BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Tall Driver Question

10-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
StreetCredShifter
Rep
Drives: N/A

Tall Driver Question

I am thinking about ordering a Model 2 Competition without a moonroof, but I have a concern. I have seen the video reviews by Throttle House, Autogefuhl, and Joe Achilles. They all mention the seat height and the last two talked about the lack of headroom for tall drivers.

I am 6'6". I used to own a M240i that I had no problem sitting comfortably in, but that does not come with the M4 sport seats, I had no problem as well in a F80 M3. I never sat in a M4. I currently drive a 135is as my daily, which is very comfortable even with a moonroof. Joe Achilles mentions that the M2 Competition sits high because there is a spring mechanism under the seat to push the back forward to allow passengers to get into the back. It seems from pictures that Euro models have manual adjustments, whereas some of the USA cars are all electric with memory settings.

I am in the USA, so I would like to know if any folks in the USA who have taken delivery can comment on the seats (height and headroom). Is it tight when they drive? Any tall drivers?

I am off to my local dealer now. He has one in stock that I can sit in and test the height. I cannot drive it given that it has close to zero miles on it. For a vary tall driver, just sitting in the car once is not enough. Drive time is the real test for comfort. Please let me know what you think.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

I am 6'5". You are good to go.

I'll report back in a few weeks when I get in with my helmet (It's shipping back from ED at the moment).

Edit: I clocked 1173 miles through the alps at good clip. Never once did headroom cross my mind. Tall torso and long neck.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
StreetCredShifter
Rep

Thanks Proctor750!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep

No problem.

Now we can go back to being the first to know when it rains, reaching things for people, hitting our head and asking people if they play miniature golf when they ask if we play basketball.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      10-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Did anyone verify the claims that the Comp (with sport seats) has more headroom than the original M2.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I'm 6'1 and I just drove 920 miles across Europe in my M2 including the Nurburgring. Love the M2c and enough room.

The only odd thing I cant see the ODO display, I have to lean forward to see it. Not a big deal.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Did anyone verify the claims that the Comp (with sport seats) has more headroom than the original M2.
It has more room than the original M2 I sat in at the dealer a month or two ago but it had a sunroof so not apples to apples.

I did fit in that car as well (you could fax something between my head and the headliner) but a helmet would definitely cause a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I'm 6'1 and I just drove 920 miles across Europe in my M2 including the Nurburgring. Love the M2c and enough room.

The only odd thing I cant see the ODO display, I have to lean forward to see it. Not a big deal.
Good catch I almost forgot I had the same issue. I like the steering wheel close and up high which blocked the lower portion of the cluster.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetCredShifter View Post
I am thinking about ordering a Model 2 Competition without a moonroof, but I have a concern. I have seen the video reviews by Throttle House, Autogefuhl, and Joe Achilles. They all mention the seat height and the last two talked about the lack of headroom for tall drivers.

I am 6'6". I used to own a M240i that I had no problem sitting comfortably in, but that does not come with the M4 sport seats, I had no problem as well in a F80 M3. I never sat in a M4. I currently drive a 135is as my daily, which is very comfortable even with a moonroof. Joe Achilles mentions that the M2 Competition sits high because there is a spring mechanism under the seat to push the back forward to allow passengers to get into the back. It seems from pictures that Euro models have manual adjustments, whereas some of the USA cars are all electric with memory settings.

I am in the USA, so I would like to know if any folks in the USA who have taken delivery can comment on the seats (height and headroom). Is it tight when they drive? Any tall drivers?

I am off to my local dealer now. He has one in stock that I can sit in and test the height. I cannot drive it given that it has close to zero miles on it. For a vary tall driver, just sitting in the car once is not enough. Drive time is the real test for comfort. Please let me know what you think.
I'm 6'6 haven't received my car yet but had the opportunity to do a test drive and fit in nicely!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #9
StreetCredShifter
Rep

I just got back from dealer. I fit real well. Thanks for the responses. It is funny how us tall guys have shared experiences from problems with fit with cars to being asked if we play basketball.

Enjoy your cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #10
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just got back from dealer. I fit real well. Thanks for the responses. It is funny how us tall guys have shared experiences from problems with fit with cars to being asked if we play basketball.

Enjoy your cars.
Man I loved my E36 M3 but my chrome dome stuck to the void in the headliner where the sunroof is like a magnet. I'm sure a rollover would have been fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

Enjoy your cars.
And having to fight women off with a stick.

#tallproblems
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #12
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
It has more room than the original M2 I sat in at the dealer a month or two ago but it had a sunroof so not apples to apples.
Good news. I fit, but not really well in the OG M2. I'm all torso though.
Appreciate 0