BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Need radio tuning assistance

08-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
Joemac8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Need radio tuning assistance

I picked my 40i up last week in the early evening. The Genius spent time with me, but it all seems like a whirl. He set up most things for me, and I dutifully answered "yes" and "no" to his suggestions, pretty much confused.

This is my first BMW after 50 + years of G.M. cars and SUV's. I traded in my 2015 Suburban LTZ, so this was not only a substantial step up in vehicle, it was a mammoth leap in electronics. I downloaded the Genius App as well as texted the BMW Genius web site.

Now to my issue: The dealer set up my radio so that my favorite Serius stations were together in a list. He then had that entire list under memory button #1. I pushed button #1 and my six SeriusXM stations were all on the screen. I then tuned to them by touch. Subsequent to this after getting the car home, I set up my Driver Profile. Following that, most of the settings from the dealer Genius disappeared. I was able to figure out how to get most every setting back, except my XM radio stations on Button 1 disappeared.

I searched and the best I could do was find instructions of how to set up my pre-set stations on the eight memory buttons, one button for each station. While this works, I find that at night I have a difficult time clearly seeing the buttons and they are not convenient to reach and find.

What I want to do is put my six preset stations (which are not all sequentially listed stations) in one place where they at least would appear on the video display so I can at least touch the display to be able to switch between them.

Ideally, I would like to be able to switch among them with the buttons on the steering wheel. Since they are not all in a row by station number, employing the steering wheel button to get from channel 7 to 70, I would have to click through 63 stations.

I hope that I made this issue clear????
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemac8 View Post
I picked my 40i up last week in the early evening. The Genius spent time with me, but it all seems like a whirl. He set up most things for me, and I dutifully answered "yes" and "no" to his suggestions, pretty much confused.

This is my first BMW after 50 + years of G.M. cars and SUV's. I traded in my 2015 Suburban LTZ, so this was not only a substantial step up in vehicle, it was a mammoth leap in electronics. I downloaded the Genius App as well as texted the BMW Genius web site.

Now to my issue: The dealer set up my radio so that my favorite Serius stations were together in a list. He then had that entire list under memory button #1. I pushed button #1 and my six SeriusXM stations were all on the screen. I then tuned to them by touch. Subsequent to this after getting the car home, I set up my Driver Profile. Following that, most of the settings from the dealer Genius disappeared. I was able to figure out how to get most every setting back, except my XM radio stations on Button 1 disappeared.

I searched and the best I could do was find instructions of how to set up my pre-set stations on the eight memory buttons, one button for each station. While this works, I find that at night I have a difficult time clearly seeing the buttons and they are not convenient to reach and find.

What I want to do is put my six preset stations (which are not all sequentially listed stations) in one place where they at least would appear on the video display so I can at least touch the display to be able to switch between them.

Ideally, I would like to be able to switch among them with the buttons on the steering wheel. Since they are not all in a row by station number, employing the steering wheel button to get from channel 7 to 70, I would have to click through 63 stations.

I hope that I made this issue clear????
Go to and select "Media" > Hover the select over "Presets" > Hold down the "1" button to set a shortcut to your presets.

Quick video showing how:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ctssqv854...tcuts.MOV?dl=0
      08-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
Joemac8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
Go to and select "Media" > Hover the select over "Presets" > Hold down the "1" button to set a shortcut to your presets.

Quick video showing how:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ctssqv854...tcuts.MOV?dl=0
I made my preset list. When I press down on a shortcut button "1", it only remembers the first listed station. When I press "1", all I get is that first station and not the entire preset list???
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep

You have to do it on the menu selection where the preset list is. You also have to hold down the button to save it to that option. I have a feeling that your radio station is currently saved to 1 so you need to over ride that.
      08-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
Joemac8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

From Home- Media-Presets- then hold down “1” and get the tone. When I press “1” after that I get only the station in order with the it was on when the button pushed

No preset?

Last edited by Joemac8; 08-21-2019 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemac8 View Post
From Home- Media-Presets- then hold down “1” and get the tone. When I press “1” after that I get only the station in order with the it was on when the button pushed

No preset?
Hmm. It is working for me. I dont click on Preset, I scroll the selector over Presets. Once I set it, if I touch (not push) the button I set it says Preset. Does yours say that?
      08-21-2019, 06:42 PM   #7
Joemac8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Talking

jokinawa, that was it. Thanks ever so much!!!
Appreciate 0