BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Which hatchback or SUV to get?

09-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
chevy blazer
honda passport
Smaller than a Pathfinder? Those both seem like comical overkill unless OP has three plus toddlers.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 01:36 AM   #24
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Tesla model X.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 01:59 AM   #25
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I know you said no BMW but an X1 is no BMW. Think of it as a fancy Mini.

I owned one and I loved it as an all around utility vehicle. They are well built with lots of equipment even on a base model. My base X1 was AWD and came with panoramic roof, heated seats and heated steering. It's look great and has a lot of pep.

It's also practical, and just as boring as a Mazda but roomier. The back seat has as much leg room as a limo and the AWD is infinitely superior to a Mazda set up.
Watch an AWD testing on Youtube for comparison.

You can even get a CPO in the $20's with warranty left.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #26
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
We went out & checked out some vehicles yesterday. First was the Kona. Talk about hot garbage. Neither of us liked it as soon as we sat in it. Hard pass. Too cheap looking & feeling. Then we drove a new Tucson. Not bad, but noisy inside.

Went over to Chevy and laughed at the Blazer being $40k with cloth. Hard pass. Then the Equinox was $39k, but at least with leather. Still hard pass. Drove a Cruze hatch and she liked it. Not bad interior for a cheap econobox either. I was actually going to lease one a couple years ago to use as a beater, but VW offered a too good to pass up deal on the Jetta so I got that.

Finally, we went over to Mazda to check out the CX-5 & 3 hatch. CX-5 is the winner. My only complaint w/the CX-5 is it needs more HP IMO. She really wants another SUV so the 3 is out. CX-5 is what she wants and I agree. There's a reason I have owned 5 Mazdas myself so far. Just wish their color palette was a little better.
Appreciate 1
eluded2959.00
      09-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #27
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Smaller than a Pathfinder? Those both seem like comical overkill unless OP has three plus toddlers.
those 2 vehicles are smaller then pathfinder
some people prefer big cars regardless if they have children or not
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #28
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
My only complaint w/the CX-5 is it needs more HP IMO.
Before getting my X1 I would have been perfectly happy with the power the CX-5 has, as my prior daily driver bounced between a Pilot and a 4-banger Camry. I couldn't see myself in it as a DD anymore, but I wouldn't hesitate getting one for my wife.

Quote:
Just wish their color palette was a little better.
I agree, but I do think their soul red is one of the best looking reds available.

Overall it's a good choice that she should be quite happy with.
      09-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #29
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

I leased 2016 Mazda CX-5 for 3 years. it was FWD with 2.5 liter engine. No issues with car and never took it to a dealer for any repairs. Had around 58K km when I returned it.
No complaints and I think it's a good choice
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #30
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Sell the 124 she just bought, and use the extra budget to greatly expand your options. Unless this is a second girlfriend (no judgments!), or she really, really wants a 124/miata/vert. Plenty of hatches that would be just as fun to drive and can get by with only 1 car.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #31
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Girlfriend is selling her 2016 Pathfinder to get a smaller (No full size please) SUV or a hatchback car. Mazda CX-5 is at the top of the list right now. No Nissan, Infiniti, MB, BMW, Audi etc b/c not owning that out of warranty.
That's sort of a very large spectrum of the market.
The CX-5 is a large SUV (its basially considered mid-size but there's no denying its not compact by any stretch). It's bigger than the X5 used to be. The CX3 however is a subcompact. There's no 'inbetween' like the CX4 that they get in china.

Normally I recommend the X1 (used or CPO) since it's really the right size/content. It has a massive interior too. Next would be the Nissan kicks as it also comes fully loaded for like $20k before taxes/fees.

Otherwise you can go up in size to a Honda Passport (shrunken Pilot) or down a size to a Subaru Crosstrek (which is just an impreza with a lift kit).

Hyundai's and Kia's are super pretty now.

It just depends on whether you are really buying this for size/specs or just for looks. At the end of the day they all hold 4 people and some stuff (being an SUV doesn't mean they do cargo well because the trunk space behind the seat and below the headrests is usually significantly smaller than a sedan of similar size).
Most people just buy the SUV on looks and price (sometimes brand loyalty), which isn't a bad thing since that's how most people car shop anyway.

Quote:
However, if the lease deal is right, they would be on the table. For a used purchase, the budget is $20k or less. For a new lease, under $300 per month. She prefers AWD/4WD, but not a requirement if she really likes it otherwise.
Well - there really isn't anything in the sub $300 for a lease for SUV's of any size (I'm including taxes and assuming 0 down - even in the super cheap stuff). So you're better off buying used.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #32
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
That's sort of a very large spectrum of the market.
The CX-5 is a large SUV (its basially considered mid-size but there's no denying its not compact by any stretch). It's bigger than the X5 used to be. The CX3 however is a subcompact. There's no 'inbetween' like the CX4 that they get in china.

