Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7-M

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon652 View Post
I ordered up the Thule Edge Flush Rail/Wingbars along with a Thule Motion XT XL Roof Box yesterday from REI (20% off it all during their annual sale). Picking most of it up this week/weekend and curious to see/hear fit, etc. I'm not sure I could live with any rubbing per hechon's feedback but missed that until after I ordered. Will be curious to see how it all comes together!
Let us see your setup once you have it installed.
My Rail/Wingbar did not arrive in time for my trip down south, so I used the roof rails I had for my Volvo XC90. They fit but are a little too short in the front and raised too high for my liking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-04-2023, 07:15 AM   #68
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinioX7 View Post
My Rail/Wingbar did not arrive in time for my trip down south, so I used the roof rails I had for my Volvo XC90. They fit but are a little too short in the front and raised too high for my liking.
You can't take chances with crossbars that are not designed specifically for the X7. With the size and weight of the cargo box being thrust at 80 mph on a highway, you are putting other drivers behind you at significant risk. Your owners manual and the instructions with the OEM crossbars both specify this implicitly.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 12:19 PM   #69
ivinioX7
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
You can't take chances with crossbars that are not designed specifically for the X7. With the size and weight of the cargo box being thrust at 80 mph on a highway, you are putting other drivers behind you at significant risk. Your owners manual and the instructions with the OEM crossbars both specify this implicitly.
Yeah, I see what you are saying. Safety concern has been my top priority. Since the vehicle roof railing on XC90 is nearly identical to the X7, I gave it a try. When the bars were installed, I opened the sunroof in my X7 and tried to push the bars out of the rails as hard as I could to ensure they would survive 70 mph.
I've been driving no more than 70mph, stopping every two hours to check on everything.
For my next trip, I will have roof racks specifically designed for my car.
s
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1315.00
      06-07-2023, 08:43 PM   #70
avalon652
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon to be 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Let us see your setup once you have it installed.
Sorry for the delay! Took a minute to get the rails on and the box - long story short it all fits like a glove. Here's what I got:

Roof Rack:
2x Thule WingBar Edge 95 cm roof bar 1-pack black | 721420
1x Thule Flush Rail Edge foot for vehicles 4-pack black | 720601
1x Fit Kit 186007

Cargo Box:
1x Thule Motion XT XL

No issues with clearance on Antenna, Tailgate, or Sun/Moon Roof as you can see in the pictures. I placed the rails inline with the directions from the OEM - although didn't see anything re: placement in the normal guide or from Thule. You'd think if that were a strict requirement it would come with the car - not just the OEM Rails . Either way, I did place them at the markers and it all works perfectly. Super happy with it!

(Pardon the plastic wrap - wanted to be sure it was 100% before I removed)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
keg97168.00
      06-22-2023, 10:28 PM   #71
NinjaPower
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 xDrive50i

For those who bought the Turtle Brand system... I'm curious if there's enough space for those clamps that hold the Thule boxes in place.

I'm trying to decide between the 7603 Aeroblades and Kit 184023 and this Turtle brand or perhaps what avalon652 has.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 10:00 AM   #72
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPower View Post
For those who bought the Turtle Brand system... I'm curious if there's enough space for those clamps that hold the Thule boxes in place.

I'm trying to decide between the 7603 Aeroblades and Kit 184023 and this Turtle brand or perhaps what avalon652 has.

Yes, they wrap nicely around the OEM crossbars and don't take up too much space inside the cargo box either. The online photos of the clamps make them look short, but they aren't, they secure tightly around the crossbars and almost make a complete circle if you will. I've got 10,000+ miles on mine over the course of 4 summers.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 12:28 PM   #73
NinjaPower
Rep

Quote:
Yes, they wrap nicely around the OEM crossbars and don't take up too much space inside the cargo box either. The online photos of the clamps make them look short, but they aren't, they secure tightly around the crossbars and almost make a complete circle if you will. I've got 10,000+ miles on mine over the course of 4 summers.

Nice!
I just ordered the Turtle brand AIR-1 today based on this forum.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165138587621

As others stated, it comes from Germany. The seller says it will arrive by the 4th to me (LA).
I'll post some pics and details once it's here.

Now I just need an XXL box...
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1315.00
      06-24-2023, 12:32 PM   #74
JaTe
BMW Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, X7

I went with the Thule 450r crossroads. It wraps around the rails. Had an older set that I ran on previous SUVs with no issues.
Attached Images

Retired BMWs: 1999 BMW 328i, 2005 BMW M3 ZCP
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2023, 03:16 PM   #75
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nice!
I just ordered the Turtle brand AIR-1 today based on this forum.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165138587621

As others stated, it comes from Germany. The seller says it will arrive by the 4th to me (LA).
I'll post some pics and details once it's here.

