BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board How are you passing time and staying entertained during the pandemic?

03-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #419
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Went for another boat ride today. We took the little fishing boats this time and it was a beautiful day for a ride. As you can see, we are boat social distancing.

Salty Dog I had to tag you since you were so sassy the other day��
We have a small cottage on Lake Muskoka that my parents bought in 1977, I haven't been up yet and I suspect there is still a bit of ice so it'll be mid may before they get put in the water. But here's some pics of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I'm working from home. Actually, I'm busy because my clients can't be on job sites, so they're available to meet over the phone. Also, I've seen a decent uptick in our more-expensive loudspeakers. My theory is good music makes staying home easier, and some wealthy people aren't too concerned about cash flow. We started waiving our usual $40 drop ship fee, so our retailers can have their loudspeakers shipped directly to the end user.

During personal time I've been kicking my ass in my gym; and cooking a lot. Golf is officially approved social distancing so there's that too. I attached a pic of what I'm wearing to the course today (kidding).
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
Reading, eating healthy, watched Sumo wrestling, E90 Forums, car videos, pushups, sit-ups, weight exercises, Yankee classics, MMA, boxing, and limiting news outlet channels. I call this a " Global Reset." God Bless us all.
The Earth is probably so happy right now lol. Think about how much decreased pollution there has been worldwide in the last few days/weeks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Went for another boat ride today. We took the little fishing boats this time and it was a beautiful day for a ride. As you can see, we are boat social distancing.

Salty Dog I had to tag you since you were so sassy the other day��
We have a small cottage on Lake Muskoka that my parents bought in 1977, I haven't been up yet and I suspect there is still a bit of ice so it'll be mid may before they get put in the water. But here's some pics of them.
That is a beautiful lake, such beautiful water for swimming, relaxing, kayaking and boating
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3574.50
      03-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #420
wpTXX5
Rep
Drives: XDrive 35i

Still working...sometimes in the office sometimes at home. We are an "essential business" and trying to keep our industry and economy going.

Also ordering Uber Eats at least once a day to support our local businesses.

I would ask everyone to support your local businesses, charities etc if you are able. I sit on the board for the local Salvation Army and we had to shut down all the stores today due to the "shelter in place". On top of laying off the employees, the stores support the rehabilitation and recovery from substance abuse of thousands of men and women. I fear if this lasts too long we will have to shut that down for a while and turn folks away in their time of need.

In an nutshell if you are able, now is the time to find someone or some organization to help financially. Every dollar counts!
Appreciate 3
Salty Dog3574.50
vreihen1615535.00
mecheng771007.00
      03-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #421
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Quote:
I'm working from home. Actually, I'm busy because my clients can't be on job sites, so they're available to meet over the phone. Also, I've seen a decent uptick in our more-expensive loudspeakers. My theory is good music makes staying home easier, and some wealthy people aren't too concerned about cash flow. We started waiving our usual $40 drop ship fee, so our retailers can have their loudspeakers shipped directly to the end user.

During personal time I've been kicking my ass in my gym; and cooking a lot. Golf is officially approved social distancing so there's that too. I attached a pic of what I'm wearing to the course today (kidding).
Quote:

What speakers do you sell. I just picked up an Anthem receiver, I can't believe how good it sounds and the room correction is so cool to experiment with and do sweeps on my various speakers, I'm amazed how flat my Studio 60v2 are with a near field sweep
While I was the Paradigm/Anthem Rep (among other brands like Parasound, JL Audio, etc.) for NY-Metro for many years; now I am the Northeast Regional Sales Manager for the legendary British loudspeaker manufacturer KEF. https://us.kef.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

What speakers do you sell. I just picked up an Anthem receiver, I can't believe how good it sounds and the room correction is so cool to experiment with and do sweeps on my various speakers, I'm amazed how flat my Studio 60v2 are with a near field sweep
While I was the Paradigm/Anthem Rep (among other brands like Parasound, JL Audio, etc.) for NY-Metro for many years; now I am the Northeast Regional Sales Manager for the legendary British loudspeaker manufacturer KEF. https://us.kef.com
I have many generations of Paradigms: studios 60v2 on my main floor with CCv2 center. In my basement I have the original 7se mkii I bought as a teenager and still sound amazing, smooth highs from the vifa and killer bass from the 8". I also have mini monitors love them and the bright monitor 7s. I pair them with a Nad c316bee, which sings.

