BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Snow driving with summer tires

02-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #23
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

Me too... had ‘86 and ‘95 Mustang GT Convertibles.... the latter with the aforementioned Gatorbacks.... whew... just dumb sometimes!! :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #24
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlittlejohnx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by x7bmw23 View Post
Quote:
Just curious if anyone has ventured into some decent amounts of snow with their summer tires? I have much better snow vehicles in the stable, but none as comfortable as the X7. I'm tempted to try it out, but the 22" summer Conti's make me a bit nervous.
Just picked up summer set of Conti's today and installed on my summer set of 22" wheels. We had an extended conversation about not driving or even having the vehicle exposed/sitting outside in 40 degree temps or less will make the tire harden and show cracking quickly. He said driving on them in snow is deadly and makes the tires almost useless. Have to get a true winter set up with all seasons or a true winter tire.
Quote:
Quote:
Just curious if anyone has ventured into some decent amounts of snow with their summer tires? I have much better snow vehicles in the stable, but none as comfortable as the X7. I'm tempted to try it out, but the 22" summer Conti's make me a bit nervous.
Just picked up summer set of Conti's today and installed on my summer set of 22" wheels. We had an extended conversation about not driving or even having the vehicle exposed/sitting outside in 40 degree temps or less will make the tire harden and show cracking quickly. He said driving on them in snow is deadly and makes the tires almost useless. Have to get a true winter set up with all seasons or a true winter tire.
I really hope they can sit outside on cold temps.
I'll be furious if not. I live outside DC and have a one car garage that my motorcycles need to be in. Garage space is tough to find in my neighborhood without spending $5MM on a house which isn't something I can do. Even my 69 BMW sits outside next to my E39 M5- both usually under cover. I have to buy new Michelin's for the M5 and 1 series on a regular basis because they start to crack from sitting outside. Asking around, most people said it's a big problem on Michelin's, but not most other brands. I guess that info was incorrect.
Basement? I live in Great Falls with a 4 car garage; but we have a basement too.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #25
Xlittlejohnx
Private
Rep
Drives: 1602 E39 M5 X7 M50i 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'll be furious if not. I live outside DC and have a one car garage that my motorcycles need to be in. Garage space is tough to find in my neighborhood without spending $5MM on a house which isn't something I can do. Even my 69 BMW sits outside next to my E39 M5- both usually under cover. I have to buy new Michelin's for the M5 and 1 series on a regular basis because they start to crack from sitting outside. Asking around, most people said it's a big problem on Michelin's, but not most other brands. I guess that info was incorrect.
Basement? I live in Great Falls with a 4 car garage; but we have a basement too.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We might add a basement when we do our addition next year due to our unexpected newborn twins 🤦*♂️

I live in the North Ridge area of Alexandria City. Tried to get my wife to move somewhere I could have more garage space, but it's not gonna happen. Hopefully our garage will be part of our renovation which will at least solve the climate control issue.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #26
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We might add a basement when we do our addition next year due to our unexpected newborn twins 🤦*♂️

I live in the North Ridge area of Alexandria City. Tried to get my wife to move somewhere I could have more garage space, but it's not gonna happen. Hopefully our garage will be part of our renovation which will at least solve the climate control issue.
Congratulations! You're blessed to have twins. My little girl is 3 years old. We wish we had 2!

I'd definitely recommend finishing the basement.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #27
Xlittlejohnx
Private
Rep
Drives: 1602 E39 M5 X7 M50i 128i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Congratulations! You're blessed to have twins. My little girl is 3 years old. We wish we had 2!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! They're a bit tough to deal with right now, but should be fun eventually. My oldest, Emma, is 2 1/2 and absolutely obsessed with cars. She always points out Minis, but recognizes and loves Porsche and BMW. She's always pretending to fix her toy cars and I already have her skiing (somewhat). It's a lot of fun.

Our house doesn't have a basement now, but it's not expensive to dig out the crawl space when we do the addition. I wish my wife would let us move Great Falls for some extra land, though. I have 10 cars stashed all over town. 😝
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3683.50
      02-02-2021, 03:00 PM   #28
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! They're a bit tough to deal with right now, but should be fun eventually. My oldest, Emma, is 2 1/2 and absolutely obsessed with cars. She always points out Minis, but recognizes and loves Porsche and BMW. She's always pretending to fix her toy cars and I already have her skiing (somewhat). It's a lot of fun.

