BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Download Apps Directly to X7

08-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
Jthompson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade ESV, M4, Range Rover

Download Apps Directly to X7

I have a 2019 X7 with RSE. Does anyone know if it is possible to directly download Netflix to the vehicle, open the app on the RSE, and then use the in vehicle WiFi to stream content?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

You can. Use the RSE HDMI Input and connect an Amazon Firestick. Connect the stick to your WiFi, open Netflix and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #3
Jthompson
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
You can. Use the RSE HDMI Input and connect an Amazon Firestick. Connect the stick to your WiFi, open Netflix and enjoy!
That's not my question. I'm aware that you can connect a third device and stream through that. What I'm asking is if you can download Netflix directly to the vehicle and stream from that without needing a fire stick, Apple TV, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

This is why I opted for two iPads.

Since we subscribe to Att Now, we get love TV in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
Jthompson
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
This is why I opted for two iPads.

Since we subscribe to Att Now, we get love TV in the car.
I would still rather have the integration that comes with the RSE. I like having the ability to see the navigation, weather, audio and other information. I think it just feels better integrated and I like the added functionality.

With that said, it makes absolutely no sense that you can't download apps directly to the vehicle (if that is the case). You should have the ability to download apps such as Netflix, pandora, Hulu, etc. directly to the vehicle so that they can be used with the WiFi connection without needing a secondary device.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #6
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthompson View Post
I would still rather have the integration that comes with the RSE. I like having the ability to see the navigation, weather, audio and other information. I think it just feels better integrated and I like the added functionality.

With that said, it makes absolutely no sense that you can't download apps directly to the vehicle (if that is the case). You should have the ability to download apps such as Netflix, pandora, Hulu, etc. directly to the vehicle so that they can be used with the WiFi connection without needing a secondary device.
Im sure that BMW has it's own operating system work unique coding. That means app developers like Netflix would need to code the app just for BMW. that's expensive with little RROI. Im not saying you're wrong, just not going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:26 PM   #7
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:

I thought those RSE are based on an Android OS. There might be some workaround, isnt it?! After all, its the backseat entertainment system and Streaming Apps should be downloadable to it...

Is there any App store in the settings or any screen layer? I am sorry I do not have RSE on mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 05:58 PM   #8
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Quote:

I thought those RSE are based on an Android OS. There might be some workaround, isnt it?! After all, its the backseat entertainment system and Streaming Apps should be downloadable to it...

Is there any App store in the settings or any screen layer? I am sorry I do not have RSE on mine.
I don't think RSE OS is based on Android, more like a special version of Linus.
      08-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #9
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Integrated monitors

Quote:
I have a 2019 X7 with RSE. Does anyone know if it is possible to directly download Netflix to the vehicle, open the app on the RSE, and then use the in vehicle WiFi to stream content?
3 years ago we got new model of Audi Q7, nice car but the monitors have been as useless as you can get. No way to play dvd, only front monitor could and only while not driving, no way to beam on the back, so the only thing that left are games and sorry android system for this sucks. Therefore now with our order of X7 we are going with iPads. I hope this help those who think monitors as supplied are wonderful.
Appreciate 0