I've been reading a lot about the Kef LS50, I'd love to audition it. I wish more audio companies would loan speakers because it's always the same brands getting reviewed. I hope your business does well as more ppl should be at home. We should start an audiophile section here. What amp/receivers do you use with your Kef or do you have Paradigms?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #422
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
My trusty Paradigm Studio v3-based setup (40s for L/R, a 570 center, Mini Monitor SL/SR, and Seismic 110 sub) was just moved into storage to make way for my KEF upgrade! While I bring new loudspeakers home very often... My baseline at home is R3 (L/R), R2c (center), Q150 (SL/SR), R8a (ATMOS "toppers"), and our new KF92 subwoofer. I also keep a pair of LS50W as a separate higher-end 2.0 setup placed to the inside of the R3s.

The LS50 is widely acknowledged as a spectacular value in true audiophile loudspeakers. Stereophile awards the LS50 their highest grade of "A (Restricted Extreme LF)." Truly amazing at $1499 when I think the next-least-expensive "A" loudspeaker is ~$5k... Even better that we often have LS50 promotions that are very aggressive. My only word of caution is if critically listening, keep listening distance no more than 3m or so. Think of the LS50 as a near-to-mid-field monitor. If you approach or exceed 3m, consider the R3 or better.

Before I move on, I have to highly suggest auditioning the KEF KF92 sub. I was perfectly happy with my Paradigm Seismic 110 until I brought home the KF92. Amazing low-bass extension (-3dB @ 11Hz), super-low distortion, great tonality, and high output.

Recently I wanted to try the R8a ATMOS toppers and using the "bounce method" for ATMOS channels, so I just had one of my dealers get me an Anthem MRX1120 receiver. There's stuff I like and things I don't like about it. Fuller sound than the Japanese brands in the same price bracket. Honestly, I didn't put a lot of thought into this AVR. I knew Anthem was a safe bet, and it's a temporary purchase anyway.
You must love your bass your Seismic is +/- 3d at 17Hz which is slightly below what we hear. AS a KEF rep I guess you have to be loyal. I have a PDR 10V3 which is old but works perfectly however I believe it might be considered boomy, which is good for movies but I turn it down for music. I think I will upgrade it soon, I've been too busy playing with ARC and REW, amazing stuff.
The one thing you get from all Paradigm subs is the room correction, I was skeptical but the correction results are amazing.

You bought the best receiver on the market currently. Yes Anthem might be low on features for some, but nothing is more musical and I can say that with confidence as I did a 1 to 1 comparison against my Denon AVR2801, Yamaha HTR 6140 and Nad C316BEE and I would rank them respectively out of 10: D-8, Y-7, N-9 but my Anthem MRX700 was a 10; there are measurements you can do to confirm how well it sounds but you can't measure imaging, I had to check if my other speakers were on. I am afraid to 'upgrade' to something that can stream music so I've been using my iPhone to stream over my apple TV airplay which is 16/48. The Yamaha sounds harsh and yes it is a lower end model so I can't say the higher end models are not good and it served me well for many years with no issues. The Nad is a tad bit too lively, the Anthem tones down the highs every so slightly to match the warmth of my Studios. I love the ARC as you can do sweeps to optimize room placement. I did a sweep of my Studio 60s and they were so flat which matches how they sound, you can't describe them with a word, they just sound good.

