BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board How are you passing time and staying entertained during the pandemic?

03-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #463
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The point your missing is the government mandating things to save lives. The government isn't mandating helmets for vehicle occupants, yet we average ~39 deaths a day from motor vehicle accidents in the US. Why? It isn't because the risk is only to ourselves, or we'd be mandating helmets for at least minors. It is because we weigh the risk against other factors. That's what needs to be done with the WuFlu. We need to weigh the various factors at play, and not just look at the public health component in a vacuum.
No - I'm not missing that point. They mandate things to save lives. NZ mandates helmets for motorcycles, and has mandated seatbelts for cars ever since I was a child. Even in the US, they mandate certain car seats until a child reaches a certain weight.

The difference is, if they did nothing we'd be averaging a lot more than 39 deaths a day from COVID-19. A LOT more.

The bit you're missing is that this threat is self-spreading and increasing, whereas car accidents are not.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #464
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Quote:
The point your missing is the government mandating things to save lives. The government isn't mandating helmets for vehicle occupants, yet we average ~39 deaths a day from motor vehicle accidents in the US. Why? It isn't because the risk is only to ourselves, or we'd be mandating helmets for at least minors. It is because we weigh the risk against other factors. That's what needs to be done with the WuFlu. We need to weigh the various factors at play, and not just look at the public health component in a vacuum.
No - I'm not missing that point. They mandate things to save lives. NZ mandates helmets for motorcycles, and has mandated seatbelts for cars ever since I was a child. Even in the US, they mandate certain car seats until a child reaches a certain weight.

The difference is, if they did nothing we'd be averaging a lot more than 39 deaths a day from COVID-19. A LOT more.

The bit you're missing is that this threat is self-spreading and increasing, whereas car accidents are not.
The point is that we Americans simply don't accept government mandates that we deem unreasonable. There's a great reason why... We're not fans of tyranny! Society accepted this WuFlu lockdown because it felt like the prudent thing to do while we wrapped our heads around the situation. When people see that tens of millions of people aren't going to die, and the death rate is likely less than the flu; people aren't going to accept economic destruction. They're not going to accept losing their livelihood. They're not going to accept going bankrupt. They're not going to accept a huge downgrade in their standard of living. Not when this virus from China doesn't threaten the lives of the vast majority of people.
      03-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #465
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
The girlfriend is off work today. I asked her if she wanted to grab lunch today without realizing the governor had issued a state-wide order closing restaurants aside from take out orders......shit.

.....and here's Tom with the weather.
Yeah, I just grabbed a hotdog and pop from Costco, and they wouldn't even let me eat it in the space where they usually had tables. They shooed me away and told me I had to take it out otherwise they would have a bunch of people gathering and then they'd be in violation of the emergency measures.

So I took a meandering path to the exit and finished the hotdog before I got there.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #466
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
*snip* Not when this virus from China doesn't threaten the lives of the vast majority of people.
It's not? I thought you were a speaker salesman, not a virus expert. My bad.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3861.50
      03-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #467
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
*snip* Not when this virus from China doesn't threaten the lives of the vast majority of people.
It's not? I thought you were a speaker salesman, not a virus expert. My bad.
We don't have to be a "virus expert" to understand the situation jerkoff. If you believe the WuFlu threatens the lives of the vast majority of people; then I understand your fear. I just don't see that outcome as a realistic possibility.
      03-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #468
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We don't have to be a "virus expert" to understand the situation jerkoff. If you believe the WuFlu threatens the lives of the vast majority of people; then I understand your fear. I just don't see that outcome as a realistic possibility.
We'll never know because they are not letting it get to that stage - they are taking action to prevent it, and like Y2K, you will be one of those at the end saying it was not going to be as bad as feared, and all the shutdowns were a waste of time. I'll be saying if it weren't for the shutdowns, we can't possibly know how bad it could have been, but all indications are that it could be a hell of a lot worse than it is now - you don't see it that way, and that's fine.
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #469
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Yeah, I just grabbed a hotdog and pop from Costco, and they wouldn't even let me eat it in the space where they usually had tables. They shooed me away and told me I had to take it out otherwise they would have a bunch of people gathering and then they'd be in violation of the emergency measures.

