BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum IAS / DHP Questions

08-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #1
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328ix / 2020 X7 40i

IAS / DHP Questions

I am going to be ordering a new X7 in the coming month and am trying to figure out if the IAS and /or DHP package are worth it.

Live in the New York City Area / Westchester so the added maneuverability and shorter turning radius would be very useful.

The challenge I have been having is actually finding one to test drive (or even, tbh, a CA that knows enough about the package/features of the DHP) - there really aren't any in my area available to take for a spin to compare (BMW of Manhattan has one, but it's not available for test drive).

I'm hoping that the forum can offer some insight and answer a couple questions:

1. I can't find any data online as to what the turning radius is with / without IAS - has anyone seen it? Any idea of the % improvement?

2. Does IAS make it noticeably easier to maneuver / park?

3. What's the learning curve time to get used to the IAS? And worst case, can it be disabled if you end up feeling uncomfortable to drive with the IAS?

4. DHP - I'm leaning towards not getting it as it seems quite steep for the active comfort drive / road preview (essentially $2K when you net out the standalone cost of the brakes + IAS). Active comfort drive / road preview seems to be only a marginal improvement and requires navigation to be running for it to be in use - would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brukes View Post
I am going to be ordering a new X7 in the coming month and am trying to figure out if the IAS and /or DHP package are worth it.

Live in the New York City Area / Westchester so the added maneuverability and shorter turning radius would be very useful.

The challenge I have been having is actually finding one to test drive (or even, tbh, a CA that knows enough about the package/features of the DHP) - there really aren't any in my area available to take for a spin to compare (BMW of Manhattan has one, but it's not available for test drive).

1. I can't find any data online as to what the turning radius is with / without IAS - has anyone seen it? Any idea of the % improvement?

3. What's the learning curve time to get used to the IAS? And worst case, can it be disabled if you end up feeling uncomfortable to drive with the IAS?

4. DHP - I'm leaning towards not getting it as it seems quite steep for the active comfort drive / road preview (essentially $2K when you net out the standalone cost of the brakes + IAS). Active comfort drive / road preview seems to be only a marginal improvement and requires navigation to be running for it to be in use - would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.
We have integral active steering and I recommend it, it make the x7 very maneuverable at low speeds, you can feel the back end swing around.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I am in the Westchester array and I have both IAS and highly recommend it. I am continually surprised by how many turns I can make.

The care also feels way more maneuverable than my prior BMW which was a 2016 328 GT. It feels snappier changing lanes at high speed.

If anyone is in the Westchester area without IAS and would like to meet up to film the turning radius with me in an empty parking lot let me know.
      08-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
akap007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5d

I came from a 2011 X5 without DHP and opted for DHP in my X7 so that's the backdrop for my observations.

The net effect of DHP has been for the car to handle like a smaller vehicle. Body leans are minimal, turning is sharp, and the ride is insanely smooth even with the 22" wheels. There is no special setting to disable IAS but you won't need to since the car does all the thinking for you. The only downside to IAS is the $450 charged for alignments.

I haven't driven an X7 without DHP but given how amazing this giant SUV drives, I think DHP definitely lets you feel like you are driving a smaller car while having the space of a 3 row SUV.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
I wouldn’t buy one without IAS and DHP. Both make it handle like a smaller (and sportier) car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:03 AM   #6
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I think one other variable for you to consider is what are you already used to driving now (SUV vs car) to help frame your reference to make a truly informed decision. In my case, I have a (much bigger) Ford Expedition EL SUV that I drive when I don't drive my M3. I thought I might want IAS for the reasons you sited, but after I test drove an X7 without IAS, with my point of reference being my Expedition, the X7 felt very small, smooth and nimble - both on the road and in a parking lot.

Of course, compared to my M3 (or even my wife's current F25 X3), the X7 still felt like a pig. It is an SUV after all, but a SIGNIFICANTLY more nimble, comfortable and luxurious "pig" when compared to my Expedition. After my test drive, my conclusion is that those two options are not worth it to me as the X7 is very nice on the road for what I want it for. If I really want that speed and road hugging performance, I have another car to scratch that itch (and it does it much better anyway)....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

All - Thanks for the feedback. I'll add the IAS.