How is Atmos, I am currently running 5.1 and I think thats enough for now. I'm not convinced seperates will sound better than your receiver as you can have interference with the connects. Have you heard the higher end Japanese receivers, how do they compare. Some are also quite expensive and I've read ARC is better than what they have and the 720 and 520 are bargains. I hope to listen to the Kefs soon, I like british and Canadian speakers as they tend to be slightly warm but this varies on each model. I had JBLs in the 90s but didn't like the sound and the foam woofer surround would fail often.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #423
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I had to look up the speakers in the photo you attached. I thought they would be expensive..... but wasn't expecting the $224,999.00 price tag that I found lol.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #424
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Actually, nobody knows what I have in my home without me volunteering the information. As a matter of fact, I was using my Seismic 110 until we started shipping the KF92 (around Thanksgiving?). To go further... Its actually a pain in the ass to keep using the KF92 sub, because I regularly have to box it up and bring it someplace to demo for someone; then bring it back into my condo, unbox it and reconnect it. It would be SO much easier to just keep my Seismic 110 in place, and keep the (45Lb) KF92 in its box. I've become spoiled though! The KF92 is just so controlled and free of audible distortion. It is my favorite KEF product... at least for now! I'm excited to try something later in the year that promises to be revolutionary.

Very quick point on 17Hz and 11Hz being below the frequency the average person can hear... While true; we can absolutely FEEL these massive waves of pressure! There are very solid reasons we want to exceed 20Hz-20kHz linearity.

The newer Anthem MRX models have native PlayFi streaming. I'm not so enamored with PlayFi, but whatever. You can always stream from an outboard source. Maybe your Blu-ray Disc player has your streaming service of choice? If anyone is open to suggestions, BlueSound offers a true audiophile (audio) streaming solution. Maybe feed a Node 2i into your AVR?

ATMOS is absolutely the best improvement in multi-channel system performance since Dolby Pro Logic. It is truly a game-changer! Massive. What surprised me is how well the Anthem does mapping any legacy-Dolby surround format (like Dolby Digital FiOS outputs) to the ATMOS speaker configuration. Color me impressed.

I'm beyond convinced that separates are better. Honestly its not even close. Like leftovers compared to freshly-prepared food better. If only that damn high cost would get out of the way! lol

Personally, I feel ARC is the best room correction until we get to Trinnov, but that like saying I think a Corvette is the best sports car until we get to a [high-dollar exotic].
My NAD C316BEE is praised as one of the great sounding integrated amps, and it sounds great, but I prefer my Anthem ever so slightly. Yes the NAD is not super expensive but audiophiles give it praise. What separates were you favoring?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #425
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
What separates were you favoring?
Tough question!
For surround applications Trinnov is probably the best surround preamp available right now, but I really like Acurus for a surround preamp I can at least envision affording. For amplifiers Parasound Halo probably delivers all the performance I'd ever need.

For stereo applications there really are so many options it's difficult to nail anything down. I like Convergent Audio Technology's stuff a lot, but it's far outside what I can afford. Again, Parasound Halo is super legit, and priced within the realm of consideration. In the KEF Music Lounge we use a Halo JC2 preamp ($4500) and two JC1+ monoblocs ($8500 ea) in the two channel area (where the Muons are in the picture above), but a great setup is the Halo P6 preamp ($1600) with the new Halo JC5 stereo amplifier ($6000). The P6 has pretty damn good DACs... So feed Tidal (or some other high-res source) from your laptop into the USB input on the P6 and it's solid!

My advice is to make sure you're picking electronics that are a good match to your speakers. There are really good amplifiers and preamps that wouldn't be at all good with certain loudspeakers. It really is a system with components that have to complement each other for maximum benefit. One of my biggest frustrations is that too many people fail to value what more-experienced people suggest. This is the value a true Hi-Fi shop can deliver. So if you're shopping for preamps/amplifiers/Integrated amplifiers/receivers, do it at a true Hi-Fi shop that sells your brand of speakers. This way they have experience and know what electronics complements the speakers (and vice versa). Often a hifi shop can even build a demo system in their showroom using the speakers you own.
      03-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #426
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
I was going to waste $ & buy an XBox One X on Amazon to pass some time, but then I saw the Series X will be out for the holiday season so I may as well just suffer as it would be obsolete too soon.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #427
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I lost 3 lbs in the week and a half of my self-quarantine so far. Being cooped up sucks so hard that my only escape is exercise. literally, my only escape outside the house, but it’s a mental escape as well. And the endorphins smooth out the stress of every day at work in crisis mode.
Appreciate 2
M_Six17257.00
AZ171.00
      03-24-2020, 08:07 PM   #428
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

We have created a list of things to do in and around the house that we have been putting off. I normally am caught up with work by about 9-10am.