So I took a meandering path to the exit and finished the hotdog before I got there.
I noticed when I picked up lunch that the gas station across the street had their picnic tables roped off. Wow. We aren't allowed to sit outside either.

I kinda feel like we are interrupting a face-off between Glenn and dino. Back to the show.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 12:41 PM   #470
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I noticed when I picked up lunch that the gas station across the street had their picnic tables roped off. Wow. We aren't allowed to sit outside either.

I kinda feel like we are interrupting a face-off between Glenn and dino. Back to the show.
I'm warming up my shooting irons - this is going to be a bloodbath
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #471
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm warming up my shooting irons - this is going to be a bloodbath
I have nothing but respect for both of you fine gents. Let's keep it clean, protect yourself at all times, touch gloves and let's get it on.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #472
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have nothing but respect for both of you fine gents. Let's keep it clean, protect yourself at all times, touch gloves and let's get it on.
I'm not touching gloves - if you can touch someone, you're too close

I follow the rules
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13159.00
      03-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #473
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The point is that we Americans simply don't accept government mandates that we deem unreasonable. There's a great reason why... We're not fans of tyranny! Society accepted this WuFlu lockdown because it felt like the prudent thing to do while we wrapped our heads around the situation. When people see that tens of millions of people aren't going to die, and the death rate is likely less than the flu; people aren't going to accept economic destruction. They're not going to accept losing their livelihood. They're not going to accept going bankrupt. They're not going to accept a huge downgrade in their standard of living. Not when this virus from China doesn't threaten the lives of the vast majority of people.
Sorry but I am really tired of the flu comparisons. Its not the same. I don't ever recall an ICU filled with intubated patients, some 30-40 years old because of the flu. Its scary for those of experiencing it first hand. I dont have a problem discussing the economy at the same time. Its unfortunate but necessary and I say that having lost a substantial amount.

Btw, I love my kef ci inwalls. You moved on from Loxone?
Appreciate 1
Maynard3861.50
      03-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #474
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

I'm thinking this is the wrong topic based on the title of the thread, but I guess you could say this is something I do to pass the time. I don't know if it's been posted yet but here's a good, unbiased source of information on coronavirus statistics.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Maybe it will help with the on-going debate. <shrug>
Appreciate 1
Maynard3861.50
      03-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #475
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Many of the food closings in my nabe seem to be voluntary. All Chinese restaurants, some pizza places, some coffee & muffins stores... Many food places, but not all.
One Mexican place is giving a free Margarita with every pick-up order!

Murf
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13159.00
      03-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #476
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Many of the food closings in my nabe seem to be voluntary. All Chinese restaurants, some pizza places, some coffee & muffins stores... Many food places, but not all.
One Mexican place is giving a free Margarita with every pick-up order!

Murf
I picked up lunch at a mexican eatery today and noticed that they had a sign stating that they will deliver margaritas. Not too shabby.
Appreciate 1
wpTXX5116.00
      03-25-2020, 03:25 PM   #477
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
First, taking the economy into consideration isn't some loony concept. NOT taking the economy into consideration is what is reckless and downright stupid.

But don't speak in opaque terms. How many deaths (not contractions) do you think is going to happen? We would need tens of thousands of additional deaths to just get to how many perish from the flu every year!

It should be noted that it sounds as though your personal economic situation isn't in jeopardy. Further, you plan to use your "I'm essential card" to get around the restrictions you're such a fan of. That's the definition of being a hypocrite.
So first off I'm going to drive about sealed up in my car, not interact with anybody, so not really hypocritical (and I don't think anybody's financial situation is really secure right now). It was my attempt to infuse a little positivity to an already grim thread.

