F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Anyone have issues with their dealer after coding out EDC?
Studio RSR

09-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

Anyone have issues with their dealer after coding out EDC?

I'm doing final research ahead of my suspension install. My 340xi has the track handling package so it came with EDC, but I'm planning to go with non-EDC coils (KW Street Comfort) for reasons discussed at length in another thread on this page

I've read about a few people having issues with their dealer after coding out EDC. Basically it sounds like if they attempt to do a software update they might be able to see that the car is not configured as it was when it left the factory, and that might either have them thinking they need to replace something that isn't broken, or prevent them from performing other software updates.

Anyone have experience with this? You'd think just communicating this upfront would avoid issues, but in my experience it isn't always that simple when working with dealerships.

A couple examples of the issues I'm looking into below:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895766

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1179693
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

That's why KW created cancellation kits to avoid this problem. From KW web site:

Description
KW Cancellation Kits
Cancellation kits eliminate persistent trouble codes that exist when upgrading a suspension on a vehicle with electronically regulated dampers.
KW is the only manufacturer that offers the solutions whereby the serial damper regulation is shut down and at the same time trouble code avoided. The functioning of the of the control unit remains completely intact.

I would not recommend coding out EDC functionality. The last sentence above says it all: the control unit needs to remain completely intact and functioning. The cancellation kit - in essence downstream - ensures EDC control unit receives proper codes although adjustable shocks are no longer present.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm aware of that, but you can find many reports of EDC cancellation kits not actually eliminating the fault codes, and people returning them and just coding it out. Seems pretty common on F3x and F8x boards.

And of course saving a couple hundred bucks doesn't hurt.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 12:43 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

EDC cancellation kits are designed to send proper codes. I am also very curious about EDC cancellation kits not sending proper codes. Can you share links to these messages? I suspect these kits may be defective after working properly for some time.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep

In the second link I posted above you can see two F8x guys who couldn't get the EDC deletes to work. I've found other examples by searching the boards.

That said since I posted last night I've been thinking about trying the delete kits more and more. You can also find examples were they've worked, and you are correct that the kit is the best way to avoid issues at the dealer. Figure if I confirm the part number for my car with KW first, then if they don't end up working I should be able to return them.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Did you have a chance to call KW and ask more details about expected functionality of EDC cancellation kits? I read both threads and sense EDC cancellation kits did not work as designed (perhaps failed).
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep

I have not yet. In some threads I've read the the kits can overheat after long drives depending on where they are placed and that can interfere with their functionality. I'm also continuing to research the coding route.
Appreciate 0