Move and mount rear channel speaker from stands to wall in home theater.
Fix small hole in wall with a remodel box and face plate in same area.
Replace blades on my mower.
Weed control on whole property. Glad I have a ranger and a 15gal sprayer.
Pressure wash deck and stain.
Pressure wash driveway.
Put out 40 large bales of pine straw.
Put in better lighting in attic storage space.
Hang decorative lighting in enclosed deck area.
Fill in holes dug by dog in back yard.
Reorganize garage for better efficiency and organization.
Finish safe room shelving project and get it organized.

Still adding things as we knock them out but we are staying busy.
Appreciate 1
wpTXX5116.00
      03-24-2020, 08:52 PM   #429
wpTXX5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
We have created a list of things to do in and around the house that we have been putting off. I normally am caught up with work by about 9-10am.

Pressure wash driveway.

Drinking a beer, ready for this stimulus bill to pass, ready to open back up the economy no later than Easter and most importantly buying key stocks. The American consumer and worker is over the hype...they are starting to see it isn't an "extended spring break" and CNN has lead them astray.

The retiring generation is now realizing that Social Security buys a big portion of the national debt and they are scratching their heads at 2.5 trillion dollars they are going to inherent a major percentage of on top of the 20 trillion plus we already owe and they own a percentage of that note as well.

The math doesn't work....hopefully we figure this out soon.
Appreciate 1
Nuckle2233.00
      03-24-2020, 08:54 PM   #430
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpTXX5 View Post
Quote:

Pressure wash driveway.

Drinking a beer, ready for this stimulus bill to pass, ready to open back up the economy no later than Easter and most importantly buying key stocks. The American consumer and worker is over the hype...they are starting to see it isn't an "extended spring break" and CNN has lead them astray.

The retiring generation is now realizing that Social Security buys a big portion of the national debt and they are scratching their heads at 2.5 trillion dollars they are going to inherent a major percentage of on top of the 20 trillion plus we already owe and they own a percentage of that note as well.

All of these activities have involved drinking beer as well
Appreciate 1
wpTXX5116.00
      03-24-2020, 09:01 PM   #431
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I lost 3 lbs in the week and a half of my self-quarantine so far. Being cooped up sucks so hard that my only escape is exercise. literally, my only escape outside the house, but it’s a mental escape as well. And the endorphins smooth out the stress of every day at work in crisis mode.
I've dropped weight as well. Mostly because we're not eating out and having big lunches. Now I grab a sammich and go back to my computer to eat while I continue to work.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 09:20 PM   #432
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I started doing tax work today along with organizing various things in my house. I've bought various organizers to finish up things I have been wanting to do. Hella boring.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #433
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

