proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #23
M2 GT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C

Not for the F87, but yes the F80/F82 kit had a 23kg/mm rear spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
The original R&T rear spring rate on the F8x was higher than your new 22 kg/mm rear rate.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #24
apexM4
2015 Silver Stone M4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Silverstone BMW M4

So, after some research, comparisons and taking in all the feedback here I've pretty much narrowed it down to MCS 2WR and AST 5300's. For the same price as the MCS fully put together (camber plates, springs, clevis mounts, strut adapter sleeves) I can move up to the 3way AST's. Now my question is are the MCS a better support company than AST? It seems as if the draw is lately towards MCS but I like the long standing reputation of AST being a solid company, also sister company with MOTON.

Does anyone prefer one over the other that can save me a headache down the road? if not I'm leaning towards AST due to having more room for growth with such a capable set up.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:09 PM   #25
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexM4 View Post
So, after some research, comparisons and taking in all the feedback here I've pretty much narrowed it down to MCS 2WR and AST 5300's. For the same price as the MCS fully put together (camber plates, springs, clevis mounts, strut adapter sleeves) I can move up to the 3way AST's. Now my question is are the MCS a better support company than AST? It seems as if the draw is lately towards MCS but I like the long standing reputation of AST being a solid company, also sister company with MOTON.

Does anyone prefer one over the other that can save me a headache down the road? if not I'm leaning towards AST due to having more room for growth with such a capable set up.
Can’t go wrong with those two, continental02 in the AST camp and SYT in the MCS camp. Either is a great choice
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:35 AM   #26
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexM4 View Post

There’s a reason MCS 2WR are priced similarly to AST 5300. You’d have to consider Moton 2W remotes to have a comparable setup to a MCS 2WR. ASTs are less expensive for a reason. I have close to 30 years setting up suspensions. I’ve used Moton 2W setups on e46 and e92 M3s (and JRZ and TCK), and MCS 2WR setups on my F82 and F22. I’d pick a Nitron 3-way or a Moton 2W or Tractive conventional (non-edc) 2W setup over an AST 5300 setup. Ohlins TTX 2-way or 3-way would be the only other suspension option I’d personally consider beside MCS. You can always upgrade from a MCS 2WR to a 3WR if you end up out growing the 2W damping adjustment but in most cases a 3-way setup is overkill (majority of people have enough difficulty properly setting up a 2W setup).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 07:51 AM   #27
apexM4
2015 Silver Stone M4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Silverstone BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
There’s a reason MCS 2WR are priced similarly to AST 5300. You’d have to consider Moton 2W remotes to have a comparable setup to a MCS 2WR. ASTs are less expensive for a reason. I have close to 30 years setting up suspensions. I’ve used Moton 2W setups on e46 and e92 M3s (and JRZ and TCK), and MCS 2WR setups on my F82 and F22. I’d pick a Nitron 3-way or a Moton 2W or Tractive conventional (non-edc) 2W setup over an AST 5300 setup. Ohlins TTX 2-way or 3-way would be the only other suspension option I’d personally consider beside MCS. You can always upgrade from a MCS 2WR to a 3WR if you end up out growing the 2W damping adjustment but in most cases a 3-way setup is overkill (majority of people have enough difficulty properly setting up a 2W setup).
Wasn't aware up the upgrade possibility with MCS. But very good points all around here, thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0