F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OT. When exactly can we start hanging murders!
Studio RSR

03-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #45
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

It's a very emotive subject. I'm sure that the public at large are overall in favour of the death penalty. But evidence from the States would suggest that the victims family get little release from the sense of loss, guilt, anger etc. even after the killer is executed.

Justice may be seen to have been served, but it's not necessarily the answer to how families deal with their grief.

It's difficult not to cherry pick evidence on the net, but clearly there has been a number of studies.

http://www.rachelkingbooks.com/artic...s,king_895.pdf

Last edited by Spoonhead; 03-03-2015 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #46
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonhead View Post
It's a very emotive subject. I'm sure that the public at large are overall in favour of the death penalty. But evidence from the States would suggest that the victims family get little release from the sense of loss, guilt, anger etc. even after the killer is executed.

Justice may be seen to have been served, but it's not necessarily the answer to how families deal with their grief.

It's difficult not to cherry pick evidence on the net, but clearly there has been a number of studies.

http://www.rachelkingbooks.com/artic...s,king_895.pdf
I personally think that the whole bit about victims and punsishment for the perpetrator is not the point.

The victims family etc, do not unfortunately depend on the sentence, they are perpetually locked in to the crime.

This argument does not help the punishment side of things, as there is never ever emotional or psychologicalresolution of the crime.

The punishment is a punishment, it's nothing to do with victim nor is it a warning to others, it's a punishment pure and simple.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 04:47 AM   #47
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

There are those in society, who, like us on this forum happily go about their business and live their lives in a civilised and respectful manner, and there are those who don't! Those who don't are the ones who will always cause the problems, and it is these people for whom rules and laws are generally written. There is now a law for virtually any transgression you can think of!

There are sections of society who have virtually no appreciation, concept, or understanding of current affairs or indeed anything topical. They know right from wrong and many will be aware of the consequences of their actions, but their world is generally lived in a small bubble, ignorant to how the rest of us operate.

Criminal offences are punishable, those who are caught are put into the judicial system and so the process begins... have they committed crime before? What was their last punishment? What to do with them now? By the time someone gets caught it is usual that they have already committed numerous crimes that they have got away with! They are usually so ill informed that they only ever get to hear about the consequences of their action by first hand experience (when they first get caught), or through the grapevine (what happened to a mate, or a bloke down the pub).

I used to deal with a lot of the crime in SE London that you'd hear on the radio news in the morning whilst getting ready for work, like... 'a youth stabbed and in a critical condition', or... 'nighttime prowler burglar violently attacks elderly occupant'. I used to know what I was going to be doing those days before actually arriving in the office! Anyway, I found that the massive common denominator to the suspects of these crimes is that they just had virtually no knowledge of how the rest of the world operates. They didn't listen to the news; they didn't watch the news on TV; they didn't buy newspapers, they only ever got to hear about what was what through word of mouth! They have no idea that so many serious offenders now get caught - they honestly think they can commit crime and never get caught! It's only when they are sat in an interview room with their legal rep that they have any idea what might be in store for them. I've often felt like banging my head against a wall.

I've often thought that, if the mass majority of the people that I'd dealt with were more informed, there would have been a good chance that they may have considered their actions?! How can deterence be appreciated by them if they are not fully aware of the consequences / punishment? I think that liberalism has been allowed to soften the system far too much - the drum needs to be beaten harder to send out our message of disapproval to those who have no respect for other people.

Sorry, I got carried away...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 05:58 AM   #48
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Now there's a different perspective - and a worrying thought too!

So what's the answer, free Sunday Times for them all?
      03-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #49
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

..And there are also those who just feel that rules are for other people.
Appreciate 0