Found one to test drive in Ridgefield, CT.

CA said that DHP needs navigation enabled to take effect (that correct? Some CAs I've talked to didn't even know that DHP included IAS). Will try and get a feel of how impactful the active road preview is and make a final call on whether to add the whole package or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #8
gatordent2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 M50i

Garage List
2016 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
All - Thanks for the feedback. I'll add the IAS.

Found one to test drive in Ridgefield, CT.

CA said that DHP needs navigation enabled to take effect (that correct? Some CAs I've talked to didn't even know that DHP included IAS). Will try and get a feel of how impactful the active road preview is and make a final call on whether to add the whole package or not.
I was on the fence about it as well. Ultimately I chose the package but I didn’t think on the M50i you were able to get IAS on its own. The other trims you could. So it was either all or none for me. I may be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #9
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
CA said that DHP needs navigation enabled to take effect (that correct?
This is what the guys on the G05 forum are saying as well, about DHP. Does seem to be true.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 09:44 PM   #10
Guards Red Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 xDrive40i

I am ordering my X7 This Week....I am leaning towards ADDING IAS to my build (mostly to reduce turning radius and improve parking maneuverability)

However, I had IAS on my 2009 750i and I recall a bit of a "twitchy" ride in which I had to make lots of steering wheel corrective inputs to keep the car from wandering

Can anyone comment on whether or not IAS alters this straight line tracking in their X7 ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 05:29 AM   #11
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I ended up adding IAS.

Doesn't feel twitchy at all - it's quite subtle but you do feel the rear wheels assisting steering.

In my opinion it's made the vehicle more maneuverable in parking / low speeds and more stable at highway speeds. As someone else on this site said, the car feels like it's on rails.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #12
Guards Red Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 xDrive40i

Looks like everyone on this forum really does highly recommend the IAS

I will go for the DHP for a few extra $

Thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #13
Stunz G.
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Garage List
Hey Brukes how was the test drive with DHP in Ridgefield, CT?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #14
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunz G. View Post
It was night and day.

I didn't add DHP but added IAS to my build - I can definitely notice the difference versus X7s that don't have DHP or IAS. It took a little getting used to but at low speeds you feel the back kicking out helping you take tighter turns, and at highway speeds the car just glides when doing lane changes. Feels like it's on rails - really planted and stable.

I couldn't tell what road preview was giving you and I don't have it on mine, so can't say much for the whole DHP package, but the IAS is a must have in my opinion for a car this size.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 05:24 PM   #15
Stunz G.
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It was night and day.

I didn't add DHP but added IAS to my build - I can definitely notice the difference versus X7s that don't have DHP or IAS. It took a little getting used to but at low speeds you feel the back kicking out helping you take tighter turns, and at highway speeds the car just glides when doing lane changes. Feels like it's on rails - really planted and stable.

I couldn't tell what road preview was giving you and I don't have it on mine, so can't say much for the whole DHP package, but the IAS is a must have in my opinion for a car this size.
Good Stuff... What exactly did you have to get use to at higher speeds. was steering like super sensitive or something?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #16
Brukes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It was night and day.

Good Stuff... What exactly did you have to get use to at higher speeds. was steering like super sensitive or something?
It's subtle but you need to get used to the back wheels helping direct the car versus only the front. The back doesn't completely follow the front as in a traditional steering is setup - the back somewhat moves in parallel.

However, If you didn't know to look for the differences from IAS and how the car subtly drives differently, you would just think that it was very agile and handles well.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 06:57 PM   #17
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
It's subtle but you need to get used to the back wheels helping direct the car versus only the front. The back doesn't completely follow the front as in a traditional steering is setup - the back somewhat moves in parallel.

However, If you didn't know to look for the differences from IAS and how the car subtly drives differently, you would just think that it was very agile and handles well.
Good point. BMW purposely tried to keep the IAS subtle but you certainly know something is going on but not as extreme as the new S-Class that actually crabwalks. That might be a bit too extreme and could scare some owners. When extreme IAS is in motion and crabwalks, it feels like the vehicle is sliding on ice. Seamless is the end goal in my mind and BMW nailed it with a vehicle the size of the X7. My X7 turns tighter than my wife’s A4q on our driveway.
Appreciate 0