We have our daily routines down pat. I’m literally working from 630 am until 6pm. Small breaks here and there to have a meal or to stretch. Kids are in full on remote learning mode. They have daily online webex meetings with their teachers and classmates. Homework assignments and video games are sprinkled throughout the day.
Dinner time we sit down eat and decompress. After which point we try to get out for fresh air and exercise. I happen to live not too far from one of the bigger parks on Long Island. So we can head over...ride our bikes or just walk around talking as a family
As much as this virus sucks...and I hope it goes away soon....I actually enjoy these daily walks and I think I need to find a way to keep it going even after life goes back to “normal”
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #434
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F97 View Post
We have our daily routines down pat. I'm literally working from 630 am until 6pm. Small breaks here and there to have a meal or to stretch. Kids are in full on remote learning mode. They have daily online webex meetings with their teachers and classmates. Homework assignments and video games are sprinkled throughout the day.
Dinner time we sit down eat and decompress. After which point we try to get out for fresh air and exercise. I happen to live not too far from one of the bigger parks on Long Island. So we can head over...ride our bikes or just walk around talking as a family
As much as this virus sucks...and I hope it goes away soon....I actually enjoy these daily walks and I think I need to find a way to keep it going even after life goes back to "normal"
I love to hear that about keeping it going. In the past few days I have seen my neighbors sitting on their porches talking. People walk by social distancing and chat. I've seen more kids riding their bikes and also families walking around & riding bikes together. IT's been really nice to see it. It makes my neighborhood feel warmer.
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2020, 11:39 PM   #435
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
I was going to waste $ & buy an XBox One X on Amazon to pass some time, but then I saw the Series X will be out for the holiday season so I may as well just suffer as it would be obsolete too soon.
On sale from 250 to 165 dollars at Walmart.com with 3 games if you care to still get one. It is an Xbox One S, not the X.

I'm all for PS4, but figured I'd share since I saw this deal posted earlier online somewhere.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 11:47 PM   #436
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Pressure wash driveway.

Over the hype?

This is not hyped up by any means. Be glad you're still able to go out shopping for your food and all your essentials.

the US waited too long to take action talking about 'it's under control'. Yea sure it is... spreading like wildfire.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:05 AM   #437
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
This is not hyped up by any means. Be glad you're still able to go out shopping for your food and all your essentials.

the US waited too long to take action talking about 'it's under control'. Yea sure it is... spreading like wildfire.
Wrong thread. There's a separate thread discussing responses to the WuFlu.
      03-25-2020, 12:17 AM   #438
wpTXX5
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Pressure wash driveway.

Over the hype?

Got it!

Coronavirus deaths worldwide to date:16,565
Swine flu deaths (2009): 151k -575k
2018 common flu deaths US only: 61k
2017 common flu deaths world wide: 290k-650k
2017 Heart Disease Deaths US only: 365k
Estimated World Wide Heart Disease deaths: 17.9M

I don't see the stock market crashing and country shutting down every year because people can't eat healthy and exercise due to heart disease? Man it kills 365k people a year in the US alone...where is the rally cry to curb obesity and unhealthy living? Why don't the doctors complain about Heart Disease? Ask the bypass, stint, open heart doctors. Money.

Perspective is crazy
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:21 AM   #439
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Pressure wash driveway.

Over the hype?

Got it!

I don't see the stock market crashing and country shutting down every year because people can't eat healthy and exercise due to heart disease? Man it kills 365k people a year in the US alone...where is the rally cry to curb obesity and unhealthy living? Why don't the doctors complain about Heart Disease? Ask the bypass, stint, open heart doctors. Money.

Perspective is crazy
I understand (we've all seen those figures) but if more deaths can be prevented, I'm in to do my part and not bitch about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:45 AM   #440
wpTXX5
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Pressure wash driveway.

Over the hype?

Got it!

Perspective is crazy
I understand (we've all seen those figures) but if more deaths can be prevented, I'm in to do my part and not bitch about it.
The problem is people don't understand that people die. Cancer, AIDS, Ebola, Heart Disease, Flu, Bacterial Infections etc are part of life and Mother Nature, God, Allah etc. will take you when it is your time. This virus is Mother Nature or whatever you want to call it bringing balance.

The current mentality is the entire society running into a cave to starve and regress because 3 or 4 members of society died by the fire because of a natural flu virus and pre existing conditions.

My suggestion, anyone vulnerable should go into the "cave" and the hearty people that can withstand and fight off the virus/Mother Nature should continue on life/economy. Just like every other flu strain...see below for the flu strains we have survived:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...and-beyond.htm

Doubtful we will ever agree but cheers to a good back and forth! As much as you and I hate to admit it, every human life is economic. The US government currently puts a US Soldier at $100k.
Appreciate 1