Now I just need an XXL box...
I'm a big Thule fan, but you can choose others. Do you really need XXL? Mine is XL and plenty long.

Most important for a cargo box is your duffle bag game. Buy a Set of 6 duffle bags and have your passengers pack them to 80% full. With the 3rd Row up, there is barely enough room for a cooler or a stroller. We have a set of duffels only for use with the cargo box. They're a cargo box accessory.

Search Amazon for "Vorspack Duffel Bag 28 Inches Foldable Duffle Bag" as those fit perfectly. If you don't like the brand or design, buy something no larger than those dimensions.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 08:32 PM   #76
NinjaPower
Rep

Quote:
I'm a big Thule fan, but you can choose others. Do you really need XXL? Mine is XL and plenty long.

Most important for a cargo box is your duffle bag game. Buy a Set of 6 duffle bags and have your passengers pack them to 80% full. With the 3rd Row up, there is barely enough room for a cooler or a stroller. We have a set of duffels only for use with the cargo box. They're a cargo box accessory.

Search Amazon for "Vorspack Duffel Bag 28 Inches Foldable Duffle Bag" as those fit perfectly. If you don't like the brand or design, buy something no larger than those dimensions.
Yeah... I don't know if I need an XL or an XXL.
I have 2 teenagers (18 so "adult" I guess and 16), plus 2 little ones 4 and 6.
We have this folding wagon to carry stuff around on beaches.

I don't need teenagers screaming at me for not being able to fit their makeup

I've seen your posts about the duffel bags (and brilliant idea about the varying colors), I'm just really not sure which size I should get. Went to REI but I couldn't compare because they didn't have the XXL.

I guess just I'm worried about spending close to 1k on a box and ending up with smaller space than needed... so I'm thinking of going with the XXL to have enough space for whatever we may end up taking on trips.

Btw, I found these pics online, not sure how accurate they are. Also not sure if they helped or confused me more lol

Large:

XL:

XXL:

The bag sizes are not shown on the pics so it's a guessing game, but you recommended 28in (60L I believe) bags, so that's what I'll be going with.

Last edited by NinjaPower; 06-26-2023 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
GuyOh1067.00
      06-26-2023, 10:54 PM   #77
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah... I don't know if I need an XL or an XXL.
I have 2 teenagers (18 so "adult" I guess and 16), plus 2 little ones 4 and 6.
We have this folding wagon to carry stuff around on beaches.

I don't need teenagers screaming at me for not being able to fit their makeup

I've seen your posts about the duffel bags (and brilliant idea about the varying colors), I'm just really not sure which size I should get. Went to REI but I couldn't compare because they didn't have the XXL.

I guess just I'm worried about spending close to 1k on a box and ending up with smaller space than needed... so I'm thinking of going with the XXL to have enough space for whatever we may end up taking on trips.

Btw, I found these pics online, not sure how accurate they are. Also not sure if they helped or confused me. The bag sizes are not shown on the pics so it's a guessing game, but you recommended 28in (60L I believe) bags, so that's what I'll be going with.
Cool! Eyeballing the photos, looks like the XL and XXL are the same width, just different lengths. So the dimensions of the 28” duffels will work for the 6 of you. Buy something from Amazon of similar dimensions and give it a go. They’re always returnable.

Note that even though the nose of the box narrows that doesn’t mean you need narrower bags; just pack them less full. Youngest kids bags up front, bigger kids bags towards back. That’s the beauty of using duffels versus traditional luggage. They are squishable.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 05:00 AM   #78
Streetdaddy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

I just use that big square that goes into the trailer hitch. Put a big plastic Bin on there and strap it down with straps. Very east to get in and out of. Seems a lot easier than the roof box and no wind noise. What am I missing? They both look dorky but hey, im on vacation!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 06:08 AM   #79
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetdaddy View Post
I just use that big square that goes into the trailer hitch. Put a big plastic Bin on there and strap it down with straps. Very east to get in and out of. Seems a lot easier than the roof box and no wind noise. What am I missing? They both look dorky but hey, im on vacation!
I love the back porch as well for the same reasons you stated. Plus our porch folds up or I just take it off- depends on what the storage situation is where we land. Condo and I can take it inside. Hotel room- not so much.

Roof boxes typically hold more, add an element of safety plus they're weatherproof. If we're hitting weather with the back porch, I usually just wrap up in garbage bags- hello Griswolds!

