BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum New X7 Build - no touchscreen?!

11-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #199
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 x40i

Yes.

But if there is other cars out there with a touchscreen, why would anyone accept a touchless one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
This doesn’t mean that every build going forward will have it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 04:25 PM   #200
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulu View Post
Yes.

But if there is other cars out there with a touchscreen, why would anyone accept a touchless one?

Quote:
Easy, there are several "less informed" consumers out there. And as was mentioned earlier in this thread, given the COVID crazy car market right now, there are still many consumers who may know about this, but won't care…

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #201
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I guess most will be "less informed".

but that's just my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Easy, there are several "less informed" consumers out there. And as was mentioned earlier in this thread, given the COVID crazy car market right now, there are still many consumers who may know about this, but won't care…
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #202
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Yes.

Why would you accept any order right now? The touchscreen is not the only thing that’s been removed.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 04:56 PM   #203
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

that's the only thing being removed after I placed my order.

Am I clear enough?

Quote:
Why would you accept any order right now? The touchscreen is not the only thing that’s been removed.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #204
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
that's the only thing being removed after I placed my order.

Am I clear enough?
As long as it makes you happy. 10-4 good buddy.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #205
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

Quote:
I get your point. The order I placed for the M50i is exactly how I would have ordered it two years ago. The only thing that has been removed that I give a rat's about is the wireless charging. But it never has worked well on my 5 series. So basically I'm getting exactly what I wanted. That's why I'll accept my order.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #206
liroyan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
yes you're correct. it's impossible to prove "every build"... the fact that there are so many datapoints that have touchscreen, is alarming/frustrating enough.
I'll probably cancel my order and ask for a new identical build.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 07:58 PM   #207
NLRMS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7 Alpina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurama81 View Post
I’m in central FL. I asked the genius if the car is delivered via ship (to Jax) or just truck but they had no idea. I’m not expecting to take possession before thanksgiving.
The status on mine was updated this morning showing it left the factory and now just updated again saying it arrived at the dealership. Will call my CA tomorrow to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 04:24 AM   #208
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by liroyan View Post
yes you're correct. it's impossible to prove "every build"... the fact that there are so many datapoints that have touchscreen, is alarming/frustrating enough.
that's what I'd do - seems like the shortage is now over
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 07:47 AM   #209
tlove1389
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by liroyan View Post
that's what I'd do - seems like the shortage is now over
So is it really over or is this just a rumor. Can someone confirm that they are being told that touchscreens are now in stock and being installed? This seems nuts that BMW would do that. Although I hope it is true as I will re order as well. Mine just got to the dealership and they are telling me that all future vehicles will not have touchscreen for a long time. If that is not true then this is BS. I'm in orlando and I'm starting to wonder if my dealer is being truthful. What a mess. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #210
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlove1389 View Post
So is it really over or is this just a rumor. Can someone confirm that they are being told that touchscreens are now in stock and being installed? This seems nuts that BMW would do that. Although I hope it is true as I will re order as well. Mine just got to the dealership and they are telling me that all future vehicles will not have touchscreen for a long time. If that is not true then this is BS. I'm in orlando and I'm starting to wonder if my dealer is being truthful. What a mess. Ugh.
No one knows if it is over, not even BMW most likely. I can tell you that several X7's and X5's have been produced in the last week with touchscreens. Beyond that, it's an unknown.

My gut says BMW would not have gone to the trouble of modifying their code for a one-month disruption in their touchscreen availability.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18198.00
      11-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #211
Parmus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich5741 View Post
FYI yours may have Wi-Fi, apparently some of the 22’s were shipped with connected drive apps that were out of date. See this post https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post28167537
My ‘22 has WiFi hotspot. No HK or wireless charging. Delivered September. Bought as an in transit vehicle not presold.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #212
tlove1389
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL View Post
Quote:
No one knows if it is over, not even BMW most likely. I can tell you that several X7's and X5's have been produced in the last week with touchscreens. Beyond that, it's an unknown.

My gut says BMW would not have gone to the trouble of modifying their code for a one-month disruption in their touchscreen availability.
We just went to dealer in orlando and looked at our car. Decided to re order. They didn't even know that touch screens were back. They looked at some builds and were like, Wow, people are gonna be pissed. But they signed that piece of paper stating that they knew this wasn't what they ordered. My salesman was great saying look I wouldn't take delivery if you can wait. I'll sell this car today so I'm not worried about it. Had I not been doing my research there is no way I would have known they were back and I would have taken delivery of that car and been really mad. Look I can deal without a touchscreen if all other cars were in the same boat, but not just bad luck. Many people may not care about resale but for me I do. This is my first BMW and I want it done right. I worked hard to own a car like this and should be treated well. Good luck to everyone out there and I will be praying everyday that my car will have everything I ordered. If not, maybe it's not in the cards for me to own a BMW.
Appreciate 3
hulu106.00
dmanb2b2131.00
Wild Blue3683.50
      11-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #213
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I will suggest you to call other dealers, maybe dealers of SC( they are in the state of BMW factory and having X5/X7 coming with the touchscreen).

