BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Tint Recommendations (TN)

07-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #1
G39x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

Tint Recommendations (TN)

I am about to receive my X7 and wanted to ask you guys about tints.

I was looking at llumar pinnacle vs stratos and couldn't decide. I also saw the "air" version as well. I really want heat rejection without an orange peel effect or wavy effect. I really want the front windows to match the rears if possible.

I am in TN, so the legal limit is 35% everywhere and 70% windshield. No limit on AS1 line.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

I got pinnacle on my X7. 50% on front, 35% on rears and sunroofs, and Air 80 on windshield.

I didn't want to go any darker on the front because 1) it's illegal to have any tint on front windows/windshield where I am, 2) it makes it hard to see out at night.

I don't see any orange peel or wavy effect, and it does a good job blocking heat.

I also struggled between Pinnacle vs Stratos for a long time, but seeing as Stratos was 2x the price for a small gain in heat rejection, I decided to go with pinnacle like all my previous vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
G39x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
I got pinnacle on my X7. 50% on front, 35% on rears and sunroofs, and Air 80 on windshield.

I didn't want to go any darker on the front because 1) it's illegal to have any tint on front windows/windshield where I am, 2) it makes it hard to see out at night.

I don't see any orange peel or wavy effect, and it does a good job blocking heat.

I also struggled between Pinnacle vs Stratos for a long time, but seeing as Stratos was 2x the price for a small gain in heat rejection, I decided to go with pinnacle like all my previous vehicles.
I am looking at a similar setup as yours, however I have a 35% limit on the rear windows, but based on some members here, it looks like it is 20% already? So that would effectively make a 35% tint look like a 7%.

I was thinking of doing air 80 on the windshield and the back windows. and doing pinnacle on the front two windows.

Also, do you have the LED roof on yours? I have heard that darker tints makes the LED's really dull and the effect is gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G39x View Post
I am looking at a similar setup as yours, however I have a 35% limit on the rear windows, but based on some members here, it looks like it is 20% already? So that would effectively make a 35% tint look like a 7%.

I was thinking of doing air 80 on the windshield and the back windows. and doing pinnacle on the front two windows.

Also, do you have the LED roof on yours? I have heard that darker tints makes the LED's really dull and the effect is gone.
Yes I do have LED roof. That's why I went with 35% rather than something darker. I had the tint shop test the following 50, 35, 15, 5 in a completely dark room.
15 and 5 would basically render the LED's completely invisible. 35% would allow most of the LED lights to show. It's slightly dim towards the center of the roof but otherwise it was acceptable for me.

Yes, 35% on the back makes it effectively about 7%. I had the back hatch window tinted at 35% as well. Gives good privacy for the 2nd row passengers (especially with the sun shades up) and cargo behind the 2nd row.

Did 80% air on windshield. Wanted 90% but the tinter I used no longer carries 90% air. I didn't want the front door windows or windshield too dark. My vision isn't the greatest at night.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #5
twinrink
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Yes I do have LED roof. That's why I went with 35% rather than something darker. I had the tint shop test the following 50, 35, 15, 5 in a completely dark room.
15 and 5 would basically render the LED's completely invisible. 35% would allow most of the LED lights to show. It's slightly dim towards the center of the roof but otherwise it was acceptable for me.

Yes, 35% on the back makes it effectively about 7%. I had the back hatch window tinted at 35% as well. Gives good privacy for the 2nd row passengers (especially with the sun shades up) and cargo behind the 2nd row.

Did 80% air on windshield. Wanted 90% but the tinter I used no longer carries 90% air. I didn't want the front door windows or windshield too dark. My vision isn't the greatest at night.
Does your windshield have clear view thru or you are able to tell you have film on?
I have mine done (xpel) and I was forced to take it off because was wavy
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #6
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrink View Post
Does your windshield have clear view thru or you are able to tell you have film on?
I have mine done (xpel) and I was forced to take it off because was wavy
Clear view 99.9% of the time. When the sun is shining at it from a certain angle, it will look like there are pitting on the glass (what happens on snowy states as the sand gets blasted repeatedly into the windshield).
But that's only when looking at the passenger side from the drivers seat. Looking straight from driver seat it is always clear.
Appreciate 0