Sometimes we use both the roof top and back porch when the storage needs are to that level.

Both have their pros/cons.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 06:34 AM   #80
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

I saw this product on shark tank and thought it was pretty cool and it doesn’t take up a lot of space.

https://getflated.com/products/air-c...40058521649320
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 05:14 PM   #81
ivinioX7
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
I forgot to update on the received Turtle roof rack. A German company, but mine was made in the Czech Republic, Europe. Works for me.
It does not scream quality; hence, the price speaks for itself.
Since it was designed in Germany, I expect it to be more aerodynamic, and I am talking about the contraption circled in red. The wind whistle noise starts at driving above 35mph. Hiding mechanics with a cover would reduce wind noise and could also save me 15 cents in gas on a 1000-mile trip.
Besides the cheap plastic and what I mentioned above, it feels solid and looks better (to me) than the OEM roof rack.
Attached Images

Last edited by ivinioX7; 06-29-2023 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 05:53 PM   #82
NinjaPower
Rep

Quote:
I forgot to update on the received Turtle roof rack. A German company, but mine was made in the Czech Republic, Europe. Works for me.
It does not scream quality; hence, the price speaks for itself.
Since it was designed in Germany, I expect it to be more aerodynamic, and I am talking about the contraption circled in red. The wind whistle noise starts at driving above 35mph. Hiding mechanics with a cover would reduce wind noise and could also save me 15 cents in gas on a 1000-mile trip.
Besides the cheap plastic and what I mentioned above, it feels solid and looks better (to me) than the OEM roof rack.
Ugh... Mine just arrived today and I'll be putting them on in the next few hours. I though a previous poster said there was no wind noise so that's why I went with it.
I will provide updates once I have them on.

Side note: I placed the order on Saturday on Ebay, it was shipped on Monday from Turkey and was at my doorstep at 11AM in LA. So super quick delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 06:25 PM   #83
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just got mine a few weeks ago and can confirm some wind noise starting at 30 mph or so. But we're only using ours a few times/year. Interesting, but mine was shipped from Turkey too.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 08:29 PM   #84
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the lesson there Dad....
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 09:47 PM   #85
NinjaPower
Rep

So... I installed my Turtle

Installation was fairly easy. This was my first ever roof rack installation. It took about 45 mins, including understanding the instructions (which are adequate, but not super detailed), realizing that I'm trying to put on something backwards and my two little kids calling for me every 3 minutes.
I would say that for someone who is experienced, it will take less than or about 10 minutes. I anticipate it will take that much for me next time.

The thing is nicely packaged. It also has a TÜV certificate. I looked it up and attached the screenshot.

As for quality: Black aluminum bars, nothing special there. The plastic, I would not say it's cheap, but I'm also not an expert on plastics however, there are definitely visible small burrs on some edges so maybe issues with the processing, the finishing of it?
(I have never touched a Thule or Yakima rack so have no reference as to how it should feel)

As for wind noise... Like keg97 and ivinioX7 pointed out, there is wind noise is present from 35mph. I'm going to see if I can fabricate something, maybe it's really the mechanics as ivinioX7 pointed out.
I also expected that it would be more quiet.

Box: I was able to snag a display model of the Thule Motion XT XXL for a relatively low price, so that makes make me satisfied for now.

As toddwalton pointed out, safety is important.
To me, the bars feels solid, I like that the clamping parts have a rubber cover, so the don't scratch. I tried moving them, they feel unmovable after pulling them and yanking them like crazy. I also made sure that they are aligned with the little marks on the bottom and the load limit according to the instructions is 225 lbs. But I doubt that I will carry anything even near to that...
Attached Images

Last edited by NinjaPower; 06-29-2023 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1315.00
      06-29-2023, 09:59 PM   #86
NinjaPower
Rep

As for the box itself, I think it looks pretty good... Thule Motion XT XXL.

Name:  IMG_1302.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  447.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1303.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  408.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1304.jpeg
Views: 887
Size:  1.15 MB
Appreciate 3
keg97168.00
GuyOh1067.00
      06-29-2023, 10:06 PM   #87
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
As for the box itself, I think it looks pretty good... Thule Motion XT XXL.
Looks great, nicely done!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 08:23 AM   #88
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X7 40i PB

Cant go wrong with the Thule Evo Wingbars for low profile and no rubbing. I do wish i had spent a little more and got the Thule Motion series for even a lower profile
Attached Images

Last edited by jcss812; 07-03-2023 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 1