Our house doesn't have a basement now, but it's not expensive to dig out the crawl space when we do the addition. I wish my wife would let us move Great Falls for some extra land, though. I have 10 cars stashed all over town. 😝
You're always welcome over here. I'll message you my cell phone number.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 05:19 PM   #29
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Yeah I can imagine. Had to negotiate driving in about 6 inches of snow and slush in a 2001 mustang gt with Goodyear gatorbacks. When I live in the nyc area. Talk about white knuckle ride
That brings back memories .... Did a drive like that on Grand Central, driving most of the time looking through a passenger window because the '89 GT was sideways most of the way home. .... sorry, misspent youth ....
Lol yes
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2024, 08:28 AM   #30
Tywebb32182
Rep
Drives: 2019 x7 40i

Along those lines ..my tires are getting close to replacement and all I can find outside of the dealer is summer tires to replace them which I’m not going to do in NJ . Has anyone else had trouble finding Staggard x7 Continentals lately ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 08:36 AM   #31
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywebb32182 View Post
Along those lines ..my tires are getting close to replacement and all I can find outside of the dealer is summer tires to replace them which I’m not going to do in NJ . Has anyone else had trouble finding Staggard x7 Continentals lately ?
the stock tires are summer- conti premium contact 6 is a summer compound grand touring tire. if you've been driving these in the winter and wondering why they suck... thats why.

all season non runflat is avail- continental DWS06 plus. avail on tire rack, you need to search the front and rears separately since the speed rating isnt the same for the two sizes ( W and Y) so they wont show up as a matched set.
i'm having mine put on today.

there's no runflat allseason avail in 22 or 23 sizes
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 08:46 AM   #32
Tywebb32182
Rep
Drives: 2019 x7 40i

Thank you! Valuable information. We bought this car during supply chain issues spring 2022 and they first gave us tires that went flat in the cold. Then took the car back for 3 weeks waiting on the aforementioned continentals. They comped us 2 future oil changes for the hassles but I naively just assumed they were all season being it’s the Northeast . Going from an x5 to an x7 I always feel the weight and a little slide but now that you point it out the few times I’ve driven in the snow have been very dicey with an sort of elevation change. Can’t believe they didn’t give me a heads up about the tires. ParkAve bmw
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 12:22 PM   #33
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' X7 M60i; 22' TRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywebb32182 View Post
Thank you! Valuable information. We bought this car during supply chain issues spring 2022 and they first gave us tires that went flat in the cold. Then took the car back for 3 weeks waiting on the aforementioned continentals. They comped us 2 future oil changes for the hassles but I naively just assumed they were all season being it’s the Northeast . Going from an x5 to an x7 I always feel the weight and a little slide but now that you point it out the few times I’ve driven in the snow have been very dicey with an sort of elevation change. Can’t believe they didn’t give me a heads up about the tires. ParkAve bmw
It never made sense to me why BMW would put summer tires on these things anyways (same with the X5). I know the staggered fitment is the "sporty" option but this is a 5500+ lb vehicle with relatively soft suspension, that just doesn't scream summer tires to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 01:00 PM   #34
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek View Post
It never made sense to me why BMW would put summer tires on these things anyways (same with the X5). I know the staggered fitment is the "sporty" option but this is a 5500+ lb vehicle with relatively soft suspension, that just doesn't scream summer tires to me.
So they can achieve the shortened braking distance and sharper handling feel that the brand continues to advertise.

A/S make it feel less connected, longer braking distance, vague handling, less traction for launches.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 01:55 PM   #35
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsen203 View Post
So they can achieve the shortened braking distance and sharper handling feel that the brand continues to advertise.

A/S make it feel less connected, longer braking distance, vague handling, less traction for launches.
Are you just generalizing or do you actually have experience with the PremiumContact6's vs something like a DWS06+?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 01:57 PM   #36
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek View Post
Are you just generalizing or do you actually have experience with the PremiumContact6's vs something like a DWS06+?
I have experience with summers and DWS06+. Two sets of DWS’, PSS, Conti Summer, all on a variety of cars including now the X7
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 03:21 PM   #37
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsen203 View Post
I have experience with summers and DWS06+. Two sets of DWS’, PSS, Conti Summer, all on a variety of cars including now the X7
Well I can't argue with someone that has experienced both! I just see most if not all other folks really enjoying the OEM Conti -> DWS06+ swap, with no/very little loss in performance. Given the OEM is a grand touring tire and not a UHP tire, it theoretically makes sense but hoping more perspectives come out by the time I need to decide swapping winter or just all-seasons.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 04:12 PM   #38
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

do note, the premium contact 6 is a summer grand touring tire.
the other oem tire is the pirelli p zero- that is a max performance summer tire.

grand touring is a few steps down from the max perf summer. i would expect the DWS06 plus to loose some steering feel and sharpness due to the softer sidewalls (non runflat), but gain traction and braking over the Premium Contact 6 especially in the wet.

Had the tires installed today. some notes:
front tires did not take alot of weight, road force numbers were both 15lbs.
rear tires did not take alot of weight either, aside from one, the weight was the same amount as the factory, so suspect the rim itself. both rear tires had high roadforce numbers. installer tried rotating them, but at the end of it, both landed around 35lbs.
installer didnt think i would feel it being in the rear. he advised to contact tire rack if there was a noticiable vibration to warranty the tires, but he did say that very often with the wider 22s, they have high roadforce numbers.

drove for a short distance home, tires felt much more comfortable than the premium contact 6s, quieter i think, but cant tell as i swapped off of snow tires.had the car up to 70, no vibration from the rear
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2024, 08:45 PM   #39
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
Around the city you’ll be fine. But extended highway driving would get rather dicey.

The softer compound gets far too hard in the cold and causes traction and stability issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0