BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Cup Holders and SRS | potential huge safety issue

05-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #23
RAJENT
Raj
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' X3, 21' X7, Tesla Mdl S

May be they are not in the heated/cooled ones. They probably are perforated
      05-21-2021, 01:21 AM   #24
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

My daughter spilled just a bit of her drink in the cupholder today. You better believe I was EXTRA fast to wipe it up. LOL.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 01:31 AM   #25
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJENT View Post
May be they are not in the heated/cooled ones. They probably are perforated
The heated and cooled ones have a LED strip inside where it turns red and blue. That led strip is probably where water is leaking through.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 02:24 AM   #26
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich5741 View Post
The heated and cooled ones have a LED strip inside where it turns red and blue. That led strip is probably where water is leaking through.
Makes me glad I don't have the heated/cooled cup holders.

I had no desire to select this as an option for my 2020 X7 even though it was available when I ordered my car. I knew it wouldn't really keep any drinks very hot/cold since it has no way of insulating the parts of the container/cup above the tallest part of the cup holder. Cabin temperature and the sun will take their toll on the container temperature.

The entire center console is a spill disaster waiting to happen. A USB port between the two cup holders plus the wireless charging tray, if you have that option, makes for a spill disaster area.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 06:00 AM   #27
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

The heat/cool cup holders work pretty good.

Here is a thread with thermal pics for the heated/cooled cup holders.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...37&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 07:56 AM   #28
RAJENT
Raj
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' X3, 21' X7, Tesla Mdl S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Makes me glad I don't have the heated/cooled cup holders.

I had no desire to select this as an option for my 2020 X7 even though it was available when I ordered my car. I knew it wouldn't really keep any drinks very hot/cold since it has no way of insulating the parts of the container/cup above the tallest part of the cup holder. Cabin temperature and the sun will take their toll on the container temperature.

The entire center console is a spill disaster waiting to happen. A USB port between the two cup holders plus the wireless charging tray, if you have that option, makes for a spill disaster area.
I am not sure if we know that the non-heated/cooled cup holders are safe??
      05-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #29
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJENT View Post
I am not sure if we know that the non-heated/cooled cup holders are safe??
Yes they are safe. This thread has gotten a bit of track with what the OP is suggesting. The OP stated that spilling a drink runs down under the center console where he states the SRS was damaged from the liquid. The issue was if the placement of the SRS under the front cup holder (regardless of the model of cup holders) is a good place for this SRS module. This has nothing to do with the actual model of the cupholders. We also know that the front USB port has been water resistant for a few years now so BMW does think about isolated spillage in this area.

BMW has yet to acknowledge this is an issue or a isolated incident. We were thinking out loud if a cover or a sheet of plastic over top of this SRS module would help any spilled liquids to not contact it. If you spill enough liquid around electronics, issues are going to happen regardless how protected you try to make them. So the take away is how much liquid can be spilled around the cup holders???

We had another forum member spill a large Coffee latte down the cup holders and no issues other than worrying if the cream would eventually cause a odor.

Last edited by MystroX5; 05-21-2021 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
RAJENT59.00
      05-21-2021, 12:16 PM   #30
jskylarwilson
Rep
Drives: G07, F85

Update to the situation:

BMW stepped up and fully covered the repair under goodwill and we picked the car up yesterday. They pushed back hard on calling it a design flaw, but I can't see it as anything but. They placed an unprotected vital piece of electronic equipment under a cup holder, and although drinks aren't meant to be spilled in a cupholder, the fact that a couple ounces can make the SRS system fail is still baffling to me.

This gives my wife a lot of concern about the car in the future though. If something like this can make the SRS system fail, or like the other poster who spilled a couple ounces on the gear shift lever and it disabled the car, she's worried at what else can happen and wants something that can stand up to kids.

This did show that BMW is willing to step up and work with their customers, and they were sure to mention that my loyalty to the brand is one of the things that was factored into the decision (this is our 6th BMW in 10 years).

While I was surprised and very happy that BMW fully covered the repair after I had agreed to partially pay, I do wish there were a long term fix, or something as simple as putting a protector over the modules - even a vapour barrier like in car doors.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #31
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskylarwilson View Post
Update to the situation:

BMW stepped up and fully covered the repair under goodwill and we picked the car up yesterday. They pushed back hard on calling it a design flaw, but I can't see it as anything but. They placed an unprotected vital piece of electronic equipment under a cup holder, and although drinks aren't meant to be spilled in a cupholder, the fact that a couple ounces can make the SRS system fail is still baffling to me.

This gives my wife a lot of concern about the car in the future though. If something like this can make the SRS system fail, or like the other poster who spilled a couple ounces on the gear shift lever and it disabled the car, she's worried at what else can happen and wants something that can stand up to kids.

This did show that BMW is willing to step up and work with their customers, and they were sure to mention that my loyalty to the brand is one of the things that was factored into the decision (this is our 6th BMW in 10 years).

While I was surprised and very happy that BMW fully covered the repair after I had agreed to partially pay, I do wish there were a long term fix, or something as simple as putting a protector over the modules - even a vapour barrier like in car doors.

