom
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly I have always gone with black interiors and have never really been a fan of lighter colors. I especially do not like pure white or ivory color interiors. But my wife was in love with light gray and I have to say she was right. It is definitely light but has just enough silvery gray for my liking. I really love the way it pairs up with the matte dark grayish poplar wood trim.

Including pics but I would say they look grayer in person compared to how they appear here
That looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing. Would you be concerned about getting it dirty or long term staining from your clothes?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 11:14 AM   #14
black_F10M5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanBoi View Post
Happy wife = happy life! At the end of the day, get what makes you and the family happy!
Exactly right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I personally think they're going to be a dirt magnet. I've had several gray colored seats and while they're better than beige or white they still attract and show dirt more than darker colors. Again, just my opinion.
Quote:
That looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing. Would you be concerned about getting it dirty or long term staining from your clothes?
Yes I definitely think these will attract more dirt, but we are a pretty clean family (kids are older) and I routinely wipe down the interior of our vehicles. I still do prefer black for this reason, but guess we will see how this one goes! I have to admit the interior contrast between the gray and black trim panels is really nice and a fresh look compared to the all black I am used to.

As said many time, everyone will have their own reasons for picking different materials and colors. At the end of the day as long as you are happy with your choice, that is all that matters!

One thing is for sure, the interior of these X7's are absolutely stunning. It would be virtually impossible to make a bad choice.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 03:08 PM   #15
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
I’ve had the ivory/navy individual leather for 3.5 years, and it has no stains or discoloring. They’re much more resistant than most people think. Just wipe it down and it’s all good.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 08:53 AM   #16
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

Digging up this old thread for current comments from 40i buyers who have sensafin. Do you still like it? If you had a chance to re-order, would you get leather?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 12:24 PM   #17
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
Digging up this old thread for current comments from 40i buyers who have sensafin. Do you still like it? If you had a chance to re-order, would you get leather?
I would absolutely get it again. It’s been fine no cracks or folds etc. Doesn’t scratch and feels fine. I still stand my my comments above under MystroX5
Appreciate 1
TechCTU784.50
      02-10-2023, 03:55 PM   #18
X7nheaven
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW x7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
We actually did reorder Sensafin as BMW is buying back our first 2023. We love the feel and comfort and with 5k on the odo it still looks, feels and smells like new. Budget wasn’t a consideration for us and we spent a lot of time sitting in other cars with merino and it did not feel better and more comfortable to us. Now since we have been in so many loaner cars due to our lemon, I’ve driven plenty of cars with sensatec and their is no comparison. Sensatec feels like plastic sandpaper. I would never own a car with that but sensafin is in a league of its own. Test it out. No one should really care what the material is as long as it’s comfortable and for all those people that think it gets super hot in the summer, just not true.
Appreciate 4
      02-13-2023, 02:08 PM   #19
jeep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,18 M4,19 530e,08 e70

Sensafin is great, I have Merino on my M4 and Napa on my 530e and X5, Merino is very nice and soft but catches a lot of scratches and will probably show more wear. The Napa leather is wearing well but is definitely not as luxurious. Sensafin sits somewhere in between a bit more textured than Merino, so a tad bit less luxurious, but is as soft as Merino without the negatives of Merino.
Appreciate 4
      05-17-2023, 07:33 PM   #20
cobus.grobler
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M Sport 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X7  [0.00]
Sensafin v Merino

Hi everyone, what would you say are the negatives of Merino compared to Sensafin? I've had Merino in my X7 which is about 18 months old, and I'm becoming a bit suspicious over how it might look in another two years. It seems to pick up a sheen much more quickly than the Dakota I had in my previous F15 X7. Thanks in advance for any insights.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 08:42 PM   #21
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Some say if your skin comes in contact leather is more supple but I have never seen the advantage and I always get Sensafin or equivalent when available which I believe to be more durable. This is probably a "to each their own" topic though.

Last edited by rjabend; 05-18-2023 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 12:28 PM   #22
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

I was going to order a 2023 X7 with full leather but when I went to the dealer they had no more allocations for 24 as the 24 was out. However, way more expensive. Long story short, my SA called a few days later that someone had ordered a 23 and decided not to take it. It checked every single box of options I wanted but it had Sensafin instead of leather. He offered me a great deal on that car plus the savings in getting a lower MSRP on the 23 vs 24 so I bought it. Coming from a Mercedes with MBTec seats I was a bit concerned about Sensafin but I can say it is simply amazing. It looks fantastic and I see it aging better than leather. I don’t regret a bit getting it.
Appreciate 0