E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > How to replace damaged USB / AUX Hub?

03-31-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

How to replace damaged USB / AUX Hub?

Hey, can anyone explain how do I remove the USB / AUX hub inside the centre console on my LCI E92?

Looks like its flush fitting and should lift out, but how? There's nowhere to prod or prize it up and out...?

Any help would be appreciated..thx

The USB port is broken, so I simply need to lift out existing hub and replace with a new unit... but how the hell does it come out???

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD
Hey, can anyone explain how do I remove the USB / AUX hub inside the centre console on my LCI E92?

Looks like its flush fitting and should lift out, but how? There's nowhere to prod or prize it up and out...?

Any help would be appreciated..thx

The USB port is broken, so I simply need to lift out existing hub and replace with a new unit... but how the hell does it come out???

It's a bitch. You need to actually take off the entire center console housing and the air vent in the rear. Unless you have very small hands. Also, it's just clipped in and sitting on just a small plastic ledge. My advice would be when you replace it, you need to put something in there to hold it firm. Mine pushed down. Was not fun to fix. Oh and also, make sure you order the right part. There are like 5 different connectors apparently for that module. Hope this helps..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
QLD
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the reply... another person reported the same thing... I was hoping I could just PULL it out given that it is only held in by two side clips.

Another member simply said they pushed it out with a finger from underneath... so wouldn't pulling it from the top achieve the same thing... or am I missing something?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...28&postcount=5

Thanks..

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
wizzie88
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335xi

I just went through this whole process tonight with my 2008 335.

The inside tab on my USB port was broken off and not working. The new piece was $50 from the dealership. I have the USB and aux port in one piece in the armrest. To remove the old broken piece I simply put a short screw into the aux end, and used a big pair of vice grips and with a little muscle and slight wiggling I popped the old broken piece out. I placed a clip on the old cables so they wouldn't fall into the glove box, re-attached the cables and was listening to music once again. Overall I saved $130 for about 30mins work. Easy enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
QLD
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzie88 View Post
To remove the old broken piece I simply put a short screw into the aux end, and used a big pair of vice grips and with a little muscle and slight wiggling I popped the old broken piece out.
Thats exactly what I was considering doing after I took a closer inspection today. There is not really anywhere to 'hook' onto in the USB port... but that AUX hole was screaming 'screw me'.... I thought drive a tight screw in there and prize it out by pulling firm and UP.

And you have just done exactly that... I know it sounds lame... but I wish you had taken a couple of pics of you doing it, would be good for all future 'scared folks' like me...

Did it take a heap of 'pull' or was it relatively easy?

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
wizzie88
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335xi

I wish I had taken a few pics of the process, but it was a last minute project.

I did have to pull firmly, and make sure not move it too much. I didn't want to break the inside of the arm rest. But it did work.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 03:26 PM   #7
Dante007
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 323i

Install USB AUX BMW 2010 323i

for anyone looking for picture tutorial.
as illustrated by picture #1: I used a small pair of pliers and pulled it firmly upwards. the aux and usb compartment came out with ease.
Picture # 2 disconnected and connected the cables to the replacement compartment
Picture # 3 gently slide the compartment inside the slot
Picture # 4, admire your achievement
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sam911616.00
      05-15-2024, 09:57 PM   #8
sam9116
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: ​

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante007 View Post
for anyone looking for picture tutorial.
as illustrated by picture #1: I used a small pair of pliers and pulled it firmly upwards. the aux and usb compartment came out with ease.
Picture # 2 disconnected and connected the cables to the replacement compartment
Picture # 3 gently slide the compartment inside the slot
Picture # 4, admire your achievement
Yo, that's actually smart, if the one you're pulling out is damaged, might as well use a plier on it
Appreciate 0