Wonderful to hear. The first fix I thought of was a simple plastic sheet over the module to act as a splash guard to direct fluid away. It’s a cheap fix for under $2.00. There may be a TSB on this during routine service.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #32
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The heat/cool cup holders work pretty good.

Here is a thread with thermal pics for the heated/cooled cup holders.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...37&postcount=1
I read that thread and while I understand the temperatures in the cup holders themselves is decent they can't keep things hot/cold when half or more of the container sitting in the cup holder will be exposed to the elements. At best, as some posters stated, the drinks were only moderately warm/cold near the bottom of the drink container.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56246.00
      05-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #33
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Update to the situation: While I was surprised and very happy that BMW fully covered the repair after I had agreed to partially pay, I do wish there were a long term fix, or something as simple as putting a protector over the modules - even a vapour barrier like in car doors.
Yeah. Funny how a cosmetic light feature that serves no functional purpose, other than aesthetics, warrants BMW's attention for an SIB fix. Yet, a critical life threatening safety feature doesn't warrant their time and attention to find a fix to the potential safety issue. Way to go BMW!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MC-10187481-9999 Door Handle LED Lighting.pdf (386.5 KB, 142 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #34
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I read that thread and while I understand the temperatures in the cup holders themselves is decent they can't keep things hot/cold when half or more of the container sitting in the cup holder will be exposed to the elements. At best, as some posters stated, the drinks were only moderately warm/cold near the bottom of the drink container.
All they really do is maintain the temp the drinks were longer while in the cup holders from my experience. I think that was really their intended use/design. You are not chilling down a already warm soda.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #35
jskylarwilson
Rep
Drives: G07, F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Wonderful to hear. The first fix I thought of was a simple plastic sheet over the module to act as a splash guard to direct fluid away. It’s a cheap fix for under $2.00. There may be a TSB on this during routine service.
It'l have to be a fix designed by BMW. The dealer said that they were limited in what they were able to modify, and wouldn't put anything over the control modules as a result.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #36
sparkyBmw4
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 and M550

We had a cupholder spill in our 2020 X7. We got the same "restraint system failure notification" on the iDrive. After 4 days at the dealer, they said there was a coffee spill that caused the parts to fail. BMW declined the warranty claim. The dealership contacted their regional rep to attempt approval for a Goodwill warranty claim. This was declined. The dealer was willing to take a 3rd shot at BMW. They asked if I would write an email. In my email, I listed the same thing as others. I mentioned I have owned 4 BMW's and am a loyal customer. I also mentioned this is a serious issue that should be investigated by the NTSB and should be a potential recall. They finally agreed to cover the $2200 charge for the repair. I should see my check in a week or so. It is ridiculous I had to go to this effort on an obvious design flaw. Critical electronics underneath an area prone to liquid spills? Ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 10:59 AM   #37
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Oh, geez. Sorry to hear that, man.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #38
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
at least this is precedence now to getting it paid for by BMW. With that said, i hardly give BMW any kudos for this. You basically have to threaten them to get them to budge and even then its with resistance. Its purely sad and a pathetic business model for loyal customers. Shame.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 06:07 PM   #39
BruceC
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Audi A5, VW Atlas SEL

BMW X5 Also suffers from the same problem I have it

Hello, My 2019 BMW X5 hit a bump in the road with a Coke in the Cup holder which spilled in to the cup holder and leaked down below the cup holder. Not more than 5 minutes later did a warning appear telling me to drive directly and carefully to my nearest BMW dealer as the “restraint system failure notification” showed up. HUH ? the Cup holder does not hold cups properly ? No sign that says "Put your cup here at the risk of ruining your electrics?" I have given my BMW X5 with only 17k miles on it to the local dealership in Sarasota and we will see what responsibility BMW takes. I now feel the car is "tainted" and am thinking about getting rid of my BMW X5 which this is my 4th one, as I do not feel confident about this important flaw..... I will post the result and if the class action lawsuit wants to reach me I am available.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 08:49 PM   #40
witzfl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, Previous 540i, 325e

Garage List
Does anyone know if this has been addressed in newer models. And can the cup area be sealed with like silicone or superglue?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 09:30 PM   #41
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzfl View Post
Does anyone know if this has been addressed in newer models. And can the cup area be sealed with like silicone or superglue?
I'm like tempted at this point to open that up and have a look under it… the class action lawsuit is certainly not resolved yet
      02-08-2022, 09:45 PM   #42
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Update to the situation:

I'm glad this all worked out for you, and while I know it's not a perfect solution or possible at times, a pair of his/her Yeti 20oz Ramblers is a good idea. Not only do these keep drinks ridiculously hot/cold, but the build quality is fantastic, they fit perfectly in the X7 cupholders, and it avoids the anxiety completely.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 10:08 PM   #43
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Oh, no, @brucec, I hope this turns out well for you.

To date, there most certainly has NOT been any change to the original design.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 10:12 PM   #44
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Oh, no, @brucec, I hope this turns out well for you.

To date, there most certainly has NOT been any change to the original design.
Did you look underneath the cup holders and gear shifter on a 2022 model for how the cabling was done?
The design might be the same but who knows what they did, maybe additional insulation or whatevs…