Normally I recommend the X1 (used or CPO) since it's really the right size/content. It has a massive interior too. Next would be the Nissan kicks as it also comes fully loaded for like $20k before taxes/fees.

Otherwise you can go up in size to a Honda Passport (shrunken Pilot) or down a size to a Subaru Crosstrek (which is just an impreza with a lift kit).

Hyundai's and Kia's are super pretty now.

It just depends on whether you are really buying this for size/specs or just for looks. At the end of the day they all hold 4 people and some stuff (being an SUV doesn't mean they do cargo well because the trunk space behind the seat and below the headrests is usually significantly smaller than a sedan of similar size).
Most people just buy the SUV on looks and price (sometimes brand loyalty), which isn't a bad thing since that's how most people car shop anyway.

Well - there really isn't anything in the sub $300 for a lease for SUV's of any size (I'm including taxes and assuming 0 down - even in the super cheap stuff). So you're better off buying used.

Seth
Can get a Cx-5 right around $300 per mo on a lease. We're definitely going CX-5. Just figuring out if she wants the extra HP of the upper trims or not. The Touring w/Preferred pkg is the best value, though. *I* would want the extra HP, but it's not for me & that trim is $100+ more per mo...

Buying used = same cost per month so may as well lease new.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #33
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
Sell the 124 she just bought, and use the extra budget to greatly expand your options. Unless this is a second girlfriend (no judgments!), or she really, really wants a 124/miata/vert. Plenty of hatches that would be just as fun to drive and can get by with only 1 car.
lol she does not want a hatch & she loves the 124 as do I. No longer need a giant SUV so...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #34
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

New Rav-4, CX-5, CRV are the best in class. Honda's prices are higher leases aren't as competitive.

I'm personally biased toward Toyota since it's the "safer" choice (well-known brand, you know what your'e getting). But the CX-5 is very attractive inside and out.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #35
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can get a Cx-5 right around $300 per mo on a lease. We're definitely going CX-5. Just figuring out if she wants the extra HP of the upper trims or not. The Touring w/Preferred pkg is the best value, though. *I* would want the extra HP, but it's not for me & that trim is $100+ more per mo...

Buying used = same cost per month so may as well lease new.
Wow, a CX5 for all-in only $300 a month just sign and drive? You should definitely jump on that. I've never seen prices that low without lots due at signing.

The only difference in buying used and leasing is that you get to keep the car when the term is up vs. giving it back

Seth
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #36
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, a CX5 for all-in only $300 a month just sign and drive? You should definitely jump on that. I've never seen prices that low without lots due at signing.

The only difference in buying used and leasing is that you get to keep the car when the term is up vs. giving it back

Seth
You can still buy a car @ lease end. She doesn't plan to keep it long term.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #37
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I cross shopped a CX-5 with a VW Golf Alltrack for my daughter. Two terrific vehicles, IMHO, for the price. A difficult choice. My daughter ended up selecting the VW because of the lower height and six year warranty.

The VW is a true unicorn. I have yet to see another and they are going to stop making/selling it at the end of this year. Highly rated by both Consumer Reports AND Car & Driver. Check it out. It is available with either a manual or an automated manual (DCT).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #38
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Worked out a lease deal of $325 per month with 0 down for a AWD CX-5 Touring w/preferred pkg in Soul Red over black. Also, got them to agree to the right number on her Pathfinder so don't have to worry about selling privately. Plan is to get the CX-5 tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #39
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

VW Tiguan but a little too late.

The CX-5 is a nice looking SUV though
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #40
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You can still buy a car @ lease end. She doesn't plan to keep it long term.
Keeping the car at the end of lease term costs extra. Keeping the car at the end of the finance term costs $0

Quote:
Worked out a lease deal of $325 per month
36 payments of only $325 for 36 months? On a car that was $35k OTD? that's an amazing deal.

Seth

Last edited by sethwas; 09-06-2019 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #41
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Worked out a lease deal of $325 per month with 0 down for a AWD CX-5 Touring w/preferred pkg in Soul Red over black. Also, got them to agree to the right number on her Pathfinder so don't have to worry about selling privately. Plan is to get the CX-5 tomorrow.
Did you opt for the CX-5 with the turbo 4-cyl? That should address your issues with power.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #42
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
Did you opt for the CX-5 with the turbo 4-cyl? That should address your issues with power.
No, that is the Reserve or Signature trim for $500+ per month. Too much extra $ just for power not needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:17 PM   #43
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Keeping the car at the end of lease term costs extra. Keeping the car at the end of the finance term costs $0

36 payments of only $325 for 36 months? On a car that was $35k OTD? that's an amazing deal.

Seth
The selling $ is not $35k. It is sub $30k
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #44
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The selling $ is not $35k. It is sub $30k
Oh, sorry, for some reason I read above you got the nicest one they had that didn't have the 2.5T, and that to me was the regular touring which MSRP is about $32k which means the bank ends up leasing near $35k to you once all is said and done (taxes, fees, etc.).

Seth
Appreciate 1