Ask that you want to BUY a new car, and check with them if the touchscreen is there.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #214
sjsnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05)

Quote:
We just went to dealer in orlando and looked at our car. Decided to re order. They didn't even know that touch screens were back. They looked at some builds and were like, Wow, people are gonna be pissed. But they signed that piece of paper stating that they knew this wasn't what they ordered. My salesman was great saying look I wouldn't take delivery if you can wait. I'll sell this car today so I'm not worried about it. Had I not been doing my research there is no way I would have known they were back and I would have taken delivery of that car and been really mad. Look I can deal without a touchscreen if all other cars were in the same boat, but not just bad luck. Many people may not care about resale but for me I do. This is my first BMW and I want it done right. I worked hard to own a car like this and should be treated well. Good luck to everyone out there and I will be praying everyday that my car will have everything I ordered. If not, maybe it's not in the cards for me to own a BMW.
Is your dealer honoring the $ on the reorder or are they requiring you start the negotiations from scratch? My dealer here in NY is basically saying I get to start from scratch. Such a terrible experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 01:15 PM   #215
tlove1389
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsnyc View Post
Quote:
Is your dealer honoring the $ on the reorder or are they requiring you start the negotiations from scratch? My dealer here in NY is basically saying I get to start from scratch. Such a terrible experience.
I'm paying the exact same. Which for me was/is MSRP. What did you pay?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #216
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL View Post

That's true, however way before any of the touchscreen business happened, well-informed insider ynguldyn had posted:
Another genius "option": the new dashboard will be available with the touch screen function disabled. Will be seen first in the 2023 G42.
So it could very well be that BMW was already working on a way to disable the touchscreen (for kids, passengers, etc) and this was simply a branch of that code.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #217
FutrBMWOwner
Rep

Quote:
My sentiments exactly. I definitely would've waited or opted for a fully loaded XC90 that was my 2nd choice. Luckily I found the x7 I wanted. The thoughts of a 4 cylinder was giving me nightmares.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 03:15 PM   #218
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

So is it really over or is this just a rumor. Can someone confirm that they are being told that touchscreens are now in stock and being installed? This seems nuts that BMW would do that.
Here's a few lightly edited posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnutt19 View Post

I spoke with BMW NA and my new dealer today and both confirmed that touch screens are back. It was literally a two week period they were removed if not less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsrwnab View Post

... My dealer is telling me it will have touchscreen, tow, and backup assist..... my build week is 12/50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Greg View Post

Service finished prepping my X6 and CA was able to get into the car this morning. He confirmed that the touchscreen is in fact installed and working . It is the first X5/X6 he has seen in a few weeks that actually has the touch.

Thinking those of you who mentioned that this might be a 2 or 3 week blip are probably right.
And, from a dealer on Nov 16th:
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
FWIW, I'm seeing weird things with the X5s. I've checked ones in production (we only have a few) and they are not showing the touchscreen deletion at any stage in production. I checked a 4 series GC and it's in 150 and shows the deletion.

Checked one that was finished on 11/13 and it does not have the deletion and one that does, one completed on 11/14 and has the deletion, 11/11 has the deletion
Appreciate 1
hulu106.00
      11-19-2021, 04:18 PM   #219
crwjrw
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan

I was just at the dealer today attempting to order a M50i and was informed that they have no way of knowing whether they will come with the touch screen or not. They had one 22 on the lot that they just got in and the touch screen was deleted. Decided its not worth paying MSRP on something that has (IMHO) missing pieces. Crazy they can't retrofit or just let us choose to delay the builds until they get the parts in.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 05:19 PM   #220
FutrBMWOwner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwjrw View Post
Crazy they can't retrofit or just let us choose to delay the builds until they get the parts in.
Fully agree...no car manufacturer is going to stop production. These cars are getting built if they have the parts for it to be operational. I just don't understand why you mess over your hardcore fans (those who would go place an order and wait for a car) with these types of builds. Most of us would gladly wait for the car we want, and these "lesser" models would easily sell to the average high end car buyer in today's market
Appreciate 0