BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Cup Holders and SRS | potential huge safety issue

02-09-2022, 12:05 AM   #45
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Hmmm...I was sure I heard something about this issue before outside this forum.

Ha, there it is:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43586/...rigger-airbags
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 06:15 AM   #46
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Hmmm...I was sure I heard something about this issue before outside this forum.

Ha, there it is:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43586/...rigger-airbags
Why the move to Jeep GCL? That’s an odd one from X7 M50i fully loaded to GCL.
      02-09-2022, 10:49 AM   #47
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
Why the move to Jeep GCL? That’s an odd one from X7 M50i fully loaded to GCL.
It made sense economically. I was able to get out of my lease and pocket some cash. The monthly payments on the Jeep are - as you can imagine - lower, too.

I would have considered another BMW as well but the lack of options and discounts made me look somewhere else.

There is the right time to get a certain vehicle and at that point, it was not the right time to get a BMW and I would argue that's still the case.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #48
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Quote:
Why the move to Jeep GCL? That's an odd one from X7 M50i fully loaded to GCL.
It made sense economically. I was able to get out of my lease and pocket some cash. The monthly payments on the Jeep are - as you can imagine - lower, too.

I would have considered another BMW as well but the lack of options and discounts made me look somewhere else.

There is the right time to get a certain vehicle and at that point, it was not the right time to get a BMW and I would argue that's still the case.
I mean the GCL is a really nice vehicle too. I was looking at those and the new Grand Wagoneers. Landed with the X7 because it's kind of an inbetween size… but yeah GCL looks great!

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread. Back on topic: I'd love to see what it looks like under the cup holders on 2022 models, but I'm too afraid ripping mine open.
      02-09-2022, 11:58 AM   #49
classj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi E90, X3 M40i, M2CS,X7M50

Quote:
I mean the GCL is a really nice vehicle too. I was looking at those and the new Grand Wagoneers. Landed with the X7 because it's kind of an inbetween size… but yeah GCL looks great!
I cross shopped the GCL and the X7. Honestly I hate the Jeep dealer network more than I do BMW. Even though they both are pretty bad.

If BMW was not able to order an X7 with the options we wanted we were going to take a Jeep and save $50K.

Will see how the X7 turns out. I know BMW makes a great 60-70K SUV. And compared to the Jeep that is not a horrible jump. I am still questioning the sanity of my 110K X7 build but time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 01:27 PM   #50
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by classj View Post
I hate the Jeep dealer network more than I do BMW.
It's not just the network. The level of customer service you get at Jeep - well - is pretty low. I guess something has to give when you're spending less...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #51
skids929
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

The car is a massive piece of shit. Dump it and move on like I did. I literally ran from that thing as far as humanly possible. Complete crap, would NEVER buy a BMW again, or recommend. In the first year it needed new tires at 13k, a wheel bearing which BMW never acknowledged and still makes a suspension noise they refuse to acknowledge and then we had this same issue and we'd never spilled anything in the H&C cupholder. Dumped it and moved on, happily.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:22 PM   #52
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
The car is a massive piece of shit. Dump it and move on like I did. I literally ran from that thing as far as humanly possible. Complete crap, would NEVER buy a BMW again, or recommend. In the first year it needed new tires at 13k, a wheel bearing which BMW never acknowledged and still makes a suspension noise they refuse to acknowledge and then we had this same issue and we'd never spilled anything in the H&C cupholder. Dumped it and moved on, happily.
If it's such a massive piece of shit and you dumped it and you're never getting another BMW again, then why are you still here?
Appreciate 5
mitch57798.00
SHARMAATL477.00
Tr4ckD4ys388.50
Missduvy286.50
      09-01-2022, 09:59 PM   #53
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
The tires wear out at 13k because it has really soft and sticky high performance summer tires. The grip on those things is insane, and tread life is the compromise that you have to make for that. There are a number of wheel/tire options that BMW will let you get on the X7, ultimately you chose (or you picked a car on the lot equipped with) 280 treadwear UTQG high performance summer tires. BMW did nothing wrong there.

I switched to slightly skinnier wheels with high performance all season tires and the difference in grip is incredible. The all seasons start squealing as soon as you try to do any aggressive cornering; the stock tires would just stick and do the job with no fuss.

I can't speak to your other issues, but it sounds like you had a bad dealership with a bad service department that didn't take your issues seriously. BMW needs to do a much better job of enforcing high quality standards at their dealerships. I luckily found an amazing dealership that is ethical, trustworthy, puts in the effort to do the right thing even if it costs them a bit of time/money, and they will push BMW corporate when necessary to get their customers taken care of. Many BMW dealerships are not like that (another current top thread here on the X7 forums provides an excellent example of that), and that's not acceptable for a luxury brand. It's reasonable to expect that every single BMW dealership will be excellent; that's what you're paying for. The average person doesn't do much research into this, they just use their local dealership, and in that case they're better off buying a Genesis and getting a car which is just as good and (arguably) more reliable, for less money.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 07:58 AM   #54
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Everyone affected by spilled liquids in the cup holders should take a few minutes to file a complaint on the NHTSA's website - www.nhtsa.gov. If enough owners complain, NHTSA will investigate.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 05:05 PM   #55
amontoya1982
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Apparently not, my dealer is telling me the same thing on a car I've had less than a week. I spilled nothing, but apparently even too much condensation can drip down according to the class action lawsuit.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 05:17 PM   #56
amontoya1982
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
Hello, My 2019 BMW X5 hit a bump in the road with a Coke in the Cup holder which spilled in to the cup holder and leaked down below the cup holder. Not more than 5 minutes later did a warning appear telling me to drive directly and carefully to my nearest BMW dealer as the “restraint system failure notification” showed up. HUH ? the Cup holder does not hold cups properly ? No sign that says "Put your cup here at the risk of ruining your electrics?" I have given my BMW X5 with only 17k miles on it to the local dealership in Sarasota and we will see what responsibility BMW takes. I now feel the car is "tainted" and am thinking about getting rid of my BMW X5 which this is my 4th one, as I do not feel confident about this important flaw..... I will post the result and if the class action lawsuit wants to reach me I am available.
Same thing happened to me, had the car for a week, hadn't even filled it with gas. 2019 X5 50i. First conversation today dealer told me it is not covered under warranty. Guess I will keep trying to fight it and get them to pay for it, but I am less than confident. I've always avoided BMW because everyone I know with them seems to always be paying some expensive repair. Should have listened to my gut.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 01:22 PM   #57
SeeBeaux
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive30e

The part that I find hilarious in all this is that I stumbled across this issue when searching for a solution to a VERY leaky thermal travel mug BMW dealer gifted me on pickup of my car. There is no solution. And it's not a one off. Seems every single one of these mugs leaks like crazy. See amazon.de reviews below.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Original-...pe=all_reviews

So not only do the cupholders leak through and break expensive electronics, but some poor saps like me are getting leaky mugs gifted to them by BMW dealers to help ensure that the problem arises.
Appreciate 1
Tr4ckD4ys388.50
      11-02-2022, 05:44 PM   #58
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBeaux View Post
The part that I find hilarious in all this is that I stumbled across this issue when searching for a solution to a VERY leaky thermal travel mug BMW dealer gifted me on pickup of my car. There is no solution. And it's not a one off. Seems every single one of these mugs leaks like crazy. See amazon.de reviews below.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Original-...pe=all_reviews

So not only do the cupholders leak through and break expensive electronics, but some poor saps like me are getting leaky mugs gifted to them by BMW dealers to help ensure that the problem arises.
: this