I DK what you mean about opaque terms (or 'contractions') but I think you are certainly going to get an awful lot of deaths out of this - you seem to infer that it is less lethal than flu, or that it is somehow replacing the flu, neither of which is true (regular flu is still out there killing just as many as ever). COVID19 appears to be 10x-20x as lethal as typical flu, and about 3-6x as virulent. My analogy to 9/11 is that I think that we are on the verge of a new kind of collapse, if the hospitals cave in. That is what the restrictions are trying to prevent, albeit late and half-assed. Projections I'm seeing are that we will need 3x-6x the number of beds currently available, and those estimates are before we start losing providers to the virus or self-quarantining. And then there are all those people having heart attacks and car crashes that will die b/c they can't get routine care.

I know it is really taking a bite out of the high end audio sales world right now, but I think preventing a mass casualty scenario might just be worth the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #478
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

It's just me and the dog, in a new town (been here 5 months), stuck in an 850 square foot apartment. Keeping in touch with friends and family from back home is about the only thing keeping me sane.
Appreciate 3
wpTXX5116.00
wdb4759.50
      03-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #479
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I spent about half an hour hunting down 32-bit apps on my Macbook Pro today. Can't update to the latest MacOS (or buy a new computer) until they have all been either removed or replaced with 64-bit versions. There are soooooooo many old specialized 32-bit apps that I have collected over the years where the developer is long gone, so this is going to be an ongoing project as time permits that may ultimately lead to nowhere.....
      03-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #480
wpTXX5
Rep
Drives: XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Quote:
First, taking the economy into consideration isn't some loony concept. NOT taking the economy into consideration is what is reckless and downright stupid.

But don't speak in opaque terms. How many deaths (not contractions) do you think is going to happen? We would need tens of thousands of additional deaths to just get to how many perish from the flu every year!

It should be noted that it sounds as though your personal economic situation isn't in jeopardy. Further, you plan to use your "I'm essential card" to get around the restrictions you're such a fan of. That's the definition of being a hypocrite.
So first off I'm going to drive about sealed up in my car, not interact with anybody, so not really hypocritical (and I don't think anybody's financial situation is really secure right now). It was my attempt to infuse a little positivity to an already grim thread.

I DK what you mean about opaque terms (or 'contractions') but I think you are certainly going to get an awful lot of deaths out of this - you seem to infer that it is less lethal than flu, or that it is somehow replacing the flu, neither of which is true (regular flu is still out there killing just as many as ever). COVID19 appears to be 10x-20x as lethal as typical flu, and about 3-6x as virulent. My analogy to 9/11 is that I think that we are on the verge of a new kind of collapse, if the hospitals cave in. That is what the restrictions are trying to prevent, albeit late and half-assed. Projections I'm seeing are that we will need 3x-6x the number of beds currently available, and those estimates are before we start losing providers to the virus or self-quarantining. And then there are all those people having heart attacks and car crashes that will die b/c they can't get routine care.

I know it is really taking a bite out of the high end audio sales world right now, but I think preventing a mass casualty scenario might just be worth the inconvenience.
Just stop...and let's see what Easter looks like
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #481
wpTXX5
Rep
Drives: XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpTXX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Quote:

Just stop...and let's see what Easter looks like
BTW DFW is the fourth largest MSA behind NYC, LA and Chicago
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #482
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I cook more!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
scostu1623.00
MKSixer34190.50
Conissah1576.00
Salty Dog3574.50
Rmtt8222.00
rebekahb3142.50
NEfan5082660.00
      03-25-2020, 06:38 PM   #483
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
I cook more!!
Going by the lack of veges, I'm going to guess you're male and single?
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615518.50
Salty Dog3574.50
      03-25-2020, 06:52 PM   #484
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Going by the lack of veges, I'm going to guess you're male and single?
Spot on! Lol

Wine counts as veggies substitute right?! I did end up adding some leafy greens to the plate later on though. Needed it.
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3574.50
Rmtt8222.00