forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Front license plate mount idea

03-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #1
naw2
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Front license plate mount idea

Ok everyone, need your input. What is this on the front end, lower grill that has the two threaded holes in it? Looks as if it controls the small dampers or something. I figured out that 6 mm bolts will thread into this. When I got my X7, the dealer threw a front license plate bracket in the back cargo space that I randomly found. Of course, no mounting screws or anything (which I know I could contact them and they would probably give me some). Just don’t want to drill into this gorgeous front end. I thought about mounting the plate bracket as pictured, by getting some longer 6 mm bolts and threading them in, which would hold the bracket in place. What do you think? Unfortunately I am in a state that requires a front license plate.
Attached Images

Last edited by naw2; 03-03-2020 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Sam123
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dodge Durango RT

Hey brother I'm in the same boat. Trying to figure out what those threads are for. Did you end up putting your plate there? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

That area is where the radar sensor would go if you got the driving assistant pro package.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 09:35 PM   #4
Sam123
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
That area is where the radar sensor would go if you got the driving assistant pro package.
Thank you so much for clarifying.

Since you mentioned the driving assistant pro package what does that do exactly. I know the vehicle comes with some safety features. Forgive me a little new to the vehicle. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:37 AM   #5
M3th_add1ct
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw M4 zcp

just bougth an x7 it basically drives itself its awesome i love it specially in traffics it stops it goes it maintains an adequate distance keeps truck in its lane flawless
      03-31-2021, 07:30 PM   #6
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam123 View Post

Since you mentioned the driving assistant pro package what does that do exactly. I know the vehicle comes with some safety features. Forgive me a little new to the vehicle. Thanks.
It's basically like Tesla's autopilot for the most part.
Self driving to an extent on highways.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 10:46 PM   #7
Sam123
United_States
Rep

Front license plate mount idea

Thank you. I thought the x7 m50i already has standard active driving. I'm just confused. The radar that we spoke of in the front is for the active driving assistant pro. Which is like the Tesla autopilot.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 08:43 AM   #8
naw2
Rep

Quote:
Hey brother I'm in the same boat. Trying to figure out what those threads are for. Did you end up putting your plate there? Thanks.
I sure did! Been working perfect since I bought it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 12:35 AM   #9
Sam123
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by naw2 View Post
Quote:
I sure did! Been working perfect since I bought it.
You have pictures of your front plate that would be great. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #10
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Ok everyone, need your input. What is this on the front end, lower grill that has the two threaded holes in it? Looks as if it controls the small dampers or something. I figured out that 6 mm bolts will thread into this. When I got my X7, the dealer threw a front license plate bracket in the back cargo space that I randomly found. Of course, no mounting screws or anything (which I know I could contact them and they would probably give me some). Just don’t want to drill into this gorgeous front end. I thought about mounting the plate bracket as pictured, by getting some longer 6 mm bolts and threading them in, which would hold the bracket in place. What do you think? Unfortunately I am in a state that requires a front license plate.
Did you figure this out? Mrs. feels uncomfortable driving without the front plate and this guys doesn't want to put holes in the front bumper...lol
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 01:28 PM   #11
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Quote:

It's basically like Tesla's autopilot for the most part.
Self driving to an extent on highways.
Just like Tesla's, just 10x the calculations per second, and you won't die.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 05:40 PM   #12
naw2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Quote:
Did you figure this out? Mrs. feels uncomfortable driving without the front plate and this guys doesn't want to put holes in the front bumper...lol
Sorry everyone, slow to respond. Attached is the finished product. I purchased the bolts off Amazon, but quite honestly I can't remember if the 120 mm or the 110 mm length bolts worked. I ended up buying both, but forgot which of the two I actually used. I had to drill two holes through the license plate cover, and with it flipped upside down, seemed to work best. I've had this X7 for almost 18 months with absolutely no issues. Nothing is rubbing on the bumper either to scratch it up.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2123.00
      04-06-2021, 05:52 PM   #13
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep

perfect...Thank you!
Appreciate 1
naw213.00
      04-11-2021, 05:43 PM   #14
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Sorry everyone, slow to respond. Attached is the finished product. I purchased the bolts off Amazon, but quite honestly I can't remember if the 120 mm or the 110 mm length bolts worked. I ended up buying both, but forgot which of the two I actually used. I had to drill two holes through the license plate cover, and with it flipped upside down, seemed to work best. I've had this X7 for almost 18 months with absolutely no issues. Nothing is rubbing on the bumper either to scratch it up.[IMG][/IMG]
naw2 a huge appreciate to you. On the msport bumper it looks factory to me. OEM mount flipped upside down and 2xM6 110mm furniture screws

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 10:08 PM   #15
naw2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Quote:
naw2 a huge appreciate to you. On the msport bumper it looks factory to me. OEM mount flipped upside down and 2xM6 110mm furniture screws

Nice! Looks great!
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2123.00
      04-12-2021, 12:12 AM   #16
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Nice work, guys. I still not putting a plate on the front of my M50i. I can't bring myself to do it after a year.
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2123.00
      04-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #17
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Nice work, guys. I still not putting a plate on the front of my M50i. I can't bring myself to do it after a year.
Yup...if it was up to me, it would have stayed off, just like on my daily, but the boss insisted,,,if you know what I mean

Anyhow...if anyone is interested, I have 8 bolts left over...just need two so I could help 4 members here if you can't find in the local HW staore...just pay for postage.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 11:49 AM   #18
naw2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Totally agree with you! I definitely did not want to mess up the front end either, but in the lovely state of Illinois, I could get roasted without a plate. They are relentless here!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:58 PM   #19
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
My solution is simple, no license plate
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 07:59 AM   #20
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Just purchase a two hook plate bracket. Looks cleaner and won't damage paint or trim.
Appreciate 0